shape
carat
color
clarity

Horrible experience with Ed Bristol Wildfish Gems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Snip!
Just wanted to bring my masculine perspective to this thread, since obviously, these silly, petty, emotional females cannot be trusted with anything business related. Honestly, why are you all even posting here? Isn't there something in the kitchen that needs tending to? ;)2... :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Hey ! I'm posting from the kitchen! Does that count as okay?? :P2:lol-2:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems I am missing a lot of messages that show up later.

I have truly been nothing but cordial with Ed this whole time. Vividly transparent, honest, and straight forward with what I desired. He said he would do it and took my money. If it was impossible to do, he should have just said no. But Yes, another wholesale gem stone dealer I took it to locally in Austin, TX (if anyone was in this area id prove its truly not loupe clean. Not even eye clean, as ive been saying) and another guy who cuts emeralds and other stones from the rough both say it was not loupe clean and whoever sold it to me, if what I say about loupe clean is true, I was deceived.

Also, the cut is very out of alignment. I saw this and they mentioned it. The wholesale dealer, who is also a one man show, said if it was his stone, he would recut it due to its asymmetrical backside.

I would, and will prove all of this with pictures when I get the chance. I work 6 days a week and at the moment only have a phone to take pics, and that was the best photo I can even get of the sapphire without it being blurry.

I believe what happened with Ed was he got in over his head, mentioning he destroyed many corals in this process and doesn't want to lose so much $. But I can't be responsible for that. We agreed to a certain amount and after the first failed coral he told me about ( I asked him after that if he even wanted to continue... Only Later after he says he found a flawless one does he tell me he destroyed many corals.) But again. I never asked him to destroy them. I only agreed that for a flawless coral I would pay $2000. I was never consulted on any destruction. Told about it Later, yes... And he was in over his head. Probably couldn't find the desired sapphire either so it seems he was like screw it. I have your flawless items. When sadly, they are not.
And I've recently seen and was told by the local seller that yes corals do come cleaner than his. And its chipped.. And that $2000 for a 4ct red coral is way too much.

Here's the thing. I dont care about the price. I'll gladly double pay for the true items we agreed to. But these are not them. And as I told Ed, 'Ed I'm so very sorry to inform you, but I cannot accept these items as they are not what we agreed to"
Then he starts flaming me with insults.
And that is the 1000% truth.

I think this is very sensible advice and I hope it is not discounted (since you seem to be a woman, after all!) I don't think anyone is objecting to the OP taking this course of action.

Personally I find it in poor taste to trash someone's professional reputation without providing photographic evidence of an apparent transactional failure. That's all.

I'm in Austin. I have a loupe. If you really want a second opinion from a nonprofessional let me know. If you want a professional opinion that won't cost too much you can get an informal appraisal from Abercrombie gems on the west side for $50.

But it sounds like you made your mind up and just want to vent. If you've been nothing but polite to the vendor as you say perhaps you can probe in where these unexpected fees come from, what are the costs he has incurred during the search etc and try to cone to a resolution that works for both of you.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Rutile*. And.. Its gorgeous, but the cut is off for a 7k 3.5 yellow. Prob should habe paid 4k for this

I don't think that you understand that gem prices are NOT linear by carat. If we're talking natural gemstones, it is much more difficult to find a 3.5 carat than 3 1.5 carat sapphire. Why should the price be linear if probability and rarity aren't linear?

A top unheated Burmese ruby at the 1-ct size will sell for $60,000 per carat. A top unheated Burmese ruby at the 25 ct size will sell for >$1,000,000 per carat. The only place you'll find gemstone prices linear is below 1 carat.

I don't know what the yellow sapphire market is like, but surely rarity and the nonlinear relationship with size need to be considered, and it doesn't appear you understand nonlinearity. Can you find an unheated yellow sapphire that is as vividly colored as your photo shows for $4k? If you can, then I would agree with you.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rutile*. And.. Its gorgeous, but the cut is off for a 7k 3.5 yellow. Prob should habe paid 4k for this

A 3.5 carat yellow sapphire that is flawless, unheated and no treatments would be more than 4k.

It is possible the stone you have is a “native” cut. (I don’t know the new word for native cut)

You should tell the next vendor that you want museum quality stones for 7k and 2k.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StarRHnegative -

Can you pls take a photo of the front of the coral? And - I'm sorry to deviate here but...that color is insanely gorgeous! Was the coral not set? If so - how were you able to get this photo?

Just curious....

The color is amazing. I’ve never seen coral that made me think of buying it until this color. I can’t get the color out of my head.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
This is an unfortunate situation. Without access to full records or hearing both sides, we can't be sure what the whole deal is here. But I bet both parties would like to get it resolved and put it behind them.

I see five likely outcomes but it looks to me like it's headed for #5 below:

(1) Buyer will decide to keep the stones.
(2) Buyer will decide to accept the 2/3 refund offered.
(3) Seller will decide to give a full refund (minus the portion already agreed on for the coral jewelry).
(4) Buyer and Seller will agree on their own to an amount somewhere between what each wants.
(5) A higher authority will make the final decision, based on applicable law (small claims court judge or credit card/PayPal).

So, maybe the site below could assist with determining what that decision will most likely be, and either or both could just do that, avoiding the additional hassle and putting this to rest:

https://texaslawhelp.org/ask-question

ETA: Then, perhaps request this thread be deleted.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you specify that you wanted a precision cut as opposed to a native cut?

StarRHnegative

Rough_Rock
You're comparing a ruby.. Which are much more difficult to find clean and large of 1 ct... Vs 25ct..... Hahaha 25 ct... Really? Of course its not linear. A 3 ct emerald clean minor oil might go for 20000 but rockerfellers sexy emerald of 17ct 5.5 mill..

But a 2 ct yellow compared to a 3 ct yellow.. Not much difference.
Ed has clean sapphires with silk or veils. I could have purchased the 3.65 for around 3000- 4000 from him. I forget the exact amount.

Eye clean yellows are not hard to come by. Here's why. Blues and rubies are usually heat treated rough. So the market is saturated with them. Yellows are not commonly treated because they come out of the ground ready to go with a desirable color. Therefor the yellows on the market are in a higher abundance. And it is known for whatever reason scientifically with corundum and yellow it creates larger clean stones. Ok I'm not saying 15 ct easily.. But around 3... Yes.

Yes. Ive seen local jewelers in Austin and gem dealers who have shown me radiant cuts untreated certified with just as intense color as this one for at max 1k a carat. Clean stones. Eye clean for sure. Not loupe clean.. As in some small specks of colorless bubbles or silk.. But nothing eye visible.

I think a lot of people agree Ed seems highly over priced. I mean... 850 for rough black tourmaline earings? o_O I can get a whole cardboard box of that for $15.
To each his own. But in comparison the truth is Ed is highly over priced compared to other vendors. Even Africa gems has 3.5 clean sapphires for around 4k (they offer 20% off too)

Moral of story here is I made an agreement with a vendor about set details and those were not delivered. I didn't want to bring this to the public either. I've sat patiently for about a month now. But vendor refuses and wont even address the flaws. He just says i should learn to accept things the way they are.
I already offered.. Please.. Lets just both take a loss.. I'll lose $770 for nothing. You can resell these on your site...

Refusal has left me at.. Well the reality is we agreed to certain criteria. It was not met.
Either give my money back, or I'll see you before a judge. Or have a default judgement against you. That is the only option left.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
@Star- So you are going to file in small claims court in Texas, then? (It looks like it goes up to $10,000).

If so, please let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again, the Sarasota address is not an office. It doesn’t exist and there are no employees.

It is a freight forwarder. The “suite” is his account number with the warehouse forwarder.

it is for the ease of customers to be able to send back gems within the USA and then they are forwarded to Ed in Europe.

Ed has no offices in the United States.

The website domain server is located in Texas.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
You're comparing a ruby.. Which are much more difficult to find clean and large of 1 ct... Vs 25ct..... Hahaha 25 ct... Really? Of course its not linear. A 3 ct emerald clean minor oil might go for 20000 but rockerfellers sexy emerald of 17ct 5.5 mill..

But a 2 ct yellow compared to a 3 ct yellow.. Not much difference.
I cited ruby because that's the gemstone I know how to evaluate the best. Avid ruby lover.

If we're grouping ruby and pink sapphire in the same category, it is NOT more difficult to find ruby and pink sapphire clean than it is to find other colors of sapphires clean. Ruby and sapphire are the same crystal. The only difference between ruby and pink sapphire is the saturation of color, not anything else that would affect inclusions and crystal structure. Ruby does not naturally have more inclusions. That's the supply side.

Then you have to consider the demand. Because the color red (and the fluorescence of chromium) is so desirable, particularly with Asian cultures, the vast majority of the good product in ruby goes to buyers in Asia or elsewhere who are willing to pay a premium for ruby over other colors of corundum because the color red is special to them. Demand side, there is much higher demand for ruby than for any other colors of corundum/sapphire, so once all the good stuff is bought up the only things left are the overpriced heated rubies, the not-so-well-cut rubies, the fracture filled rubies, so on.

There is no scientific reason why rubies are more included than other colors of sapphire. It's just that demand is so high, clean ruby will sell for astronomical prices. The only rubies most people can afford are the poor-quality rubies.

Emerald is a different crystal altogether. A clean emerald is rarer than a clean ruby. It may not sell for as much as a clean ruby of the highest caliber, but that is due to buyer preference for ruby and not because clean ruby is rarer.

I'm not saying that Ed Bristol's price for the 3.5 ct yellow sapphire was definitely appropriate. But there is a significant price differential for sapphires from a 2 ct size to a 3 ct size. The curve is steeper for ruby than for any other color, but you can't expect to pay the same price/ct for a 3 ct stone as for a 1 ct or a 2 ct stone.

If you've been quoted a lower price from a local jeweller, there are two possibilities:
1. They've had that unheated yellow sapphire in their inventory for so long without being able to sell it, so they're willing to let it go for below market rate. When people think sapphire, they crave blue sapphire, or oftentimes pink, not often yellow, so this would be a possible scenario.
2. They're misinformed about the gem, and that yellow sapphire is heated or treated with beryllium. You'd be surprised how many jewelers do not know their colored stones. Why should they, when 99% of what they sell is diamonds?

The only way to know for sure whether you've got yourself a great deal is if they agree to let you send the sapphire to a respectable gem lab such as AGL, and are willing to give a 100% refund if the gemstone does not test as expected.

You are well within your rights to complain about a vendor and dissatisfaction with his customer service. But what you've been claiming about what it "should have cost" reveals that you have little experience buying colored gemstones, so you should not be making your assertions that emphatically, using an authoritative tone.

Yellow sapphires are colored by iron impurities in the crystal structure. I have not read anything about why yellow sapphires should be cleaner than other sapphires. If you could please cite scientific sources for this claim, I'd be very interested. I'm not interested in hearsay from local gemologists you know who have much less experience than colored stone experts at AGL or GIA.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I have never heard of a vendor charging to source a stone. After all, their business always sources new stones. You sell one, you find more to sell. If someone want a custom cut of a type of stone, this is different. A custom order may not be easily re-sold. Thus either a no return policy or a charge to take it back. This appears to be the way most vendors operate. You can contact three or four vendors to look for a stone of certain specks for you. You are not going to pay for their "search".

There are two things that I ask the OP.
1. Why did you pay up-front for gems that were not even in he hands of ED?. I suggest you do not do this again. EVER
2. Why did you not return the gems within the return period. 7days for the yellow sapphire?

If you go to court, make sure you have written analysis of the yellow sapphire from any gemologist you took it to. That's documentation.

I'm an old timer on here. People change and viewpoints change. In the olden days, Ed from Wildfish Gems was not recommended. His prices are way out there. But he is a nice man.

There is a woman who had a 5 ct yellow sapphire for sale of Loupe Troop a while ago. It may be heat treated, but is beautiful. It belongs to Diamond Seeker and was cut by Jeff White. She wanted 6,000 for it. If Lovedogs is not mad at me for my post, perhaps she can pull up the stone for you. I am computer illiterate.
If you did not get what was contracted with ED, contact your creditcard compny. I hope you can resolve this.

Annette

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I have never heard of a vendor charging to source a stone. After all, their business always sources new stones. You sell one, you find more to sell. If someone want a custom cut of a type of stone, this is different. A custom order may not be easily re-sold. Thus either a no return policy or a charge to take it back. This appears to be the way most vendors operate. You can contact three or four vendors to look for a stone of certain specks for you. You are not going to pay for their "search".

1. Why did you pay up-front for gems that were not even in he hands of ED?. I suggest you do not do this again. EVER
2. Why did you not return the gems within the return period. 7days for the yellow sapphire?

If you go to court, make sure you have written analysis of the yellow sapphire from any gemologist you took it to. That's documentation.

I'm an old timer on here. People change and viewpoints change. In the olden days, Ed from Wildfish Gems was not recommended. His prices are way out there. But he is a nice man.

There is a woman who had a 5 ct yellow sapphire for sale of Loupe Troop a while ago. It may be heat treated, but is beautiful. It belongs to Diamond Seeker and was cut by Jeff White. She wanted 6,000 for it. If Lovedogs is not mad at me for my post, perhaps she can pull up the stone for you. I am computer illiterate.
If you did not get what was contracted with ED, contact your creditcard compny. I hope you can resolve this.

Annette

He didn’t want Ds’s yellow sapphire. That was in the previous thread when he was looking.

Also, I suspect the coral was indeed custom cut since he said that Ed said he had to destroy several coral trying to meet the demands.

Op posted: “He has worked so hard.. Put in so many hours.. Destroyed other corals”.

That sounds like a custom cut to me

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Annette

Is this the stone you were thinking of? This is the one that came to my mind as well.

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...f-white-vibrant-yellow-asscher-sapphire;25131

Looks like it is definitely loupe-clean, but it is heated. I'm pretty sure the OP is adamant about it being unheated for some sort of healing properties. Apparently heated stones lose all of the healing powers. Or do the heated stones heal RH+ people (aka the monkeys), while unheated stones heal RH- people (aka the superior alien beings)? I'm still confused.

Reactions: mdi

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this the stone you were thinking of? This is the one that came to my mind as well.

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...f-white-vibrant-yellow-asscher-sapphire;25131

Looks like it is definitely loupe-clean, but it is heated. I'm pretty sure the OP is adamant about it being unheated for some sort of healing properties. Apparently heated stones lose all of the healing powers. Or do the heated stones heal RH+ people (aka the monkeys), while unheated stones heal RH- people (aka the superior alien beings)? I'm still confused.

No, that’s not it. It’s from @diamondseeker2006 it is a Jeff White but I think it was an emerald cut. At this point, I think it would be a hard sell for anyone to want to sell to this customer.

Edited: looks like she sold it anyway https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yellow-antique-cushion-sapphire-by-jeff-white.239430/

I’m also still confused, because I have O+ blood so I guess I’m a monkey, but I’m also a Clair and an angel on earth, so how does that work? :eek2::roll2:o_O:dance:

Reactions: mdi

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Annette
It's not my stone, but yes, it was already suggested to op on a different thread and op was not interested.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I believe the OP had said he already checked into it and could sue in Texas even with all the other factors. However, I'm not sure if that's correct.

Apparently, disputes over internet sales from different states are even difficult, let alone different countries. A list of the usual criteria in determining it is listed here:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/small-claims-book/chapter21-7.html

And then apparently even if you do win, it can be very difficult to collect anyway:

"If a judgment is entered in your favor, the court does not collect the judgment for you, nor can it force the party to pay the judgment. It is very difficult to collect a money judgment in Texas. Only non-exempt property of the judgment debtor may be seized to satisfy the judgment. Most judgment debtors do not have non-exempt property; in other words, most people have only exempt property. It is likely that it will be difficult to recover any money. Please consider this before you take the time and expense of filing a lawsuit..."

https://www.traviscountytx.gov/justices-of-peace/jp3/filing-lawsuit

Even if everything the OP has said is the truth and the whole story, I think I'd either keep the stones, take the 2/3 refund offered, or look to the credit card company or PayPal for recourse. However, if he paid 3 payments over an extended period of time in the past, that's a whole new set of rules to look up.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But how does it work if someone comes from the superior Aryan Rh- bloodline but is also a Jew? Asking for a friend...*

*It's me.

Forget this Aryan Rh- stuff. I'm CMV- and that's really rare lol.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe the OP had said he already checked into it and could sue in Texas even with all the other factors. However, I'm not sure if that's correct.

Apparently, disputes over internet sales from different states are even difficult, let alone different countries. A list of the usual criteria in determining it is listed here:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/small-claims-book/chapter21-7.html

And then apparently even if you do win, it can be very difficult to collect anyway:

"If a judgment is entered in your favor, the court does not collect the judgment for you, nor can it force the party to pay the judgment. It is very difficult to collect a money judgment in Texas. Only non-exempt property of the judgment debtor may be seized to satisfy the judgment. Most judgment debtors do not have non-exempt property; in other words, most people have only exempt property. It is likely that it will be difficult to recover any money. Please consider this before you take the time and expense of filing a lawsuit..."

Even if everything the OP has said is the truth and the whole story, I think I'd either keep the stones, take the 2/3 refund offered, or look to the credit card company or PayPal for recourse. However, if he paid 3 payments over an extended period of time in the past, that's a whole new set of rules to look up.

It’s the same in Louisiana... hard to collect judgement money. With my MIL’s lawsuit, when we win we have asked to be awarded costs. At the most, I can put a lien on their houses, but even that expires after 10 years. (This May be outdated). The trial lawyer and I haven’t gotten to this point in discussions, but the last I checked, this was how it went.

Lawsuits only deplete people of money. The system gets the money and all you do is lose money, whether you win or lose in the end.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m also still confused, because I have O+ blood so I guess I’m a monkey, but I’m also a Clair and an angel on earth, so how does that work? :eek2::roll2:o_O:dance:

Totally off topic but this thread is bananas anyway so...Did you ever write about being Clair anywhere? Like get into detail? I find that very intriguing. I’ve always wished I was more of a sensitive type.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

He can file but it would be hard to win and even harder to collect if he did win (I'm not a lawyer but have been through this process once and it sucked)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally off topic but this thread is bananas anyway so...Did you ever write about being Clair anywhere? Like get into detail? I find that very intriguing. I’ve always wished I was more of a sensitive type.

I may have mentioned it once or twice before. It’s Clair cognizance ( clear knowing, I just know certain things), and I tried to turn it off because I ain’t got time for that. Lol. It’s very easy to take on other people’s energies and problems, and often (like even with parties I throw at my house), I have to go to my room, turn off the lights and take a 10 minute break to calm down.

Other Clairs recognize me, which is always strange and interesting and usually happens in the strangest of places (like once in a horse barn at a race track).

Basically, I don’t know how to “work it” and so far in my life I haven’t wanted to learn.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may have mentioned it once or twice before. It’s Clair cognizance ( clear knowing, I just know certain things), and I tried to turn it off because I ain’t got time for that. Lol. It’s very easy to take on other people’s energies and problems, and often (like even with parties I throw at my house), I have to go to my room, turn off the lights and take a 10 minute break to calm down.

Other Clairs recognize me, which is always strange and interesting and usually happens in the strangest of places (like once in a horse barn at a race track).

Basically, I don’t know how to “work it” and so far in my life I haven’t wanted to learn.

That’s really neat but I can imagine how draining that could be for you. As a total introvert, I can’t even imagine how much more exhausting social functions would become. :confused2:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s really neat but I can imagine how draining that could be for you. As a total introvert, I can’t even imagine how much more exhausting social functions would become. :confused2:

If we ever meet each other, let’s get some wine and I’ll tell you some stories lol

Lula

Ideal_Rock
0-. Congrats. My fellow alien
O-, Saggitarius sun sign, Saggitarius Ascendant.
Winning!
But, alas, all this genetic and celestial good fortune is wasted on a female.

ETA: Just found the photos. The stones are lovely. Ed's prices are high, but the OP knew that going in. And it seems that the yellow sapphire has already provided a "boost" to the OP. So despite his unhappiness with the clarity, its powers seem to be intact. I have no idea if this business is reputable, or if it's been mentioned before. They do not promise anything beyond "eye flawless, super clean," whatever that means.
https://www.planetarygems.com/yellowsapphirepage5.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results