clarity

How long for makeup and hair?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the daily no makeup so 0 for that and my hair I just brush and put into a ponytail 2 min. Add in a shower and getting dressed around 25 minutes for everything.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re welcome. I hope you love it.

Yes, thanks! I will order some for myself and my daughter! She has THICK straight hair and this looks perfect for her as she's not yet able to use regular ponytail holders. I think she would be able to use this easily and it would stay in her hair all day.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buns pull on my scalp. I do a simple braid down my back.

Sunnybopeep

Rough_Rock
Are you Ramona Singer of RHONY? :lol: I saw her do that on the show once and thought it was kind of adorable.
Haha I am not, but it’s a MUST for bangs.
I do get a lot of odd looks on the elevator in my apartment, though!:roll2:

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
Each day... I use foundation at least as a concealer & often further. A YSL concealer stick is always in my bag. I suspect that concealer & powder would be a better combination - & of course, I am not trying!

My moisturizer is a hot towel - applied once or twice a week in the evenings. Frankly, it is so relaxing too - this stuff must have been how barbers addicted their 'prey' ,) Skin does its own moisturising in response - & just as well, as it doesn't let me do anything else. Camelia oil is an exception - that I should be using better. @xsouzie [on hair - I haven't even tried... ]

Then, there is a clay mask - a variably light wash of clay powder & H2O - at the end of the week; it does heal just about anything my skin comes up with.

I tend to use a white highlighter around the eye - instead of heavier concealer use.

Color... Folks are so surprised to see any not natural colour on my face - it is rather nice to do every now & then ,)

I use Shu Uemura Essence Absolute nourishing protective oil. IMO, camellia oil is so much better than argan for your hair. =)2

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found camellia much too heavy. It made my hair completely flat, even when I use the tiniest bit on damp hair.

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@chrono I am more worried about the scalp than hair, so I intend to apply at the roots, letting the hair take what it may; at least, this is what I think I am doing - skin has the last word in these things.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why scalp? @AV_

If I apply on my scalp, it’s even worse. My entire crown becomes a helmet head from the heaviness of the oil.

When I noticed significant hair loss, it turned out to be Vit D deficiency. After taking mega doses of D, K7, and Magnesium (Biotin thrown in as advised by my MD), I don’t need to oil my hair anymore. I’m seeing a lot of new growth, less hair on the floor, and much silkier hair. My hair hardly tangles now too.

Last edited:
Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock

My skin has not taken well my move to a dry climate in my 40s. I have put more guesswork into what it wants than usual, & things mostly work. The scalp also feels 'dry' - without any other fact out of order. D is OK ... I am inclined to try topical treatments.

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
It takes me 1 hr to get ready: 15 mins to shower, 15 mins for hair and 30 mins for m/u.

I LOVE m/u, so I wear it most days even if I don't leave the house. Right now I'm loving Pat McGrath Lip Fetish.

The packaging of her line is so extra, and I just love it, lol.

46315704_604643139955771_1651950496174470861_n.jpg

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
If I don’t really care, it takes 5 minutes to slap on foundation, eyeliner, eyebrow pencil, and lip balm. I just brush my hair to get out the tangles. If it’s a formal event, I take 1.5 hours or more.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It takes me 1 hr to get ready: 15 mins to shower, 15 mins for hair and 30 mins for m/u.

I LOVE m/u, so I wear it most days even if I don't leave the house. Right now I'm loving Pat McGrath Lip Fetish.

The packaging of her line is so extra, and I just love it, lol.

46315704_604643139955771_1651950496174470861_n.jpg

LOVE Pat McGrath!!! I go to her for matte and TF for everything else

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting to re-read this old thread. I've had a disaster, which is that a Sephora opened right next to my work. The net result is that my make-up is better and my bank account is worse!

They are absolutely evil in that store. They now do tons and tons of products in miniature, which tempts you, and they run free group makeup classes. Today I had my face scanned so they could tell me what skintone I have and what shades suit me.

Like I said, evil.

As a result, I have discovered face and eye primers, setting powder and setting spray, and they are the BIZ. My makeup looks every bit as fresh in the evening as it did in the morning. My makeup routine is longer because now I use face primer, eyelid primer, under-eye primer, highlighter, setting powder, setting spray, brow mascara, and under-eye blurring powder, in addition to foundation, concealer, blush, eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara, lipgloss and sometimes lipliner.

I really love makeup, and being a regular at Sephora and taking advantage of their services and mini offerings has introduced me to some fab new products and shades.

The newest products have wonderful technology - they are whisper-light and even with all those layers, you can't see or feel any of it on my skin.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone seen this Emmy-nominated anti-makeup-pressure video by Amy Schumer? It's incredibly well-done. The "boy band" sounds just like One Direction and the song is amazing with very clever lyrics.

I know the point of the video is that women should not be pressured into wearing makeup if they don't want to, which is a point I fully agree with.

The part that upset me was the representation, at the beginning, of a girl who wears makeup, acting silly and wearing a girly pink dress. It seems to imply that women who DO wear makeup are bimbo-like. As a woman who loves makeup, it's a stereotype I'm not fond of. You can be clever and still enjoy makeup!

It's worth a watch. Very catchy song and great lyrics:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Wear it when you sleep and swim!" LOL!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make up takes between 5 and 10 minutes. Usually 5, as all I do is foundation, powder, blush and mascara. More if I try to do something in the realm of eyeliner and shadow, but that's usually for going out.

Hair is harder to pin down, depending on what I do with it. Washday means an hour if I straighten. That would be a blow dry straight, then flatiron to finish the look. The next couple days, I can be ready in about 10 minutes, with a flatiron touch up. If I go with a curly look, washday would be more like 30 minutes if I diffuse, 5 if I don't. Second day hair curly is 5-10, I spritz my hair with leave in conditioner and maybe use the dryer or flatiron to fix my bangs, if needed.

Are you sorry you asked? ;-)

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:twirl:

:lol:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's interesting how many steered away from makeup as they got older.

I was always too lazy to worry about makeup (or hair) until my 50's. Then I started wearing it, mostly for work, as I started to notice brow thinning and uneven skin pigmentation. Unless a special occasion, I still usually go "naked" except for moisturizer on the weekends or days off. For work, it's 10 minutes, as I still never mastered the fine art of blending makeup, contouring, etc. and use a very simple routine that I learned when I walked into a Bare Minerals store (previous to that, many attempts to teach me how to do my makeup by others failed).

My daily hair routine is still wash, comb out and go. However, I now have had to turn to periodic highlight treatments to help cover the gray strands coming in. Even though I don't have as much hair as I did when younger, I still am blessed with enough that it would take too much time for me to style on a daily basis. (A full hair appt - cut, highlights, blowdry - takes 3-4 hours and I am still guilty of only an annual haircut because its such an inconvenience).

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't answered this thread before, but it takes me 30 mins from waking to leaving the house. I shower and wash my hair at night.
Get dressed, tell my son about 8 times to get ready
10-15 mins to do makeup. That includes primer, foundation, powder, eyebrows, eyeshadow (nude), eyeliner (always a cat eye), mascara and blush.
Brush my hair, braid it or put it into a bun with a hair stick or fork.
Eat breakfast, drink tea, brush teeth.

When I'm going out, even if it's just for dinner with my family I spend about an hour but that includes showering and wearing a bit more colour on my face. :cool2:

I do my own nails at the weekend (gel polish). Colour my hair with henna & indigo every 1-2 months.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've definitely been using a lot less makeup as I get older so my morning routine is pretty quick. When I was in my 20s and 30s, I wore full eye makeup every day. Now that I'm mid-40s, anything more than the bare minimum makes me look garish. I'm not sure why that is!! Maybe the combination of makeup with my sagging and increasingly crepey skin just looks off somehow. :cry2: These days I feel like I look younger with less makeup, but I'm not sure others would agree with me.

What I do in the mornings: a quick swipe of eye liner on my top lid, bit of brow powder, just enough foundation/powder to even out my skin tone, a swipe of blush, and a light pink lip gloss. A rather natural and minimal look, in my opinion. This takes 7 minutes.

I shower just before bedtime and deal with my hair then. It's blow and go (long, slightly wavy, colored) and I sleep on it while it's still a bit damp. I find this gives my hair some "character" in the mornings.

Adding up my nighttime shower and hair blowdry with my morning makeup routine, that's 30 minutes total. When I'm not going to work, e.g. weekends, I don't wear any makeup at all and just throw my hair into a ponytail.

Last edited:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
For work days, I go to gym in the morning and my total routine from shower 5 min, getting dressed 5 min, hair 10 min and make up 5 min at the gym until I step into my office (one block away) is about 30 minutes total.

On the weekends when I'm getting ready to go out, I give myself a little more time, and start getting ready 45 minutes before I head out the door.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results