shape
carat
color
clarity

How honest is this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
All I know is, I have done many threads asking for opinions on RT, and really wanted honest opinions & critique, since I was in the decision phase. If, when my custom ring is done, after all this trauma, people wrote, "well, OFG, it''s okay but I''m not really crazy about it" I would cry!
39.gif
I did want the honesty while there was something I could do about it, but once I can''t change it I want compliments!! (hopefully honest ones!
2.gif
)

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Okay, lets retreat to our individual corners, because this is becoming a verbal slug fest!

I really think that when someone comes to this page, and takes the time to share with us all her ring, that its not about personal opinion anymore, rather a time to celebrate her big news, or new bauble, or whatever it is that brings her/him here!

I'll admit that not everything I see on this page is my personal taste...but for someone, that ring was "it" and I know how that feels! I have posted my rings here, and I've had some nice feedback, and others have been lukewarm...all comments, regardless of their reaction, their opinion...but for me, my ring is great! So, I always congratulate people and tell them their ring is lovely or perfect or beautiful, and FOR THEM it is...and who am I to make them feel like it's tacky, or ugly, just because I wouldn't wear it? It's kinda like "theres a lid for every pot"....theres a ring for every girl.

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 11:36:38 AM
Author: MP
I can see that there is no point in continueing to post in this topic due to some unwarranted responses. On that note....I quote Ellen, ''Yeah. I''m done.
offtobed.gif
''

So glad he realized he was being pointless by starting such a controversial topic....Funny how he said "unwarranted responses". I was just being honest... The man wants to be honest but we can''t be honest with him. How unfair!
Well folks, just remember to give MP honest responses each and everytime he posts for I am sure he will appreciate it!!!
41.gif

MP

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 12:00:16 PM
Author: krisvrn

I can see that there is no point in continueing to post in this topic due to some unwarranted responses. On that note....I quote Ellen, 'Yeah. I'm done.
offtobed.gif
'

So glad he realized he was being pointless by starting such a controversial topic....Funny how he said 'unwarranted responses'. I was just being honest... The man wants to be honest but we can't be honest with him. How unfair!
Well folks, just remember to give MP honest responses each and everytime he posts for I am sure he will appreciate it!!!
41.gif
Listen, the comment you made bringing my girlfriend into the foray was way out of line no two ways about it. Even referring to her in anything but a respectful manner crosses the line. Simply saying what if, or "would you like constructive criticism" when it comes to her is especially out of the ordinary for this forum. That is the comment that led me to end any more discussion on this topic. The comment I'm referring too is below.

"This man posted a picture of his future wife. He received many nice responses. I wonder how he would feel if someone gave some "constructive criticism"
9.gif
"

A cheap shot to say the least and I am quite sure that the true ladies on this forum would agree with me. Shame on you and your need to stoop to such a level.
20.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get a grip, people!

MP wasn''t INSULTING anyone. He didn''t SAY people were dishonest ... he ASKED about the honesty level in terms of "flattery" vs. full disclosure. He wasn''t on SMTR cutting down people''s bling ... he had the AUDACITY to think his thread might help other people ... and for that he''s ridiculed and vilified.

Criticizing people''s THREADS and INTENTIONS is just as cruel and judgmental as nitpicking someone''s jewelry. And I can''t believe some posters in this thread don''t seem to see that IRONY.

MP, I applaud your reasoned, measured responses in this thread and am appalled that people started attacking you *personally*. If anything, you might have overestimated the "value" of your discovery (GASP!! HORRORS!!!) but what you''ve encountered here is unbelievable.
23.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 2:15:37 PM

I can see that there is no point in continueing to post in this topic due to some unwarranted responses. On that note....I quote Ellen, ''Yeah. I''m done.
offtobed.gif
''

So glad he realized he was being pointless by starting such a controversial topic....Funny how he said ''unwarranted responses''. I was just being honest... The man wants to be honest but we can''t be honest with him. How unfair!
41.gif
Listen, the comment you made bringing my girlfriend into the foray was way out of line no two ways about it. Even referring to her in anything but a respectful manner crosses the line. Simply saying what if, or ''would you like constructive criticism'' when it comes to her is especially out of the ordinary for this forum. That is the comment that led me to end any more discussion on this topic. The comment I''m referring too is below.

''This man posted a picture of his future wife. He received many nice responses. I wonder how he would feel if someone gave some ''constructive criticism''
9.gif
''

A cheap shot to say the least and I am quite sure that the true ladies on this forum would agree with me. Shame on you and your need to stoop to such a level.
20.gif
I haven''t posted on this thread because it''s all been said and like Tacori, I don''t really see the point.

However MP, I totally agree that what krisvrn said was a cheap shot and ridiculous. She almost seems gleeful in her rudeness.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 2:23:41 PM
Author: decodelighted
Get a grip, people!

MP wasn''t INSULTING anyone. He didn''t SAY people were dishonest ... he ASKED about the honesty level in terms of ''flattery'' vs. full disclosure. He wasn''t on SMTR cutting down people''s bling ... he had the AUDACITY to think his thread might help other people ... and for that he''s ridiculed and vilified.

Criticizing people''s THREADS and INTENTIONS is just as cruel and judgmental as nitpicking someone''s jewelry. And I can''t believe some posters in this thread don''t seem to see that IRONY.

MP, I applaud your reasoned, measured responses in this thread and am appalled that people started attacking you *personally*. If anything, you might have overestimated the ''value'' of your discovery (GASP!! HORRORS!!!) but what you''ve encountered here is unbelievable.
23.gif
Deco, you beat me to the punch. You''re gonna have to cut that out.

MP

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 2:23:41 PM
Author: decodelighted
Get a grip, people!

MP wasn''t INSULTING anyone. He didn''t SAY people were dishonest ... he ASKED about the honesty level in terms of ''flattery'' vs. full disclosure. He wasn''t on SMTR cutting down people''s bling ... he had the AUDACITY to think his thread might help other people ... and for that he''s ridiculed and vilified.

MP, I applaud your reasoned, measured responses in this thread and am appalled that people started attacking you *personally*. If anything, you might have overestimated the ''value'' of your discovery (GASP!! HORRORS!!!) but what you''ve encountered here is unbelievable.
23.gif
I appreciate your response decodeddelight. I was beginning to think that a lynch mob was being organized at my expense. It''s nice to see someone with as much experience on this site as you trying to bring people back to a semblance of adult discussion.
face20.gif

MP

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 2:25:14 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 2/27/2008 2:15:37 PM

I can see that there is no point in continueing to post in this topic due to some unwarranted responses. On that note....I quote Ellen, 'Yeah. I'm done.
offtobed.gif
'

So glad he realized he was being pointless by starting such a controversial topic....Funny how he said 'unwarranted responses'. I was just being honest... The man wants to be honest but we can't be honest with him. How unfair!
41.gif
Listen, the comment you made bringing my girlfriend into the foray was way out of line no two ways about it. Even referring to her in anything but a respectful manner crosses the line. Simply saying what if, or 'would you like constructive criticism' when it comes to her is especially out of the ordinary for this forum. That is the comment that led me to end any more discussion on this topic. The comment I'm referring too is below.

'This man posted a picture of his future wife. He received many nice responses. I wonder how he would feel if someone gave some 'constructive criticism'
9.gif
'

20.gif
I haven't posted on this thread because it's all been said and like Tacori, I don't really see the point.

However MP, I totally agree that what krisvrn said was a cheap shot and ridiculous. She almost seems gleeful in her rudeness.
Thank you traveling gal. Just for the record my girlfriend is a rare beauty that no diamond can compare too.
face20.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 2:31:43 PM
Thank you traveling gal. Just for the record my girlfriend is a rare beauty that no diamond can compare too. Tall, blonde, in shape, beautiful, and lights up a room when she enters.
face20.gif
1.gif
Which thread did you post her pic on? I''d love to see the lovely recipient of the ring you are doing all your research on...

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
While I appreciate the views of Tgal and Deco...I have to say that there were instances when MP was out of line.

I think the topic was semi-warranted, and it was certainly interesting...but it has become a battle...from mostly everyone involved. People on this site have very strong opinions (myself absolutely included) and often times when people have conflicting views of a topic or whatever, it gets heated.

MP asked for honesty and apparently he got an ear full!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 2:34:27 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
While I appreciate the views of Tgal and Deco...I have to say that there were instances when MP was out of line.

I think the topic was semi-warranted, and it was certainly interesting...but it has become a battle...from mostly everyone involved. People on this site have very strong opinions (myself absolutely included) and often times when people have conflicting views of a topic or whatever, it gets heated.

Italia, go back and find one post where you thought MP was being rude. I just went back and read all of them and don''t see it. Not once. He was diplomatic in every single post.

Just because he has a strong opinon that doesn''t follow the crowd does not make him out of line. He may have seemed stubborn to some, dense to others, but he was NEVER RUDE.

MP

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 2:34:27 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

I apologize if you thought any of my comments were out of line. I thought they were all to the point and of a non personal nature simply staying on topic. I think the topic was warranted and that''s why I posted it. I wasn''t expecting it to get this heated, but hopefully at the end of the day it has served some purpose.

chizzy1982

Shiny_Rock
MP

I have just gone back and re-read your original post and while the thread did get off topic and did get rather heated for which i apologise, however, I would just like to know why you would like to see a more critical assessment of a finished ring. I apologise if you have already explained this ( I''ll blame it on all teh flu meds I''m taking!) but i really don''t understand what purpose it serves to critque something which is already finished and is being presented to the SMTR community to be ooohd and aahhhd over
33.gif

have I misunderstood your original post? Aplogises if so!

MP

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 3:12:13 PM
Author: chizzy1982
MP

I have just gone back and re-read your original post and while the thread did get off topic and did get rather heated for which i apologise, however, I would just like to know why you would like to see a more critical assessment of a finished ring. I apologise if you have already explained this ( I'll blame it on all teh flu meds I'm taking!) but i really don't understand what purpose it serves to critque something which is already finished and is being presented to the SMTR community to be ooohd and aahhhd over
33.gif

I meant that I would like to see more discussion of each piece from a constructive point of view. Something like your ring is great, would also look good with baguettes or pave diamonds. My original post was referring to that and to the fact that all I have seen is "it looks great" with no discussion at all in these threads. I wanted peoples opinions on that subject.

chizzy1982

Shiny_Rock
Ok......but do you agree that those comments would perhaps be more suited to the RT forum where rings are in the design phase and people are asking for advice and opinions rather than in the SMTR section where the finished pieces are presented?

MP

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 3:44:59 PM
Ok......but do you agree that those comments would perhaps be more suited to the RT forum where rings are in the design phase and people are asking for advice and opinions rather than in the SMTR section where the finished pieces are presented?
I do agree that being overly critical with someone presenting a finished piece in SMTR is not a good idea. Way too touchy of a subject. However, I still would like to see peoples perspectives on a piece, simply stating how this or that would compliment the ring from a design point of view. That could be misconstrued as being overly critical as well to some people so maybe all of that is better left in RT.
face20.gif

Travelinggal, i can''t seem to find the thread with a picture of my girlfriend. I believe it was the thread where I discussed the flush fit with a wedding band design element.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Chizzy, He CONCEDED that point on page 2 of this endless thread!!! See the below quote.
He's really been pretty polite, and willing to absorb other people's opinions.

Date: 2/26/2008 12:07:39 PM
I completley agree with you guys and I'm glad that I posted this topic up because I think it has clarified my concerns. Like I've said previously I think the SMTR is for showing off your piece of jewelry and having people praise it or how you presented it to your loved one. The critical eye belongs in Rocky Talk or at a point where the poster is seeking an opinion on a design or idea.
MP
face20.gif

chizzy1982

Shiny_Rock
Apologies - as I said i ''ll put it down to the meds!
28.gif

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 3:34:37 PM

MP

I have just gone back and re-read your original post and while the thread did get off topic and did get rather heated for which i apologise, however, I would just like to know why you would like to see a more critical assessment of a finished ring. I apologise if you have already explained this ( I''ll blame it on all teh flu meds I''m taking!) but i really don''t understand what purpose it serves to critque something which is already finished and is being presented to the SMTR community to be ooohd and aahhhd over
33.gif

I meant that I would like to see more discussion of each piece from a constructive point of view. Something like your ring is great, would also look good with baguettes or pave diamonds. My original post was referring to that and to the fact that all I have seen is ''it looks great'' with no discussion at all in these threads. I wanted peoples opinions on that subject.
Suddenly you seem to make a 180 on what you really meant when you started the thread. You seemed to enjoy it all when you got annoyed resonses from the others??!!??

And it was not a cheap shot bringing your gf in. It was an example.. You say something about one''s finished ring.. how do you think they would take it? So my thoughts back to you... how would you like it if someone said something about your gf??? BTW- did I say anything negative??? That must be all in your mind this is exactly what I posted: This man posted a picture of his future wife. He received many nice responses. I wonder how he would feel if someone gave some "constructive criticism"
Point is.. one''s ring is personal so Unless they ask for your thoughts when they are sharing their ring, it''s best to just move on and not say anything if you have nothing nice to say.

take the comments like a man. You had the audicity to start a thread that you knew would be controversal so accept all the thoughts and comments.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Chizzy, no prob, and sorry for singling you out.

There are plenty of other people here though who need to go back and carefully re-read what HE said and what OTHER people said rather than just reading the first page, flying into a tizzy and ripping him a new one. He GETS it. He''s said it twice now. He''s new-ish, not sure how things work, so he asked for a clarification and got it (and got it again, and again, and AGAIN).

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 3:58:40 PM
Author: hisdiamondgirl
Sorry you got your head chewed off MP!
20.gif
I guess that goes to show you that we can be a pretty honest bunch around here!
2.gif

TGal...here''s the link to the pic of the lovely lady!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1-51-princess-cut-bought-it-this-morning-at-bailey-banks-and-biddle-and-they-are-sending-it-out-to.77212/
I agree the lady he posted is absolutely beautiful. I hope he doesn''t talk to her this way. It seems he likes to get things started and then doesn''t like the responses he gets.

MP

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 3:58:14 PM

Date: 2/27/2008 3:34:37 PM

MP

33.gif

I meant that I would like to see more discussion of each piece from a constructive point of view. Something like your ring is great, would also look good with baguettes or pave diamonds. My original post was referring to that and to the fact that all I have seen is ''it looks great'' with no discussion at all in these threads. I wanted peoples opinions on that subject.

Suddenly you seem to make a 180 on what you really meant when you started the thread. You seemed to enjoy it all when you got annoyed resonses from the others??!!??

And it was not a cheap shot bringing your gf in. It was an example.. You say something about one''s finished ring.. how do you think they would take it? So my thoughts back to you... how would you like it if someone said something about your gf??? BTW- did I say anything negative??? That must be all in your mind this is exactly what I posted: This man posted a picture of his future wife. He received many nice responses. I wonder how he would feel if someone gave some ''constructive criticism''

Point is.. one''s ring is personal so Unless they ask for your thoughts when they are sharing their ring, it''s best to just move on and not say anything if you have nothing nice to say.

take the comments like a man. You had the audicity to start a thread that you knew would be controversal so accept all the thoughts and comments.

Krisvrn, I can only speak for myself, but I''m quite sure that the others that have commented on your personal attack response to this topic as being out of line would agree with me when I say, quit while you are ahead. Damage done, no hard feelings on my part, let''s move on.
face20.gif

mijamajasky

Rough_Rock
wow...is all i can say...ok i can say more...i really am surprised that a ''newbie'' would be treated in such a way! honestly, if i understand it correctly it was just kind of a curiosity question that he was honest and trusting enough to share with everyone rather then making judgements and leaving...granted the title of the post grabbed your attention...but if he wanted a battle i think he would of been more aggressive...but ladies, he wasn''t you were.. if everyone thought it was such nonsense why give any further life to the situation by responding? he seemed pretty gracious, i think he ''got it'', and all points were made, but what followed...not very kind...and bordering on snobbery...ultimately, now feelings may have been hurt and someone who may have had something of value to offer in the future was turned away...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well MP, there''s no "constructive criticism" to give on your lady. She is gorgeous.

Krisvrn, you''re bordering on insulting. Commenting on a RING (i.e., a MATERIAL possession, no matter how sentimental) is NOT the same as commenting someone''s love. You also are being very presumptious to say that he had the "audacity" to start this topic knowing it was going to start something. The initial post was innocent enough, IMHO.

I hope YOU don''t talk to your SO this way, and realize when it''s time to be gracious and just step back for two seconds.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 3:58:14 PM

krisvrn, It wasn''t a sudden 180, it was on page 2 that he said he understood the point of SMTR as opposed to RT and essentially agreed with everyone. You''re reading a great deal into what he was thinking and feeling, too.

What about this statement offends you so much and makes you think he isn''t "acting like a man?" Enough with the personal attacks!

"I do agree that being overly critical with someone presenting a finished piece in SMTR is not a good idea. Way too touchy of a subject. However, I still would like to see peoples perspectives on a piece, simply stating how this or that would compliment the ring from a design point of view. That could be misconstrued as being overly critical as well to some people so maybe all of that is better left in RT. "

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock
EVERYONE.. I was just telling the man my thoughts. He asked for an honest opinion. I personally thought his other comments were insulting so I responded. I think this area should be kept for "showing the ring" and nothing more.

He over thought and questioned everyone''s sincerity and that I believe is wrong. When one provides a comment.. let it be...
No need to make comments on adding baguettes or whatever on a finished product. No reason to provide additional advise on a finished product unless one is asking.

And for the others... I am not a rude person... MP''s comments (in my perception) were a bit condescending. So I responded.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 4:20:14 PM
EVERYONE.. I was just telling the man my thoughts. He asked for an honest opinion. I personally thought his other comments were insulting so I responded. I think this area should be kept for ''showing the ring'' and nothing more.

He over thought and questioned everyone''s sincerity and that I believe is wrong. When one provides a comment.. let it be...
No need to make comments on adding baguettes or whatever on a finished product. No reason to provide additional advise on a finished product unless one is asking.

And for the others... I am not a rude person... MP''s comments (in my perception) were a bit condescending. So I responded.
Gotcha. Sorry, it was my PERCEPTION you were being rude, so I responded.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tgal, this whole thread makes me feel like your AV!

FYI, in future cases whenever I post my jewelry I do NOT want "constructive critiques" on what YOU might think would make it look better. Those are opinions not facts and I obviously like it how it is. Thank you in advance
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results