shape
carat
color
clarity

How are you eating during the virus lockdown?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trying to keep weight off is brutal for me recently. Having DH constantly snack on peanut butter in front of me does not help at all.

Two of my friends have gained 11 pounds since March and both are very unhappy about it. I am just happy they haven't gotten sick. One of my husband's friends got COVID and lost 22 pounds. He didn't need to be hospitalized but he got very, very sick. He has a few co-morbidities and is 60 years old so it could have been much worse. He is felling much better now. Interestingly the first time they tested him for COVID he tested negative. Eight days in they tested him again and that's when they got the positive result.

i wish we had a more emphatic 'like button'
its very good your friend's husband is getting better

Reactions: BMI

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reactions: AV_

BMI

Shiny_Rock
One of my husband's friends got COVID and lost 22 pounds. He didn't need to be hospitalized but he got very, very sick. He has a few co-morbidities and is 60 years old so it could have been much worse. He is felling much better now. Interestingly the first time they tested him for COVID he tested negative. Eight days in they tested him again and that's when they got the positive result.

@LisaRN
Thank you so much for posting this! I find it encouraging to hear stories of people who are at higher risk and have come through the illness without needing hospitalization. They give us hope instead of fear, which I think is so important for everyone's mental health right now.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix You can bake with honey and maple syrup, but need to adjust the other liquids in the recipe and to sweetness. You can also try maple sugar or honey crystals and won’t have to adjust your liquids as much, but still adjust for sweetness. Also important to watch for over browning of items-may need to lower heat or have less bake time.

For gluten free flours-you have many options, I always used to use a mixture of several to get a desired affect in a certain recipe when I was just GF. Nut and seed flours, coconut flour, oat flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, white rice flour, brown rice flour, sticky rice flour, amaranth flour, buckwheat flour, psylium husk, etc. Also things like gelatin, arrowroot powder and even dairy free protein powders can be helpful in GF baking.

I am mainly use nut and seed flours currently due to allergies/sensitivities.

For dairy free-you may be able to experiment with sheep or goat dairy vs cow dairy, as they can be less inflammatory for some people. Or there are some nice alternatives with things like artisanal nut ‘cheeses’ that are actually quite tasty.

GF baking is quite simple and there are so many options. Add in dairy free to that and there are still many options. Flourless chocolate tortes are an easy way to start :)

Wow, thank you sooo much, @stepcutnut !! I am gonna cut and paste this post and save it. xx

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix use honey in the nem nuong instead of the sugar!!!!!!

I've heard of others who do that. I just don't because sugar is cheaper and easier to deal with!

Also we have whole suburbs in Sydney where you can go and speak Vietnamese to the person next to you (well 2m now) and they would all be Viet. It's like walking into Vietnam. There is a distinct Viet style and Viet chatter everywhere. You can buy almost any Viet ingredient or cooking utensil.

My son can't eat a burger or fish fingers but will down bun bo hue for three days straight. The kid was born here and his favorite baked good is pandan chiffon cake.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix use honey in the nem nuong instead of the sugar!!!!!!

I've heard of others who do that. I just don't because sugar is cheaper and easier to deal with!

Also we have whole suburbs in Sydney where you can go and speak Vietnamese to the person next to you (well 2m now) and they would all be Viet. It's like walking into Vietnam. There is a distinct Viet style and Viet chatter everywhere. You can buy almost any Viet ingredient or cooking utensil.

My son can't eat a burger or fish fingers but will down bun bo hue for three days straight. The kid was born here and his favorite baked good is pandan chiffon cake.

I will do. Thank you.

I am sooo jealous!! One of my destinations after lockdown is Sydney, if only just to stuff my face with Viet food!!:lol:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very impressed with my milkman and the dairy farm he works for. It is 1:30am and my dairy order just got left on the porch. It is wonderful having fresh eggs and milk from a local farm and the baked goods from local small bakeries is an awesome partnership.

Just got 2 dozen eggs, fresh orange juice, real bagels, heavy cream, and a strawberry almond tart!

ETA: he didn't wake me up! I just happen to still be trying to get comfortable and sleeping in the couch still...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Bacon cheese sirloin burgers with rosemary french fries. I am losing my appetite; just tired of no kitchen freedom. I want to eat out....forever!!

cheers--Sharon

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Panera should be ringing the doorbell any minute. I love them and want to support the store.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gary went to the chemist today to pick up a repeat
i said come straight home we dont need anything ..... but the little 4 square supermarket is practically next door ...

he did get milk and seedy bread

and 2 pink iced and creamed buns
2 large bags of chips
2 bags of lollies
3 boxes of those instant mocachinos he likes and 3 bottles of water because he won't drink tap water
no cat food
but 2 ugly over priced tins of savory mince i wouldn't even eat camping but he assures me they taste great ....

Last edited:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of the things I have made since lockdown:
Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Lemon Icing (yummy)
Lemon condensed milk pie (soooo good)
Crablegs
Homemade scalloped potatoes
Beef and Pepper Stir Fry
Taco Salad
Queso Soup
Chicken Alfredo

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So my mom had food dropped off yesterday but she doesn’t know who sent it. I told her if she can’t figure it out she probably shouldn’t eat it. Thoughts?

CD57D92D-C721-4F08-8B60-A3B11700B783.jpeg

F73773A2-CBAD-4A12-AA9A-419E7F6EAF3C.jpeg

She spoke with her neighbors but they didn’t send it. And there’s no name or phone number. Just a typed sheet listing what’s there. Weird. And probably very nice. But with no name it’s risky. IMO.

She also had beautiful flowers arrive at the same time. Different person.

5BF2C8A5-263A-43B6-B2F7-0202D7E54247.jpeg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy We've had a ton of this happen in our community - its because all the deliveries are contact-less now, so uber eats or whoever doesnt even bother to check if they delivered to the right house! They just drop and go. It's probably fine to eat, and whoever actually ordered it will likely get a free replacement meal from the delivery service.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy We've had a ton of this happen in our community - its because all the deliveries are contact-less now, so uber eats or whoever doesnt even bother to check if they delivered to the right house! They just drop and go. It's probably fine to eat, and whoever actually ordered it will likely get a free replacement meal from the delivery service.

Thanks @telephone89. I told my mom to call all her neighbors but she only called those she is friendly with so that is probably what happened. I feel bad that someone missed their order and I do hope they got a free replacement. It's weird that there was no bill or order info attached.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am just out & Elder flowering is over, so lemon will do.

What about what the French call "Acacia", which are faux Acacia (Robinia pseudo Acacia)?

Just made my first batch and fried some " Beignets" as well

Heaven!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Take out. YES!

cheers--Sharon

Reactions: AV_

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This happened to me! We finally had fast food delivered via Grubhub and I got an email saying they delivered. They did not! I called the restaurant and they said the guy picked up the food 10 min ago, they can't help me I'll have to contact Grubhub. I called them and they can't even get in touch with the driver (so they say) to ask whatever he did with our order. I just assumed he dropped it off in front of someone's house and since it's contact less no one would know. I also thought this must happen a lot since food is getting dropped off without anyone receiving it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This happened to me! We finally had fast food delivered via Grubhub and I got an email saying they delivered. They did not! I called the restaurant and they said the guy picked up the food 10 min ago, they can't help me I'll have to contact Grubhub. I called them and they can't even get in touch with the driver (so they say) to ask whatever he did with our order. I just assumed he dropped it off in front of someone's house and since it's contact less no one would know. I also thought this must happen a lot since food is getting dropped off without anyone receiving it.

are you getting your money back ?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a weird policy, but one driver pointed out - they can’t take a delivery back, even if it’s at the wrong house. Would you really trust a delivery to someone else’s house, left for X Amt time, picked up, re delivered
Sounds way worse.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So my mom had food dropped off yesterday but she doesn’t know who sent it. I told her if she can’t figure it out she probably shouldn’t eat it. Thoughts?

CD57D92D-C721-4F08-8B60-A3B11700B783.jpeg

F73773A2-CBAD-4A12-AA9A-419E7F6EAF3C.jpeg

She spoke with her neighbors but they didn’t send it. And there’s no name or phone number. Just a typed sheet listing what’s there. Weird. And probably very nice. But with no name it’s risky. IMO.

She also had beautiful flowers arrive at the same time. Different person.

5BF2C8A5-263A-43B6-B2F7-0202D7E54247.jpeg

Any hint what restaurant it is from? If so, maybe call and confirm who picked it up. If it was a delivery accidentally at wrong house, I would probably eat it (assuming prompt finding do not left sitting).
Another idea is that some churches and synagogues are bringing meals to older members. If they are associated with any place, might check there to see if it was left for them.

I would be nervous eating something I couldn't track down. I know it is very unlikely, but the slim chance of someone taking advantage of the virus to make people sick would keep me not quite able to trust.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just made an iced spiced chai with heavy cream. Yum!! (Dr ordered me to eat lots of dairy for the next week...)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
What about what the French call "Acacia", which are faux Acacia (Robinia pseudo Acacia)?

Just made my first batch and fried some " Beignets" as well

Heaven!

I am not sure there is one around, else, there would be acacia pancakes! Neither pseudoacacia not edel do well where I am; last year I did take day trips to get to them - not this year. I am in a semi-desert mountain area of Spain, which is now in full bloom - after an unusually long round of rain, a full month longer than usual, but the species on the groud have ot changed... The figs will start in a couple of weeks & even now, their green fruit are tempting to sugar [nts.]

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results