shape
carat
color
clarity

How long to wait?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Let''s say someone has been considering a stone for 10 days and they haven''t purchased it and don''t have it on hold. Would you think it bad to buy it at that point if they haven''t purchased it? I don''t want to be rude and just snap it up, but really feel it has been a decent amount of time. Am I wrong?

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I say it is fair game by now, especially if it isn''t on hold.

Lori

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I say fair game as well.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fair game. If it''s not on hold, I say it''s fair game, pretty much after any time. Especially after 5 days. But I''m ruthless, soooooo take that for what it''s worth.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
It was polite of you to wait, and I think 10 days is a fair amount of time.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I agree that enough time has passed! Did someone say they were serious about the stone? Or was it more in passing? If they really wanted it, it would be on hold at least.

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
I gave someone 3 days once. I must be even more ruthless!! The early bird gets the best gems!! Plus, anyone could snatch it up....go get your stone!!!
31.gif

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
I'd probably give three days as well. After that, it's fair game. Particularly if it's a vendor that's happy to put stones on hold - if it's a stone that you really really like, the only sensible thing to do is put it on hold before you post here.

Maybe you should mention the stone you're thinking of, so whoever has got eyes on it will either jump on it, or pass.

Edit: ah, good. It's not mine you're referring to there. I was starting to feel slightly paranoid that I'd stopped someone from getting the stone that they loved, by my indecision. As for what you *are* referring to, RH may well have some more rough that he could cut for you in the same design - might be worth asking about.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Maybe whoever posted the said gem forgot about it already.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Oh is it the pink gem from RH? Maybe you can ask RH to hold it for you first, and if you really feel you need to make sure the person doesn''t want the stone, bump up his thread and ask him. The downside is the person might decide to get it.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 7:54:58 AM
Author: Lovinggems
if you really feel you need to make sure the person doesn''t want the stone, bump up his thread and ask him. The downside is the person might decide to get it.
Did this.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 8:40:22 AM
Author: cinnamon013

Date: 6/4/2009 7:54:58 AM
if you really feel you need to make sure the person doesn''t want the stone, bump up his thread and ask him. The downside is the person might decide to get it.
Did this.
Just checked and yes you did.
12.gif
I don''t think he''s been on Pricescope since your last post though.

You better act quickly C, I was eyeing this stone last month and you just reminded me again. Just kidding!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you''ve given them more than ample time to make a decision. If you want it go ahead.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 9:06:31 AM
You better act quickly C, I was eyeing this stone last month and you just reminded me again. Just kidding!
You made me laugh!
2.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I''d go for it Cinnamon. I think you''ve waited long enough, much longer than I would have for a stone I wanted. If that stone is up for grabs for anyone on the net then why not let it be yours?
31.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 1:52:06 AM
Author:cinnamon013
Let''s say someone has been considering a stone for 10 days and they haven''t purchased it and don''t have it on hold. Would you think it bad to buy it at that point if they haven''t purchased it? I don''t want to be rude and just snap it up, but really feel it has been a decent amount of time. Am I wrong?
No, not at all. If you really want the stone, I''d say a day or so is ample time, especially if the seller will put items on hold. Colored stones are so unique, I really wouldn''t wait if the stone catches your fancy. The quickest draw with the credit card wins! Witness the periodic drops at various popular colored gemstone sites. I don''t see people politely waiting there!
9.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 7:41:12 AM
Author: Magenta
Edit: ah, good. It''s not mine you''re referring to there. I was starting to feel slightly paranoid that I''d stopped someone from getting the stone that they loved, by my indecision. As for what you *are* referring to, RH may well have some more rough that he could cut for you in the same design - might be worth asking about.
oh Magenta, it''s not you dear.
41.gif

politely

Rough_Rock
Seems to me that if you''re posting on a public forum, you do so with the specific intent of calling attention to the item. I don''t think the OP can realistically expect others not to take action. I see this happen all the time in almost every forum I visit, typically about an ebay listing with a title like "Is this a good deal?" - and if it is, it very quickly becomes "not such a good deal". On the other hand, I think if you''ve given advice on the subject to the OP, I can see how you may have a stronger sense of responsibility not to act against the OP - although I think fair notice is sufficient.

Interestingly enough, I''ve been on the other side of this a few times as well. I find something nice at a good price and then someone, usually someone who doesn''t actually want it, posts about how nice it is, how cheap it is and how they''d buy it in an instant if their circumstances were a little different... and then bam, suddenly the item gets sold or becomes not so cheap anymore.

On the other, other side, it''s nice for the seller - and sometimes, the whole thing turns out to have been a sneaky advertising campaign.

That''s life on the internet.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock

I appreciate everyone''s input. The first time the poster mentioned the stone was on 5/25, and then on 5/27 indicated he was 100% the stone was the way to go, but in the next sentence, he says he was going to see what else comes up. On 6/3, the poster again said they hadn''t decided. It''s like a puppy at the pound. Someone needs to take it home and love it. After all, the guy is not my brother buying for his wife so I''ve been patient enough. It was suggested to him to put it on hold or buy the stones and send back what he didn''t want, etc. The Barry stone he was considering sold on 5/28 during his query time. Truly, there are tons of stones I''d love to have that others get before me. Partly because I don''t have unlimited funds and can''t act quickly. Partly because I can''t/didn''t make a decision quick enough. Etc... I guess some lurker or other PS member could have snapped this one up during all the time it was posted on RH''s site and especially on 5/25 when someone highlighted it for PS folks to see - and then neither the poster nor myself would have it.

Again, thanks. I have adopted this little one and promise to love it. I''m sure the poster will find a stone they love as well as they continue their quest for a great stone from a top cutter.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 11:40:32 AM

Again, thanks. I have adopted this little one and promise to love it. I''m sure the poster will find a stone they love as well as they continue their quest for a great stone from a top cutter.

OOooo congrats-can''t wait for pics, I''m sure it will be a lovely stone from RH!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cinnamon,
I thought Ryon was waiting for RH to return from the gemshow and that he has not been available for questions, etc.? It sounds like you have purchased it? In talking to other vendors, having an intent to buy is not the same as plunking down the cash for it. First come, first served. While I feel badly for Ryon, it does seem as if he has been taking forever to come to a decision. I cannot believe how reasonably priced the pink tourmaline is and that no one else is jumping all over it.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 11:48:34 AM
Author: stepcutnut

OOooo congrats-can''t wait for pics, I''m sure it will be a lovely stone from RH!!!
Thanks stepcutnut! I am excited as well! When I first started hanging out in colored stones almost two years ago, the first stones I considered were RH stones and wound up never getting one. He had some clearance stones back then too, but I was just too new to jump in and buy anything. I''ve found I really love all my round brilliants from Barry and my star 80 cut from Gene, and realized that I''d like to try out a concave as well. This little guy is heated but I decided it doesn''t bother me a bit. Hey, I look a little better with a tan too!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 11:55:41 AM
Author: Chrono
Cinnamon,
I thought Ryon was waiting for RH to return from the gemshow and that he has not been available for questions, etc.? It sounds like you have purchased it? In talking to other vendors, having an intent to buy is not the same as plunking down the cash for it. First come, first served. While I feel badly for Ryon, it does seem as if he has been taking forever to come to a decision. I cannot believe how reasonably priced the pink tourmaline is and that no one else is jumping all over it.
I just checked my email records and Richard answered me four times in a three day period. I can say that Richard is as good a communicator as Barry. My first email to him was a one liner simply asking if it was still available. He answered yes and provided me with information on the stone as well as the information on how to pay for it all in his reply about availability.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you have been more than fair to Ryon. So….when’s it arrving?
31.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 12:06:11 PM
Author: Chrono
It sounds like you have been more than fair to Ryon. So….when’s it arrving?
31.gif
9.gif
Well, Richard waits for paypal to move the money to his bank account before shipping. He said he will get it UPS 2nd day air sent out to me on Monday after paypal does their thing of giving his bank account the money. Then, picture fest!
36.gif
Middle of next week it seems...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 6:41:00 AM
Author: bookworm240
I gave someone 3 days once. I must be even more ruthless!! The early bird gets the best gems!! Plus, anyone could snatch it up....go get your stone!!!
31.gif
Lol. If I see something I want, and can afford, I''m buying it. Period. If I happen to see that someone was looking at it, I might give it a couple of days. I think ten is more than fair. Any other browser of the internet could have bought it in that time period.

I''m glad you''re getting it cinnamon. It needed to go to a good home.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cinnamon you have been more than fair. In that previous post he was warned more than once to put it on hold if he was serious, and another of the stones he was considering was sold in the meantime, which didn''t seem to faze him. It''s hard to tell if people are still in the investigating, see what''s out there, versus ready to buy stage. Myself if I am really serious about a stone I won''t typically post until AFTER I buy it.
11.gif
There was a blue sapphire I was undecided about (I still think I should have gotten it) and posted it without identifying information to ask a question about it, and it got bought. It''s the nature of the game.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Well all, the poster just gave an update that he really didn''t have any plans to buy it. Not his exact words, but really the message. He must have some other stone in mind that he is working on. NOW, I feel silly for waiting so long. SOMEONE else could have gotten that stone way before me and I woulda missed out.

Yippeee. It''s mine. It''s mine. I can''t wait to get it!!!
31.gif

Ryon

Shiny_Rock

I appreciate everyone''s input. The first time the poster mentioned the stone was on 5/25, and then on 5/27 indicated he was 100% the stone was the way to go, but in the next sentence, he says he was going to see what else comes up. On 6/3, the poster again said they hadn''t decided. It''s like a puppy at the pound. Someone needs to take it home and love it. After all, the guy is not my brother buying for his wife so I''ve been patient enough. It was suggested to him to put it on hold or buy the stones and send back what he didn''t want, etc. The Barry stone he was considering sold on 5/28 during his query time. Truly, there are tons of stones I''d love to have that others get before me. Partly because I don''t have unlimited funds and can''t act quickly. Partly because I can''t/didn''t make a decision quick enough. Etc... I guess some lurker or other PS member could have snapped this one up during all the time it was posted on RH''s site and especially on 5/25 when someone highlighted it for PS folks to see - and then neither the poster nor myself would have it.

RH told me he was at a gem show and wouldn''t be back until Tuesday.
I emailed him right before and never got a response, then just emailed today and did get a response that the stone was already sold..
It is my fault for not jumping on the stone and I have no hard feelings. I was 100% sure, but the more time I got (while he was gone) the more time it gave me to look at other options (The barry stone), which got sold as well. Although I didn''t really want the Barry stone at that point.

I am looking at some killer aquas now though (she loves them as well), but I did really want that stone.
I also don''t want to tell where I see this aquas haha, there mine, sorry guys!!

Can''t wait to see pictures and see how it actually turns out, I am sure you will be satisfied, congrats!

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
Also don''t feel bad for me, I have been posting that thing for a month basically just asking for someone else to buy it and thank you for giving me plenty of time to make the decision. I could have got it a long time ago so it is no big deal. =)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results