shape
carat
color
clarity

How high do you prefer your diamond be set?

Do you prefer your diamonds to be set high, or close to the finger

• I like my diamond set up high

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • I don't want it high off the finger, but I don't mind if it's a bit off the finger

Votes: 55 42.6%
  • I want my diamond set as low as possible

Votes: 67 51.9%

• Total voters

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Say we're considering engagement rings with a center stone of a carat or more.
I use the term "engagement ring" to narrow it down a bit.
Solitaire, three stone ring or halo.
Or in general- diamond high, or diamond low?
I have been curious about how many people lean in each direction for a while- I'll bet others are curious too.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like mine set high enough so that the culet is visible and they can be easily cleaned from the pavilion without removing my ring. Is that high, med-high, or medium?

20171027_135730.jpg

20180210_150626.jpg

20180323_140835.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like mine set high enough so that the culet is visible and they can be easily cleaned from the pavilion without removing my ring. Is that high, med-high, or medium?

20171027_135730.jpg

20180210_150626.jpg

20180323_140835.jpg

Lovely hardware Cheryl!
I'd say your rings look about medium. No effort to get the stone as low as possible, yet not overly high

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Low, but must have culet visible above shank (as high up as cflutist's first pic.)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2EF31325-EAA8-46DB-ADC4-217384C271FC.jpeg
My baby is set very low and I like it that way. That wasn’t necessarily my intention as I wanted a particular style of antique ring and it was basically “take what you can get”

It doesn’t feel like it’s trying to look bigger than it is. It doesn’t snag on most anything or bump or really feel like I’m wearing anything more than a band.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Low, but must have culet visible above shank (as high up as cflutist's first pic.)
See if can cflutists first pick set high. Not very high but I wouldn’t call it low. Interesting how we seen things different

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Low. REALLY, REALLY LOW!!! If I can feel the culet poking the back of my finger, then it’s almost low enough. :lol:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20180418_170917.jpg My 3.01 F-SI1 pear is set really high. It is a peg head in a reused mounting that previously held a 2.05 D-VS2 oval.
It is annoying when I try to put on rubber gloves to wash dishes. :wall:

I like my HPD CBI rings better.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like all of my rings set low, solitaire, three stone, 5 stone, etc. It's just more comfortable for me that way and also, I live in New England and a lower setting makes it easier to wear gloves when necessary, which is way too often. I also seem to knock them less. But generally, I just like the way they look.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always request for the stones to be set as low as possible, as can be seen on my EC RHR as an example.
ecreset_a.jpg

DK :))

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_6348.JPG

Niel your ring is awesome. I would totally rock that. I do think that the size of the stonenpartially dictates how low is possible. A 3 ct will obviously sit higher off your hand than a half carat in a similar head.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

20171027_135730.jpg

20180210_150626.jpg ]
I love the height of these diamonds. They look high bc they're big and have corresponding big booties. I think these are medium to medium high. Baby got back!:whistle:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it set low. Easy to wear and most pleasing to my eye.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Set it low for me too... I’m uber clumsy and am always afraid of knocking my ring around.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also like as low as possible (without actually touching my finger!) for both practicality and aesthetics.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Took a quick photo. It's as low as Bea can go and not indent my finger.

profilelow.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG-20180331-WA0001.jpg 20180415_111729-1-1.jpg

I guess this would be medium low? Or low low, lol?

I think this is medium low since the culet is above the finger but not too much above the finger from what I can tell in your lovely photo.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Say we're considering engagement rings with a center stone of a carat or more.
I use the term "engagement ring" to narrow it down a bit.
Solitaire, three stone ring or halo.
Or in general- diamond high, or diamond low?
I have been curious about how many people lean in each direction for a while- I'll bet others are curious too.
Would be helpful to have mm ranges of what are considered low, medium and high settings. I consider my stone set low and prefer low settings but I don't know what industry standard would be for low relative to actual depth of the stone.

For example, I have a 5mm deep stone which is set 7mm off the base of the band. So from my finger to table, it's appx 7mm. I would need to find my calipers to take a precise measurement.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
E9C6A8E0-4E47-4191-B5A7-FA0313E8B1F0.jpeg

I preferred having my stone set as low as possible because it is a marquise and I didn’t want to tap the ends on anything

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish my ring was set a little higher. Leon Mege typically sets as low as possible and I think that makes the diamond look smaller. I don't like really high settings, and wouldn't want damage but somewhere between low and medium would be my happy place.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Would be helpful to have mm ranges of what are considered low, medium and high settings. I consider my stone set low and prefer low settings but I don't know what industry standard would be for low relative to actual depth of the stone.

For example, I have a 5mm deep stone which is set 7mm off the base of the band. So from my finger to table, it's appx 7mm. I would need to find my calipers to take a precise measurement.

Really good point- I have not thought about using a caliper to measure exactly how high the table of a given stone is in relation to the finger.
I was basing it on how close the culet is to the finger. I've always judged that by eye.
It does take effort to set stones lower- and as has been said- some makers default setting is low. That does not make them right.
But there does seem to be a preference for lower settings emerging from the poll

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Another thing I think makes a big difference is the type of setting. The diamond should not look too big or too small for the setting based on the empty space. I have seen settings with a ton of empty space where it looks like the stone is too small, but I think the person may have requested the stone set very high.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results