shape
carat
color
clarity

How are you eating during the virus lockdown?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG!! I love this too.

We MUST become BFF's! lol

We are foodie soulmates!!!!!

I mean you like creme caramel!!!! I'm still not over that by the way!

I was thinking the other day it's lucky you are Viet and gluten free. Still a plethora of savoury food left to eat!!!!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are foodie soulmates!!!!!

I mean you like creme caramel!!!! I'm still not over that by the way!

I was thinking the other day it's lucky you are Viet and gluten free. Still a plethora of savoury food left to eat!!!!!

We are indeed. I LOVE food. I'm one of those people that live to eat (ad not eat to live) and I suspect you are too.

I love creme caramel. My mum used to make it.

Yeah, lucky that. Imagine if my staple were pasta or bread?!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
What is garlic knot sauce?! I need this in my life!

It's really easy....parsley, garlic, salt and olive oil. I usually buy a bunch of parsley (flat leaf is preferable, but either will work), trim the base of the stems and throw into a food processor. Add a peeled head of garlic, a teaspoon of kosher salt, and about 4 oz of GOOD olive oil. Whiz it up and put it into a wide-mouthed container (I use a tupperware style container). Add another 4 oz of olive oil to the container and adjust salt as desired.

You now have a very flavorful parsley garlic oil that can be used on all sorts of things, baked potatoes, roasted/grilled veggies, burgers, garlic knots, tacos, etc. I use some of the oil and some of the base for garlic knots and pizza crust. If the oil runs low, I just add more to the base. When the base runs low, I make another batch. The oil will firm up in the fridge, but will liquefy again at room temperature.

I have a great recipe for the dough I use to make pizza and the knots too.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sometimes make a parley+garlic-in-oil mixture -- yummy!-- but always use it up the same day or, if refrigerated, the next day, as there is a risk of botulism when fresh garlic is submerged in oil.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/stinking_facts_about_garlic

"Garlic in oil is very popular, but homemade garlic in oil can cause botulism if not handled correctly. Unrefrigerated garlic-in-oil mixes can foster the growth of clostridium botulinum bacteria, which produces poisons that do not affect the taste or smell of the oil. Spores of this bacteria are commonly found in soil and can be on produce such as garlic. It is virtually impossible to eliminate all traces of miniscule soil particles on garlic heads. These botulinum spores found in soil are harmless when there is oxygen present. But when spore-containing garlic is bottled and covered with oil, an oxygen-free environment is created that promotes the germination of the spores and produces a toxin that can occur at 50 degrees Fahrenheit or above.

"Botulism is a potentially fatal food poisoning that has symptoms including blurred or double vision, speech and difficulty in breathing and progressive paralysis. Without prompt and correct treatment, one-third of those diagnosed with botulism may die.

"To reduce this risk of botulism, the garlic in oil mixture should be refrigerated and used within two to three days. Garlic-in-oil should always be discarded after two hours at room temperature, even if salt and acids are present. Commercially prepared oils have added acids and other chemicals to eliminate the risk of botulism, but still must be handled carefully and correctly."

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I sometimes make a parley+garlic-in-oil mixture -- yummy!-- but always use it up the same day or, if refrigerated, the next day, as there is a risk of botulism when fresh garlic is submerged in oil.

"Garlic in oil is very popular, but homemade garlic in oil can cause botulism if not handled correctly. Unrefrigerated garlic-in-oil mixes can foster the growth of clostridium botulinum bacteria, which produces poisons that do not affect the taste or smell of the oil. Spores of this bacteria are commonly found in soil and can be on produce such as garlic. It is virtually impossible to eliminate all traces of miniscule soil particles on garlic heads. These botulinum spores found in soil are harmless when there is oxygen present. But when spore-containing garlic is bottled and covered with oil, an oxygen-free environment is created that promotes the germination of the spores and produces a toxin that can occur at 50 degrees Fahrenheit or above.

"Botulism is a potentially fatal food poisoning that has symptoms including blurred or double vision, speech and difficulty in breathing and progressive paralysis. Without prompt and correct treatment, one-third of those diagnosed with botulism may die.

"To reduce this risk of botulism, the garlic in oil mixture should be refrigerated and used within two to three days. Garlic-in-oil should always be discarded after two hours at room temperature, even if salt and acids are present. Commercially prepared oils have added acids and other chemicals to eliminate the risk of botulism, but still must be handled carefully and correctly."

This may be true, but it has NOT been my experience. My Italian grandmother would process pounds of garlic and put them in jars covered in olive oil and keep them in the fridge to use in recipes quickly. My mother and sister do this, and I've been doing it for over 30 years. So we're talking 60-70 years of processing garlic and storing in oil with not even one single problem. The trick is never introduce used utensils to the container, and make sure the container is completely dry and clean. I suppose those with no common sense might have an issue....

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My own mother used to make a giardiniera of eggplant, celery and garlic in olive oil when I was young, and she stored it in sterilized canning jars.

The per cent of people who actually contract botulism from eating garlic in oil is low, but the risk is real. Commercial preparations are now required to contain an acidifying agent. The spores are (potentially) on the garlic itself and using sterile jars and clean utensils doesn't change that. I consider myself to have enough common sense but that doesn't eliminate spores, either. :)

Another article, and then I'll desist-- people can decide for themselves if storing it in the fridge beyond a few days is a good idea for them.

Last edited:

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
....But when spore-containing garlic is bottled and covered with oil, an oxygen-free environment is created that promotes the germination of the spores and produces a toxin that can occur at 50 degrees Fahrenheit or above....

And here is the key to making your argument moot. I don't know about your refrigerator, but mine stays at 38 degrees. As such, and in addition to using sterilized jars and non-contamination practices, there is virtually no danger of botulism.

Now back to seeing others' good food creations....

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bacteria continue to multiply under refrigeration. Even at 38º. Just slower.
So, not moot, but by all means do as you think best, as I will do also, and as we all must do.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Here's an idea: cook the garlic in the oil before combining with other ingredients. No risk of botulism then.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's an idea: cook the garlic in the oil before combining with other ingredients. No risk of botulism then.

That works.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Nah, I'll keep doing what my family and hundreds of thousands of others around the world have been doing for generations. There will always be those among us that enjoy having things to fear. I'm not one of them, especially of tried and true methods.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...There will always be those among us that enjoy having things to fear....

Enjoy? Really?
I just think that while we are all trying to avoid the coronavirus, it might also be good to avoid botulism.
But carry on.

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
@Yelena I am glad you discovered the farmers market and are able to get fresh produce now. I love fresh produce and hope we can continue being able to purchase it.

I too am gaining weight due to the inactivity. Walking a bit a few times a week isn't my normal level of activity and working out as I normally do at home isn't sufficient as that used to be just part of my daily activity. But I am accepting what happens and hopefully when things return to pre covid 19 conditions (whenever that might be) we will get back to where we were condition wise too.

At this moment I am dealing with a wicked stiff neck/back and I think I injured myself when I took my boots off last week (8 days ago) but I think I was vulnerable because of my reduced activity level. I am just not great at being home and still so much of the day and it is not agreeing with me.

Pain level increasing each day so not sure what I am doing wrong. #heatingpadhelps #alittle

@missy Oh no, that sounds awful. I am hearing you re the musculoskeletal problems. I have had terrible neck and shoulder pain, exacerbated by the fact that I haven’t been doing my regular clinical Pilates sessions, stress and the fact that I have still been working sitting behind a desk (even if it is at home). I do recognise the complete good fortune I have had though, compared to other people in the world (and even here in Australia). I know that I am lucky that my job continues on even in this crisis time and I am managing better since I forced myself to do my mat exercises at least twice a day. Still, it would be nice to go to a heated pool and do some exercise there as well. I also hear you on the heating pad. I start my work day (after my exercises) with a wheat bag ’warm up’ of my neck and shoulder. I hope my reply finds you in less pain :)

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
oh i feel sad you havn't been able to get much fruit
are you in NZ or 'Oz ?
i thought the harvest was going ok here anyway
our little 4 square had a better produced selection than nornal just a little on the expensive side (normal for them)

@Daisies yes I am in Australia. We do still have fruit, just not quite in the same volume, variety and quality as before. Part of my issue is that I am a bit picky. I don’t like Red Delicious apples because they are too sweet, I only eat my pears hard and green because they’re too sweet, I refuse to pay more than about $5 for a punnet of berries and the prices have gone up. That’s ok though, because you can live without fruit, although it does make life tastier. I think they are having trouble getting fruit picked because normally it would be done by an army of backpackers, but most of them have gone home or are stuck in capital cities.

Yelena

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for this information. I didn’t know this. I only ever make up garlic and a oil mixtures and use them up that day (or refrigerate for a day) mainly because I love the fresh taste. I find it unbeatable.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yes, steamed fish has been featured before, but this version uses Sichuan peppercorns, dried chili for a numbing and hot flavor. My parents fished these bass from a nearby lake.
IMG_20200426_224849.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, steamed fish has been featured before, but this version uses Sichuan peppercorns, dried chili for a numbing and hot flavor. My parents fished these bass from a nearby lake.
IMG_20200426_224849.jpg

That's gorgeous :lickout::lickout::lickout:

Keep posting!!!!! I'm sure I've posted multiple versions of my own food :bigsmile:

voce

Ideal_Rock
That's gorgeous :lickout::lickout::lickout:

Keep posting!!!!! I'm sure I've posted multiple versions of my own food :bigsmile:

Thanks, that's a compliment coming from you. Most days I don't cook. I think you're a far better cook since you can bake and make yummy Viet food from scratch. :cheeky:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_20200426_224849.jpg

How awesome that your parents caught that! My dad loves steamed fish. I think it’s his favorite food and if it’s the only dish he could have, he’d be happy. The apple fell far from the tree - I don’t know how to eat around the bones! As soon as I feel one in my mouth, I just spit everything out.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisies yes I am in Australia. We do still have fruit, just not quite in the same volume, variety and quality as before. Part of my issue is that I am a bit picky. I don’t like Red Delicious apples because they are too sweet, I only eat my pears hard and green because they’re too sweet, I refuse to pay more than about $5 for a punnet of berries and the prices have gone up. That’s ok though, because you can live without fruit, although it does make life tastier. I think they are having trouble getting fruit picked because normally it would be done by an army of backpackers, but most of them have gone home or are stuck in capital cities.

oh its terrible to think of fruit going to waste because there is no one to pick it
i think here, they are using laied off workers from others sectors
im picky with fruit too and i looooove fruit
once im working again im having a huge fruit pig out !

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s spam in this food thread!

02D6AD15-FEED-4B0E-800F-85A1CA404123.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Oh no, that sounds awful. I am hearing you re the musculoskeletal problems. I have had terrible neck and shoulder pain, exacerbated by the fact that I haven’t been doing my regular clinical Pilates sessions, stress and the fact that I have still been working sitting behind a desk (even if it is at home). I do recognise the complete good fortune I have had though, compared to other people in the world (and even here in Australia). I know that I am lucky that my job continues on even in this crisis time and I am managing better since I forced myself to do my mat exercises at least twice a day. Still, it would be nice to go to a heated pool and do some exercise there as well. I also hear you on the heating pad. I start my work day (after my exercises) with a wheat bag ’warm up’ of my neck and shoulder. I hope my reply finds you in less pain :)

Thank you @Yelena I am feeling better though still not quite right. But at least I am not in constant discomfort as I was for the past 10 days so that is a relief. I am sorry you have had terrible neck and shoulder pain too and I am hoping you are feeling much better. I am glad you can continue your mat exercises. I am still doing my elliptical workout and when I can my Pilates workout but my lifting free weights workout is suffering right now. A heated pool sounds so lovely right now and I hope you can get to one soon. Thank you for all your well wishes and same to you. We are all taking it just one day at a time. I appreciate your lovely post, thank you.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Here's my homemade vegan Roast Beaf, served with botulism-infested garlic mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables. ;)2

Roast Beaf.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results