shape
carat
color
clarity

how do you keep your unset stones?

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
I have had mine loose in a box. a box i admit to taking out with me for the day if I'm out and about and the sun is shining. but i was looking as some under loupe the other day and am seeing some little chips :(

this is the old jewellery box with my garnet peridot and sapphire and a pair of yellow tourmalines

and this is what i currently have rattling around in there from the bottom peridot, garnet, sapphire, spessarite, yellow tourmalines and demantoid garnet.

the second row is a 9mm CZ and an 8mm CZ. i bought while shopping for an engagement ring OEC to convince myself that the size difference wouldn't matter and 8mm would be fine. turns out i love the size of the 9mm. oops.

It's mostly just the peridot that has suffered :(

so how do you store your loose colored stones??

_3433.jpg

contents.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because each gem type have different hardness, brittleness and durability, they should be stored individually in little gem cases. Sometimes, you can store 2 or 3 stones of the same type in a larger gem case. If you like, you can then store the gem cases in a larger box. The way you are currently storing yours allows the harder ones to scratch / chip the softer ones. They are also rolling all over the place, bumping each other and the sides of the box. The gem case allows no movement within the case itself.

The picture below shows how you can store two gems of the same type together. Two spinels (reds, and red and pink) are in the same case. The tsavorite and zircon were only put together for photography purposes but not stored together.

gem_cases.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have found that the most cost effective way to store them - if you are going to have ten plus stones of different species - is to go to gem shows and acquire gem trays that have individual boxes embedded in foam. I have also ordered tons of boxes from various ebay vendors and have generally found that the cheaper the price, the cheaper the product. I bought some of the smallest size plastic boxes from a chinese vendor, where the tops hardly fit on the bottoms, and the glass falls out really easily. :roll: :roll: I have also bought from Rio Grande, which has a ton of supplies (warning: know exactly what you want before looking through their online catalogue!) and their quality is very good.

Please do not put stones of different hardnesses together - as a matter of fact, I don't like to double up even if they are the same stone type! Keep in mind that trays don't fit in safe deposit boxes (unless you have a gigantor box) so you'll need individual boxes if you want to put them away there.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get these storage boxes complete with jars from Ebay. They're really good quality and very low cost. I never have two different stones in a jar (only pairs) so unfortunately the boxes start mounting up! You can get them in black or white and I've found that I prefer the white ones. I think I took this photo when I was transferring the gems from a black to a white box and re-ordering (ie types of gemstones together - I'm a bit OCD like that) so I had a photographic record of how different they look against the background BUT I think I also swapped some gems out/around as there seems to be some inconsistency! No idea what I was doing. :shock:

loose_gemstone_collection1_1_1.jpg

loose_stones_1_1_1.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is good to know. Would you have the name of a reputable vendor on ebay, as there are quality levels of difference as I indicated in my last post. I do believe that if you can find them on ebay, they'll be cheaper than a place like Rio Grande.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and just to add for the OP, those trays of LDs are exactly what I was talking about, and I have the same ones she does. :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you all have a preference for the square or round ones? I find that my white plastic square cases hold up better than the clear round ones. All my clear round ones are cracked and no longer close tight.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono because the small round ones are in the larger box with a perspex lid, they hold up well. I don't think I've ever cracked one. I find the smaller jars easier to open as you twist the off rather than trying to ease the top off the square ones which usually results in me pinging a gemstone across the room!

I know that people recommend using glass top jars but I've never had a gem scratched by one of these containers so I'm happy with them.

Minou - I bought about 20 (!) from a Chinese seller but that was about 5 or more years ago so I can't find them without going through all of my Ebay history. I'll have a quick search and see if I can find similar ones.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1359755554|3369975 said:
Chrono because the small round ones are in the larger box with a perspex lid, they hold up well. I don't think I've ever cracked one. I find the smaller jars easier to open as you twist the off rather than trying to ease the top off the square ones which usually results in me pinging a gemstone across the room!

I know that people recommend using glass top jars but I've never had a gem scratched by one of these containers so I'm happy with them.

Minou - I bought about 20 (!) from a Chinese seller but that was about 5 or more years ago so I can't find them without going through all of my Ebay history. I'll have a quick search and see if I can find similar ones.

This! :lol: :roll:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So OP, if I were you, I'd compare prices with Rio and in case an Intergem happens to be coming up and you happen to be going, compare prices with the vendors there. I *think* mine were less than $20, but not by a lot at Intergem.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
You know - I was JUST wondering about what to do with some of my gems. Thanks OP for reminding me! :D I just ordered this one. I hadn't really checked prices much. But you know how sometimes everything collides? The very moment I was reading the post & thinking about getting a case - the house was quiet and I had the moment to do it then! So hopefully it will turn out OK.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250435433295?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've not had any flying gems once I started opening the gem case upside down. Yes, this is weird but it works, likely because of the flat glass surface and more contact area with the gem (table rather than the culet). Since I store mine in the vault, the large display case is too large to fit plus the round shaped cases roll all over the place without it, but the small square ones stack up well.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
spool cabinet, ebay

starmercer.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Georg Jensen silver dish, ebay

jensenameth.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL,
You are just too cool! That's a great idea, even if it is quite different. ;))

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

drawer1.jpg

drawer2.jpg

drawer3.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
gerstner machinist box, ebay

_3447.jpg

gerstmoon.jpg

gerstjasp.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With spring around the corner, I think it's time to clean your collection up a bit. You've got quite a haul there! :naughty:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No more toys for you, VL!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I wasn't finished. The other 75% of my unset stones are perhaps less glamorously stored.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1359770512|3370170 said:
I've not had any flying gems once I started opening the gem case upside down. Yes, this is weird but it works, likely because of the flat glass surface and more contact area with the gem (table rather than the culet).
That's the safest method in my opinion. I think the reverse of this procedure is the best way to place stones into gem jars as well. Place your *clean* gem jar lid on a surface upside-down and using tweezers set the stone on it table-down. I emphasize *clean* because while the glass or plastic surface is so soft it won't scratch most gems, any silica-based dust on it may -- and most dust is silica. Once the stone is situated where desired, gently position the bottom of the gem jar above the lid and with a straight-down motion press it into the lid until it locks. Any sideways movement will probably move the stone out of the desired placement.

The big problem with really cheap gem jars, especially the plastic ones, is that the lids won't lock securely in place. You don't want a valuable stone to go flying because the gem jar lid falls off as you pick it up. I prefer gem jars with glass lids because the plastic lids scar up and become cloudy after very little use. Just some ideas.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Richard M.|1359823862|3370506 said:
Chrono|1359770512|3370170 said:
I've not had any flying gems once I started opening the gem case upside down. Yes, this is weird but it works, likely because of the flat glass surface and more contact area with the gem (table rather than the culet).
That's the safest method in my opinion. I think the reverse of this procedure is the best way to place stones into gem jars as well. Place your *clean* gem jar lid on a surface upside-down and using tweezers set the stone on it table-down. I emphasize *clean* because while the glass or plastic surface is so soft it won't scratch most gems, any silica-based dust on it may -- and most dust is silica. Once the stone is situated where desired, gently position the bottom of the gem jar above the lid and with a straight-down motion press it into the lid until it locks. Any sideways movement will probably move the stone out of the desired placement.

The big problem with really cheap gem jars, especially the plastic ones, is that the lids won't lock securely in place. You don't want a valuable stone to go flying because the gem jar lid falls off as you pick it up. I prefer gem jars with glass lids because the plastic lids scar up and become cloudy after very little use. Just some ideas.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

This, yes.

Oh, and thanks for the tips on putting a gem away - I'll have to try that.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also open my gem boxes with a sharp knife and gently pry them open - this minimizes flying potential.

VL, I'd love to see your gems better displayed, for our viewing pleasure. :naughty:

Currently my unset stones are all in their various original boxes they came in, loose in a shoe box (which I am very careful with, when moving from point A to point B). I also have a couple of boxes with stones of different species, but they are separated by cotton and don't move around, and I'm careful not to let them touch when placing them in or removing them.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1359723812|3369467 said:
Because each gem type have different hardness, brittleness and durability, they should be stored individually in little gem cases. Sometimes, you can store 2 or 3 stones of the same type in a larger gem case. If you like, you can then store the gem cases in a larger box. The way you are currently storing yours allows the harder ones to scratch / chip the softer ones. They are also rolling all over the place, bumping each other and the sides of the box. The gem case allows no movement within the case itself.

The picture below shows how you can store two gems of the same type together. Two spinels (reds, and red and pink) are in the same case. The tsavorite and zircon were only put together for photography purposes but not stored together.

Chrono, that tsav and zircon are haunting me. I've been thinking of them all day! What a spectacular color combination. I so hope you set them together someday. Maybe a bypass bangle? Yummmm...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom,
The tsavorite is to be paired with a pair of hot pink trilliant Mahenge spinels as soon as I'm able to think up a unique 3 stone ring design. I'm unsure if I will ever set the zircon. I suppose I'm too risk adverse to have it set in a ring as it deserves, for fear of damaging it even though others have not experienced issues with care in the short term.

In terms of storing the gems, I've found the reverse method to work extremely well too. It is very easy to place the stone table down onto the lid, then gently place the case base over the lid. It is almost always well centered and doesn't tilt.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
chrono said:
Rosebloom,
The tsavorite is to be paired with a pair of hot pink trilliant Mahenge spinels as soon as I'm able to think up a unique 3 stone ring design. I'm unsure if I will ever set the zircon. I suppose I'm too risk adverse to have it set in a ring as it deserves, for fear of damaging it even though others have not experienced issues with care in the short term.

In terms of storing the gems, I've found the reverse method to work extremely well too. It is very easy to place the stone table down onto the lid, then gently place the case base over the lid. It is almost always well centered and doesn't tilt.
Well gosh that sounds pretty good too! I love a three stone of all colored stones. And pink and green are pretty delicious.

the-fox

Rough_Rock
Trade
here, that's how i do it:

plexiglas-precious-stones-1.jpg
plexiglas-precious-stones-2.jpg

(By the way, the white squared pieces are Italian marble of different qualities.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results