shape
carat
color
clarity

How are you coping with isolation?

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Our 14 day quarantine starts today and we will be doing some creative menu planning since our staple foods are sold out. I think it will be fun to try to make an edible meal out of what we have available. Maybe you could dedicate a few days or a week to learning new cuisines. Travel around the world through delicious meals.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our 14 day quarantine starts today and we will be doing some creative menu planning since our staple foods are sold out. I think it will be fun to try to make an edible meal out of what we have available. Maybe you could dedicate a few days or a week to learning new cuisines. Travel around the world through delicious meals.

Im sure it would be good for us all to follow your culinary journey
please keep us updated
how is your herb and spice rack ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Second Christmas and Coloring!

IMG_7849.JPG

IMG_7871.JPG

IMG_7841.JPG

i love this :kiss2: i love that dad is colouring too

hopefully many years from now your kids will look back with some hapoy memories of this time
my dad was a wee boy during the polio epidemic when schools were shut and i guess kids were shielded from some of the fear - him and his 7 siblings did school work in grandad's glass house

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds, dad is the one who actually started and then the kids followed!

That was a scary time with Polio I'm sure, glad your dad remembers the good things ina time of crisis. Also seven siblings....wow! I find trying to keep two from killing each other to be my second job.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds, dad is the one who actually started and then the kids followed!

That was a scary time with Polio I'm sure, glad your dad remembers the good things ina time of crisis. Also seven siblings....wow! I find trying to keep two from killing each other to be my second job.

i don't know how our grandparents did it ?
i guess they had no option ( the pill was a generation away)
but they had big vege gardens and the kids had to help
my grandma made a lot of puddings to fill everyone up
my dad shared a bedroom with his two brothers and a golden retriever.
things were far from perfect because grandad was an alcoholic but everyone was clean and fed and went to high school and got good jobs afterwards
grandma died when dad was still 15 and just going out with mum
mum used to say she can remenber grandma sitting at an empty table surrounded by a mountain of dishes

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We cleaned the house today. Haha. I'm still on maternity leave so I haven't been leaving my house much anyways. I'm hoping my daughter's school provides some online assignments. Her school is closed for a month. We are hoping to get some walks in but it is still very cold where I live. My daughter is looking forward to baking. We will play LOTS of games and luckily we have so many streaming services.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking about my grandparents today, about how easily they would have been able to handle some of the things we're facing today. My grandma and grandpa lived on an island on a lake, with their own generator, and huge vegetable garden. Plus they foraged as they were surrounded by forest. They even had an outdoor loo in case the indoor one got messed up.

My baba had a farm and a garden, so they had everything. They also had goats and dairy cows. I think they had electricity, but not indoor plumbing until much later. And of course all my grandparents made it through the 1918 flu pandemic and the Great Depression.

Gosh, don't our kids have things so different today though. Crazy amount of progress during my lifetime.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I cleaned up the pantry, the master closet, installed shelving and cleaned the laundry room. I still need to get a gutter extension added to the front and work on the nursery clothing. My mother was over helping with the kids but she has gone back home to help my sister which has me worried about them taking public transportation, my husband will be working from home so I’m just not sure how I will handle a breastfeeding newborn and a toddler with cabin fever!

We are even considering purchasing an indoor play gym for her to get out some of her energy

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being home more, I'm cooking even more soups and baking bread.

I find it to be a relaxing and productive way to spend time.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

We have 7 loads of sourdough bread in our freezer! My husband bakes 2 every weekend and while it’s delicious I just don’t really eat bread like crazy

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PUBLIC HEALTH WARNING

Do not watch "The Great British Baking Show" when you are hangry and bored.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Kiddo is out of school for three weeks and my work closed with all required to work from home. I am hoping to have a job once this is all over. Our company is promotional products, so not a necessity at all.

I am wondering if I will have a job as well! I work for a relocation company, lots of rescheduling from what I hear

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was thinking about my grandparents today, about how easily they would have been able to handle some of the things we're facing today. My grandma and grandpa lived on an island on a lake, with their own generator, and huge vegetable garden. Plus they foraged as they were surrounded by forest. They even had an outdoor loo in case the indoor one got messed up.

My baba had a farm and a garden, so they had everything. They also had goats and dairy cows. I think they had electricity, but not indoor plumbing until much later. And of course all my grandparents made it through the 1918 flu pandemic and the Great Depression.

Gosh, don't our kids have things so different today though. Crazy amount of progress during my lifetime.

That sounds like such a great life!

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think new Yorkers are practicing isolation/ social distancing. I went for a walk in prospect park and there were thousands of people. Most people live in tiny apartments, in buildings with dozens of other apartments. Luckily we moved to a bigger place last October with a washer and dryer but it's still about the size of a hotel room.

There's 4 of us and I'm already going crazy on weekends. I think I will be really sick and lethargic if I have to stay indoors for 14 days in a tiny space. I'm doing jumping jacks/ pushups every hour. My hubby gets really grumpy and must go out for coffee. I'm praying we won't kill each other the next few weeks. I almost strangled him today. My husband told us he had a special movie for us to watch. He wouldn't tell us the title. 45 mins in, my son had an anxiety attack and threw up. It was a movie call Contagion :x2. He honestly thought that was a good idea for us to watch, 3 of us have anxiety/ panic disorders. My kids just settled down and I'm reading those trashy romance novels and looking at bling=)2. If only i didn't have to get up at 530 am to telework...

Anyway, I don't have any ideas on how to cope with isolation here. I just pray we'll all get through this.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't done a major cleaning and sorting of the master bedroom closet for a long time. Today I decided to do it. I have no bleeping idea where all the bleeping stuff came from. 6 bleeping hair straighteners; 4 bleeping things used to curl hair; 2 bleeping hair dryers; 7 bleeping comforter sets; 6 bleeping blankets and duvets; 100,000,000,000,000 bleeping pairs of shoes -- all of this stuff not touched for at least 5 years; various bleeping smaller things that I've touched for the past decade only to move them aside so make room for newer bleeping stuff.

The dust was 1/4 inch thick on everything on the top shelves. The dust mites had built a metropolis up there and in the dark lower corners complete with a light-rail transit system. I slaughtered them all -- an entire population wiped out with the few straggling survivors desperately clinging to the swiffer duster out in the garbage bin.

What can't be donated goes to the dump. I've made a resolution that all of that nice empty space in there will stay empty.

What a lot of hard work! You should reward yourself with some shoe shopping! :twisted:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just depressed and was pretty much housebound for three years. I had TMS to pull myself out of it and was feeling human again and now this! The positive side is that if I can keep myself and my family healthy, then I can knock all of the depression dust off of the house. It’s picked up, but it needs a deep clean.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an introvert, I am pleased to have less social contact with others.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fine so far. I got an email last night letting me know that my job didn't have to go into work today after all (spec ed aide, staff getting ready for home instruction, most was completed Friday) DD2 is now home from college, taking winter quarter exams on line this week. DD1 and DH still have to go to work. Worrying about them, but hoping for the best.

Beautfiul day today. I think I'll go out for a walk with the dog.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoooey, day one of homeschool was interesting... Every single teacher has a different approach. Pre lementary school uses a blog format, elementary school writes emails and middle school uses their own notification system which doesn't work. Awesome. I printed out more than 60 pages and one of three laptops (newest one...) stopped working. Great.

There are days when I wish I was into alcohol..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoooey, day one of homeschool was interesting... Every single teacher has a different approach. Pre lementary school uses a blog format, elementary school writes emails and middle school uses their own notification system which doesn't work. Awesome. I printed out more than 60 pages and one of three laptops (newest one...) stopped working. Great.

There are days when I wish I was into alcohol..

Lol. Your kids are lucky to have you @kipari. You’re a great homeschooling mom.

As for alcohol well, remember, it depresses the immune system. Try some calcium rich ice cream. (((Hugs)))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Well I haven't scrubbed my hardwood in a LONG time soooooo......otherwise the ususal cooking and revisiting our huge DVD collection. Rewatched LA Confidential last night....

cheers--Sharon

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty sure I will be gaining more weight. Why am I constantly hungry? It makes no sense. My husband bought me a box of Pop Tarts today. Stores don't have anything. It was such a sweet gesture though. I was like wth were you thinking? And he was, well I thought I'd get you a treat. Okay. It was cute.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty sure I will be gaining more weight. Why am I constantly hungry? It makes no sense. My husband bought me a box of Pop Tarts today. Stores don't have anything. It was such a sweet gesture though. I was like wth were you thinking? And he was, well I thought I'd get you a treat. Okay. It was cute.

When we’re anxious or tense, our body releases a hormone called cortisol which increases our appetite. Also stress can cause us to crave foods high in sugar, fat, or both. It may be our body's attempt to suppress the part of our brain that causes us to worry.

If you exercise, listen to music that moves you, do pleasurable things, all that helps reduce the stress. (((Hugs))).

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The bread baking will begin next week, do you have any super basic beginner recipes you recommend? I have flour and dry yeast :)

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
My hours are cut by two hours per day. I am thankful for this because several people were temporarily put on furlough or hours cut in half. I am going to look for temporary work.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bread baking will begin next week, do you have any super basic beginner recipes you recommend? I have flour and dry yeast :)

If you google ‘four ingredient no knead bread recipe’, you’ll get a bunch of options using just water, flour, yeast and salt, and you don’t need to knead it or use a mixer - super easy. And, if you have a cast iron skillet or Dutch oven, I highly recommend baking it in one ... it produces a wonderful crust. You can mix it up by sprinkling rosemary, sesame seeds, etc. on top.

Example: https://bakerbettie.com/easy-no-knead-skillet-bread/

If you have white chocolate on hand, let me know. I have a killer bread recipe with WC that is addictive AF and almost more ‘dessert’ than bread. :drool:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live on my own and work from home, therefore, I should be able to cope with self-isolation with ease.

I shall miss the social interaction for certain, however I shall cope.

Plenty of food in the house, need to get some more pet food and veg.

Friends have offered to share their pickings from their allotments, bless them.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results