shape
carat
color
clarity

How many of you wear your original wedding ring?

Do you still wear your original wedding ring?

• Yes

Votes: 37 33.3%
  • Yes, but with modifications

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • No

Votes: 56 50.5%
  • I don’t wear a wedding ring

Votes: 7 6.3%

• Total voters

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I was curious, how many of you wear your original wedding ring (or set)?

I feel little sentimental attachment to objects, but my husband does. I’ve already gotten my dream OEC and scrapped my original e-ring setting, but feel in limbo on settings for my OEC and feel dissatisfied with my plain ‘ole band.

It’s the symbol that matters to me, not the object. But not everyone feels that way!

I’d love to get an all new wedding stack from a single designer one day (it bothers me that my set isn’t from the same place)…although he’d be bummed! *Sigh*

So, what about you?

Are you sentimental?
Did you spare your partner’s feelings and keep originals?
Or are you a serial upgrader?
Do you not even wear a wedding ring?
Would you like to upgrade but can’t spend the money?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have mine and a couple of others i've bought since. i feel sentimental enough to keep it but not to feel like it's the only band i can wear if that makes sense. if there was another set i liked, i'd keep both and rotate them.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I still have my original wedding ring but don't wear it these days. It's thick and chunky platinum and doesn't "go" with my new e-ring / anniversary ring. I've moved to prefer more lightweight and delicate pieces.

Like you, I am not sentimental about objects. Whatever ring is on my wedding finger is just a symbol of my happy marriage, and something pretty to look at :)

DH doesn't mind at all. He is more sentimental and likes wearing his wedding ring, but doesn't extend that to having a view on what I wear. Suits us both!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heck no. I do still own them but in 33 (!!) years my tastes have changed many times over! Husband doesn’t wear a ring at all.

Funny, because I am sentimental about my dear mom’s jewelry, but not mine? C03B4586-1828-4418-AA16-B2CEF0068CC1.gif

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am super sentimental. However, after my original diamond was switched by a jewelry, I no longer felt any attachment. All my wedding/engagement rings are from my husband or family heirlooms. That makes them all special to me.

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
My original wedding band was plain yellow gold and I didn’t take it off for 20 years. I kept the original set but got an upgrade for 20th anniversary. I still wear the yg band around the house, working out or gardening and the upgraded set for going out. I always wear something on that finger though I have several to choose from.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not wear mine, I do still have the wedding band...but right now its too big and its too wide and isnt comfortable to wear anymore...it was the 80's wide bands were in style...the tiny engagement band with tiny rubies and diamonds I dismantled and made other things out of..normally most days I would wear my thin gold band around the house but I have quit wearing all rings about 6-8 months ago at first because of covid and all the hand sanitizing and washing and now well I dont want to bore anyone with the woe is me story.....I will not get rid of my original band I do feel a sentimental attachment to it and maybe one day someone will want to wear it.

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
I do wear my original band and 5 stone first year anniversary band. I had my ER reset when the old setting head broke and decided to get a new halo setting that I love. I wear it with my original bands.
While I have many other bands, I wear them on the right.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I wear my original wedding band about 50% of the time. It is a 2 mm comfort fit platinum band, so it acts as a spacer and also when I need added mm at the base of my fingers because my rings are sized kind of loose to fit over my knuckles.

Edited to add: You can see my original wedding band in my avatar pic!

Last edited:

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I voted yes, with modifications.

My husband and I have been married for over 46 years. For our 40th anniversary, we had our wedding rings redone. They were plain yellow gold bands with Florentine finish.

Husband: his ring was off round. We had that corrected and had rose gold edges added to it.
Mine: had rose gold edges added to my wedding ring as well. My engagement ring, with solitaire diamond was cracked and thin in several places. We had the diamond removed and added as a bezel set to my wedding ring.

My husband and I both wear our rings all the time, except when doing physical work. We have never used other rings as wedding rings, except these original ones.
We are both rather sentimental.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't, it's too small. And I just can't bring myself to change it, if it even can be sized. Married nearly 32 years, It's a brushed gold band. I replaced it with a polished gold band, as well as a few anniversary bands. If my knuckles keep growing, I may be able to wear the original as a pinky ring as some point.

My husband still wears his original, which matched mine. However, his is no longer a brushed gold. It's polished gold now! He wears his 24/7. I've almost always taken all rings off at night.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
@KaeKae We also have matched bands. The finish on my husband’s ring wore off with time, so he had a polished gold finish too.

But at our 40th when we had the rings redone, we had his Florentine finish redone.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mum wore her wedding ring from the moment Dad put it on her finger
She was burried still wearing it
Dad didnt get a ring back in 1965 but when they had their 25th he got one

if i wore married i would be like mum and keep it forever on my wedding ring finger

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
For our 25th, we both got new bands. My original e-ring and wedding band were soldered together. I had them separated and wear the band on my right hand occasionally. I had the diamond put in a 3 prong pendant and wear it most every day. My daughter loves my solitaire setting so I saved it. She may like to use it someday for herself! My husbands original wedding band is in the safe.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear mine. It's pretty wide and doesn't really go with my other rings. That said, I should wear it on days I don't wear an ering. It's nice on its own. Dh doesn't wear one. He had lost weight and it slipped off his finger while he was swimming in the ocean and he never got around to getting another one. I think it's kind of sad but it doesn't seem to bother him...obviously he's not very sentimental lol.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Mine is a plain platinum band. I wear it day and night. I never had an engagement ring, but I have plenty of other jewelry to wear with my wedding ring, including wedding rings from both grandmothers and family engagement rings. My husband would be sad and surprised if I didn't wear my wedding ring, and I would feel naked and unrooted. He wears his all the time too.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I have my original wedding band but the diamonds are so dull and dark :( I really wanted to replace all the diamonds in there but the cost of doing that didn't make financial sense, also my fingers have gotten fatter over the years so I can't fit it and it can't be resized. I still kept it though and just wear a plain band these days.
123765147_658613768143558_3194558271890235856_n.jpg

On my right hand now I have a much similar ring to the wedding band but a 6 stone. I don't wear it like this though hahaha.

185280019_549130282743665_4154958238524090239_n.jpg

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have my original wedding band but it doesn’t fit me anymore. I think it’s 3 mm, size 4.75 and two toned in white and yellow gold. It would probably be impossible to resize. My husband’s matching original wedding band doesn’t fit him either.
After 5 kids my ring size went up to a 5.25 but I’m more comfortable wearing 5.5 to 6.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I still wear mine. Love it; wouldn’t change it. This might be blasphemous to admit on PS, but as much as I love watching other people’s e-ring projects and journeys I don’t really “get” it. I just don’t feel an interest or desire to change/upgrade my wedding set. I guess that puts me in the sentimental camp.

I could see myself swapping out the wedding set for a milestone anniversary ring at some point down the line. Arthritis runs in my family and my wedding ring can’t be resized, so there will probably come a point that it doesn’t fit or isn’t comfortable anymore. I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, not sentimental at all. My original wedding ring was a wide gold band with a bark finish, that rubbed my fingers raw after 3 days. I took it off, and never wore it again. TBH, I’m not even sure where it is. DH wore his matching band for quite a long time, but he really doesn’t like jewellery on men, and hasn’t worn it for many years. Again, not even sure where it is.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I only wore the original rings for less than a year or so IIRC. I went through a few iterations before I realized I was an old cut girl at heart. Here are my "original" rings. Not the first ER but the first WB with my second ER. All I changed from the first ER to second ER was the setting. Same MRB diamond. When we became engaged I didn't have a camera phone so no photos of the original ER.

I am not sentimental about "things" but more about people and relationships. So I had no problem changing my rings multiple times till I got it "right" for me. I made this ER setting into another WB so now while I don't have the original ER diamond (MRB) I do have both shared prong settings made into WBs. One is the true original WB we got married with and the other band was made from my ER setting.
Are you sentimental?
Did you spare your partner’s feelings and keep originals?
Or are you a serial upgrader?
Do you not even wear a wedding ring?
Would you like to upgrade but can’t spend the money?

1. Not sentimental about things.

2. Did not spare my DH's feelings. When we first got engaged and I had a day to process it (I wasn't mentally prepared to get engaged but that is a long story for another day maybe) and I had never given any thought to an engagement ring. So after Greg proposed I realized the ring wasn't me. It was beautiful but not something I could visualize wearing forever. So I think I waited a few days LOL and told him and he was at first surprised but he came to terms with it and realized the actual ring wasn't important but making me happy was. So thankfully he was easy going about it and we changed the setting before we got married. But then I realized still not right. LOL. It was a journey before I ended up with Bubbalah and I did go though a few diamonds before I got to my dream diamond. Still not at my dream setting but I am not in a huge rush. I am sort of hoping it will fall into my lap so to speak. :)

3. Not a serial upgrader. I am very content and satiated with my OEC ER diamond.

4. Most times I don't even wear a wedding band anymore. Just Bubbalah.

5. I could "upgrade" if I wanted. I am completely satiated with my diamond. See #3. :)

Here is my current situation.

bubbalahbandsinjewelrybox.png

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Wow I love all of these stories - I got no notifications for this thread for some reason!

What a range of experiences! That’s what makes this community so dynamic. Thank you everyone for sharing.

@missy we sound very similar in this respect - I am super sentimental about relationships, and what objects symbolize…I’ve also gone through a few iterations of rings at this point, and haven’t really found the “finale” - from nickel allergies, to finding myself very unhappy with my original diamond and being finicky about how comfortable settings were (or werent) it’s been a ride! I also love LOVE my diamond but she needs a final home.

Husband is also keen on just making me happy and initially conversations about changing things up were met with shock and some hurt (it never even occurred to him that people would do that!)

He warmed up to the idea of changing the e-ring over time, but wedding ring took longer to accept for some reason. I love aesthetic cohesion and hope when I finally settle on a setting, that I will get a stack to match. Having a wedding band from a different designer that doesn’t quite match…bugs me for some reason?! Obviously not the sentimental part of changing them! I would however keep the original band.

This time around, I will be slow about it. I’ve learned that when rushed I end up with something I’m not happy with!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Nope, not sentimental at all. My original wedding ring was a wide gold band with a bark finish, that rubbed my fingers raw after 3 days. I took it off, and never wore it again. TBH, I’m not even sure where it is. DH wore his matching band for quite a long time, but he really doesn’t like jewellery on men, and hasn’t worn it for many years. Again, not even sure where it is.

Bark finish even sounds painful!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I still wear mine. Love it; wouldn’t change it. This might be blasphemous to admit on PS, but as much as I love watching other people’s e-ring projects and journeys I don’t really “get” it. I just don’t feel an interest or desire to change/upgrade my wedding set. I guess that puts me in the sentimental camp.

I could see myself swapping out the wedding set for a milestone anniversary ring at some point down the line. Arthritis runs in my family and my wedding ring can’t be resized, so there will probably come a point that it doesn’t fit or isn’t comfortable anymore. I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I totally appreciate this - in all honesty, I wish I felt this way.

I think for me it’s not really about upgrading (I have a small diamond by PS standards…) I’m just definitely a perfectionist. I studied art and achieving a certain aesthetic matters tremendously , as it’s a part of who I am.

For example, I’ve worked on some the same paintings for years. You’d think I’d be sentimental about them given the amount of effort, but I only have kept a small number that I actually like. Anything that I don’t see as good enough, I toss or give away. I see them as a lesson, not as something to covet just because I spent so much time with them. I value that they existed, but that’s it.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I have my original wedding band but the diamonds are so dull and dark :( I really wanted to replace all the diamonds in there but the cost of doing that didn't make financial sense, also my fingers have gotten fatter over the years so I can't fit it and it can't be resized. I still kept it though and just wear a plain band these days.
123765147_658613768143558_3194558271890235856_n.jpg

On my right hand now I have a much similar ring to the wedding band but a 6 stone. I don't wear it like this though hahaha.

185280019_549130282743665_4154958238524090239_n.jpg

I love that you picked up the same style for your RHR! It’s gorgeous. I totally get contemplating swapping the diamonds - but at the end of the day, the ends have to justify the means!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Mine is a plain platinum band. I wear it day and night. I never had an engagement ring, but I have plenty of other jewelry to wear with my wedding ring, including wedding rings from both grandmothers and family engagement rings. My husband would be sad and surprised if I didn't wear my wedding ring, and I would feel naked and unrooted. He wears his all the time too.

Wonderful that you both feel the same way! I also feel naked without anything on my ring finger!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results