shape
carat
color
clarity

How honest is this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ali

Shiny_Rock
This thread will remain in this forum because the original question pertains to it specifically.

I believe the question has been thoroughly answered.

Lv2shopp

Shiny_Rock
Tacori E-ring, ditto on that.
24.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wait, this thread is still going on? I'm so confused.
huh.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think i understood what kris was saying...and it wasn't meant to be a 'dig' from what i got. unless my dig radar is totally under construction!!

to me she wasn't saying the gf needed any criticism, but rather...gosh you're asking a question that seems a no brainer. how would you feel if people chimed in giving you what they perceived as honest criticism on the photo you posted of your gf instead of just saying how beautiful she was. you might not be in here questioning how 'honest' people are if it was a subject that was super personal to you.

so for me, it didn't seem like an attack, but rather 'view this from a different standpoint' and see how you might be a little insulted if someone was trying to offer you constructive criticism on something (in this case someone) you absolutely loved and felt was perfect and above reproach.

felt a little bad for kris getting jumped on when i didn't read her comment that way at all.

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 5:23:12 PM
Author: Mara
i think i understood what kris was saying...and it wasn''t meant to be a ''dig'' from what i got. unless my dig radar is totally under construction!!

to me she wasn''t saying the gf needed any criticism, but rather...gosh you''re asking a question that seems a no brainer. how would you feel if people chimed in giving you what they perceived as honest criticism on the photo you posted of your gf instead of just saying how beautiful she was. you might not be in here questioning how ''honest'' people are if it was a subject that was super personal to you.

so for me, it didn''t seem like an attack, but rather ''view this from a different standpoint'' and see how you might be a little insulted if someone was trying to offer you constructive criticism on something (in this case someone) you absolutely loved and felt was perfect and above reproach.

felt a little bad for kris getting jumped on when i didn''t read her comment that way at all.
Thank You for understanding what I was trying to get across. I probably should have used another example like a car or something but it seemed to me that MP was sort of stubborn so the only way he could see it my way (and some others who felt insulted) was to use his gf as an example.

See my other threads... I am not rude.. actually I am another one that always says "pretty or beautiful" etc... I only give my thoughts and opinions when asked & he did ask.
I felt that when he wanted to question other''s motives it was ok but when I tried to question him... I was attacking him... but anyway... let''s just show more pretty rings... I believe the only thing we have all learned from this thread is.. Be really careful on how we post or say things...Be very discriptive on what you are asking... (but the title of his thread didn''t seem to innocent to me) It''s so hard to truly understand what one is saying online... it''s not a face to face conversation... And let''s just use simple comment sense.. don''t give recommendations or advise unless it''s solicited.
21.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 2:33:46 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Date: 2/27/2008 2:31:43 PM
Author: MP

Thank you traveling gal. Just for the record my girlfriend is a rare beauty that no diamond can compare too. Tall, blonde, in shape, beautiful, and lights up a room when she enters.
face20.gif
1.gif
Which thread did you post her pic on? I'd love to see the lovely recipient of the ring you are doing all your research on...
Here she is! Cutie, if ya ask me. (And that's my HONEST opinion
3.gif
haha)

girl.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 5:43:03 PM
Author: krisvrn

Date: 2/27/2008 5:23:12 PM
i think i understood what kris was saying...and it wasn''t meant to be a ''dig'' from what i got. unless my dig radar is totally under construction!!

to me she wasn''t saying the gf needed any criticism, but rather...gosh you''re asking a question that seems a no brainer. how would you feel if people chimed in giving you what they perceived as honest criticism on the photo you posted of your gf instead of just saying how beautiful she was. you might not be in here questioning how ''honest'' people are if it was a subject that was super personal to you.

so for me, it didn''t seem like an attack, but rather ''view this from a different standpoint'' and see how you might be a little insulted if someone was trying to offer you constructive criticism on something (in this case someone) you absolutely loved and felt was perfect and above reproach.

felt a little bad for kris getting jumped on when i didn''t read her comment that way at all.
Thank You for understanding what I was trying to get across. I probably should have used another example like a car or something but it seemed to me that MP was sort of stubborn so the only way he could see it my way (and some others who felt insulted) was to use his gf as an example.

See my other threads... I am not rude.. actually I am another one that always says ''pretty or beautiful'' etc... I only give my thoughts and opinions when asked & he did ask.
I felt that when he wanted to question other''s motives it was ok but when I tried to question him... I was attacking him... but anyway... let''s just show more pretty rings... I believe the only thing we have all learned from this thread is.. Be really careful on how we post or say things...Be very discriptive on what you are asking... (but the title of his thread didn''t seem to innocent to me) It''s so hard to truly understand what one is saying online... it''s not a face to face conversation... And let''s just use simple comment sense.. don''t give recommendations or advise unless it''s solicited.
21.gif
That probably would have been a better idea.

Mara, once again, we disagree. I obviously don''t think she she meant the gf needed criticism. And I understand that she was trying to make the personal connection. However, using the girlfriend WAS over the top because sorry...nothing like bringing in someone''s loved one as ammo to get your back up.

Subsequent posts were not apologetic, but instead more aggressive. i.e., "take it like a man." If she had posted something more to the effect of what she had said above, I think the perception would have been different.

Which goes back to the point I''ve been making about "perception." If someone is insulted, it is very possible that you did not mean to offend. But in the end PERCEPTION is just as valid as intention and MP made it clear he was offended by krisvrn''s post. Then, IMHO, it is nice to be gracious and offer an apology with any clarification, instead of goading on.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Perception certainly is everything...I didn''t bother reading any resulting clarification posts because I already had my perception of the first post firmly set.

I also thought it was funny that people were all over kris when I didn''t think her example warranted the response. But maybe it''s that full moon ''everyone''s so sharp'' thing again. I''m feeling kind of gushy squeegy today...not sharp.
5.gif
Mmmm pearl tea squishy.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 6:08:56 PM
Perception certainly is everything...I didn''t bother reading any resulting clarification posts because I already had my perception of the first post firmly set.

I also thought it was funny that people were all over kris when I didn''t think her example warranted the response. But maybe it''s that full moon ''everyone''s so sharp'' thing again. I''m feeling kind of gushy squeegy today...not sharp.
5.gif
Mmmm pearl tea squishy.
What''s pearl tea?

Girl, you have to read ALL the data, doncha know that? How could you not being the research queen that you are?
9.gif

Opinions, opinions, everyone has opinions.

But I think most of us agree to keep them to ourselves on SMTR if they aren''t complimentary!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 6:11:18 PM

Perception certainly is everything...I didn't bother reading any resulting clarification posts because I already had my perception of the first post firmly set.

I also thought it was funny that people were all over kris when I didn't think her example warranted the response. But maybe it's that full moon 'everyone's so sharp' thing again. I'm feeling kind of gushy squeegy today...not sharp.
5.gif
Mmmm pearl tea squishy.
What's pearl tea?

Girl, you have to read ALL the data, doncha know that? How could you not being the research queen that you are?
9.gif

But I think most of us agree to keep them to ourselves on SMTR if they aren't complimentary!!!
I only research things that are interesting to me!! Like donuts.

You don't know what pearl tea is? Seriously?? It's also called Bubble Tea. It's my latest obsession but has been big around here for years. I actually don't get the pearls/bubbles because they are about 7 cals each and they put about 30-40 in each container and that's a whole lotta calories and carbs I don't need. But the regular milk tea or honeydew milk is yummy iced!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea

Opinions! Rock of salt. The two are fabulous together.

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Mmmmm bubble tea, sounds good! I want some!
31.gif
31.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 6:13:24 PM

Date: 2/27/2008 6:11:18 PM

5.gif
Mmmm pearl tea squishy.
What''s pearl tea?

9.gif

But I think most of us agree to keep them to ourselves on SMTR if they aren''t complimentary!!!
I only research things that are interesting to me!! Like donuts.

You don''t know what pearl tea is? Seriously?? It''s also called Bubble Tea. It''s my latest obsession but has been big around here for years. I actually don''t get the pearls/bubbles because they are about 7 cals each and they put about 30-40 in each container and that''s a whole lotta calories and carbs I don''t need. But the regular milk tea or honeydew milk is yummy iced!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea

Opinions! Rock of salt. The two are fabulous together.
Damn you woman! Now I am craving donuts!!!

No, I have no idea. I''ll check out pearl tea. I love tea.

*checking out link*

Oooh...BOBA...that''s what we call it here. I agree the BEVERAGES are great. But I HATE those tapioca balls! I''m happily drinking my tea then *gulp*
23.gif
*choke choke*. I don''t like my beverages trying to kill me!

Just don''t add rocks of salt in your tea. Bleech.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HAH I am craving donuts lately too! I actually found a FAB recommended place on Yelp that I tried out a few weeks ago and my coworkers loved it. Who knew you could use Yelp to find great donut places...the internet rocks.

I get the tea without the pearls/boba/bubble, but yeah I could see them as a choking hazard for sure. Especially while multi-tasking!

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock
What do the pearls taste like?!?!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 6:29:51 PM

HAH I am craving donuts lately too! I actually found a FAB recommended place on Yelp that I tried out a few weeks ago and my coworkers loved it. Who knew you could use Yelp to find great donut places...the internet rocks.

I get the tea without the pearls/boba/bubble, but yeah I could see them as a choking hazard for sure. Especially while multi-tasking!
Well, I''m down a few brain cells so there is no way I can drink and chew at the same time.

Because of you I am actually going out now to get sweets. Not donuts...I''m resisting. I''m going to get pie. Marie Calender''s is running their $5.99 any pie special and I''m off to get peach pie. (no lemon...sorry, blasphemer here).

MP, hope you don''t mind the threadjack. But pie is ALWAYS on topic ''round here.
1.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 6:32:17 PM
Author: hisdiamondgirl
Chewy balls of death.

Honestly, kind of like nothing?

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 6:34:59 PM

Chewy balls of death.

Guess they''re not worth putting yourself in death''s path, huh?

Have to try some, wonder where I can get some around here!!!
31.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2008 9:49:55 AM
Author:MP
I''ve been looking at almost every diamond ring picture new topic post for the last several months and one thing that has been a common theme is nothing but praise. Generally when someone posts up a bunch of pictures about their ring they are asking for opinions as to how it looks. Now obviously one doesn''t want to be negative to someone who is excited about thier ring, but I wonder how honest people are being. Every ring posted up here can''t be, ''Oh my God it''s gorgeous!''.

My point of view is that you can give constructive criticism without being overly negative to someone and maintain your honest opinion. So I ask it again, how honest is this forum?

Simply from a helping others out in their ring purchase you can point out how doing this differently or that differently for this particular ring would have achieved a great look. Obviously, I''m not asking for people to come on here and rip someone a new one, but I would like to see more of critical assesment of each ring.
If the ring is purchased -- a done deal -- why would you burst someone''s happy bubble?
38.gif
I''ve seen many rings on PS that I would personally not want; that doesn''t mean they aren''t nice rings. Offhand, I can''t recall a bad diamond or really crappy setting on any ring in the SMTR archives.

If an opinion is asked for -- prior to purchase -- PSers have been really honest about quality and cut of stones or what potential problems they see in a particular setting. But when someone is showing off a ring they are obviously delighted in, then the best course of action is to send congratulations and kind thoughts. And 99.999% of the time, we are being completely honest!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 6:38:40 PM

Chewy balls of death.

31.gif
I actually like the balls, even though they are balls of death and I always think "Here comes one! Don''t choke...don''t choke...!" My favorite Boba tea is Thai Iced Tea with the bubbles...YUM! I''d go get one right now but I''m just not up for the stomach pain of ingesting a bunch of half and half tonight!

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 6:47:53 PM
Author: thing2of2

Date: 2/27/2008 6:38:40 PM

Chewy balls of death.

31.gif
I actually like the balls, even though they are balls of death and I always think ''Here comes one! Don''t choke...don''t choke...!'' My favorite Boba tea is Thai Iced Tea with the bubbles...YUM! I''d go get one right now but I''m just not up for the stomach pain of ingesting a bunch of half and half tonight!
Are they chewy (like gummy bears maybe), crunchy, jello-y?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh the bubbles are fun. They are basically a boiled mixture of starch and brown sugar...like a tapioca, chewy yet firm. People either LOVE their consistency or hate them (aka think they feel weird chewing them). But since they do taste a whole lot like nothing they take on the taste of your tea in a way. But mostly people like to chew them. The places near us don't only do the pearl teas, they have snow bubble which is like shaved ice mixed with a fruit puree with pearls. Or a yogurt where they use real yogurt, with some milk and fresh fruit and pearls. They put these plastic lids on them (with a sealer machine) after tossing all the stuff in and then they have this auto-shaker thing so it shakes it all up. It's a fun afternoon worktime break!

So far I am loving plain 'milk tea' which is technically black tea mixed with a creamer/milk...but I love honeydew as well. Today my friend got a mango which she pronounced divine. They also have flavors like rose, lavendar, etc. Last weekend I had a FAB 'roasted barley' which tastes like cinnamon french toast, seriously. I've never had such good barley!

Mmm peach pie.
3.gif

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock

Seriously EVERYONE: WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND HERE LATELY?!?!?!?!?!

20.gif
7.gif
20.gif

What is with all these threads?
Don''t we all come here cause we love diamonds and jewelry?
Lets go back to having a good time helping each other cause we want to and smiling and ooliging at peoples jewels cause they make THEM happy not us???

Can''t we just do that?
Everyone step away from the computer take a few deep breaths and come back to the place the PS should be!
A nice happy blingy place where we all enjoy the eye candy, help the newbie pick out the best e-ring his FF has ever seen, a place to hang out as friends and sometimes agree to disagree.

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 6:51:10 PM
Oh the bubbles are fun. They are basically a boiled mixture of starch and brown sugar...like a tapioca, chewy yet firm. People either LOVE their consistency or hate them (aka think they feel weird chewing them). But since they do taste a whole lot like nothing they take on the taste of your tea in a way. But mostly people like to chew them. The places near us don''t only do the pearl teas, they have snow bubble which is like shaved ice mixed with a fruit puree with pearls. Or a yogurt where they use real yogurt, with some milk and fresh fruit and pearls. They put these plastic lids on them (with a sealer machine) after tossing all the stuff in and then they have this auto-shaker thing so it shakes it all up. It''s a fun afternoon worktime break!

So far I am loving plain ''milk tea'' which is technically black tea mixed with a creamer/milk...but I love honeydew as well. Today my friend got a mango which she pronounced divine. They also have flavors like rose, lavendar, etc. Last weekend I had a FAB ''roasted barley'' which tastes like cinnamon french toast, seriously. I''ve never had such good barley!

Mmm peach pie.
3.gif

Oh man...that stuff sounds really really yummy! Now, what kind of places sell it? Is it just specialty shops or do restaurants, etc have them?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can find them at tea shops...usually like a Lollicup, Jollibee, Tapioca Express, Quickly. Those are 4 big chains around here. And we have a lot of small places that have them too.

what city and state are you in or near??

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I've never heard of any of those.
7.gif
I'm in NYC.

I guess Chinatown would have them?
33.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh you''re in NYC? of course you have them!!!

Here are some recommendations from Yelp:

Ten Ren Tea
75 Mott Street
NYC

Vivi Bubble Tea
49 Bayard St
NYC

Quickly (see you do have one!)
237B Grand Street
NYC

Teariffic
51 Mott Street
NYC

TKettle
26 St Marks Place
NYC

Tavalon Tea
22 E. 14th Street
NYC

All of the above have at least 10-20 4 star reviews so they should be tasty. Ten Ren and Quickly have 45+ 4 star reviews...! Have fun!!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
What a curious evolution in subject matter.
1.gif

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock
threadhighjack.gif

This thread has officially been hijacked...sorry MP, although I would venture a guess that you were done with it anyway!

Yay! Thanks Mara. Those are actually relatively close (couple of subway stops away) to where I work so I will try to sneak out and grab one tomorrow! I''ll let you know what I think!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay i am so excited for you...hahaha. there are 4-5 of them within about a 2 mile radius of where i work...and so we are slowly trying all the diff places and reviewing them. it''s kind of a fun 15 min break in the afternoons for sure.

if you like flavors, try a flavored tea like a rose or a honeydew/melon. but the regular ''milk tea'' is basically a ceylon or black tea mixed with a dairy/creamer/milk and water and ice. everyone''s ''milk tea'' will taste slightly different...some are more sweet/sugary and others are not, some have a bit more of a slight roasted coffee taste and others have more of a flavor like a rose or similar. totally fun and interesting. enjoy!!

and lol re: the hijack...yeah i''d much rather talk about tea than drama! plus i love being an enabler.
31.gif

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
What?! SEVEN calories per bubble? I had no idea!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results