shape
carat
color
clarity

How are you eating during the virus lockdown?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@Asscherhalo_lover my Grandma used to make something similar to this with left over ham, this is not her recipe, but it seems like it would be similar.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@missy I love ice cream! Do you have a favorite brand and flavor?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
This weekends desserts were vanilla pound cake with salted caramel glaze and a mint pie topped with dark chocolate shavings and a dark chocolate crumble crust. Both were sugar free, grain free and made with duck eggs.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This weekends desserts were vanilla pound cake with salted caramel glaze and a mint pie topped with dark chocolate shavings and a dark chocolate crumble crust. Both were sugar free, grain free and made with duck eggs.

How?!

Do you have the recipes please?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I love ice cream! Do you have a favorite brand and flavor?

If I could eat dairy and gluten my favorite ice cream hands down is Ben and Jerry's and the flavor is Heath Bar Crunch. OMG delicious. Since I have been dairy free my favorite is from the shore at a small ice cream shoppe in Asbury Park. The owner makes his own ice cream and it is vegan and gluten free and just amazing. Store bought brand I recently found that is yummy (and that isn't easy to do with my restrictions) is called Arctic Zero. I am fortunate that it is sold at our local supermarket in Brooklyn. However we are heading to the shore in a week or 2 (probably) so I won't have my store bought ice cream there. And I am unsure if it is going to be safe to go to the Asbury park ice cream shoppe anytime soon though the owner is in touch with us (we are his favorite customers due to our daily consumption of his ice cream at the shoppe when we are at the shore lol and in fact he gave us the key to his ice cream shoppe last summer) and he is open. I just am hesitant to go there right now but we shall see. Greg is quite eager and I hate to disappoint him. Sorry for the long winded post when you asked a simple question. It's just I take ice cream very seriously. :lickout: :lol:

icecream8k.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@missy ice cream is a favorite of mine! My grandpa used to make the most fabulous vanilla ice cream I have ever tasted, miss him and it :) Have you tried the dairy free Halo Top brand? I can no longer eat coconut, but it used to be pretty good.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@Phoenix I mostly make up my own recipes. Are you avoiding dairy as well as gluten? I use alternative sweeteners-monk fruit, erythritol and stevia leaf- all three are naturally occurring. Different sweetners for different uses-I make my own sugar free chocolates and certain ones will make the chocolate seize up.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix I mostly make up my own recipes. Are you avoiding dairy as well as gluten? I use alternative sweeteners-monk fruit, erythritol and stevia leaf- all three are naturally occurring. Different sweetners for different uses-I make my own sugar free chocolates and certain ones will make the chocolate seize up.

@stepcutnut , I am, yes. I try to avoid dairy, gluten and sugar. I'm not badly allergic but in the long run, they give me inflammation which in turn gives me joint pain, as well sinus issues. I use honey and maple syrup instead of processed sugar. Do you think I can bake with either honey or maple syrup? When you say grain free, what do you use, or do you not use any kind of flour? Good point about duck eggs!

(Trying to google flour free and sugar free cake and cookie recipes. Have never tried them though).

Last edited:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I could eat dairy and gluten my favorite ice cream hands down is Ben and Jerry's and the flavor is Heath Bar Crunch. OMG delicious. Since I have been dairy free my favorite is from the shore at a small ice cream shoppe in Asbury Park. The owner makes his own ice cream and it is vegan and gluten free and just amazing. Store bought brand I recently found that is yummy (and that isn't easy to do with my restrictions) is called Arctic Zero. I am fortunate that it is sold at our local supermarket in Brooklyn. However we are heading to the shore in a week or 2 (probably) so I won't have my store bought ice cream there. And I am unsure if it is going to be safe to go to the Asbury park ice cream shoppe anytime soon though the owner is in touch with us (we are his favorite customers due to our daily consumption of his ice cream at the shoppe when we are at the shore lol and in fact he gave us the key to his ice cream shoppe last summer) and he is open. I just am hesitant to go there right now but we shall see. Greg is quite eager and I hate to disappoint him. Sorry for the long winded post when you asked a simple question. It's just I take ice cream very seriously. :lickout: :lol:

icecream8k.png

@missy, Artic Zero is HUGELY overpriced here!

hedgehog93

Rough_Rock
By eating more and exercising less I’ve lost 3kg of weight from my 55kg frame but it’s all good muscle :(sad

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a solution to no dish washer and still needing to eat. Take out from my all time favorite Mediterranean restaurant! I may have ordered enough for about four lunches and dinners...

Chicken schwarma, beef schwarma, kafta kebab, humus, and salad. Plus pita, lentil soup, and saffron rice.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found a solution to no dish washer and still needing to eat. Take out from my all time favorite Mediterranean restaurant! I may have ordered enough for about four lunches and dinners...

Chicken schwarma, beef schwarma, kafta kebab, humus, and salad. Plus pita, lentil soup, and saffron rice.

im like a 12 year old
i hate loading and unloading the dishwasher :doh:

Reactions: caf

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
:mrgreen2:@mellowyellogirl awsome piping ! :appl:
i am more a rustic kind of cook - one step up from Wilma Flintstone

@missy i knew you were going to have the Asbury park icecream as your favourite :kiss2:

did i tell you gals Melanie sent us a meat box ! :appl:from an actual butcher:appl:
Gary rung to thank her and she was at Wallington hospitals having her chemo:(2
the meat is excellent quality, much better than what i buy from the super market and bigger packs, when im working again i might get one on a regular basis
so tonight we had steak, hastleback baked potatoes- or what ever you call them - hedgehogs maybe ? A sesame honey carrot for Gary and apple slaw plus i did a chicken with the spuds to have the next couple of days as soup, pizza and sandwhiches
i even got unusually organized and got a cinnamon tea cake into the oven as the chicken and spuds came out
i did scrap a bit of that butter off 20200505_200806.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha @Daisys and Diamonds my butter is about another 2mm thicker than yours! I love Hot Cross Buns simply because they are a VESSEL for butter.

A few years ago I went through this silly phase where I tried to bake everything with butter because I loved the flavour. I have since calmed down and realised everything has it's place. And that you can only use oil for a chiffon cake.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha @Daisys and Diamonds my butter is about another 2mm thicker than yours! I love Hot Cross Buns simply because they are a VESSEL for butter.

A few years ago I went through this silly phase where I tried to bake everything with butter because I loved the flavour. I have since calmed down and realised everything has it's place. And that you can but use oil for a chiffon cake.

:appl::lickout::mrgreen2:
you know here in a lot of regions we need rain and the farmers desperatly need warm wet conditions to get some Autumn grass growth going on before winter
they have had to have been feeeing out and our butter has all turned very pale because the cows arn't eatting enough grass
another reason to despise the entire palm kernal industry :angryfire:

i love how Americans love their butter
i make these banana pancakes (this morning for breakfast actually) they start off so simple and healthy with only a few ingredients- then you dump a whole lotta butter in the pan to cook them
ive tried oil and ive tried just the nonstick pan ... :(2 but i brought a new pack of butter so i used butter today and boy oh boy what a difference :lickout:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bo Bia

Summer rolls with Chinese sausage, egg, jicama and herbs. I add noodles to mine too fill the boys up.

IMG_20200505_182930.jpg

its too bad your parents (or grandparents?) didnt immigrate to NZ not Australia
everything looks soooooo yummy
but saddly avo on toast is also a thing here regarding house prices and mellenials

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trying to keep weight off is brutal for me recently. Having DH constantly snack on peanut butter in front of me does not help at all.

Two of my friends have gained 11 pounds since March and both are very unhappy about it. I am just happy they haven't gotten sick. One of my husband's friends got COVID and lost 22 pounds. He didn't need to be hospitalized but he got very, very sick. He has a few co-morbidities and is 60 years old so it could have been much worse. He is felling much better now. Interestingly the first time they tested him for COVID he tested negative. Eight days in they tested him again and that's when they got the positive result.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry to hear about your friends husband @LisaRN that is brutal! I've lost a total of 7lbs though not for lack of food, just the anxiety portion.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I ordered my first take out in over 2 months. My husband has been asking for weeks now but I always said no I don't feel comfortable doing it, but we were spending the whole weekend in our backyard with the kids and they wanted to have pizza on their picnic table. So I finally gave in and ordered Dominos (our favorite local place was closed!) and it was awesome. We did the contactless delivery and I still wiped down the box & soda bottles with Lysol wipes, but it was nice to do something "normal" for a change. To be honest I'm getting sick of homemade food plus constantly worrying about how to get groceries next week...

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@stepcutnut , I am, yes. I try to avoid dairy, gluten and sugar. I'm not badly allergic but in the long run, they give me inflammation which in turn gives me joint pain, as well sinus issues. I use honey and maple syrup instead of processed sugar. Do you think I can bake with either honey or maple syrup? When you say grain free, what do you use, or do you not use any kind of flour? Good point about duck eggs!

(Trying to google flour free and sugar free cake and cookie recipes. Have never tried them though).

@Phoenix You can bake with honey and maple syrup, but need to adjust the other liquids in the recipe and to sweetness. You can also try maple sugar or honey crystals and won’t have to adjust your liquids as much, but still adjust for sweetness. Also important to watch for over browning of items-may need to lower heat or have less bake time.

For gluten free flours-you have many options, I always used to use a mixture of several to get a desired affect in a certain recipe when I was just GF. Nut and seed flours, coconut flour, oat flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, white rice flour, brown rice flour, sticky rice flour, amaranth flour, buckwheat flour, psylium husk, etc. Also things like gelatin, arrowroot powder and even dairy free protein powders can be helpful in GF baking.

I am mainly use nut and seed flours currently due to allergies/sensitivities.

For dairy free-you may be able to experiment with sheep or goat dairy vs cow dairy, as they can be less inflammatory for some people. Or there are some nice alternatives with things like artisanal nut ‘cheeses’ that are actually quite tasty.

GF baking is quite simple and there are so many options. Add in dairy free to that and there are still many options. Flourless chocolate tortes are an easy way to start :)

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was getting sick of the same veggies for the last two weeks, so I made a trip to the farmers market on Sunday. I was rewarded with some beautiful snap peas, green beans, Romano beans, broccolini, and amaranth.

Excited to make some Romano beans with shallots and smoked pancetta tonight!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Pork backribs and coconut basmati rice. Kale salad. Pretty boring. lol

We have a splendid Vietnamese restaurant close by and will get some take out this week. Craving it!! I am sick of eating my own cooking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results