shape
carat
color
clarity

How much does this 12ct natural emerald really worth minimally?

HGar

Shiny_Rock
Why are you seemingly obsessed with resale value? If you are seriously buying stones to onsell then you don’t buy from a shopfront - they’ve already increased the price to make a profit. You need to buy secondhand / pawn shop / eBay etc to get a bargain to then make a profit upon sale.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@kakadutt I am attaching a chart from GIA with treatments. None of the stones have acceptable clarity, so they are enhanced. You absolutely do not want an emerald with major clarity issues. It doesn't look good, plus it will be more fragile.

Actually, read about it from the real experts: https://www.gia.edu/emerald-quality-factor

145790.jpg

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
holding the actual stone and screen capture from video call:
the color looks so much lighter. do you think this actual color makes its value higher or lower...?

IMG_7642.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7641.jpg
    IMG_7641.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7640.jpg
    IMG_7640.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Please educate yourself with the information we've provided. These are not good stones you are asking about. I think it might even look worse in the latest photos.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Why are you seemingly obsessed with resale value? If you are seriously buying stones to onsell then you don’t buy from a shopfront - they’ve already increased the price to make a profit. You need to buy secondhand / pawn shop / eBay etc to get a bargain to then make a profit upon sale.

thankyou, i just don't want to pay a whole lot more in price than it's worth...

dvj

Shiny_Rock
You know if you like the ring settings from James Allen you can purchase a gem elsewhere and have them set it for a small fee. (At least this used to be the case). It might be worth looking into.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please educate yourself with the information we've provided. These are not good stones you are asking about. I think it might even look worse in the latest photos.

OP doesn't wsnt to do that, unfortunately. He or she just keeps trying to ask the same thing in 500 ways hoping for a new answer. We tried so hard to give legit advice and even recommend better stones (on both threads). Sadly, I think it's pretty pointless.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
OP doesn't wsnt to do that, unfortunately. He or she just keeps trying to ask the same thing in 500 ways hoping for a new answer. We tried so hard to give legit advice and even recommend better stones (on both threads). Sadly, I think it's pretty pointless.

why should i just take your opinion as gold without asking questions to verify? the difficult part is..you can't provide a good explanation for your judgement

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
why should i just take your opinion as gold without asking questions to verify? the difficult part is..you can't provide a good explanation for your judgement

Myself and literally everyone else have told you why the stone Is bad. So so many times. On both threads. In detail.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Look-we are all mainly consumers-many like @lovedogs with YEARS and YEARS of experience with diamonds and gems.

The community is just trying to save you good money. Take everyone's advice as you will-it's your money to waste.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
i just don't want to pay a whole lot more in price than it's worth

You may not want to, but this is how the trade works. When you're buying a stone, you aren't paying just for the stone - you're paying for the work of the miners, the cutter, all the agents up the chain, up to the vendor and their business expenses and profit margin. You're not paying 2k because the stone is worth it to the last cent, you're paying for service, transport, insurance, and so on, and so on.

I'll be honest, you're crossing a line here and will alienate a lot of the people who've been helping you.

This forum has gathered people who've purchased and owned coloured stones with cumulative value probably into the six-figure sums. People who've been buying gems for years, who've seen both good and bad, who have shopped online and based on photos and videos alone, who have learned through experience to recognise a good stone from a bad one.

You came here asking for advice. People gave it to you. They donated their time and knowledge for your benefit and you... idk what, ask for credentials or something?

You're not obligated to take the advice you've received. You asked, you got responses, now it's up to you to decide whether to buy an emerald from JA or not. It's your money and only you decide what to do with it. Arguing with the advice you've received here isn't likely to lead to anything productive.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
You may not want to, but this is how the trade works. When you're buying a stone, you aren't paying just for the stone - you're paying for the work of the miners, the cutter, all the agents up the chain, up to the vendor and their business expenses and profit margin. You're not paying 2k because the stone is worth it to the last cent, you're paying for service, transport, insurance, and so on, and so on.

I'll be honest, you're crossing a line here and will alienate a lot of the people who've been helping you.

This forum has gathered people who've purchased and owned coloured stones with cumulative value probably into the six-figure sums. People who've been buying gems for years, who've seen both good and bad, who have shopped online and based on photos and videos alone, who have learned through experience to recognise a good stone from a bad one.

You came here asking for advice. People gave it to you. They donated their time and knowledge for your benefit and you... idk what, ask for credentials or something?

You're not obligated to take the advice you've received. You asked, you got responses, now it's up to you to decide whether to buy an emerald from JA or not. It's your money and only you decide what to do with it. Arguing with the advice you've received here isn't likely to lead to anything productive.

i agree with everything you are saying up to the point about 'crossing a line'. you have probably not seen the entirety of my conversation with @lovedogs in the past days in 2 different threads. My comment here is not at all crossing a line. it is a conclusion from our interactions from my end.

Also, @lovedogs explained her point of view in 'details' twice in response to different things i was asking. Ever since then, she's in my thread talking about how i do not listen to her conclusion. What is the problem of pointing that out that someone has a sensitive pride situation going on here. My questions aren't meant to be a challenge to her knowledge, you know? I highly doubt anyone can claim authority here anyways, and I am absolutely greener then most of you. But that doesn't mean she can just be in threads dropping negative messages throughout that have nothing to do with the questions. I am sure you understand that.

I am getting someone to see the stones, so I am learning new information about the stone as we speak. And of course I update this thread to ask if this is what we assume it is judging from new photos and colors in reality. @lovedogs takes this as I am asking the same questions many times to ignore her conclusion of what she saw from a video. that does not make any sense to deny anything so much so certainly, especially when you have not seen it in person.

Last edited:

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Myself and literally everyone else have told you why the stone Is bad. So so many times. On both threads. In detail.

i'm curious, if you feel like you have tried to help me, you are free to simply stop. why bother adding in another person's reply and be like' this is pointless helping her'? that wasn't just helping.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is my last post on this thread. We've tried to be helpful. I've even provided you with the link to GIA, the entity that trains gemologists through their institute. You are just arguing at this point. You are also free to stop replying. Again, educate yourself and stop trying to change our minds so you hear what you want to hear.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
holding the actual stone and screen capture from video call:
the color looks so much lighter. do you think this actual color makes its value higher or lower...?

IMG_7642.jpg

So much lower.

I do not think this would have virtually any resale value.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
OP, for us to be most helpful, I think you need to prioritize what’s most important to you.

1. size
2. quality
3. is a real ruby/emerald
4. cost (to you)
5. resale cost (in the event that you would eventually want to sell it)

Myself and the other folks here are largely weighing in on 2 (because we can judge it) and 5 (because you’ve mentioned this, and we can judge that some based on the quality).

If, for example, you had a budget and you wanted help to find the highest quality and most capable of keeping its resale value stone, fabulous. We can help.

The stone you’re looking at right now is certainly large and (most likely) an emerald. But it is overpriced, low quality, and won’t have resale value.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
OP, for us to be most helpful, I think you need to prioritize what’s most important to you.

1. size
2. quality
3. is a real ruby/emerald
4. cost (to you)
5. resale cost (in the event that you would eventually want to sell it)

Myself and the other folks here are largely weighing in on 2 (because we can judge it) and 5 (because you’ve mentioned this, and we can judge that some based on the quality).

If, for example, you had a budget and you wanted help to find the highest quality and most capable of keeping its resale value stone, fabulous. We can help.

The stone you’re looking at right now is certainly large and (most likely) an emerald. But it is overpriced, low quality, and won’t have resale value.

super helpful. thank you. i am looking for a ruby or a emerald at 2000 range. hopefully not tiny in size. let me know if you have any good find. thanks! also, i found this ruby at 1ct. GIA certif. they said it's untreated. How much is a good price for this 1 ct stone? 570_673652674.jpg

Attachments

• 570_1287738670.jpg
    570_1287738670.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 20

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
This is my last post on this thread. We've tried to be helpful. I've even provided you with the link to GIA, the entity that trains gemologists through their institute. You are just arguing at this point. You are also free to stop replying. Again, educate yourself and stop trying to change our minds so you hear what you want to hear.

im not buying this. but i am tryin to understand what is worse or better

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I'd pay one thin dollar. On seconds thoufghts, I take that back.

Move on. Sorry.

dagongren

Rough_Rock
In my opinion, bright and colorful, good clarity, good cut and sparkle is more important than size.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
super helpful. thank you. i am looking for a ruby or a emerald at 2000 range. hopefully not tiny in size. let me know if you have any good find. thanks! also, i found this ruby at 1ct. GIA certif. they said it's untreated. How much is a good price for this 1 ct stone? 570_673652674.jpg

With valuing rubies it goes beyond the report. Origin affects price as does hue and tone. Some people only want Burmese and top color, which in my opinion is subjective.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resale of any gemstone is likely to be less than you paid for it UNLESS it’s the highest quality and rarest of gemstones. Do not buy if you’re looking to make a profit because you’ll be bankrupt in a month.

What I suggest you do is pick one gemstone then search this forum for all threads in that particular gemstone. Read everything and educate yourself on what’s good and not good. You need to develop an eye - this isn’t something you learn overnight. All your posts recently have shown sub-par gemstones that most people would avoid. So instead of asking about value or resale, take time to learn. It won’t take long but you’ll quickly see the differences.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results