shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you all determine fair pricing for lab gems?

Peary

Shiny_Rock
I was quote $500 for a hydrothermal lab created emerald by Jeff White, for an 8.5mm cushion. I decided to go down to 8mm, but the cost is the same because Jeff's minimum is $500 for custom cut.

Precision Gem (Gene) lab stone prices are listed on his website. Ballpark seems to be $125/ct for pulled rough and $85/ct for flame fusion.

I got a flame fusion lab sapphire from Gary at Finewater Gems for about $82/carat, which of course includes precision cutting and shipping.

All of the above are precision cut. The price per carat could be a bit of a misnomer because there's the labor and artistry and design that goes into every finished product.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only had one custom cut lab Emerald from Jeff W and paid his minimum custom price, still to be set. The colour is lovely, very clean stone and the cutting is great as per usual, so I was happy with it.

Gary's prices appeared to be less when he offered similar stones. I bought a few lab gens from him during Covid when there was no gem shows and not able to travel.

Can't remember what I paid for them without trawling through Pay Pal for the transactions, however, I remember they were all very reasonable.

DK :))

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
I got a 10mm asscher emerald from Gary, it was quite pricey but he said that it was unusual for him to have rough that large. (At the time maybe it’s different now). So I took the plunge because I wanted something similar size to my lab diamond and very well cut. Might have been around 1,750 I can’t remember now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results