shape
carat
color
clarity

How high do you prefer your diamond be set?

Do you prefer your diamonds to be set high, or close to the finger

• I like my diamond set up high

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • I don't want it high off the finger, but I don't mind if it's a bit off the finger

Votes: 55 42.6%
  • I want my diamond set as low as possible

Votes: 67 51.9%

• Total voters

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
but I think the person may have requested the stone set very high.

I tend to think that settings are like diamonds in this regard- most people do not have the knowledge of the average PS reader.
The mass merchandisers can't afford to make rings which are set low from a pragmatic standpoint. A larger percent of stones in mall stores are set in "peg heads"
They allow interchangeability, but place the diamond waaaay up there ( close to mars:)

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i like low to medium-low set rings in general for the look & practicality but i see a lot of higher set ones.

one acquaintance who has a small stone set high...it's super sparkly and looks quite elegant on her. another friend has a petite pink stone set high... they both have slender fingers and the style suits them well. something kind of like the image below but with better proportions (and nicer gems).

r591-inset_1024x1024.jpg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My cathedral is quite “dramatic”, but, to MY eye, it isn’t “high”. I rarely catch it or snag it on anything, and have knocked it less than a handful of times. It is mounted higher off of my finger due to the collar that encircles the head, and the added row of diamonds along the profile. The diamond sits with the culet barely exposed, allowing a bit of space, which makes cleaning easier.
I believe the height of the stone benefits my wedding ring and Anniversary Band, as they sit nearly flush against the ER. It does, however, cast a shadow over my bands, at certain angles.
If not for the dramatic design of the ring, itself, the diamond would not sit so high, and is set relatively low in the head for protection. The fact that the head does sit higher, DH had the head customized in platinum to protect the EC.
Looking at it from above the table, it doesn’t look high, at all.
What do you think? :confused:
05EB2534-8D36-4889-8205-C9F3C09EAF77.jpeg ADF7DE39-2B22-4717-A83F-9C14B345B1E1.jpeg 153FF3FC-1E63-4F4A-ADDA-794E059764A2.jpeg ABF4B631-5C3F-4D30-BB34-D81CD717E5B9.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My cathedral is quite “dramatic”, but, to MY eye, it isn’t “high”. I rarely catch it or snag it on anything, and have knocked it less than a handful of times. It is mounted higher off of my finger due to the collar that encircles the head, and the added row of diamonds along the profile. The diamond sits with the culet barely exposed, allowing a bit of space, which makes cleaning easier.
I believe the height of the stone benefits my wedding ring and Anniversary Band, as they sit nearly flush against the ER. It does, however, cast a shadow over my bands, at certain angles.
If not for the dramatic design of the ring, itself, the diamond would not sit so high, and is set relatively low in the head for protection. The fact that the head does sit higher, DH had the head customized in platinum to protect the EC.
Looking at it from above the table, it doesn’t look high, at all.
What do you think? :confused:
05EB2534-8D36-4889-8205-C9F3C09EAF77.jpeg ADF7DE39-2B22-4717-A83F-9C14B345B1E1.jpeg 153FF3FC-1E63-4F4A-ADDA-794E059764A2.jpeg ABF4B631-5C3F-4D30-BB34-D81CD717E5B9.jpeg
Oh yeah that’s high

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yeah that’s high

But the EC isn’t set high in the head. So, to answer the question, which is more accurate? The head sits high, but the diamond is set medium/high; just enough to expose the culet.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like to get under the culet when i clean my ring....and was told mine is set medium...but i feel like its oddly high...maybe i just dont have that much experience with solitaire rings? Thinking of resetting it a bit lower when I get my wedding band...

fellys

Rough_Rock
Premium
I like them low for comfort but do you guys feel that when a stone is set lower, it seems smaller than if it was set higher?

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
“How low can you go...”

For my lifestyle, the lower the better. Plus, being left-handed I’m more likely to whack it on something since I predominantly use that hand.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just don't like any setting that is high or with claws/prongs.
This is high to me due to the depth of the stone, a natural blue Topaz, and it is set as low as possible.
naturalblueasschertopazring_03.jpg
naturalblueasschertopazring_02.jpg
naturalblueasschertopazring_04.jpg

I have three pearl rings (white South Sea, black Tahitian, and Sea of Cortez) that are also high, again, due to the depth of the pearls.
No surprise that I don't wear them that often.

DK :))

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like mine set high enough so that the culet is visible and they can be easily cleaned from the pavilion without removing my ring. Is that high, med-high, or medium?

20171027_135730.jpg

THIS is my favourite setting of all time :love:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So it would seem that my impression that "low" is more popular is confirmed by this totally unscientific poll......but not always...

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So it would seem from the poll, but in actuality height is subjective. ;)2

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So it would seem from the poll, but in actuality height is subjective. ;)2
Agree, but from the informal poll it seems that "subjectively" more folks prefer lower set.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree, but from the informal poll it seems that "subjectively" more folks prefer lower set.
What I meant was, by some of the examples shown, one person’s idea of low might be seem rather high to someone else and all ranges in between. It’s really difficult to define “low.” However we all seem to want it! :lol-2:

JoJa12345

Shiny_Rock
Premium
As low as possible without looking squaty (is that a word). :D

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I had my band and CBI ER set as low as possible by HPD, in U-prongs, so the stones are all naked from both sides, and it is PERFECTION. I am a bit beastly and know that there would be less potential damage to my stones if set low. Some of the rings shown on this thread wouldn't last a week on my hand - I'd likely have lost the stone or broken prongs with a quickness....:oops:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw a setting that look like the Eiffel Tower...
nuts.gif
:bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results