shape
carat
color
clarity

Homemade ring finally DONE!! 1.53ct Asscher, 2mm band

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
What, no pave?

Hahaha... Just kidding :tongue: Handwork is truly amazing, even more so when it is done by YOUR hands. A very very special ring... I am sure that she will absolutely love it.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
WOW, I can not believe you made this ring!! That is going to make it so much more special to her! And your diamond is stunning :love:

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, impressive work! The ring is really beautiful and not just for a homemade ring!

renogirl

Shiny_Rock
It's spectacular!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool, I"d be blown away if my man made me a ring, much less a gorgeous one like this!

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
MakingTheGrade|1324027482|3082743 said:
Very cool, I"d be blown away if my man made me a ring, much less a gorgeous one like this!

Bravo, undercover! Best of luck with the proposal. The ring is incredible.

[Sotto voce: Are we sure undercover is a guy?]

Undercover999

Rough_Rock
Blue-Seeker|1324075313|3083083 said:

You saying I have feminine fingers??

Everyone seems to agree on not plating it... OK, I yield to the experts. If she prefers plating we can always have it done later.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Sunday is the day.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous and well done to you Mr Talented! :appl: :appl: :appl:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
this is incredible! i am amazed that you made this ring by yourself. it turned out great and how special that you made it for her!!! please do update us after the proposal :)

the stone is gorgeous too :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been lurking in your other thread and am very impressed by this accomplishment!! You did a fantastic job and it was fascinating watching your progress! The ring is amazing and the stone is beautiful! :appl: :love:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats in advance!

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Undercover999|1324100679|3083280 said:
Blue-Seeker|1324075313|3083083 said:

You saying I have feminine fingers??

Everyone seems to agree on not plating it... OK, I yield to the experts. If she prefers plating we can always have it done later.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Sunday is the day.

No, not feminine, but nice-looking hands. Like a surgeon's hands :D
Actually, as I was reading your other thread, I was thinking that I'd show it to several women goldsmiths I know, one of whom teaches a metals course, and I noticed that you didn't say whether you were male or female. Not that anyone asked. But don't want to assume!

Edit: Good luck tomorrow. It's a really special ring, and I'm sure she will be as wowed as we are by your labor of love.

pixgirl

Shiny_Rock
You are totally amazing!!!! I'm inspired!

nararabbit

Shiny_Rock
Weren't you originally going to avoid telling her you made it? Strictly opinion, but you'd be removing the most romantic part of all! ;-)

My husband's proposal was romantic, but I can only imagine my response if he said he MADE MY RING. BY HAND.

It would go something like this (click to 1:20 mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn8QJ8KWhLU :lol:

Amazing! :love:

Undercover999

Rough_Rock
Blue-Seeker|1324170961|3083738 said:
Actually, as I was reading your other thread, I was thinking that I'd show it to several women goldsmiths I know, one of whom teaches a metals course, and I noticed that you didn't say whether you were male or female. Not that anyone asked. But don't want to assume!

Edit: Good luck tomorrow. It's a really special ring, and I'm sure she will be as wowed as we are by your labor of love.

Well for the record, I am a man. Thats probably the first hand compliment I've ever gotten - its actually kind of a running joke among my friends that my hands are always burned/dented/scraped/cut from my various tinkering. Thanks!! :D

nararabbit|1324189479|3083863 said:
Weren't you originally going to avoid telling her you made it? Strictly opinion, but you'd be removing the most romantic part of all! ;-)

That is still the plan, actually. I agree that a "big reveal" would be fun and a great surprise, but I don't want the focus to be on me for these first couple weeks when she tells her friends and family. The important thing here is that we'll be engaged to be married, not that I made her a shiny thing; a lot of times the ring already steals the show and since this one is somewhat special I worry it will do so to an even greater degree.

When I tell her in a couple weeks she'll have something fun to share with people all over again.

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Undercover999|1324232140|3084048 said:
Blue-Seeker|1324170961|3083738 said:

Well for the record, I am a man. Thats probably the first hand compliment I've ever gotten - its actually kind of a running joke among my friends that my hands are always burned/dented/scraped/cut from my various tinkering. Thanks!! :D

nararabbit|1324189479|3083863 said:

That is still the plan, actually. I agree that a "big reveal" would be fun and a great surprise, but I don't want the focus to be on me for these first couple weeks when she tells her friends and family. The important thing here is that we'll be engaged to be married, not that I made her a shiny thing; a lot of times the ring already steals the show and since this one is somewhat special I worry it will do so to an even greater degree.

When I tell her in a couple weeks she'll have something fun to share with people all over again.

You, sir, are a keeper!
I'm looking forward to seeing hand shots of the ring on her finger, and hearing about her reaction. But until then, I love how you are keeping the engagement, the ring, and the creation of the ring in proper perspective.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Wow, how cool that you can do that yourself! :appl:

Undercover999

Rough_Rock
This isn't much of a shock but.... she said yes!!

We took a hike out to a waterfall because she loves waterfalls and, ostensibly, I needed a good place to try out the new camera she got me for Christmas. ::wink wink:: It was nearly dry as we haven't had much rain, but it was perfect all the same. Her other best friend (the dog) got to come too, for extra brownie points. I set up the camera like I was going to take a picture of us in front of the falls with the timer, but it actually was recording a movie and I did the deed and she said "Yeah!!!" like I was asking a stupid question :D . Then we had a fantastic dinner downtown.

No, I didn't tell her it was homemade, but she is overjoyed with the design - shes remarked on how I "found" a ring with all the elements she wanted; she thinks its absolutely perfect. Of course I can't show her this thread but I'm sure she wouldn't mind me posting a pic or two...

IMG_0034e.jpg
IMG_0042e.jpg
IMG_0081e.jpg IMG_0084e.jpg

MrsDrP

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!!! I'm so so so happy for you and your new fiance! Beautiful pictures :)

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! You are an adorable couple!

You know, as impressive as the whole journey of your making the ring is, I think my favorite part about this is that in the end, you never lost sight of it being the perfect ring for *her*. It's so adorable that she thinks you just happened to find a ring with all the elements she likes, and it speaks volumes about your heart and your love for her. Wishing you many happy years together!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! It turned out lovely!

Pretty Irish Setter as well.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!!! Cute couple and pretty puppy!!! I hope you do tell her, I think that's unbelievably romantic that you made it yourself.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I love it! I think waiting to tell her you made it is a good idea, very thoughtful of you to let her have the spotlight, so to speak.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

The ring is GORGEOUS on her hand - just perfect!! And how wonderful that she adores the design you spent so much time and effort perfecting :love: Gosh, I really can't wait for you to tell her that you made it yourself!!

But...at the same time... how incredibly sweet of you to not tell her yet, and keep the attention on your engagement - and on *her*. We've seen more than enough to not be the least bit surprised that she said yes :bigsmile:

Thanks for sharing those pics! Your fiancee is very pretty - not that you asked ::)

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Happy engagement! She looks like a sweetie too. Many many blessings to you both. :appl: :appl:
By the way, she has good taste. Setters (albeit they aren't the smartest cookies on account of strong instincts to chase squirrels, etc.) are wonderful friends too. We had an english setter and it was the biggest lovebug. Looks like one big happy family!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! Now, please promise to give us an update once you DO tell her you made it yourself!!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
congratulations on your engagement! Please tell her the story - she'll love it (and you!) so much for the effort you put in to her special ring :love:

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure what I'm more impressed by. The fact that you MADE her a ring custom tailored to what she wanted, or that you decided not to tell her immediately so as not to make it all about you.

WOW.

Congrats on a gorgeous ring, a gorgeous fiance, and a truly wonderful act of love.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, that is incredible! You are amazing :appl:

OMG, what a CUTE COUPLE!!! I love your doggie too! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results