shape
carat
color
clarity

How much does this 12ct natural emerald really worth minimally?

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, I am looking at this beautiful colored large over 12ct natural emerald. I am very new to gemstone, I'd love it if people with trained eyes can help me to understand a reasonable price I should pay for it that will allow it to at least hold the value over time- I want to buy it for the minimal amount i can re-sell it for as a private individual, not a professional. This stone is 12mmx18 and oiled with no other treatment. No more info is given other than that this comes from a reputable store. What do you think? Is this a rare piece at this opacity at this size? See the video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EOzyDfrD0JfbmlDvjEC0fbwx_Skrk6_-/view?usp=share_link Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 7.53.14 PM.png

Last edited:

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Any professional comments are welcome!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another very bad choice. It's not going to resell for much, if at all

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Another very bad choice. It's not going to resell for much, if at all

any particular thing that makes it bad that i should look out for?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Example of a quality emerald:

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Very dark, very included, not well cut, not from a source of good emeralds (if it's from JA), no "glow" that people look for in emeralds

thank you so much. very insightful! where would be an online source you would actually go to? if not JA?

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Example of a quality emerald:

would this be a good one with good price? https://www.jamesallen.com/gemstones/green-emerald/2.26-carat-oval-sku-78106

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Any quality gem needs a reputable lab report. Moreover, it is not enough to state, "oil only." Even oil treatment can be minor, moderate, or significant and the level greatly impacts value. Not to be unkind, but this is not a quality gem and is not worthy of a lab report - that's why it doesn't have one. Please start by reading the new to gemstone buying thread. There is virtually no way for a newcomer to make any amount money buying and selling gems, and even long-standing experts usually do not buy gems as an investment.

From GIA: In colored stones, transparency and clarity are closely linked. This is especially true for emeralds. The trade generally accepts eye-visible inclusions in higher-quality emeralds. But when the inclusions have a negative effect on transparency and clarity, they also dramatically reduce value.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you so much. very insightful! where would be an online source you would actually go to? if not JA?

There's a pinned post with bunches of vendors.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Any quality gem needs a reputable lab report. Moreover, it is not enough to state, "oil only." Even oil treatment can be minor, moderate, or significant and the level greatly impacts value. Not to be unkind, but this is not a quality gem and is not worthy of a lab report - that's why it doesn't have one. Please start by reading the new to gemstone buying thread. There is virtually no way for a newcomer to make any amount money buying and selling gems, and even long-standing experts usually do not buy gems as an investment.

From GIA: In colored stones, transparency and clarity are closely linked. This is especially true for emeralds. The trade generally accepts eye-visible inclusions in higher-quality emeralds. But when the inclusions have a negative effect on transparency and clarity, they also dramatically reduce value.

thank you so much. so in reality, how much is this quality of stone being sell at? 50 usd per carat or something like that?

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
thank you so much. so in reality, how much is this quality of stone being sell at? 50 usd per carat or something like that?

There is virtually no way to estimate the price without a lab report because the level of treatment is unknown. It could be worth as much as a piece of glass. It is not really a gem grade stone and so it is difficult to put a price on even in the best of circumstances. The JA stone, while better, is still not a good stone, price or investment. I have posted on JA colored stones many times; none of them are good and I am positive that JA does not adequately disclose treatment level.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We can't estimate anything without a legit lab report. I personally wouldn't pay anything for it because it's not attractive to me and I don't buy anything without knowing what I'm getting

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
For the record, I don't think you realise you're posting videos with restricted access. The only way for people to view them is by providing you with their gmail account, which isn't something I'd expect to happen.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
There is virtually no way to estimate the price without a lab report because the level of treatment is unknown. It could be worth as much as a piece of glass. It is not really a gem grade stone and so it is difficult to put a price on even in the best of circumstances. The JA stone, while better, is still not a good stone, price or investment. I have posted on JA colored stones many times; none of them are good and I am positive that JA does not adequately disclose treatment level.

can i ask why you belive JA does not adequately disclose treatment level?

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Nope, still makes you sign into Google. But we don't need the video to know it's a bad stone.

you are a vendor yourself? what kind of stone can you get for say 2000 usd?

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
can i ask why you belive JA does not adequately disclose treatment level?

1) Because stating oiled, as explained earlier, is insufficient

2) You can clearly see that some rubies etc are marked as "heat" when obviously they have undergone lead glass or similar treatment. They are of course HEATED to get the glass in but they are not HEAT-ONLY. Lead glass gems are of very low value.

3) Even absent any treatments, I don't think JA is dealing with quality gems. All of them (at a cursory glance) possess major flaws and are seriously overpriced.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Nope, still makes you sign into Google. But we don't need the video to know it's a bad stone.

I believe the link works
1) Because stating oiled, as explained earlier, is insufficient

2) You can clearly see that some rubies etc are marked as "heat" when obviously they have undergone lead glass or similar treatment. They are of course HEATED to get the glass in but they are not HEAT-ONLY. Lead glass gems are of very low value.

3) Even absent any treatments, I don't think JA is dealing with quality gems. All of them (at a cursory glance) possess major flaws and are seriously overpriced.

JA confirmed no other treatment other than heating. Price goes, what is an appropriate price for this stone?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you are a vendor yourself? what kind of stone can you get for say 2000 usd?

No, I'm not a vendor. Are you looking for a 2000 emerald? We can help with that

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe the link works

JA confirmed no other treatment other than heating. Price goes, what is an appropriate price for this stone?

We keep telling you that it's a bad stone and extremely overpriced. Peraonally I wouldn't buy it for $10 because it's not attractive. You will not resell it for anywhere near the price if you buy it

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For 2k, I like these:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe the link works

Hard to determine an appropriate price. It comes down to who would wear it. I would never wear it but I’d buy it for $150 for my son to play with.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I'd love it if people with trained eyes can help me to understand a reasonable price I should pay for it that will allow it to at least hold the value over time- I want to buy it for the minimal amount i can re-sell it for as a private individual, not a professional.
I beg of you, don’t purchase emeralds with the thought of it being an investment. And likewise be cautious buying gemstones because you want them to keep value.

Buy gems because they’re pretty, and/or because you like them.

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
For 2k, I like these:

Two gorgeous choices, @lovedogs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results