What should I do?

• Replace just the center stone

• Replace all three centers

• Don't bother

Results are only viewable after voting.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As many of you may know, I've been doing a lot of construction at my house and I guess I shouldn't be baffled by this...BUT...I still am. I managed to crack the center stone in my little baby promise ring. I've worn this ring non-stop for 10 years, and trust me when I say I've rock climbed, I've worked out and I've done all sorts of craziness while wearing this thing with no problems.

But alas, my good luck had to end somewhere...now I've gone and cracked the center stone and one side is definitely chipped! It is a maul store (Zales) ring, and was not very expensive at all. But the ring itself is quite sentimental to me, as DF bought it for me in high school when we were dumb broke kids, so this did take a lot of planning and saving. My DF had bought the 'diamond' warranty on it way back then...but I've definitely not kept up with the 6 month inspections, so I'm not sure it would even be valid anymore.

My question is, where can I get this fixed and how? Should I get all three stones replaced with something nicer - same size, or just replace the one cracked stone? The center stone is so small i don't think it's even .10 ct. so even a nicer stone wouldn't necessarily be worth the money.

I'm posting phone photos of the ring and the crack below. All advice welcomed and THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
20180301_093045.jpg 20180606_093418.jpg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How sad! It amazing how tough diamonds can be...until they are not.

I think I'd replace all three and have the jewellers do any repair/rehab on the setting while they were at it. I'd go to WF for these ACA melee given that it won't be terribly high for such small stones and you'll have little fire-balls.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander @farrahlyn

Thank you for your input! I didn't even think of WF! I was thinking maybe IDJ since they were close to my work...but...well ACA's are ACAs :D.

And a ring Rehab is definitely in order...the bottom of the shank has been worn to about a 1/3 it's original height/girth?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thirding what Rocky says, plus ACA melee are incredible, I have some in one of my rings and they're beautiful.

So sorry this happened to you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly I’d just go to IDJ for this since it’s local. The can access excellent cut melee and that’s all you need in that small size!!! This is a local jeweler job and not something I’d ask WF to do unless I bought the ring from them.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly I’d just go to IDJ for this since it’s local. The can access excellent cut melee and that’s all you need in that small size!!! This is a local jeweler job and not something I’d ask WF to do unless I bought the ring from them.
I agree. Don't forget the shipping costs versus the cost of the melee. You could probably drop it off earlier in the day and fetch it after work or the next day.

We should do an IDJ meet up one day!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Alas, I just heard back from WF anyways - I was told "In terms of loose diamonds, we can only sell our certified stones, which start at about .3ct."

Whomp, I will have to make a run over to Yekutiel at lunch tomorrow. Though I am thinking of upgrading all three stones anyways...as there has always been some unsightly carbon specks on one of the side stones and the Main. Specks which most people would not have seen...but then again I've spent a lot of time examining this ring. (that's what happens with I-1/I-2 Zales stones I guess)

@PintoBean IDJ Meetup sounds fab! I'm in!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
How sad! It amazing how tough diamonds can be...until they are not

It is sad, isn't it? Those diamonds have gone through the process of cutting, bruting, survived the polishing wheel, white hot temperatures.... and things like this can still happen. :(2

I hope your replacement will be even better and last a lifetime!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When you go, be sure to inquire about a new half shank for your ring, that will add many more years of wear and is not that expensive. I suspect, knowing that gold was in the $900 range on this date ten years ago, that you may be surprised at the total cost to repair your ring. Both gold and diamonds are up since then. Still, with a new half shank and diamonds that probably sparkle much more than your original diamonds, it will be money well spent and you will treasure the results.

Wink

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If the shank is worn down to 1/3 and the diamonds are cracked, why not upgrade? I understand it is a sentimental ring, but maybe it's at the end of it's life? ::)

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you Everyone for your kind words...If I think back on it, I think it bumped into my sander. The thing is I was DEFINITELY wearing gloves, I don't walk into my war zone without either taking off my rings or putting on gloves! :cry2: You would think, this little thing survived XX * 10^X amount of pressure and heat for some unknown number of years in the earth's core, it's been cut and ground and polished by jewelers....but it can't survive a little hand sander. :lol::lol: Maybe DF is right...I don't need jewelry insurance I need Metall insurance!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Wink thank you for your advice. I realized that you must have posted while I was still typing and I just got the notification.

Could you let me know what a fair $ per carat is for melees? I've done a bit of reading up on melees and it seems that even on PS melee pricing has been a tiny bit all over the place. I'm reading $25 per stone, to $75 for stone and upwards of $300 in some places.

Also would these still be considered melees? I don't have Calipers to give me an exact measurement...but I'm thinking that the smaller ones are 1.5-2.0 and the center stone is 2.0-2.5. Could someone translate that into ct's? for 2.5 I'm thinking about .10 ct's but I could be totally off. I just want to go into a jeweler armed with some information.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Wink thank you for your advice. I realized that you must have posted while I was still typing and I just got the notification.

Could you let me know what a fair $ per carat is for melees? I've done a bit of reading up on melees and it seems that even on PS melee pricing has been a tiny bit all over the place. I'm reading $25 per stone, to $75 for stone and upwards of $300 in some places.

You are very welcome. As for pricing on melee goods, that would be impossible for me to say and inappropriate as well under forum rules. I can envision melee that would sell for all of the prices that you mention and it would be based on the quality and size of the diamond melee involved. Have a great visit with at least one jeweler, and more if you are not comfortable with the information and the feeling that you have while at the jeweler.

Wink

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just throwing this out as an idea - what about replacing all of the stones but maybe using birthstones? You said that it was a very sentimental ring to you , it might be nice to use birthstones of children or your birthstone/new diamond/DF's birthstone to add to the sentimentality of the piece while having the necessary repairs done. Just a thought - best of luck with the refresh of a special piece of jewelry.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just throwing this out as an idea - what about replacing all of the stones but maybe using birthstones? You said that it was a very sentimental ring to you , it might be nice to use birthstones of children or your birthstone/new diamond/DF's birthstone to add to the sentimentality of the piece while having the necessary repairs done. Just a thought - best of luck with the refresh of a special piece of jewelry.
I love this! We were all just thinking in terms of diamonds. Options options options!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok, so a very super quick update! WF has agreed to help me replace the three center stones!!! I had actually gone locally to a few places and after experiencing some dismissive-ness and being unhappy with my interactions locally, I reached back out to Liza at WF. I explained that I was not outright buying the Melee's that WF would be helping me with some "repair" work. Liza spoke with the service team and they agreed to make an exception and change out the three stones for me! They will not fix the shank, but will tighten/fix any messed up prongs.

I am so so so excited about this development and I can't wait to see this little ring has the potential to look like!

@PintoBean @Octo2005 - My birthstone is pearl/alexandrite/moonstone. DF's birthstone is amethyst. I had thought about going the birthstone route...but...our birthstones make TERRIBLE everyday ring stones. -:lol::lol::lol-2::lol-2: (not to mention an alexandrite in that size would be impossible to find...)

@ringo865 Thank you! I didn't see that - very pretty ring. I am now terrified of what this might cost...but then again, I've been feeling very naked w.o my rhr.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry it didn't work out locally for convenience sake. As you know, WF has wonderful customer service and I'm certain you will be extremely happy with the new center stones. Please post photos when you get your ring back.

Last edited:

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

Just a quick update, I know I've been MIA for quite a bit...mostly because I've been up to the gills in my home reno. Then I caught a wicked summer cold, which was NO fun at all. We are finally at the home stretch so I have been a bit more relaxed and can get back to the fun stuff in life.

I sent my ring to White Flash on June 25th, I finally received my ring back from WF on August 28th (USPS was a MESS and caused a MONTH long delay), and I have glam photos to share! (these were from WF, I can't take good photos for my life) It looks MUCH better than when I sent it in that's for sure and I am super happy with the way the ACA's look in place of the original stones. They also did a FANTASTIC job of cleaning the ring - I am one of those people who are TERRIBLE at cleaning my jewelry, so it's lovely to see it all shiny again!

There is just one teeny tiny minor detail i'm wondering about, i can't tell if it's because I'm so used to the straight set that this ring used to be in, but does it appear that the stone on the right is set further down than the one on the left? I feel like there's maybe half a mm of difference in person but i can't tell if its because they tilted the side stones, whereas the original ring had the three stones straight set. Opinions?

Three-Stone-Diamond-Band-in-14k-White-Gold-from-Whiteflash_52721_41072_a.JPG

Three-Stone-Diamond-Band-in-14k-White-Gold-from-Whiteflash_52721_41072_g.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh lovely! :cool2: And I love the story - it’s a precious piece :kiss2:

I see what you mean re. stone heights - I really think it’s just the angle of the photo though. Maybe have your rep double check it for peace of mind?

I was envisioning a much thinner shank - this one isn’t anywhere near crisis yet! So you can take your time finding an establishment to re-shank it :appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it turned out beautiful! I think as long as the two side stones are set at the same height it should be fine. Compared to your original stones
the side stones look about the same. The center stone may look ever so slightly higher than your original but that may have something to do with
higher crown, smaller table than your original stone. Really just speculation on my part.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@yssie @tyty333 Thank you for your kind words. It's value to me is 100% sentimental at this point and I couldn't be more over the moon with how it turned out. :kiss2::kiss2:

I will have to take a better look when I get home and put this under a macro lens, but I feel like the effect might be more than shown in this photo. I'm loathe to send it back again, I've been hoping it's just the effect of being curved/spiraled.

The shank on this ring was always pretty bulky and used to be quite squared when I first got it. It's actually slimmed down to be quite comfortable to the finger, normal wear and tear has given it the perfect comfort fit to my fingers LOL!! :lol::lol:

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:appl:
So happy everything worked out wonderfully! It looks great, and now you can enjoy it for many years to come.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results