shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday Cookie Recipes

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1292267615|2795761 said:
Well, I meant to post a pic of how the shortbread looked when it was baked. I waited until it was cool (tasting only a small piece, naturally...) and here's how it looks about 30 minute after you take it out of the oven:

:lol: This was hilarious Jen. Thanks for the laugh.

Skippers, besides the Snowball's I posted here, I'll male my Raspberry thumbprints, cream cheese cookies, Oatmeal raison, Hello Dollies (which is a bar), and I'd love to try a recipe for M&M cookies , only use the new coconut flavor M&M's... :lickout:

And I also want to try this new one out. I LOVE Lemon. Don't they look lovely?!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Cookie/HighTeaCookies.htm

Marcy, good to see you! :wavey:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
marcy|1292394229|2797370 said:
Skippy, gingerbread cake would be great. I love warm gingerbread with cool whip. I know what cookies you are talking about - but I don't remember what they are called. They are delicious. My mom used to make them. I will try to remember to take pictures of the cookie trays when I make them up. It's good to see you too.

My friend said they are Pecan Crescent cookies. I will post the recipe sooooon! She is sending it to me; I can't wait! hehe Cool I look forward to pics:)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippers, besides the Snowball's I posted here, I'll male my Raspberry thumbprints, cream cheese cookies, Oatmeal raison, Hello Dollies (which is a bar), and I'd love to try a recipe for M&M cookies , only use the new coconut flavor M&M's... :lickout:

And I also want to try this new one out. I LOVE Lemon. Don't they look lovely?!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Cookie/HighTeaCookies.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh yum Ellen!!!! I looked at those High tea and they look so pretty! Peez, Tell me how it goes if you do make them. :appl:

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I just whipped up a batch of Mexican Wedding Cookies from this recipe:
http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2008/12/10/heather-chittums-wedding-cookies/

You cream two sticks of butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar for seven minutes (EVERY SECOND OF IT!), then mix in a teaspoon each of vanilla and honey, then add a mixture of 2 1/4 cups of flour, 3/4 cup finely ground nuts, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mix until it just forms a ball, refrigerate at least 30 minutes, shape into little balls, and bake for about 10 minutes. Roll in powdered sugar as soon as they're cool enough to touch (or you can dust them with powdered sugar for a less-sweet cookie).

SO YUMMY! For the longest time, I didn't realize that this was what these cookies were called. I think there are also other names for them...but I just referred to them as Grandma's Christmas cookie with powdered sugar.

I also made some jam thumbprints but they're not looking so promising...hopefully they'll taste better than they look.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy the pecan crescents are the ones my mom makes too. They are delicious and very elegant looking cookies.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Octavia|1292474153|2798265 said:
http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2008/12/10/heather-chittums-wedding-cookies/

You cream two sticks of butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar for seven minutes (EVERY SECOND OF IT!), then mix in a teaspoon each of vanilla and honey, then add a mixture of 2 1/4 cups of flour, 3/4 cup finely ground nuts, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mix until it just forms a ball, refrigerate at least 30 minutes, shape into little balls, and bake for about 10 minutes. Roll in powdered sugar as soon as they're cool enough to touch (or you can dust them with powdered sugar for a less-sweet cookie).

SO YUMMY! For the longest time, I didn't realize that this was what these cookies were called. I think there are also other names for them...but I just referred to them as Grandma's Christmas cookie with powdered sugar.

I also made some jam thumbprints but they're not looking so promising...hopefully they'll taste better than they look.

Oh my gosh this sounds similar to my friends Crescent cookies. I will post the recipe too! I love those cookies!!! I will have to try your recipe! :appl:

Marcy, I agree they are so pretty and would look pretty with a cup of tea!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pecan Crescents

1 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 cups chopped pecans

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees C).
Cream butter or margarine, gradually adding confectioners' sugar and salt. Cream until light and fluffy.
Stir in pecans and vanilla. Add flour gradually. Mix well. Shape dough into crescents using a teaspoon full for each crescent. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake 15-30 minutes. Do not brown. Let cool slightly, then roll cookies in additional confectioners' sugar.

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Jennifer W|1292094610|2794342 said:
Oooh. I'd love to see some pics of the molds. How does he season them? I'm scared to mess with mine, it's so old, but the dough is starting to stick sometimes, so it must need something done to it?

Sorry for the late reply. New molds should be rubbed lightly with vegetable oil and letting it soak overnight before first use according to Mr N. Old molds can be 'washed' with a soft [new] toothbrush, making sure you go over deep cavities, never use knives/toothpicks as they may alter the design. Patience is just as effective as soap/water for removing old dough according to him lol.
Far from traditional, I made Oatmeal Shortbread today with brown sugar, hope the picture isn't to large:

12-16-10.jpg

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Skippy123|1292537964|2798928 said:

Thanks for posting that recipe Octavia & Skippy123, it is My all time favorite. I didn't know they were called Mexican Wedding Cookies too. A lady from work calls them Sweedish Tea Cakes? The recipe I use today is quite similar the dough freezes beautifully!

RussianTeaCakes.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ninna|1292553800|2799217 said:
Skippy123|1292537964|2798928 said:

Thanks for posting that recipe Octavia & Skippy123, it is My all time favorite. I didn't know they were called Mexican Wedding Cookies too. A lady from work calls them Sweedish Tea Cakes? The recipe I use today is quite similar the dough freezes beautifully!

Oh those are so BEAUTIFUL!!! Agh, now for sure I am going to make them!!! Did you use pecans or walnuts? I am not sure which nut I want to use. The are such elegant cookies so I can see why she calls them tea cookies; thanks for letting us know about the dough freezing well!

Your shortbread looks beautiful too!!! You make beautiful cookies Ninna :appl:

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Skippy, I've used both pecans and walnuts and both work beautifully. I've also heard that hazelnuts are yummy in them, but I haven't tried those. The nut flavor is fairly subtle, so I think unless you have a strong preference for one or another, any nut you have on hand would probably do!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ninna|1292552740|2799208 said:
Jennifer W|1292094610|2794342 said:
Oooh. I'd love to see some pics of the molds. How does he season them? I'm scared to mess with mine, it's so old, but the dough is starting to stick sometimes, so it must need something done to it?

Sorry for the late reply. New molds should be rubbed lightly with vegetable oil and letting it soak overnight before first use according to Mr N. Old molds can be 'washed' with a soft [new] toothbrush, making sure you go over deep cavities, never use knives/toothpicks as they may alter the design. Patience is just as effective as soap/water for removing old dough according to him lol.
Far from traditional, I made Oatmeal Shortbread today with brown sugar, hope the picture isn't to large:

Oooh, that looks delicious. Thanks for the info on the moulds- I think I'll clean and oil them tonight and bake tomorrow. I know the mould isn't new, but it's got pretty dried out.

ETA the patterns are beautiful.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay I made some biscochitos and I will upload pics tomorrow!!! :saint: Anyone have a chocolate fudgey cookie recipe??
I am slowly making these cookies. hehe

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I tried my aunt's shortbread recipe yesterday and I hate to say this, but it's better than my grandmother's.
Just a bit of a tweak on the same idea, but it gave a crumbly, crisp result that's absolutely right.

3/4lb butter
1 cup all purpose flour (plain)
1 cup cake flour (self raising)
1 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup caster sugar +1/4 to sprinkle on top.

Mix flours and sugar, then rub in the butter. Pack into a tray or mould and press down lightly. Prick all over with a fork, going right to the bottom. Bake for as long as possible at 150 celsius until it's crisp, dry and crunchy all the way through.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Octavia|1292627117|2799905 said:
Skippy, I've used both pecans and walnuts and both work beautifully. I've also heard that hazelnuts are yummy in them, but I haven't tried those. The nut flavor is fairly subtle, so I think unless you have a strong preference for one or another, any nut you have on hand would probably do!

That is a good idea to do both Octavia!!! :bigsmile: thanks!!!

Here are my biscochitos. Now 2 more cookies to bake. Biscochitos are easy to freeze already made, just an fyi.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hang on, I am not good at this upload pic thing, sorry. I think I did it. :saint: Yay I did it. Okay the recipe is on page 1 for Biscochitos.

IMG_5340.JPG

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Skippy for bumping and starting this thread. I've been making the Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies since the year that this thread started. This year, I am making 4 of the recipes. Double chocolate peppermint, snickerdoodles, lime meltaway, peanut butter blossom with grape jelly instead of chocolate (I was thinking peanut butter and jelly, so hopefully it will turn out yummy). I am also making a chocolate chip oatmeal, and maybe a sugar cookie. I made the double chocolate peppermint and snickerdoodles already, the doughs for the lime meltaway and peanut butter blossom are in the freezer, ready to be cut and baked.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Skippy, these look really rather good. I hate to say it, but I'm going to have to bake again. :bigsmile:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
qtiekiki|1292878619|2801999 said:
Thank you Skippy for bumping and starting this thread. I've been making the Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies since the year that this thread started. This year, I am making 4 of the recipes. Double chocolate peppermint, snickerdoodles, lime meltaway, peanut butter blossom with grape jelly instead of chocolate (I was thinking peanut butter and jelly, so hopefully it will turn out yummy). I am also making a chocolate chip oatmeal, and maybe a sugar cookie. I made the double chocolate peppermint and snickerdoodles already, the doughs for the lime meltaway and peanut butter blossom are in the freezer, ready to be cut and baked.
qtiekiki, post pics if you get a chance; sounds like you are going to make some YUMMY ones!! :bigsmile:
I need to make those lime meltaways! I am glad you have made so many cookies; I just now looked through this thread and saw so many Wonderful recipes I forgot about!!! I didn't realize how many cookie pics I posted either!! LOL :bigsmile: Try Mrs. Salvo's pb fudge sometimes. I might have to repost the recipe here. I don't think it is posted in here.

ETA: Here is here recipe from this thread [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/easy-peanut-butter-fudge.74197/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/easy-peanut-butter-fudge.74197/[/URL]

I posted pictures of her PB fudge and it is DELICIOUS and EASY :lickout:

1 cup butter, plus more for greasing pan
1 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound powdered sugar

Microwave butter and peanut butter for 2 minutes on high. Stir and microwave on high for 2 more minutes. Add vanilla and powdered sugar to peanut butter mixture and stir to combine with a wooden spoon. Pour into a buttered 8 by 8-inch pan lined with waxed paper. Place a second piece of waxed paper on the surface of the fudge and refrigerate until cool. Cut into 1-inch pieces and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vanishing Oatmeal (chocolate chip or raisin) Cookies

Ingredients
1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 6 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
3 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 cup raisins (I use Chocolate chips instead) :cheeky:

Preparation
Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Add oats and raisins; mix well.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time Time: 08 min

Yield
4 DOZEN

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1292881053|2802038 said:
Skippy, these look really rather good. I hate to say it, but I'm going to have to bake again. :bigsmile:

Jennifer if you make them; pls let me know what you think. :cheeky: Happy Baking!! :wavey:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I forgot I made these one Holiday and they didn't last long because I ate most of them as I was making them! :Up_to_something:

Peanut Butter Balls

Ingredients:
2 c. crushed graham crackers
2 c. powdered sugar
2 c. peanut butter (creamy or chunky, your choice)
1/4 c. butter (barely melted in the microwave)
Dipping chocolate

Mix together the first 4 ingredients as you would a pie crust. Chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.

Melt the dipping chocolate. Roll peanut butter mixture into small balls, and dip into the chocolate. Allow to set on wax paper. Chill until served.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
bump for more recipes. :bigsmile: Happy happy baking!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my cookie plate. They were devoured quickly.

cookies.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a recipe somewhere for almond crescents that is very similar to Skippy's recipe for pecan crescents and "The Washington Post" recipe for Mexican wedding cookies. I think it is possible that I already posted it another year, though, since it used to be one of my standard Christmas cookies when I baked a lot of them every year. The nice thing about the almonds is that if you keep grinding the nuts, you wind up with marzipan!!!

Didn't someone once post a recipe for Key Lime cookies?

Deb/AGBF
:read:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to post a link to a 2006 cookie thread rather than to reprint any of the recipes in this thread. If you are interested in Mexican Wedding Cookies, take a look at the varieties posted in this thread by LdyNghtWng , however! They include amaretto flavor, a chocolate dip, and a cocoa flavored crescent! (I never saw my almond crescent recipe posted.)

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/holiday-morsels.54109/?hilit=almond']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/holiday-morsels.54109/?hilit=almond[/URL] crescent

Deb/AGBF

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
marcy|1293837613|2811264 said:
Here is my cookie plate. They were devoured quickly.

Those are so Pretty Marcy!!!!! :appl:

Deb, thank you; I didn't know that thread existed. The Key Lime meltaways are on page 1 Firegoddess posted those :))

Here are some cookies my Sisters MIL put together! They are oreos split and then she dipped a cherry in chocolate and placed it on the cookie and added the almonds and kisses. Then used tweezers to put the holly and berry. Super cute :bigsmile: An Idea for next year!

IMG_5354.JPG

IMG_5355.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy-

Thank you for the hint on where to find the Key Lime meltaways...and oh my gosh, those mice are the most adorable things I have ever seen!!! I wish I had seen them when I had a young child!!!

Just today my daughter (with whom I saw the movie, "Elf" for the first time last night when her two older cousins came down to visit and brought their own copy of it with them) said she wished she had seen "Elf" when she was 6 or 7. I wish she could have seen the mice cookies at that age, too! But I guess we always weep for lost innocence, don't we?

At any rate, the mice are simply divine! Thank you for sharing that picture!!! I am sure there will be other children in my life who would be charmed by mice cookies!!!

Hugs,
Deb

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb, we can stay kids at heart!!! I am glad she enjoyed ELF; that is a fantastic movie!! I think next year I will try to make the mice; I thought they were so cute when I saw them. Hope you had a Wonderful Holiday :wavey:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy, the mice are adorable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results