Votes: 1 100.0%
  • YELLOW w/WHITE shutters

• YELLOW w/ RED shutters

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2009 7:00:24 PM
Author: Steel
Date: 10/4/2009 6:46:57 PM
Author: decodelighted
Date: 10/4/2009 6:39:27 PM
Author: Steel
Sorry Deco, I voted for none of them. The original colour white and green would be my choice if I had to pick one. I would prefer a more natural colour ideally a sage green and cream or taupe and cream. Great photoshop skills though!
Thanks Steel ... we did consider sage green originally but our living room color is that right now & I find it so depressing ... have been aching to change it to yellow! Also, there''s a house down the street very similar to ours that has kind of olivey sage green paint with rust colored shutters. So we eliminated mellow greens.
The other houses right around us are all taupe or grey siding. We''re kinda locked into WHITE white trim because we''re not doing the windows & gutters right now & the windows & gutters are all currently white. Also, our fence is white. I hear ya about sage/cream though -- very soothing, classy combo.
Oh heck. I should have read your reply BEFORE I set off researching cute photo''s and almost CERTAINLY before I spent an age resizing the photo solely by chopping bits and pieces off it because DH does not have the photo editor I use on this PC. Still I hope you like the pic - it probably reminds you of your neighbours. But I gotta say; they have got taste
11.gif
I appreciate your efforts! Thanks Steel! You''re wrong about the neighbors though -- they''d be better off with the shutters in your pix: one has very dark green & one has some kind of super bright burgandy. The gray house doesn''t have shutters at all ... more schoolhouse style colonial? White trim though.

Maybe I should mention that there''s a mix of ranches & stone houses & colonials around here BUT we''re also near Woodstock, home of the kaledescopic cottages -- teal with yellow ... red with purple ... eye-popping trippy combos like you wouldn''t believe. That''s influencing me a bit.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Luv2Sparkle, LadyDisdain, Packrat, EBree, Magsymay & Kaleigh!

Lisa, was your white & green a *change* or a refresher of your existing colors? I do like those colors with our massive amounts of pink flowering shrubs. So preppy!
25.gif
They say don''t buy something if you like what you''re already wearing better. I kinda like our existing white/green better than any of the yellow combos - as MUCH as I try to convince myself that yellow is a "smart" choice.

The only time white/green really bugs me is our Loooooong-*ss winters, where our white house gets lost in all that white snow. And is soooooo cooooold looking. Brrrrrrrrr.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I love the first purple! I love, love, love color on a house when it''s done right and I think the purple could be VERY right!

I will admit that I am rather fearless when it comes to color, I painted my house "raspberry jam" much to the horror of many, but it turned out great and I love it. I you love the idea of a purple house, I think you should go for it. Or at least paint a good section and see how you feel about it.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Raspberry jam?? Oh I bet that''s cool!

Deco, that first purple, is that the color you suggested to LTP in her house color thread? That was you right? haha! I think it''s a neat color.

I have a hard time with white-it seems so plain and safe and easy-BUT that''s just ME. Plenty of people have white houses and they look nice!

I like color tho-when we were picking out the siding color this past spring, we seriously considered doing the barn red w/white trim and gray roof. If we had a 2 story instead of a ranch we prolly would''ve thought harder about it-or if we lived in the country!!

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
I like the original scheme...
9.gif

Simple clean colours which are perfect for this type of house.

Good luck deco!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2009 6:57:32 PM
Date: 10/4/2009 6:44:42 PM

Author: thing2of2

I love purple #2! Very cute. Plus I bet a darker color would look better longer.

ETA my second choice would probably be the original color scheme. And I really, really don''t like yellow with red for some reason!

You''re reading my MIND Thing2.
3.gif
My husband really likes the yellow & I have to agree that it would be easier to sell a yellow house than a purple one. I''ve been dreaming of painting this place purple for SEVEN LONG YEARS but have never had the guts to. May still NOT have the guts to - also picked up a fella w/an opinion of his own along the way. LOL!
31.gif
11.gif

Ugh, guys with opinions are so annoying!
3.gif

For some reason something about the yellow doesn''t do it for me. It''s too traditional...or something? And your house has some nontraditional flavor. (Although maybe what I know of you from PS is influencing me!) But yeah, you HAVE to do the purple, especially since you''ve been wanting to do it for seven years! Purple #2 is my fave but of course purple #1 is still gorgeous. DO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2009 8:48:36 PM
Author: packrat
Deco, that first purple, is that the color you suggested to LTP in her house color thread? That was you right? haha! I think it''s a neat color.
Do you mean Neatfreak''s thread? Its actually a different color ... the top one is "Wood Violet" and the 2nd purple is the "Grappa" she was considering for accents. My husband used the Benjamin Moore tools to do the mock ups but we might actually use Sherwin Williams exterior paint, as our painter prefers it. BM''s "Wood Violet" seems VERY similar to the SW''s "Quixotic Plum" color I test painted big boards of today. If we went with Grappa we''d color match BM''s color @ SW because SW doesn''t have a similar enough color.

Here are the purples in question all in a row ..

purpleplatter.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s how the Quixotic Plum house looks with a red door on the SW color viewer dealie. **sigh**
30.gif

DH said "too dark!" when he saw my test boards today though. He seems resigned to giving in on this if I really, really want purple. It matters more to me & that''s how we decide things sometimes. Hmmmmm.

sherwinpurplehousereddoor.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
And, though this isn''t in the poll ... it seems to be gaining traction amongst my family members (2 sisters & dad):

Sooooo traditional -- MY eyes are bleeding. Didn''t even include it here at Pscope! DH, of course, loves this one too. Gah.

yellowblackcombo.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto - I tend to like less flashy colors for the exterior of a house.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Duh, oops, yeah, Neats thread!

I like the Wood Violet myself! There''s a house a few blocks over that is sage green with a purpley color like you''re looking at for trim..I think it might have some sort of dark cream color too. It''s really cute!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Original white w/green shutters. The yellow with white is okay. . .sorry to say, the purple isn''t that flattering.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2009 8:30:38 PM
Author: April20
I love the first purple! I love, love, love color on a house when it''s done right and I think the purple could be VERY right! I will admit that I am rather fearless when it comes to color, I painted my house ''raspberry jam'' much to the horror of many, but it turned out great and I love it. I you love the idea of a purple house, I think you should go for it. Or at least paint a good section and see how you feel about it.
LOVE LOVE LOVE! That''s DARING. You rock! I''m such a plain jane dresser -- all whites & blacks & jeans with the odd CRAZY khaki! Living on the EDGE! But the inside of our house is quite bold. The entryway & kitchen are bright lipstick/cherry RED -- another room froggy green - another dark teal - then comes the sage & upstairs is more sedate: one room mocha & two super super light glowy pink - almost blush. Where the urge to purplify is coming from: who the heck knows. But I''ve been dreaming of eggplant & blackberry & such & such for sooo long. Just. Can''t. Pull. Trigger.

My sister''s email to me re: the last purple pix: "Um ... NO!"

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco, if you like purple and hubby won''t argue, I say go for the purple girlie! If you want to be a little less colorful, you could do all the trim and shutters and doors in your purple, and do a lighter taupe brownish for the house.

If we were planning on moving at any point, we would''ve had a little more fun w/the exterior I think-like the whole barn thing I mentioned. (and it would''ve been paint that is easier to change than the siding!) But, this was a one time deal, so we did the taupy brownish siding. My DAD''s eyes were bleeding and when I told him I was painting the doors and shutters a bright burgundy-even the overhead big garage door is getting painted. He kept screaming "White white, paint it white or something really LIGHT and do the doors BLUE". When it was done (not all the red is done tho) his jaw just dropped-he said "Wow, I had NO clue it would look like this, and you know I hated the idea, so that''s a lot, coming from me!"

Like mentioned before, you''ve been waiting a lot of years and loving those colors the whole time-do it! They''ll either come around once they see how great it looks..or tell them they can decide the house color if they take over the mortgage payments. Didn''t work w/my dad, but ya never know.

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Deco,
I love the 1st purple -- its pretty neutral (don''t go for the second-- redder undertones!!)
My neighbors'' house was a version of the 1st purple with white trim- I loved it! (I was upset that they were my immediate neighbors and couldn''t do something similar!)
The darker color really hides imperfections/dirt really well

I think the grayer-the purple, the better
(then decide if straight white compliments it best or if you should go with a creamier color)

Have fun!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1st choice: White siding with green shutters

(close) 2nd choice: pale yellow with black shutters

I think either of these would be good for eventual resale.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely looooooove the first purple with white. It''s neutral but different.

I hate to say this, but the yellow and green is just too GB packers to me!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2009 8:29:52 PM
Thanks Luv2Sparkle, LadyDisdain, Packrat, EBree, Magsymay & Kaleigh!

Lisa, was your white & green a *change* or a refresher of your existing colors? I do like those colors with our massive amounts of pink flowering shrubs. So preppy!
25.gif
They say don''t buy something if you like what you''re already wearing better. I kinda like our existing white/green better than any of the yellow combos - as MUCH as I try to convince myself that yellow is a ''smart'' choice.

The only time white/green really bugs me is our Loooooong-*ss winters, where our white house gets lost in all that white snow. And is soooooo cooooold looking. Brrrrrrrrr.
Not a change kept the same. It works, it''s crisp and clean looking....

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/4/2009 9:20:32 PM
Here's how the Quixotic Plum house looks with a red door on the SW color viewer dealie. **sigh**
30.gif

I absolutely LOVE this version. WOW!!! The red door is such a nice contrast
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I voted for the first purple in the poll. I think it's gorgeous!

ETA - The house I grew up in was white with white trim. Just recently my mom got new siding in gray with a purplish tone to it and painted the door plum purple with white trim (no shutters). At first we thought she had lost it but the finished product is amazing.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I gotta say I really don't like those yellow combos. I really love the purple but it will make a small house look smaller. You'll remember that we are painting our house too and I finally hired someone to help me pick colors and I LOVE her ideas. She was worth every penny and didn't try to force me to choose the same old colors that everyone does. She just is guiding me to choose something a bit modern and funky but appealing to the masses when we go to sell.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also please don''t do grappa! In person it is SO bright. A better color for a dark purple exterior is BM caponata. My color consultant showed me grappa outside and it was much too bright.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2009 9:00:02 PM
Date: 10/4/2009 6:57:32 PM

Date: 10/4/2009 6:44:42 PM

I love purple #2! Very cute. Plus I bet a darker color would look better longer.

ETA my second choice would probably be the original color scheme. And I really, really don''t like yellow with red for some reason!

You''re reading my MIND Thing2.
3.gif
My husband really likes the yellow & I have to agree that it would be easier to sell a yellow house than a purple one. I''ve been dreaming of painting this place purple for SEVEN LONG YEARS but have never had the guts to. May still NOT have the guts to - also picked up a fella w/an opinion of his own along the way. LOL!
31.gif
11.gif

Ugh, guys with opinions are so annoying!
3.gif

For some reason something about the yellow doesn''t do it for me. It''s too traditional...or something? And your house has some nontraditional flavor. (Although maybe what I know of you from PS is influencing me!) But yeah, you HAVE to do the purple, especially since you''ve been wanting to do it for seven years! Purple #2 is my fave but of course purple #1 is still gorgeous. DO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!

Deco - I completely agree with Thing2. My favorite is purple #2!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
So, I was looking online and found this pricescope thread about a similar looking Pricescopers home. Half way down the 2nd page is a creamy yellow and purple shutters that was quite pretty.
I hope the former pser doesn't mind my posting it..

Island Dreams' photoshopped house

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
THANKS EVERYBODY!!!

I was away from the computer all day yesterday & am just catching up now. I''m still really struggling with this decision. Maybe I should consider *lighter* purples (that still fall into the neutral zone, not the cotton candy zone)?? Or opt for cream rather than yellow. Just can''t make myself love any of the yellow combos more than I like the original paint scheme. The only option that really excites me (purple) also terrifies me. It could fail in a major, showy way & kick me in the $$ bum for years to come w/ resale.

Neatfreak, man I wish there was someone around here who specialized in color selection. I might be willing to pay someone to guide me, though they''d have to be quick about it. The painters are supposed to start next Monday. I stare at these silly mock-ups way too much & flip flop hourly. This morning I was thinking "too dark". But then I think "chicken!".

Appreciate the votes Pscope Buds!!!!!!! Have a virtual apple cider donut & mug of hot choc on me. Bonus: No calories ...
3.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2009 2:11:56 AM
Author: heraanderson
So, I was looking online and found this pricescope thread about a similar looking Pricescopers home. Half way down the 2nd page is a creamy yellow and purple shutters that was quite pretty.
I hope the former pser doesn''t mind my posting it..
Island Dreams'' photoshopped house
You know, I stumbled onto that thread from a google search re: cottage colors and was like hey! Pricescope! I didn''t remember the thread originally & now wonder how the final product turned out! There are some BOLD combos in that thread. Very Woodstocky. Thanks for posting it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2009 1:53:25 AM
Author: neatfreak
Also please don''t do grappa! In person it is SO bright. A better color for a dark purple exterior is BM caponata. My color consultant showed me grappa outside and it was much too bright.
Good to know. I tried some way too bright purples out - that''d I''d been originally thinking of as shutter colors for the yellow body. The Quixotic Plum from SW is very neutral but also VERY DARK. A true blackberry/eggplant kind of almost black. But I don''t like the lighter shades of it higher up on the card. Weird.

Can''t wait to see what you pick NF. But I''m not in the FB loupe. Hope you post pix here!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2009 7:47:25 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Deco, I love yellow with the green shutters. Another fave combo of mine is yellow with slate blue shutters... Just a thought. My house is white with green shutters. Just had it painted this summer, they were here for a long time.

Next is a new roof!!!! So not looking forward to that. In our old house, I came home from the hospital, had a terrible leak and had a new roof put on after a C section. I should have gone to a hotel, that was the worst!!!!
I have to second this! I''m in love with yellow/blue combinations lately. Navy and yellow, or even yellow and platinum grey.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the white with the green but I do not like the yellow with the green and I really don''t like the yellow with the red. I like the first purple best... funky and subtle at the same time. LOVE IT! Yellow and white and the original are both fine too.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay Purple!!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2009 2:11:56 AM
Author: heraanderson
I hope the former pser doesn''t mind my posting it..

Island Dreams'' photoshopped house
That''s it, Deco!!!!! Run with that colour scheme
36.gif
36.gif

Enough interest in the light purplish shade that will keep it from becoming ho-hum, and yet classic in a subtle way.

In the summer, copy those flowers too - completes the drop-dead-gorgeous look!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
35.gif

PS: It reeks of Cape Cod too...
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results