shape
carat
color
clarity

How many of you wear your original wedding ring?

Do you still wear your original wedding ring?

• Yes

Votes: 37 33.3%
  • Yes, but with modifications

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • No

Votes: 56 50.5%
  • I don’t wear a wedding ring

Votes: 7 6.3%

• Total voters

oakleaf

Shiny_Rock
My original wedding band was a 2 mm flat platinum band. It wasn‘t very comfortable and looked bad when worn alone on my giant hand. I got a 3.5 mm European low dome palladium band about 7 years ago and that is now what I wear about 99% of the time. It took my husband 3 tries to get a wedding band he liked.

I am not sentimental at all—I gave my wedding dress away on Craigslist.

P

Petalouda

Oh dear, that sounds unpleasant! LT is a bit of a wild west, I had a similar experience with an entitled guy when I sold my sapphire, though luckily it went to a lovely PSer in the end. I'm not surprised you kept it - both your rings are absolutely gorgeous.

Edit: apologies for threadjack!

Awwww thanks so much Millielou for your kind words!

I’m sorry you had a similar experience and I’m glad your beloved ring went to a PSer!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
We were given my parents' set as we were still in college and my dad was a widower.
It was a lovely gesture, and I love them because they belonged to the people who made me...they were very unique and 'of their time' and not our aesthetic(still feel weirdly guilty admitting it). They also never fully felt ours. My DH wanted to buy me an engagement ring and I refused, so we put it down on our first house instead. I wore my mom's for 10-ish? years.
I then bought a little antique Belcher style spinel ring I found, that I wore for almost 10yrs. I guess you could say I'm most sentimental about our marriage with this one.
It was only last year that I was able to have rings made for me(my avatar)that were entirely of my choosing. I also bought this set and the bands that go with. I may get some other anniversary type right hand ring down the road- but not until after the kids are fully grown. Maybe for my 30th? Dunno.
I bought him his original titanium band(my dad's gold was too heavy, wide and 70's) and he's worn it our entire marriage.

Last edited:

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
We were given my parents' set as we were still in college and my dad was a widower.
It was a lovely gesture, and I love them because they belonged to the people who made me...they were very unique and 'of their time' and not our aesthetic(still feel weirdly guilty admitting it). They also never fully felt ours. My DH wanted to buy me a engagement ring and I refused, so we put it down on our first house instead. I wore my mom's for 10-ish? years.
I then bought a little antique Belcher style spinel ring I found, that I wore for almost 10yrs. I guess you could say I'm most sentimental about our marriage with this one.
It was only last year that I was able to have rings made for me(my avatar)that were entirely of my choosing. I also bought this set and the bands that go with. I may get some other anniversary type right hand ring down the road- but not until after the kids are fully grown. Maybe for my 30th? Dunno.
I bought him his original titanium band(my dad's gold was too heavy, wide and 70's) and he's worn it our entire marriage.

You have such a perfect set! Dare I say, worth the wait?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
You have such a perfect set! Dare I say, worth the wait?

Thank you verrah much!
I think so, and done in a way that my cheap little nugget of a heart was fully satisfied :lol:

xjsbellamias13

Shiny_Rock
Only been married for a little over 3 years, but I’m very sentimental and wouldn’t ever part with my wedding band. I do plan on getting an eternity band one day to add, but I feel naked without my wedding band on! I love wearing it alone and I chose the width to look good solo from my engagement ring which I do not wear that often. My husbands band matches so I love that aspect as well :)

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
i have mine and a couple of others i've bought since. i feel sentimental enough to keep it but not to feel like it's the only band i can wear if that makes sense. if there was another set i liked, i'd keep both and rotate them.

Same!!

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
We didn't have money when we married 37 years ago, so we bought inexpensive (and paper thin) two-tone gold matching bands from a local mall jewelry store. About 15 years in, my husband's band snapped on the bottom. Our styles had changed some by that time, so we bought matching heavy weight 8mm 14k yellow gold comfort fit bands that we still wear. I still have the original bands and would love to do something with them for sentimental reasons. I don't know if this is do-able, but maybe melt them down and formed into a 3D heart charm/pendant?

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Lately I have been wearing my original wedding band on my right hand ring finger. I love it there.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I threw mine into the sea a few months after he walked out on me. :lol-2: It wasn't expensive - a plain thin platinum band costing about $300 at the time of purchase. (I kept my diamond engagement ring, though, which was much more expensive.)

It's been years now and I've never regretted throwing that wedding ring away. It symbolized the end of the marriage as I had known it. To me, even if we'd ended up getting back together (which we didn't), it would have been a new and different marriage, one in which I knew he could leave me. After he broke his wedding vow to stay with me forever, the ring became nothing more than a piece of metal. Everything it had symbolized was gone, and I still believe that casting it away was the healthiest thing to do, for me. After I did it, I went and had one of my favorite meals to celebrate.

It was heavy and it made a seriously satisfying plop.

Honestly - I love that you did that. Heck yes.

I like to think that a little fishy has dragged it into its home because it's shiny and it has a whole new life :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Also I am sorry to everyone about delayed replies! I am not getting a single notification for this thread!!!! :oops:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It was a lovely gesture, and I love them because they belonged to the people who made me...they were very unique and 'of their time' and not our aesthetic(still feel weirdly guilty admitting it). They also never fully felt ours. My DH wanted to buy me an engagement ring and I refused, so we put it down on our first house instead. I wore my mom's for 10-ish? years.

I get feeling shy about admitting that something inheritied just...isn't you.

People get into a tizzy over that sort of thing. My mom, sister, and I actually just tore apart an antique necklace from my grandfather. It was lovely...but...it sat in a box. Literally for decades. We are keeping it a secret from other family members :???:

I would love to see your belcher ring if you still have it! I love that style soooo much

And I love where you ended up. You set is SO unique, gorgeous and I love everything about it.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
We didn't have money when we married 37 years ago, so we bought inexpensive (and paper thin) two-tone gold matching bands from a local mall jewelry store. About 15 years in, my husband's band snapped on the bottom. Our styles had changed some by that time, so we bought matching heavy weight 8mm 14k yellow gold comfort fit bands that we still wear. I still have the original bands and would love to do something with them for sentimental reasons. I don't know if this is do-able, but maybe melt them down and formed into a 3D heart charm/pendant?

I love that idea! I don't see why a clever jeweler couldn't reuse the metal!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Only been married for a little over 3 years, but I’m very sentimental and wouldn’t ever part with my wedding band. I do plan on getting an eternity band one day to add, but I feel naked without my wedding band on! I love wearing it alone and I chose the width to look good solo from my engagement ring which I do not wear that often. My husbands band matches so I love that aspect as well :)

I love your chunky gold band in your avatar! It is such a classic, luxe look and it looks so yummy with your solitaire.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
My marriage is all of two months old, so yes... I’m still wearing my original wedding ring.
But here’s the thing: my wedding band was chosen specifically to compliment my “e-ring”* and it does that very nicely. I don’t particularly care for it as a stand-alone ring, however. My husband is very sentimental and I’m sure he sees this band as my forever band. I, however, see myself arguing for a different band to wear as a stand-alone band at point in the future.

* My e-ring is a James Meyer 3-stone ring I bought myself as a RHR several years ago, long before I started dating my husband. A few years ago I moved it to my left hand due to sizing issues. Meanwhile, my sweetie and I were starting to talk about engagement rings. We were planning to get an heirloom diamond reset by CvB, when it occurred to me that I’d hate to give up wearing my 3-stone every day or even moving it back to my right hand... so we agreed to use my James Meyer ring as my “engagement” ring. I’ve been promised that I can still have that re-set, but quite honestly it’s just not a high priority for me 0B42A879-131A-4A60-9D3E-A49D21E3471C.jpeg

Oh I admit I love James Meyer designs, I think this is just amazing. I can see why you wanted to wear it as an e-ring

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
We were poor 31 years ago so my original set was inexpensive but I loved it. The diamonds are not great but we didn't know anything. They sparkle. The setting was not conducive to my job and I lost several marquise out of it before I quit wearing it. Then I had the shank cut off and turned it into a pendant. Still worried about losing the marquise stones. Finally after finding PS I had all the stones gypsy set into a band and I wear it all the time when not wearing my 25th anniversary stone.

The bottom portion was my original wedding set and the top is my 5th anniversary pendant from DH. I guess I'm sentimental.

old_pendant_and_wedding_set.jpg

Now they are in this ring. I designed the layout to use all the stones and we added another marquise. The extra tiny round is set on inside of the band. It's thick and so comfortable in 14k rose gold. Center is .33ct.

klasseast_009.jpg

The 5th anniversary diamond was reset into this rose gold pendant with pink diamonds.

_17355.jpg

Beautiful, I especially love that chunky rose gold band!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I still do and have been wearing it the last couple of days. I switch between my Canera, wearing a gold band, and wearing my original ring. It is special to me because of the effort my husband put in picking it out and also because at the time the cost was high and he went above budget to get me what he ( and I ) thought was a spectacular ring. E0D61400-CA18-4EBF-A162-B9578CE26DAC.jpeg A0662702-1B0A-4573-9292-7579FE02BA20.jpeg

Oh it IS spectacular! Classic and gorgeous. Perfect proportions IMO

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
So in other good news I just got a 'fancy' phone a few days ago and I still can't take a decent picture-red isn't translating that well. It's the perfect glowing pink/red. It's night and low light etcetera, etcetarahhh :lol: I have no talent...and tomorrow's sun wouldn't help.
This little ring which now only fits on my pinky unless it's winter and prongs so thin that the stone is barely being held is priceless. Someday I would like to have it remade and being me, maybe tart it up a bit. I don't know, though- this one is sentimental.
20210630_225142.jpg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, what about you?

Are you sentimental?
Did you spare your partner’s feelings and keep originals?
Or are you a serial upgrader?
Do you not even wear a wedding ring?
Would you like to upgrade but can’t spend the money?

What if you kept the original because you actually liked it?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sold the diamond in my ring to keep the car from being taken while DH was laid off and I was in school. Decided to do a different thing (classic solitaire) and while the diamond buyer at my jeweler was hunting for just the right stone for me, the jeweler showed me a custom piece he did that had been brought back (she wanted bigger...) that I fell in love with. Still meaning to set my original setting with a colored stone when I decide what I want.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wedding ring, plain polished 18ct white gold, doesn’t fit anymore. Stopped fitting after DD was born. I received a lovely diamond eternity band, in a larger size, which I wear instead.
My original engagement ring setting had the 3 diamonds “tension set” against each other and it came to the point that it couldn’t be resized any larger so for over a year I didn’t / couldn’t wear my engagement ring. I realised I needed to do a reset so I did lots of looking and thinking and came up with a new design, which involved more diamonds of course.
I am very happy with my ER now, I have two other eternity bands so I often change them around.
Im much more sentimental about my grandmas and great grandmas jewellery. There wasn’t a lot of it and most recipients of pieces have either “redesigned” the pieces or sold them. I see myself as a custodIan, DD knows which ones are special.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
So in other good news I just got a 'fancy' phone a few days ago and I still can't take a decent picture-red isn't translating that well. It's the perfect glowing pink/red. It's night and low light etcetera, etcetarahhh :lol: I have no talent...and tomorrow's sun wouldn't help.
This little ring which now only fits on my pinky unless it's winter and prongs so thin that the stone is barely being held is priceless. Someday I would like to have it remade and being me, maybe tart it up a bit. I don't know, though- this one is sentimental.
20210630_225142.jpg

Ummm, this is GORGEOUS- I love it!!!! I totally get what you mean with phones and red…anything red turns up way pinker!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly - I love that you did that. Heck yes.

I like to think that a little fishy has dragged it into its home because it's shiny and it has a whole new life :)

:D Yes!

Polished1911

Shiny_Rock
Practical and cathartic. Atta girl.

I threw mine into the sea a few months after he walked out on me. :lol-2: It wasn't expensive - a plain thin platinum band costing about $300 at the time of purchase. (I kept my diamond engagement ring, though, which was much more expensive.)

It's been years now and I've never regretted throwing that wedding ring away. It symbolized the end of the marriage as I had known it. To me, even if we'd ended up getting back together (which we didn't), it would have been a new and different marriage, one in which I knew he could leave me. After he broke his wedding vow to stay with me forever, the ring became nothing more than a piece of metal. Everything it had symbolized was gone, and I still believe that casting it away was the healthiest thing to do, for me. After I did it, I went and had one of my favorite meals to celebrate.

It was heavy and it made a seriously satisfying plop.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
You know, this topic - and seeing your beautiful wedding rings @Alex T and @Cerulean (which are very similar to my original) - has really got me thinking! Apologies if threadjacking...

I posted earlier that I no longer wear my original wedding ring as it's quite chunky and doesn't match the profile of my thinner / lighter / lower anniversary solitaire (plus the height creates more of a gap between the two rings than the skinny replacement band I've been wearing instead). And my new ring is 14K WG (to be replaced one day) and the wedding ring is platinum. I always considered myself extremely unsentimental, but I've found myself missing the original a lot. I don't really know why. Maybe as it's been with me through a lot, I feel a bit sad not to wear it any more.

Horribly enlarged photo attached so you can see what I mean, but... I'm wondering if it would be that bad to wear them together..? Honest thoughts are welcome... Sorry once again if I'm threadjacking.

IMG_20210707_081548681_4.jpg

rosethorn

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I eloped five years ago with the first rings we could find that fit - mine was made of wrapped wire and his was… ceramic?

After that, I picked a rose gold set with a little morganite, and rubies and diamonds in the band. After a while I stopped liking it and it’s taken me a couple of remakes and resets to figure out why. I originally thought it was the morganite I didn’t like, so I switched that to a precision cut sapphire. Then I had the setting remade with better, more sparkly diamonds and rubies, and I still don’t like it. I think it’s the rubies in the rose gold because they just look too dark in most lights!

So now I’m feeling sentimental about that morganite I started with and am waiting on a new setting for her. My husband is sentimental in that he wants our rings to be the same color but says he thinks it’s in his own best interests to not develop any real opinions of his own on my set… wise of him, I think!!

I’ve got a lot of different bands now and wear whichever catches my fancy as my wedding band.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Are you sentimental?
Did you spare your partner’s feelings and keep originals?
Or are you a serial upgrader?
Do you not even wear a wedding ring?
Would you like to upgrade but can’t spend the money?

I'm very sentimental, which is why I would never modify or upgrade my ER unless something happened to it that required so. If I wanted another ER, it would be an alternate ring and I would be comfortable upgrading that since there's no sentiment attached to it. I don't value "things" unless there's sentiment attached to it, if that makes sense. I have a little bit of DSS, but to buy an alternate ring (vs. upgrading) is not worth it to me. I do think the size of my ER is probably the right size though, as I wanted something understated with presence.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, this topic - and seeing your beautiful wedding rings @Alex T and @Cerulean (which are very similar to my original) - has really got me thinking! Apologies if threadjacking...

I posted earlier that I no longer wear my original wedding ring as it's quite chunky and doesn't match the profile of my thinner / lighter / lower anniversary solitaire (plus the height creates more of a gap between the two rings than the skinny replacement band I've been wearing instead). And my new ring is 14K WG (to be replaced one day) and the wedding ring is platinum. I always considered myself extremely unsentimental, but I've found myself missing the original a lot. I don't really know why. Maybe as it's been with me through a lot, I feel a bit sad not to wear it any more.

Horribly enlarged photo attached so you can see what I mean, but... I'm wondering if it would be that bad to wear them together..? Honest thoughts are welcome... Sorry once again if I'm threadjacking.

I love this look :kiss2: And as you know, I am horribly sentimental. If I were you, which I'm not so each to their own, I would wear your original band with your stunning emerald cut as they are for now. And then one day when you have the diamond reset, make the new setting match your wedding ring a bit more? That's what I did. My pear cut was reset after the original ring with diamond set shoulders was damaged by the jeweller when re-securing the stone, in a custom hand forged setting to match the dimensions of my wedding ring exactly, which is the most precious of all my things. My pear setting is 2.5mm rather than the 3mm of my wedding ring, but everything else is the same.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

You’re not threadjacking at all! I feel exactly the same way. I wish my ring was a *tiny* bit thinner. I like a slightly chunky look, but if it was a little thinner it would be more versatile

You could keep the same band and have a jeweler slim it down a bit if you don’t mind changing the ring itself…

I thought about that, but don’t want to modify it. I’d rather keep it intact and wear it less often, but who knows…

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results