shape
carat
color
clarity

How many of you wear your original wedding ring?

Do you still wear your original wedding ring?

• Yes

Votes: 37 33.3%
  • Yes, but with modifications

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • No

Votes: 56 50.5%
  • I don’t wear a wedding ring

Votes: 7 6.3%

• Total voters

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I still have my original wedding ring but don't wear it these days. It's thick and chunky platinum and doesn't "go" with my new e-ring / anniversary ring. I've moved to prefer more lightweight and delicate pieces.

Like you, I am not sentimental about objects. Whatever ring is on my wedding finger is just a symbol of my happy marriage, and something pretty to look at :)

DH doesn't mind at all. He is more sentimental and likes wearing his wedding ring, but doesn't extend that to having a view on what I wear. Suits us both!

Love this balance. I think my husband is finally in the same camp - just because I do it, doesn’t mean he has to change anything!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Heck no. I do still own them but in 33 (!!) years my tastes have changed many times over! Husband doesn’t wear a ring at all.

Funny, because I am sentimental about my dear mom’s jewelry, but not mine? C03B4586-1828-4418-AA16-B2CEF0068CC1.gif

LOL - I totally get that. I am sentimental about heirlooms too but don’t feel at all that way about my things!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
My mum wore her wedding ring from the moment Dad put it on her finger
She was burried still wearing it
Dad didnt get a ring back in 1965 but when they had their 25th he got one

if i wore married i would be like mum and keep it forever on my wedding ring finger

That’s a really tender and beautiful way to do it! Lovely with your mom

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I wear my original wedding band about 50% of the time. It is a 2 mm comfort fit platinum band, so it acts as a spacer and also when I need added mm at the base of my fingers because my rings are sized kind of loose to fit over my knuckles.

Edited to add: You can see my original wedding band in my avatar pic!

I love that it’s practically incorporated into your newer gorgeous set!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My marriage is all of two months old, so yes... I’m still wearing my original wedding ring.
But here’s the thing: my wedding band was chosen specifically to compliment my “e-ring”* and it does that very nicely. I don’t particularly care for it as a stand-alone ring, however. My husband is very sentimental and I’m sure he sees this band as my forever band. I, however, see myself arguing for a different band to wear as a stand-alone band at point in the future.

* My e-ring is a James Meyer 3-stone ring I bought myself as a RHR several years ago, long before I started dating my husband. A few years ago I moved it to my left hand due to sizing issues. Meanwhile, my sweetie and I were starting to talk about engagement rings. We were planning to get an heirloom diamond reset by CvB, when it occurred to me that I’d hate to give up wearing my 3-stone every day or even moving it back to my right hand... so we agreed to use my James Meyer ring as my “engagement” ring. I’ve been promised that I can still have that re-set, but quite honestly it’s just not a high priority for me 0B42A879-131A-4A60-9D3E-A49D21E3471C.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Purchased a matching 24kt set umpteen years later in our birth country but none of us wear them except for special occasions.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Still wear my original e-ring and wedding band, but not every day. Sometimes I wear an eternity band, sometimes a five stone. Husband prefers when I wear my e-ring and wedding band, though. Not super sentimental and will probably upgrade eventually. We've been married 5 years and have poured most of our time/energy/money into building our family and updating our 110 year old home (and paying off my student loans).

Stardusted

Rough_Rock
30 years and I still wear mine. If it were just my choice, I wouldn’t but my husband is saturated sentimental. I wear plenty of rings on my right hand. I just ordered a ring for 30 years of marriage and opted for an engagement ring over the traditional anniversary band (already have those) which I will wear on my right hand. I wanted to trade in the old for a new but he said no. I still like my original set though

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My marriage is all of two months old, so yes... I’m still wearing my original wedding ring.
But here’s the thing: my wedding band was chosen specifically to compliment my “e-ring”* and it does that very nicely. I don’t particularly care for it as a stand-alone ring, however. My husband is very sentimental and I’m sure he sees this band as my forever band. I, however, see myself arguing for a different band to wear as a stand-alone band at point in the future.

* My e-ring is a James Meyer 3-stone ring I bought myself as a RHR several years ago, long before I started dating my husband. A few years ago I moved it to my left hand due to sizing issues. Meanwhile, my sweetie and I were starting to talk about engagement rings. We were planning to get an heirloom diamond reset by CvB, when it occurred to me that I’d hate to give up wearing my 3-stone every day or even moving it back to my right hand... so we agreed to use my James Meyer ring as my “engagement” ring. I’ve been promised that I can still have that re-set, but quite honestly it’s just not a high priority for me 0B42A879-131A-4A60-9D3E-A49D21E3471C.jpeg

that's lovely. i wouldn't want to give up wearing that either ;-)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep - sentimental AF.

Mine is a plain, heavy, handmade 3mm comfort fit platinum band & it has never ever left my finger since the day my husband put it there, not even for 3 surgeries - they taped it over. Husband is the same. Married 14 years in Sept.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Nope. Not sentimental. I change rings and styles.

When I got a big ring for my 20th anni , my sister asked if she could buy my original E-Ring. My DH thought it was a great idea--so she has my 1.5 MRB in its original setting. I love seeing her wear it! As for my 20th anniversary ring, I wore for 10 years then sold it.

cheers--Sharon

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
HI:

Nope. Not sentimental. I change rings and styles.

When I got a big ring for my 20th anni , my sister asked if she could buy my original E-Ring. My DH thought it was a great idea--so she has my 1.5 MRB in its original setting. I love seeing her wear it! As for my 20th anniversary ring, I wore for 10 years then sold it.

cheers--Sharon

Aw that’s wonderful that your ring had a second life with your sister!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still have my original wedding band but no longer wear it. It was a very thick band. My taste and style has changed a lot in 30 years.

melowely

Rough_Rock
We actually just went through this! My original ring became stuck, so I had it cut off. I really grappled with whether to update it with modifications (I had daydreamed in the past about ways to redesign it) or just go with something new. Ultimately decided to go with a new custom. (I’ve only just bought the the gemstone, plan to finish it by January for our 15th anniversary.) I’m also very sentimental so I was torn, but the new ring will be a nod to the old.

My original is a Marquise diamond with round sapphire side stones. The new one will be a round Montana sapphire with two pear or Marquise (haven’t decided) diamond side stones. I loved the Montana sapphire because the color changes remind me of the many colors (or seasons) of marriage. It also reminds me of the ocean, which is a big part of our story. There are other little details I have in mind to make it special.

As for my original, I think I’d like to turn it into a pendant at some point. That way it’s still a special piece that I can wear, just in a different way.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I never liked my original set so they sit in a drawer. And I’m notbsentimental about stuff at all. I really like bands and my husband enjoys the online hunt with me for classic and unique bands in my size (diamond or CS and diamond or patterned metal) so that I can switch it up. DH lost his ring early on and has two replacements (one simple and one engraved) so no sentimental attachment there either. We always wear a wedding band, just not always the same one.

I think it’s awesome when people wear their original ring but that’s not me.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I threw mine into the sea a few months after he walked out on me. :lol-2: It wasn't expensive - a plain thin platinum band costing about $300 at the time of purchase. (I kept my diamond engagement ring, though, which was much more expensive.)

It's been years now and I've never regretted throwing that wedding ring away. It symbolized the end of the marriage as I had known it. To me, even if we'd ended up getting back together (which we didn't), it would have been a new and different marriage, one in which I knew he could leave me. After he broke his wedding vow to stay with me forever, the ring became nothing more than a piece of metal. Everything it had symbolized was gone, and I still believe that casting it away was the healthiest thing to do, for me. After I did it, I went and had one of my favorite meals to celebrate.

It was heavy and it made a seriously satisfying plop.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is a plain, heavy, handmade 3mm comfort fit platinum band & it has never ever left my finger since the day my husband put it there, not even for 3 surgeries

Awwwww, that's so nice!! Made me really smile. :love:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were poor 31 years ago so my original set was inexpensive but I loved it. The diamonds are not great but we didn't know anything. They sparkle. The setting was not conducive to my job and I lost several marquise out of it before I quit wearing it. Then I had the shank cut off and turned it into a pendant. Still worried about losing the marquise stones. Finally after finding PS I had all the stones gypsy set into a band and I wear it all the time when not wearing my 25th anniversary stone.

The bottom portion was my original wedding set and the top is my 5th anniversary pendant from DH. I guess I'm sentimental.

old_pendant_and_wedding_set.jpg

Now they are in this ring. I designed the layout to use all the stones and we added another marquise. The extra tiny round is set on inside of the band. It's thick and so comfortable in 14k rose gold. Center is .33ct.

klasseast_009.jpg

The 5th anniversary diamond was reset into this rose gold pendant with pink diamonds.

_17355.jpg

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
We were poor 31 years ago so my original set was inexpensive but I loved it. The diamonds are not great but we didn't know anything. They sparkle. The setting was not conducive to my job and I lost several marquise out of it before I quit wearing it. Then I had the shank cut off and turned it into a pendant. Still worried about losing the marquise stones. Finally after finding PS I had all the stones gypsy set into a band and I wear it all the time when not wearing my 25th anniversary stone.

The bottom portion was my original wedding set and the top is my 5th anniversary pendant from DH. I guess I'm sentimental.

old_pendant_and_wedding_set.jpg

Now they are in this ring. I designed the layout to use all the stones and we added another marquise. The extra tiny round is set on inside of the band. It's thick and so comfortable in 14k rose gold. Center is .33ct.

klasseast_009.jpg

The 5th anniversary diamond was reset into this rose gold pendant with pink diamonds.

_17355.jpg

This is such a nice story. You definitely are sentimental.

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
Sentimental, I still wear my original wedding ring with my original E-ring.

I loved the E-ring when I first got it. I still love the custom design (with its 2+ carat, 85 year old, custom cut, heirloom center stone) just as much all these years later. The stone has family history; plus I feel it’s gorgeous. It’s definitely one-of-a-kind. Just like my husband.

I’m not quite as much in love with my diamond wedding ring because the single cut stones don’t have the color nor the super flash that I really prefer. Even so, with over a carat in diamonds, it does still have a lot of bling. However, if I had originally selected the ring, I might have selected something different: certainly different stones and a more customized setting. That was then, & this is now.

My E-ring was custom designed by my husband. The wedding band was a last minute, ready-made rush to have something that would go with the E-ring before our wedding day. The wedding ring’s chevron style doesn’t allow me to wear it without the engagement ring. But that is the wedding ring that I got married with… I’m not changing it.

Because it’s hard to easily get the two rings together on & off, I now wear the wedding band only about 40% of the time with my E-ring. The rest of the time I wear my E-ring alone as a wedding ring. The first ten years that we were married, I constantly 24/7 wore both together.

Being sentimental himself, my husband would prefer I wear my wedding band full time with my E-ring. He still wears his original wedding band. In fact, he never took his ring off until the day that the jeweler finally had to cut it off of him to resize it.

We both have anniversary bands in addition to our wedding bands. He never wears his on his left hand. I sometimes do mine. I also have more than one anniversary band. I will wear my anniversary bands as either a right or left hand ring; depending on what I’m doing.

Most of the time, the ring on my left hand will be my original E-ring because #1) I STILL absolutely love everything about that ring (I got my dream ring the first time around) #2 It’s soooo comfortable #3) It symbolizes a lot of memories & our life together because it’s been on my hand during all those times.

I feel #3 about my wedding band. That was the ring my husband slipped on my finger when I said, “I do”. My wedding ring actually is pretty when worn with the E-ring. My husband has said that I could get a custom wedding band made to wear with my E-ring if I wanted, but at this point, I really don’t. I’d rather put that money toward something different.

Frankly, I’ve never had a desire to remake any of my custom rings. A lot of thought went into their creation. Besides my wedding ring, I wouldn’t want to remake anything that my husband has ever given me. That either makes me super sentimental, or else he just has amazing taste in what he gives me. Maybe both.

P

Petalouda

I still do and have been wearing it the last couple of days. I switch between my Canera, wearing a gold band, and wearing my original ring. It is special to me because of the effort my husband put in picking it out and also because at the time the cost was high and he went above budget to get me what he ( and I ) thought was a spectacular ring. E0D61400-CA18-4EBF-A162-B9578CE26DAC.jpeg A0662702-1B0A-4573-9292-7579FE02BA20.jpeg

rainbowstarry

Rough_Rock
Still wear my ering but not my original wedding band - it is too small and I need to get it resized. It is also a plain platinum band so I wear other bands that are just as meaningful and more decorative and/or have more bling

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear my original wedding band about 50% of the time, but I wear it on my right hand. I didn't wear it for many years because it didn't fit. After my first child my fingers grew larger. It is quite a thick wide band. My husband and I have matching bands so it is quite important to me.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I still do and have been wearing it the last couple of days. I switch between my Canera, wearing a gold band, and wearing my original ring. It is special to me because of the effort my husband put in picking it out and also because at the time the cost was high and he went above budget to get me what he ( and I ) thought was a spectacular ring. E0D61400-CA18-4EBF-A162-B9578CE26DAC.jpeg A0662702-1B0A-4573-9292-7579FE02BA20.jpeg

Your ring is just beautiful @Petalouda ! Such perfection!

I have a memory that you were going to see your Canera, did you end up keeping it? It stuck in my mind as I was looking for a 10th wedding anniversary gift at the same time. I hope you don't mind my asking.

P

Petalouda

Your ring is just beautiful @Petalouda ! Such perfection!

I have a memory that you were going to see your Canera, did you end up keeping it? It stuck in my mind as I was looking for a 10th wedding anniversary gift at the same time. I hope you don't mind my asking.

I don’t mind! I took it off loupetroupe because 1.) I had two people inquire and 2.) one of those people got aggressive with me accepting his low ball offer ( that he insisted was fair based on his research). I said no and then they continued to reach out asking what I’ll do with the ring if I don’t get the price I want etc. it kind of creeped me out!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t mind! I took it off loupetroupe because 1.) I had two people inquire and 2.) one of those people got aggressive with me accepting his low ball offer ( that he insisted was fair based on his research). I said no and then they continued to reach out asking what I’ll do with the ring if I don’t get the price I want etc. it kind of creeped me out!

Oh dear, that sounds unpleasant! LT is a bit of a wild west, I had a similar experience with an entitled guy when I sold my sapphire, though luckily it went to a lovely PSer in the end. I'm not surprised you kept it - both your rings are absolutely gorgeous.

Edit: apologies for threadjack!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results