shape
carat
color
clarity

how do you keep your unset stones?

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I keep mine in the gem boxes they came in. A few came wrapped rather than boxed -- those I keep in the original wrappings as well. I've been meaning to place a big order of uniform gem boxes, because having so many different sized boxes is starting to make my OCD self twitch, lol. I also intend to get some better storage at Intergem this year.

I've also started a Google spreadsheet to track all of my gem, DB, and LT purchases.... I created an Excel formula to keep a running total of the money I've spent. Highly recommend this. The only thing I haven't figured out is a good system for saving all vendor photos and comments. I had a file on my computer's desktop.... Then my computer died and I lost all of it. :(sad

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blingbunny10|1359922636|3371333 said:
I keep mine in the gem boxes they came in. A few came wrapped rather than boxed -- those I keep in the original wrappings as well. I've been meaning to place a big order of uniform gem boxes, because having so many different sized boxes is starting to make my OCD self twitch, lol. I also intend to get some better storage at Intergem this year.

This just made me laugh outright. I don't even have an OCD self, but I am SO twitchy about disorganized gems!

I've also started a Google spreadsheet to track all of my gem, DB, and LT purchases.... I created an Excel formula to keep a running total of the money I've spent. Highly recommend this. The only thing I haven't figured out is a good system for saving all vendor photos and comments. I had a file on my computer's desktop.... Then my computer died and I lost all of it. :(sad

I think this is a common practice among those of us who regularly collect. I also highly recommend it as tracking and sorting mechanism, and a way to see collecting patterns (e.g., "wow, didn't know I had so many trillions") and mistakes ('that's the third time I've spent close to $x hundred on a red spinel of good but not great quality. Next time, I will just save up and spend the $ not on three okay stones but one very good one.")

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux said:

I think this is a common practice among those of us who regularly collect. I also highly recommend it as tracking and sorting mechanism, and a way to see collecting patterns (e.g., "wow, didn't know I had so many trillions") and mistakes ('that's the third time I've spent close to $x hundred on a red spinel of good but not great quality. Next time, I will just save up and spend the $ not on three okay stones but one very good one.")

That's a good point re: tracking habits. Do you have separate sections for type, etc., or how do you organize your sheet? I've been fiddling with mine, and it's not yet perfect. I did recently add a separate "carat weight" column and I get a kick out of seeing the total carat weight of all my gemstones calculate at the bottom of the column. ;))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Umm, you know how I just said I'm not OCD? I'd be a bit red faced to admit how many columns of factors I have in mine - lets just say that in order to print on one page, it has to shrunk and have small print, lol.

Some of the categories are things like my assessment of gem quality. Often I find that I might purchase a gem that is considered a very fine example of its type. If I don't love it, then I have to figure out why and by keeping track of my faves, I pretty soon see my patterns. For example, I've been trending towards lighter toned stones over the past few years. Another one might be carat weight. Although most gems have escalating price/carat costs as they get higher in weight (tanzanite might be the exception; am not sure these days), this does not apply to me. I have a sweet spot for various varieties of stones, over which I am no longer interested and certainly would not be willing to pay and escalating price per carat for that additional size. This varies per stone type.

Like all of us, I'm always interested in $/ct to see if and by how much over time gems are going up in price. Specific location is another one (not just country of origin) to see if as I get more of one species/type, I can see particular differences and therefore have a preference for location. I could go on, but you get the point! :bigsmile:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tape a piece of paper with a few basic stats under the gem box which matches up easily with its receipt. This makes the gem ID quick and easy, plus I know the vendor, price, measurement and other such good information. Basic stats include ct weight and gem type.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some are kept in gem boxes and some are kept in my jewelry boxes. The ones I like the most (and want to look at frequently) are at the most risk for damage as they might lay on my dresser or be kept in those gem ring holders for me to admire. And I have been guilty of losing a nice gem more then once. But all in all life is dangerous- for me and my gems.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A caution to those who own and use the gem holders - even spinels can chip if you are not careful. I've nicked a facet junction by accident and I know of at least one other PSer who did the same.

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
I like the boxes that Lebish sends their diamonds in. They are square clear plastic all the way around and measure 1x1x 3/4. They have a white foam pad with no depression in the middle. They don't lock, but the lid is very tight fitting. I can't seem to find anything like it. I'd like to buy a few more for my stones that are still in parcel papers, but I can't seem to find a box like it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the Leibish cases are great for FCDs because they are small but doubt they will be good for larger gemstones. I don't think the lid will close tight for long if one tries to squeeze in a 8 mm deep gemstone. :cheeky:

Tariq wali

Rough_Rock
stone is high doom cut , cant fix in GEM CASE ,
this is a nice home for it

dscf1828.jpg

dscf1829.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I keep mine in round gem jars like LD's and they have held up pretty well. I agree that its easier to open/close the round ones than square ones. I also don't put multiple stones together unless they are matching pairs.

VL,

love your unconventional method of storage! Great way to your stones. :sun:

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I used to use the same round pots that LD and others use, but in black. Last year though I went to the Natural History Museum to oogle their gems and saw a collection that had been left to the museum. The gems were in leather cases, loose apart from thin raised partitions in the fabric and I thought they looked amazing so close together.

So I switched to using these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290494747617;jsessionid=799ADC64AEF086EFFD92EEFB8552226E?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D290494747617%26_rdc%3D1

...and now they look sooo different! :-o

I can fit 90 boxes in the big box that the round ones came in, which is nice as I got annoyed with the big stack I was making! :naughty:

All down to personal preference though I suppose!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results