color
clarity

How much does a poor cut impact colour

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
I'm actually loving that .67 OEC. Wondering how I could make it work setting wise. I can't get insurance on the stone for a different setter as I'm not American.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
everstone|1450223848|3961989 said:
Shellcm|1450219931|3961953 said:
They have assured me I will only see colour if I look for it. She thinks I should stick with the L instead of going to another non ideal I. Should I go against her advice and get this instead? http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.70-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-688416

She's lying and just trying to make a sale. Yes, even these "honest" online retailers will say whatever they want you to hear to make their job easier.

Go with your gut. You already said that you're worried about L color. If you're already worried, you're not going to be able to stop thinking about it when you receive the diamond. I initially had a 1ctw J colored diamond that I had to ship back to WhiteFlash even though they told me I would only see the warmth from the side. I believed them that it would be ok, but I saw it every time I looked at the diamond, and I was working with a GIA certified gemologist at WhiteFlash. You think he would've saved me the trouble, but no.

Them saying "you will only see colour if I look for it" is code for "it is yellow."

Look, J is already pretty bad. Imagine how L will be. Most stores actually don't even sell L. Go with your gut and get the best diamond you can live with for the best price.

I'm sorry - who are we defaming here? Do be careful, Everstone, on the basis that you're just guessing and are basing your comments completely on guess work and personal bias.

As others have said, I wouldn't go with warmer than a J, and preferably no warmer than an I. I recently bought an I VS2 and it's a large stone, so any color is going to be very obvious. I'm also color sensitive - yet I am VERY happy with my new stone and, while looking more like a soft white, rather than a cold white, it's still definitely white, not ivory.

Would you consider Blue Nile? They have low overheads, so you normally get more diamond for your money.

For an old cut, tho - I liked that .81 OEC very much. When you say your budget is $1900, do you mean US or Australian? And does it need to include tax and shipping?

Personally, I'd be considering *this*:

www.Bluenile.com - then, in the search box in the top right corner, enter search number LD06303944 . I think you'd find that to be a very nice diamond for the money and still a reasonable size, at just a shade under 5.7mm. Bank wire price is $2009 tho, so I'm not sure if you have that level of flexibility.

I hope you find something you love, shellcm!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
mrs-blop|1450442194|3962976 said:
I'm sorry - who are we defaming here? Do be careful, Everstone, on the basis that you're just guessing and are basing your comments completely on guess work and personal bias.

I've come to the conclusion that's either a troll account, or a disgruntled customer. He came here in one post asking if a too large table hurt performance, and in other posts dissing WF and saying there's no benefit of an ACA over other cuts.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Andelain|1450462935|3963103 said:
mrs-blop|1450442194|3962976 said:

I've come to the conclusion that's either a troll account, or a disgruntled customer. He came here in one post asking if a too large table hurt performance, and in other posts dissing WF and saying there's no benefit of an ACA over other cuts.

Plus making silly assertions/claims and then when asked to provide proof merely responds with they can't find where it was stated but it makes sense if you think about it.

everstone

Rough_Rock
foxinsox|1450425988|3962956 said:
everstone|1450403869|3962873 said:
ariel144|1450403168|3962868 said:
http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-diamond/0-dot-90ct-gia-h-si1-round-brilliant-1-dot-1-hca;7356

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-diamond/dot-81ct-euro-cut

That's a poor cut if I ever did see one...
You do realise that's an old european cut not a modern brilliant? so it's completely different to a MRB and not necessarily a poor cut at all..

Euro Cut, whatever. You could call Hillary Donald Trump, that still doesn't make her a winner.

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
Hey Shell - are you saying that due to international insurance restrictions you have to have the person who sells you the stone, also do the setting? Jewels by Grace could probably set it for you too. You mentioned wanting a 6-prong setting - I can't find the thread but another pricescoper who went by the handle "pumpkinsareawesome" recently completed a project with a simple, pretty Stuller 6-prong setting that, I think, was said to cost about $5-600. That still puts you a bit out of budget but it's a start to the setting conversation.

Here's pumpkin's finished product: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/introducing-my-wonky-diamond-ring.217499/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/introducing-my-wonky-diamond-ring.217499/[/URL]

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
Hi mrsblop, I have looked at bluenile and found this one. http://www.bluenile.com/au/build-your-own-ring/diamonds?stockno=LD06303944&compare=true for which I like this setting http://www.bluenile.com/au/build-your-own-ring/monique-lhuillier-cathedral-solitaire-ring-white-gold_57196?elem=title&track=product

My options at this time are blue mile, Brian gavin (I feel bad for wasting their time if I cancel though) or the OEC and a setting from ID jewellery or eBay/loupetroop if something miraculously appears that will work. Though I haven't seen one in real life, I just love the pictures of OEC diamonds and find myself drawn to them.

Diamondz1 - yes - most places won't set a diamond they didn't sell unless it's insured and I can't get insurance as I'm not an American resident. I'll look at that thread again - I had been reading it but didn't remember where she sourced the diamond.

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
Gotcha - pumpkin's stone and setting were from Old World Diamonds. They have a big inventory of antique stones if you're interested in OECs.

If you're still considering cancelling Brian Gavin based on color concerns, here's a GIA J (left) next to an EGL L (right) - antique cushions (from Old World Diamonds in fact!). The EGL L would be more like a GIA MNOP... but it's something to consider.

giaj_egll.jpg

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
Diamondz1|1450473402|3963193 said:
Gotcha - pumpkin's stone and setting were from Old World Diamonds. They have a big inventory of antique stones if you're interested in OECs.

If you're still considering cancelling Brian Gavin based on color concerns, here's a GIA J (left) next to an EGL L (right) - antique cushions (from Old World Diamonds in fact!). The EGL L would be more like a GIA MNOP... but it's something to consider.
Sorry I'm not great at reading between the lines, are you suggesting GIA L is a good or bad choice?

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, I'm hesitant to discourage you from the BG stone since it seems like you're ok with some tint, you might love the L. But I think a higher color would be a safer bet if you can swing it. The BG L may face up as white as the sales person indicated but, not being able to see it in person and not being able to return it would be a deal-breaker for me :/ Shopping remotely is super tricky!

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
Diamondz1|1450476811|3963219 said:
Sorry, I'm hesitant to discourage you from the BG stone since it seems like you're ok with some tint, you might love the L. But I think a higher color would be a safer bet if you can swing it. The BG L may face up as white as the sales person indicated but, not being able to see it in person and not being able to return it would be a deal-breaker for me :/ Shopping remotely is super tricky!
Yes it is. I'm thinking I'll look for an OEC. I have no idea what to look for but I'll start reading and start a thread. I always wanted one but thought they were out of my price range but I think I can do it if I go with a very simple setting. In the meantime I've asked BGD to ensure it doesn't go into production until they can send me natural light photos or video, unless it's love I'll probably be cancelling the order.. Thanks for your input.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Sorry for the troll interruption everyone.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shellcm|1450472264|3963184 said:
Hi mrsblop, I have looked at bluenile and found this one. http://www.bluenile.com/au/build-your-own-ring/diamonds?stockno=LD06303944&compare=true for which I like this setting http://www.bluenile.com/au/build-your-own-ring/monique-lhuillier-cathedral-solitaire-ring-white-gold_57196?elem=title&track=product

My options at this time are blue mile, Brian gavin (I feel bad for wasting their time if I cancel though) or the OEC and a setting from ID jewellery or eBay/loupetroop if something miraculously appears that will work. Though I haven't seen one in real life, I just love the pictures of OEC diamonds and find myself drawn to them.

Diamondz1 - yes - most places won't set a diamond they didn't sell unless it's insured and I can't get insurance as I'm not an American resident. I'll look at that thread again - I had been reading it but didn't remember where she sourced the diamond.

Hi Shellcm :)

I'm not sure if you looked up the diamond I referenced for you but...it's exactly the same stone you found that you said you liked. So maybe great minds think alike? :)

I also love OEC's, so I think you're on a winner either way. I would still suggest staying at an I or whiter, but of course one's response to color is a personal thing.

Wishing you much luck with your purchase!

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
mrs-blop|1450782475|3964727 said:
Shellcm|1450472264|3963184 said:

Hi Shellcm :)

I'm not sure if you looked up the diamond I referenced for you but...it's exactly the same stone you found that you said you liked. So maybe great minds think alike? :)

I also love OEC's, so I think you're on a winner either way. I would still suggest staying at an I or whiter, but of course one's response to color is a personal thing.

Wishing you much luck with your purchase!
Poorly worded on my part - I was just saying I had found the one you suggested :) thanks for your help. I've been leaning to OEC and looking at those more heavily :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got it! I completely understand your interest here - a good OEC is divine!

Don't forget to share with us your final choice! :)

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
ariel144|1450834129|3965079 said:
fortekitty is a long time PSr and finds the best deals on nice diamonds. I would offer her $1900 for this stone. It is lovely on a budget and probably the best you will find...if she won't take $1,900 then buy a cheaper setting. what is your total budget??:

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-diamond/0-dot-90ct-gia-h-si1-round-brilliant-1-dot-1-hca;7356

You should email her and make her an offer based on what you can afford.
The 'good' cut grade scares me and it's deep isn't it? My other issue with a private seller is that I would struggle to find someone who will set the stone, as most places won't touch a stone unless it has insurance, which I can't get as I am not American. It may be an amazing price for a .9 but I don't need a .9, though it would be nice, I would rather know I was getting a nice stone even if a bit smaller. I appreciate the suggestion, and if I am misguided I am happy to be corrected. I just have reservations.

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
I had asked Brian Gavin to hold production until I could get a natural light photo but I guess that didn't get through as I just got glamour shots. Here they are. I have asked them again for a natural light face up photo. I can see tint of course, I don't mind 'seeing tint' but it's a line for me I suppose. Having it be done with is appealing - this has been such a long process and I am sick of it to be honest.

_1176.jpeg

_1181.jpeg

_1182.jpeg

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
Here is their natural light photo...

_1183.jpeg

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
It just arrived and I am happy. My only regret is the tapered band - I think half round would have been better as it is so thin. But I will get used to it. Love the colour of the diamond!

_1269.jpeg

_1270.jpeg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that is pretty!

angela06

Shiny_Rock
Wow!!! That is one beautiful ring! That's an L? It looks crazy white. Enjoy!

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
One more for now

_1272.jpeg

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! I'm glad it all worked out for you. Its a very lovely ring.

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
Wow it's gorgeous, congrats! Enjoy her : )

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results