shape
carat
color
clarity

How long for makeup and hair?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya's recent question about shower time got me thinking.
How long do you take to do makeup and hair?
Not all fancy, like for a special occasion, just for everyday.
My makeup is about 10 minutes, and hair is about 10 minutes. I have an angled bob, so it's easy.
So all together, I can do it in roughly 20 minutes.
Since I have gotten older(aaarrgh-I am almost 51) I have pared down makeup application significantly.
Moisturizer, foundation, under eye cover, minimal powder, eye liner, mascara, lipstick. That's it.
I stopped wearing blush 25 years ago. I stopped eye shadow 3 years ago. I think that frosty or shimmery eye shadow looks greasy, especially after a few hours. Matte eye shadow creases on me.

I think heavy makeup is a bad look for someone my age.
In the 80's we caked it on, as I recall!! Old photos are scary---haha!
How long do you take?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just talking about something like this with 2 PS'ers today (great meeting up with you btw, you know who are you ;)) ). I've been spending a not small amount on make-up and skincare recently. I think, for me, since I've gotten...ahem...older...I spend more time and money on skincare and makeup and my hair is rather high maintenance too. I don't know how older women manage on less makeup. For me it's the opposite, ha ha!!

Ok, so to answer your Q's:

- My hair: since I go to a really good hairdresser, day-to-day is not complicated, just 5 minutes on the dryer, and then finger-brushing it.

- My makeup: half an hour daily, more if it's a special occasion. I've been watching Lisa Eldridge videos (LOVE her!!) and have learned a lot from her. I wear quite a bit and spend what I consider quite a lot of time putting it on, but it doesn't look heavy, I think it looks more polished, professional. And that's on top of a huge amount of moisturiser (I have very dry skin).

Reactions: AV_

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
For everyday, no time - I have an hour long commute, so I let my hair dry in the car on my way to work. I don't wear make up anymore, as I don't really like how it looks, and I do find it ages me, but I do slap on some BB cream with SPF in it. That probably takes thirty seconds though. Used to just use regular SPF25 cream, but it gave me acne. The BB cream is much lower SPF, but seems to do the job, and doesn't give me the spots.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Under a minute. I just let my hair air dry, no styling. Make-up, none. I use sun screen and very occasionally put on mascara or chap stick. If I'm properly going out and put on make-up it takes me around 15 minutes because I don't get to practice much. I do my eyes and lips and find staying inside the lines difficult.

I spend my getting ready time in the shower :) Once I'm out the whole getting dressed, brushing teeth, out the door thing takes under 10 minutes.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I workout every AM and then take 10 minutes shower and shampoo and shaving legs and underarms.

I get out of shower and have breakfast for about 10 minutes reading PS before I get ready to cool off.

5 minutes hair (I let it air dry for the most part) and 5 minutes makeup and 5 minutes to get dressed so 15 minutes total till I am out the door once I start getting ready.

If we have a social occasion to go to I will spend a few more minutes on my hair and makeup but I wear minimal makeup most of the time anyway.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all your replies, everyone!

I think that makeup and hair products have become so much better than in the "old days"
Remember cake mascara?? And frosty cream eye shadow in a tube? Think Angie Dickinson! And rouge pots? Coty loose face powder in that round canister. This is what we had to work with.
The only hair gel was Dippity Do. The only hair spray was Aqua Net. And the hairdryer came with a hood. No blow dryers, till the 70's. And even then, they were huge and heavy.

The old Revlon lipstick in the gold metal tube that used to stain your lips. Now they make "lip stain"---everything old is new again.
Even nail polish has evolved. You could only get pinks and reds. I laugh at the colors in the store now......yellow, green, black, blue!!!! Unheard of years ago! And they dry so quickly now.
So naturally, getting ready took longer. We were under the dryer with rollers in our hair!
We have it good these days.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zero.

There's no hope for my appearance. ;(

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, come now Kenny.
Not even a little moisturizer?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For day to day, I do not wear make-up due to my line of work in controlled environment.

Hair takes 5min to blow dry, no styling required; plus a couple of minutes to curl my eyelashes; and I am done.

For special occasion, the full paint job, including foundation and powder, would be at least an hour.

Nails would take some time, unless I opt for a quick one coat job.

DK :))

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Makeup takes me 10 min. My hair takes about 15 min if I need to blow dry and flat iron it. Sometimes I just blow dry it and go, but it doesn't look that great when I do that, so usually I try to smooth it unless I'm in a super hurry.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I can do a full get-ready in about 20 min - that includes shower (and shaving), makeup (eye shadow, eye liner, mascara, powder, blush), and blow dry/quick style hair. If I'm going out, I like to allow myself an hour to get ready.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000|1432487460|3880720 said:
Oh, come now Kenny.
Not even a little moisturizer?

I use moisturizer maybe once a month ... like if I do gardening/pulling weeds but forget to wear gloves.
I don't care when my skin looks dry, but when it cracks and bleeds it's time for some diamond-clarity-grade-lowering gunk. :knockout:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hair is in a "growing out" stage. I'm looking to grow it out into an Anna Wintour inspired short blunt bob.

So....for the next 7 months is going to be quite the mess. I have to curl it with a half an inch curling iron.... This takes entirely too long. Maybe 20 minutes? Maybe more....

I usually just rub some bb cream on my face,a little blush,eye liner and mascara, my eyebrows if I feel like it, lips the same. That all takes maybe 7 minutes.

While growing my hair our, once it his a certain point doing my hair will be much easier as I won't do much of anything at all.

Once my hair is the length I want it'll take less than 10 to do,as I naturally have very strait hair. That'll be nice. Growing hair our sucks so badly. Its like, walk around and look like sh!t for months or make one easy call to the salon and look amazing again. Lol. I'm not one for willpower, so this will be terrible

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
15 minutes. I only dry the front of my hair, the back is curly so I let it air dry. Make up is simple face powder, blush and mascara. It's quick. Total 10-15 minutes and that's getting dressed too.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm impressed with how quickly everyone does hair and makeup.
I remember Mom making Dad wait for hours while she got ready to go out.
As a kid, I could never understand what was taking her so long.
Maybe that's why I try not to make DH wait very long.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't usually wear makeup, but if I do, it's less than 5 minutes. Hair is getting annoying. I have quite long hair and although it seems to take absolutely forever to blow dry (air drying leaves it frizzy), it is done in under 10 minutes including a quick swipe or two with a flat iron. I'm 53 and trying to go as natural as possible these days. Less is more for me. ;))

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I used to wear a lot of makeup in my 20's and have considerably toned it down the older I get. These days it's generally just a dot or 2 of BB cream under my eyes, some powder (I have very oily skin especially in the T-zone), some lip balm, a light dusting of cream colored matte eyeshadow (sometimes a little green on the lids) and some mascara. I have very sparse eyebrows thanks to a lot of plucking in my 20s and 30s, so I spend a fair amount of time with pencil and powder getting those just right. Takes me about 10 minutes. I've recently been using witch hazel as an astringent, so I have to wait for that to dry first.

For my hair, again about 10 minutes. I dry with a blow dryer (on low) all over and finish with the blow dryer and round brush.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Day to day, I rarely wear make up or do much really with my hair, not out of laziness. I work from home most days, and it's all conference calls and emails. Also, after years of blowing/brushing/flat ironing it out every day for the office, I try to give my hair a rest, and it's made a huge difference (for the better). I use a cleansing conditioner in the shower, then just add a smidge of argon oil to the ends, comb it out and let it air dry. I apply moisturizer, but unless I am having a video conference, I leave it at that for "make up". Going out somewhere warranting a little "gussying up", or if I am working on site, probably 40 mins total for hair and makeup, mostly on hair since it's long.

Another reason I go easy on the make up is because I have been having terrible dry eyes lately, and apply drops throughout the day. If I wear make up, I would be touching it up constantly. And I worried that it might be contributing to the problem.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Ten minutes for hair and ten for makeup. It's the long hot showers that are a time hog :lol:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I'm at home or running errands, I wear no makeup and don't do my hair, so zero.

Right now I have a pixie cut so if I style my hair it takes about 5 minutes (some blow drying and roughing up with pomade and hairspray). When I had long hair it could take up to thirty minutes depending on what I was doing, but usually I just let it air-dry while I put on my makeup then blow-dried it at the end and that took about 10 minutes.

With makeup, if I want to look normal-nice, about 20 minutes. If I'm getting FANCY then 40 minutes to an hour.

So with my shower, my usual "getting ready" routine is about an hour, a little more to out the door once you include clothes and gathering up my things and deciding on shoes. Wake up to out the door is around an hour and a half since after I wake up there's around twenty minutes of staring blearily at the world and contemplating going back to sleep.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in awe of you super speedy women shower and shave and hair and make up so quickly.
I use a verity of moisturizers and sunscreens but daily I'm pretty simple w/ the make up, eyeliner and mascara are my two staples for work days but it still takes me a while.

Prob twenty min total hair and makeup.

I don't wash my hair every day so on hair wash days -much- longer.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
During the week, two minutes, lol. I brush my eyebrows to make sure they're not crazy, then I slap on some moisturizer and chapstick. As for hair it's a quick topknot and I'm out the door.

If I'm actually trying anywhere from 10 min to an hour depending on the level of trying required.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can spackle in about 10ish, my hair is contingent on if I use a curling iron or hot rollers. If my hair isn't fully dry by morning, I use the curling iron, so that routine is a max of 20-25. The curling iron takes me almost no time but the curl won't last as long during the day as the hot rollers so I prefer to do those.

I do my hot rollers before my makeup and then do the makeup while they set. So in total probably about 35 including rolling time. I let them heat up while I go to the bathroom, put contacts in, brush teeth and put my lotion on my face. They take a little while to roll in my hair. I am usually done and ready to get dressed (that takes all of 3 minutes shoes included) within 45. I usually try to take my time while rollers are in my hair just so they really have time to set.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear makeup daily, and I throw my hair in a bun most days and forget about it.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A full morning routine for me is exactly an hour - but this includes eating breakfast. In that hour, I do the following:

Shower, sometimes including shaving legs and underarms
Wash and condition hair
Cleanse, tone, serum and moisturize face, plus eye cream
Blow-dry hair and use some styling paste after
Dress
Put in contact lenses (takes a few minutes sometimes as they can be awkward)
Makeup - powder foundation, concealer, blush, eyebrow pencil, neutral eyeshadow, eyeliner.
Brush and floss teeth
Choose jewelry and maybe perfume
Make and eat breakfast - toast and/or cereal, plus coffee

Honestly, I don't think an hour is bad for all that.

However, if I'm staying home all day, I might skimp on the blowdry, the contact lenses, and some of the makeup. Also, I only wash my hair every two or three days.

Some women I see out and about look so very done up, as if they're going to a wedding although it's only an ordinary day, that I wonder how long some of those super-beautiful women take in the bathroom. I'd love to know how long it takes to look like that. I know my routine own looks long, but in fact at my age it's what I need for the natural look to look natural and not ratty!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regular Morning - Hair was washed the night before and dried. I don't really style it, its long enough it does its own thing.
Makeup, I wear powder foundation, mascara & eyeliner. Occasionally I will do a quick brown smokey eye. This takes 5-10m.

Rushed morning - hair washed night before, and no makeup. So, literally nothing.

big meeting/dinner after work - Hair washed night before, I might curl or straighten it (30m). Makeup will be similar to above, just more precise and better applied - 15m. Then I might spend extra time picking out an outfit, so total of less than an hour still.

Special ocsn - Prob hour on hair, 30-40m on makeup. This is rare.

eta - if i wanted to include washing and drying my hair, that would be another 60-90m depending on nicely I blow dry. My hair is long and thick.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Half hour to forty minutes for both on a rushed day. I have to blow dry my long hair each day. On a not so rushed day, more than an hour. Still only forty minutes for getting ready but I need at least twenty more minutes for dancing and singing. :bigsmile: it helps to set the mood for the day..

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It takes me about 5 minutes to apply moisturizer, eye cream and deodorant. Then about 10 minutes for concealer, powder and mascara. I normally just do a little BB cream (mainly for SPF) on weekends if anything. If I dry & style my hair it takes 10 - 15 minutes. I normally let it air dry in the summer time and that just takes a second to comb it and spritz it with a little sea salt spray.

It's been so long since I've done full make-up and hair, I don't even remember.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No makeup. Barely wore any (just lipstick) for my own wedding.
No moisturizer or anything. I get rashes and clogged pores. Just a smear,of Neosporin a couple of nights per week at bedtime.

No time on hair either. Just a quick brush. Do have to wash/condition every day but that is in a quick 5-10 minute shower. Just let it air dry.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I can't even imagine the need for blow drying hair every morning! Workdays, I'm up at 4:30am... so I wash my hair at night. Long and wavy, it just does it's thing. The older I get, the more streamlined my makeup routine gets. Luckily, this gives me my much needed quiet coffee time before work.
I can go from pjs to out the door in 30 min or less.
I watch those videos sometimes with the younger gals, (mostly trying to sell makeup)...oh my. "Baking" their concealer, countouring and highlightighting and multiple shades of eyeshadow. I get mesmerized watching, but that will never be me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results