shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you all determine fair pricing for lab gems?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I just paid $155 for this 7 mm OEC lab emerald. I intend to stick it in a necklace for my baby sister. She’s 12 so I mean, while I do want nice, I don’t want expensive because she’ll probably lose it.

I had looked at what it would cost to have a 7 mm emerald cut by Precision Gem and since it was more, I figured no biggie. But a little more Googling is making me think maybe it’s a little bit high.

And TBF - she doesn’t know what an OEC is, nor do I think she really cares. Wondering if I should keep it or go with a different option.

80CCA8AB-AE79-4070-82B5-3BB0C8611E71.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this topic and I eagerly wait to read replies. I have been thinking this very question and no clue. Prices seem all over the place re lab diamonds at least. I haven't looked into lab gems other than diamonds so cannot say this is true for all gemstones. Very lovely OEC lab emerald. Nice gift for your baby sister. :love:

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Love this topic and I eagerly wait to read replies. I have been thinking this very question and no clue. Prices seem all over the place re lab diamonds at least. I haven't looked into lab gems other than diamonds so cannot say this is true for all gemstones. Very lovely OEC lab emerald. Nice gift for your baby sister. :love:

I’m glad I’m not alone here. One place had lab emeralds in this size for less than $20 each... I need some PS expertise.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
So, that would be about $100 a carat? I think that's in the right ballpark for a well cut stone. Also, wow, you're a nice big sis!

Since it's for a kid and you're worried that she might lose it etc., another option is a CZ, which would definitely be cheaper. Here's one with interchangeable stones:

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
So, that would be about $100 a carat? I think that's in the right ballpark for a well cut stone. Also, wow, you're a nice big sis!

Since it's for a kid and you're worried that she might lose it etc.,, another option is a CZ, which would definitely be cheaper. Here's one with interchangeable stones:

Ok so another question - is this well cut? I mean I like it but I’m on an OEC kick. Also I read that it doesn’t work for all gem materials (or something like that) so not sure if it’s really worth it?

My goal is to replace it with a natural emerald for her (if she wants one) when she’s an adult. So I want the setting to be nice enough quality that I can just swap out the stone.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok so another question - is this well cut? I mean I like it but I’m on an OEC kick.

Can you share more photos? This one is a bit dark to make out the faceting clearly but from what I can see it is pretty. And the color is super pretty.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Can you share more photos? This one is a bit dark to make out the faceting clearly but from what I can see it is pretty. And the color is super pretty.

58054EEA-A46C-48F8-AD30-151F11A6398F.jpeg E3E80CCE-7AC8-461E-A3E0-A92378CBF9F3.jpeg

Unfortunately this is all I have from the vendor. I can 100% post more when it arrives.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@winnietucker it's hard to see the facets in the last 2 pics. I cannot say if it is a good OEC until we get more photos/videos. For the price I think it worth the risk but can you return it if it isn't what you hoped it would be? The first pic you shared does show chunky facets so it has potential.

Also, I am not a colored gem expert but it appears as if there might be windowing based on the last 2 pics? I hate windowing in a stone. Can you check with the vendor? How do you feel about that? And I could be wrong because I cannot tell a lot from the last 2 pics. Maybe a colored gem expert will chime in.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@winnietucker it's hard to see the facets in the last 2 pics. I cannot say if it is a good OEC until we get more photos/videos. For the price I think it worth the risk but can you return it if it isn't what you hoped it would be? The first pic you shared does show chunky facets so it has potential.

Yes, I can return within 14 days if I don’t like it. I’m hoping to get it by the middle of next week. I’ll come back with photos.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I can return within 14 days if I don’t like it. I’m hoping to get it by the middle of next week. I’ll come back with photos.

Great. I will chime in with my thoughts when you share more photos and hopefully it will be a winner and you will love the stone. It's a lovely color.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Oooo, fun topic! This is going to vary based on a couple factors-
-Is the lapidary using high quality rough?
-Are the stones well cut?

While I have not yet purchased any precision cut lab grown colored gemstones, if the answer to both those questions is yes, then mentally I'm okay with $75-125/ct roughly.

Alas, I have zero qualifications to comment on the cut of the stone you purchased, but will be excited to see pictures and hear your thoughts once you receive it!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Oooo, fun topic! This is going to vary based on a couple factors-
-Is the lapidary using high quality rough?
-Are the stones well cut?

While I have not yet purchased any precision cut lab grown colored gemstones, if the answer to both those questions is yes, then mentally I'm okay with $75-125/ct roughly.

Alas, I have zero qualifications to comment on the cut of the stone you purchased, but will be excited to see pictures and hear your thoughts once you receive it!

Ok I’m glad to know that I maybe didn’t overpay! Will post photos as soon as it arrives.

Also does anyone have recommendations for other places I could be lab emeralds? I might buy a few to see what I like best assuming they’re inexpensive or I can return what I don’t want.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Also does anyone have recommendations for other places I could be lab emeralds? I might buy a few to see what I like best assuming they’re inexpensive or I can return what I don’t want.

While not precision cut, I have purchased a pear cut lab ruby from the owner of www.gemsngems.com (I purchased through his ebay store , but his direct website is cheaper, I'm assuming since he doesn't have to pay all the extra fees). Pretty sure you can ask for pictures of the stone before he ships it off.

The ruby color and inclusions were AMAZING (12x8 pear cut) but.... oof, it was a checkerboard pear cut. :sick: Much younger me who purchased it was too timid to ask to rectify the situation.

I'm itching to buy a couple 12x8mm hydrothermal "Columbian" emeralds with inclusions to make in to dangle earring jackets for my new lab diamond studs.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
While not precision cut, I have purchased a pear cut lab ruby from the owner of www.gemsngems.com (I purchased through his ebay store , but his direct website is cheaper, I'm assuming since he doesn't have to pay all the extra fees). Pretty sure you can ask for pictures of the stone before he ships it off.

The ruby color and inclusions were AMAZING (12x8 pear cut) but.... oof, it was a checkerboard pear cut. :sick: Much younger me who purchased it was too timid to ask to rectify the situation.

I'm itching to buy a couple 12x8mm hydrothermal "Columbian" emeralds with inclusions to make in to dangle earring jackets for my new lab diamond studs.

Oh gosh they have a lot.... I’m going to spend some time on there after work lol.

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for posting! The pricing looks very competitive. How would you say the cut is?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Stag and Finch do a nice job with their stones also. I have a lab sapphire done by them that I love. I plan on going right back in a few years for some more to do a pendant. I will say some of their lab material is now split by premium and non premium and it seems like the premium costs more. They also just got some pulled rough in and that price is higher compared to the other rough costs. I have an older rough stone right now but will probably shell out for the pulled when I come back next time IF customers end up liking it and it's available in the colour I want. Otherwise I will go for the tried and true old rough stones since I already know i love them.

I like Scott Laborie as well for pretty and relatively inexpensive lab gems but I haven't seen as much from him on his own instagram page lately so I'm not sure if he's cutting as much lab material right now. He's worth a look though. I have a couple of his stones and love them very much.

As for cost i would say 155 for 7mm is great for a good looking stone lol.

Edit: took out words which may have indicated the wrong rough. I couldve sworn they used flame fusion for the sapphires but I looked backwards and realised i might be wrong.

Last edited:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think for most lab gems the material tends to be inexpensive and you're paying for the cut. so you could totally find a cheaper emerald but it may not be an OEC or the cut won't be as precise etc.

what a sweet gift for your little sister, whether you keep that one or find another. :kiss2:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
In the past I’ve seen lab gems starting at $50/ carat before bargaining. I think definitely below $40/carat (someone said $20-40 in another thread) after bargaining but I don’t know how much lower as I didn’t ask

I think you are mostly paying for the cut for higher priced lab gems as others have said

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really know if what I paid for lab CSs were fair or not at the time of purchase, except for one thing - they were MUCH cheaper than their natural (reads with normal treatment such as heat or oiling) equivalents!

So far I had purchased 2 lab Rubies, a Paraiba-colour YAG, an EC Emerald, and a medium blue Sapphire, all precision cut stones, and they are all beautiful!

DK :))

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I find myself being drawn to lab coloured stones because of the combination of colour and cut. I'm not sure what the right price to pay is but in my mind I'm paying for the artistry in the cutting more so than the material. For example Osiris gems (.com)(European) has some beautifully cut stones. I also want an emerald but my concern with lab emeralds is that the ones I have seen are too clean, which to me makes them look less real. So for the time being I am living vicariously through everyone else's collections.

But also, I think I need DD to show me how to work Instagram because that's where a lot of the lab gems seem to be and I am clueless about how to find them.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I personally like it, and the clean-ness is precisely what makes lab stones a great fit for me, but your lukewarm reaction tells me you should definitely return it.

Yes. Not sure if it’s a mental thing or what, but it’s too clean and too bright IMO. It’s going back tomorrow.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. Not sure if it’s a mental thing or what, but it’s too clean and too bright IMO. It’s going back tomorrow.

If you don't love it at first sight IRL, then it is unlikely to grow on you, IMHO.

DK :))

RubyDuby

Rough_Rock

hi, can you explain what a checkerboard pear cut means? is that something to be avoided?

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
hi, can you explain what a checkerboard pear cut means? is that something to be avoided?

They are not to be avoided particularly, it just was not the cut I wanted.

Example:
Screenshot_20220712-083839_Chrome.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results