shape
carat
color
clarity

How about another peridot thread? Peter Torraca just cut two cushions for me to choose from.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
I missed out on Peter''s beautiful minty asscher peridot so he offered to cut me a stone out of the same rough but it wasn''t the right shape for another asscher so he cut me a cushion. The cushion ended up larger than we discussed (like THAT''S a problem!
11.gif
) so he cut a smaller version out of some different rough.

The minty stone is 2.89ct, 7.13x9.51x5.90mm
The brighter stone is 2.13ct, 6.43x8.46x5.25mm

I''m making my youngest daughter a ring for her birthday in August...probably an east-west Etsy bezel, or a very simple James Meyer bezel if I can fit it into the budget.

So what do you think?

prettyperidotcollage.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My eyes go right to that bright one. I like the coloring of it alot but then again I have a thing for jolly rancher green
10.gif

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My eye is attracted to the yellow green peridot too because the colour is more vivid.

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
I was drawn to the bright green as well....I think the asscher cut brought out the best in the minty rough, it''s kinda wishy washy in the cushion, huh?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2009 4:33:09 PM
Author: DianaBanana
I was drawn to the bright green as well....I think the asscher cut brought out the best in the minty rough, it''s kinda wishy washy in the cushion, huh?
Yeah it is. I love the bright one though. It''s really lovely.

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
OMG Gypsy....just noticed the finished pendant in your avatar....I''m off to look for your thread!!

It''s fricken'' fantastic!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I hope I don't get yelled at, but I'm really not crazy about either stone. One has too much grey, and the other has too much yellow. I like my peridots to be very vivid slightly yellowish green (not too much yellow though), It is very difficult to find a super bright or richly colored peridot, but if you can, they're really worth it. That one peridot asscher he cut for Lori (I think) was a very nice stone, and these are just not up to par with that one.

I'm sorry, but you wanted opinions, and I just want to make sure you get the best color for your $$.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I second Chrono. Seems like there might be more attractive peridots out there.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2009 5:08:21 PM
OMG Gypsy....just noticed the finished pendant in your avatar....I''m off to look for your thread!!

It''s fricken'' fantastic!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Thank you very much Diana! I responded to you there.
2.gif

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Guys....have you ever commisioned a custom cut stone and then turned it down? Is that kosher? I''d feel like a real ass, but I''m not loving either one...thanks TL for reading my mind and speaking yours!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/30/2009 7:02:42 PM
Guys....have you ever commisioned a custom cut stone and then turned it down? Is that kosher? I''d feel like a real ass, but I''m not loving either one...thanks TL for reading my mind and speaking yours!
Yes, I have. When I commission a stone, I first send pictures of the colour that I am looking for. When the cutter finds something suitable, he''ll send a picture of the rough for my approval. Usually, this process goes well and I love the end result. There has only been 1 instance where it turned out different than what both the cutter and I expected. The cutter accepted the stone back.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2009 7:02:42 PM
hehe, glad I wasn''t the only one thinking this. I do think you can do better.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the last photo, with both stones side by side, the mint looks rather nice. However, I think you can find that colour in other stones as well.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mint!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also keep in mind that peridots are kind of soft. If your daughter is tough on her rings, that might not be the best gem to choose. I''m not sure what your budget is for the stone, but maybe we can help you look for something minty. Michael E has this mint tourmaline for sale for $150. It''s about a carat in size. His website is gemshoppe.com.

MicahealEtourmalineMinty.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure about either one, sorry..
33.gif

I like peridot to be apple green...JMHO....

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
i like the color of the one on the left but are those scratches on the table or is it just me? does he have any other stones available?

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/30/2009 11:13:53 PM
Author: ficklefaye
i like the color of the one on the left but are those scratches on the table or is it just me? does he have any other stones available?
Nope, those are silky inclusions - only seen under magnification though.

I''m going to have Peter send me both stones so I can see them in person....it was really great that he cut me 2 stones to choose from so I''m gonna have a look at both and see what I think of them in person. He cut them similar to the Victoria diamond so I''m kinda curious to see what they look like...I might show them to my daughter since she''s the one who''s been asking for them.
1.gif

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Don''t shoot me but I like the minty one best
4.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 1:35:41 AM

Date: 4/30/2009 11:13:53 PM
Author: ficklefaye
Nope, those are silky inclusions - only seen under magnification though.

I''m going to have Peter send me both stones so I can see them in person....it was really great that he cut me 2 stones to choose from so I''m gonna have a look at both and see what I think of them in person. He cut them similar to the Victoria diamond so I''m kinda curious to see what they look like...I might show them to my daughter since she''s the one who''s been asking for them.
1.gif
Diana

I think it''s a good idea to take a look at the stones. We hear time and time again how difficult green is to photograph. They may look different in real life to the photos.

I love the vibrancy of the stone that has the yellow cast. Shows you how much I know about peridot! I love them the more lime green they are. If they are more bluey green wouldn''t that make them look like poor man''s tsavorite or chrome tourmaline? OK, purists - don''t eat me! I just like lime green, it''s my favourite colour!

I thi

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not sure how fussy you are about shape but have you checked out Gary''s inventory at www.diamondexpert.com? He has a lot of bright and brilliant peridots for very little.

shigidigi

Shiny_Rock
I love the way the lighter one on the right looks on the skin!

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
The peridots arrived today....I sure am glad I got to see them in person as Peter''s pictures didn''t do them any justice (sorry Peter!).

I''m going to keep the larger minty colored stone - the picture on the top left is the most accurate, glowy and sparkly!
36.gif

Peridot collageround2.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH, wow, Diana!!!!!! I LOOOOOOVE that minty stone now!!!!!! It''s gorgeous!!!!!!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Peter''s pictures were horrible. I like your pictures much MUCH better and the stone is so much nicer than the vendor pictures. Congratulations!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh why can''t I seem to find a gorgeous Peridot birthstone like that??? LOVE IT!!!
30.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone. I''ve never been much of a peridot fan, but then, I''ve never seen one glow like that. wow!!
36.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW your photos are great!! You wrote that you wouldn''t be able to see the inclusions in person. Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results