shape
carat
color
clarity

High end crossbody handbag recommendations please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dior's Oud Ispahan for me today. Wow, this stuff is stroooong.

I heard Dior's upper-end line will be getting something like 12 new additions. Looking forward to trying them, although their most recent attempts haven't wowed me. :tongue:

I have Ambre Nuit ( a honkerette bottle) which I love, I heard they're adding more too, let me know when you get to try them!

I've also been looking for a high end crossbody bag that I can use daily and for traveling. My daily crossbody bags don't fit enough for traveling and I don't feel comfortable/safe bringing something too high end. I saw a lady on a flight with this LV crossbody.
https://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/products/south-bank-besace-damier-ebene-nvprod620389v
It's not too big but still fits a decent amount, and it has zippers plus inner and outer pockets. Super functional! I'm thinking of getting it myself. Care to be bag twins? ;)2

Nice find Carebear!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like MZ Wallace. They're nylon with leather trim, so super light weight, and have a million configurations. Tumi is also good, albeit less pretty. I have a Paige (old version) and an Abbey X Body (though that's been sitting unused in bag with tags since I bought it...it's almost too small for me.) Longchamps makes excellent bags in both Nylon and Leather.

I only buy navy bags, and occasionally tan bags, both with Gold HW, and that's it. MZ Wallace changes colors quarterly, and had Navy with Gold last fall, but hasn't had it again since. Which is irritating to me.

I bought and returned unused an LV Pochette Metis in Empriente--it just would not be functional, and was heavy as hell. Not to mention, I'd be scared shitless to damage it. I've also really liked leather bags from Linea Pelle, but again, leather is heavy. I will never EVER pay for LV non leather bags. They are UGLY AS **** in my opinion, not to mentioned way too expensive for a plastic purse. The leather bags are still stupid overpriced, but they're at least leather. The only leather I buy from them is Empriente. I sold the wallet I had, it was Epi and just seemed so fragile.

I haven't found many I really like in leather because they don't have shapes or compartments that I like and need. So far the MZW has been the one I've carried straight for over 2 years.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy a lot of Oroton bags - Aussie company they tend to pop up on the arms of US movies stars and a Kardashian/Jenner or two or three and a Royal or two have worn them, most recently Meghan Markle and one of the Jenner girls;

https://www.oroton.com.au/shop/women-bags-crossbody

I also look out for and buy up and coming new designers that make quirky, or unique or vintage looking bags.

meghan_article_banner1-desktop.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy a lot of Oroton bags - Aussie company they tend to pop up on the arms of US movies stars and a Kardashian/Jenner or two or three and a Royal or two have worn them, most recently Meghan Markle and one of the Jenner girls;

https://www.oroton.com.au/shop/women-bags-crossbody

I also look out for and buy up and coming new designers that make quirky, or unique or vintage looking bags.

meghan_article_banner1-desktop.jpg

Gorgeous bags, Oroton.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy you know how practical I am. I sold a lot of my LV bags and have kept only my favorites. This is the only small cross body that I like using anymore. Louis Vuitton Epi small Alma. I will look up some of my new favorites. I honestly don’t buy anything other than LV but I buy new bags so rarely now. It is a small structured bag with a solid bottom and little feet. I can send you more pics. It has an extra thick strap because I find thicker straps more comfortable. I don’t really like the LV monogram canvas styles anymore. I definitely prefer the styles that are all leather. This style is still being made but probably no longer in this navy color. Any bag I buy must be durable, not show wear, stains, pretty much waterproof, nothing that will change color, structured bottom or colllapse when I put stuff in it.

This looks wonderful - really perfect balance between stylish and practical. Looks great on you!

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@missy - I think it's really important to decide what you need in a bag. Do you like a narrow depth but long bag? These lay flat against the body but are harder to get something out of the bottom. Do you prefer a wider bag with more depth? These can be more functional for getting things in and out of your bag but it will stick out a bit more from your body. Does it need to have handles as well as a strap and if so, do these handles need to fold down when not in use? A lot of women like bags with magnetic closures or or ones that are open at the top or do you prefer a zipper. How many interior pockets do you need, if any? You sound like you don't carry much so you won't need anything too big but it's still important to determine what is important to you and the maximum of what you need to carry. Trust me, I've gone through a lot of duds before I found the right one.

My LV Alma BB is on the truck for delivery as I type this. It's a bit small for me but I thought I would give it a try for the summer. I'll have to downsize my wallet. This will be my first item in the Epi leather. I have read in numerous reviews it is very durable and water resistant. I would have ordered the Alba PM but that size is not available in Epi leather on their website.

I am currently carrying the LV Sienna PM. It's in Damier Ebene coated canvas. This is the perfect size for me. I did a lot of research and size comparisons to my Coach Prairie Satchel to determine what was best for me. This is the most functional bag I own. It is not the prettiest but it's still an attractive bag which is important to me. It's very classic looking. I can carry it as a crossbody if I wish but generally I take the strap off and just carry it as a handbag. My one complaint, I wish the handles were a tiny bit longer. This was my first LV. I was always indifferent to Louis Vuitton although many either love or hate LV (see comment from @ame above). A friend of mine has the Neverfull and what amazed me was how lightweight and how good it looks even after years of continuous use. I personally prefer the look of coated canvas compared to nylon. It has a more refined look.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a bad experience with LV and thought I would share. I had an Artsy MM and after a year of use the top canvas began to split. It really looks awful. I took it back to LV and after speaking to a sales person and the manager, they decided to do NOTHING. The manager said that constant use for a year would do that. It was a $2000 bag. I won't buy another, that's for sure.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also eyeing the pochette Metis in the empriente I linked that for Missy. It’s a gorgeous bag irl. I may have to consider it.
Me too. I'm on the waiting list for the reverse canvas. I like that it's a bit different than the norm. Or, I may just give up and get empriente in either the noir or créme (but I worry about jeans rubbing color on to it).

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had a bad experience with LV and thought I would share. I had an Artsy MM and after a year of use the top canvas began to split. It really looks awful. I took it back to LV and after speaking to a sales person and the manager, they decided to do NOTHING. The manager said that constant use for a year would do that. It was a $2000 bag. I won't buy another, that's for sure.

That’s terrible! You would think a bag that expensive would be made better and that they would have better customer service. I’ll be keeping am eye on my Sienna to see how it wears. Thanks for the heads up.

It’s funny, the best bag I have ever carried was the Coach Prairie Satchel. It almost felt like it was indestructable. It’s black leather and it’s the older style from a few years back. I bought the oxblood colour last fall and it wasn’t wearing as well although I have heard that colour leather doesn’t wear as well period. I just found the Prairie Satchel just a tiny bit too small.

Reactions: ame

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read in various forums that some people have had problems with the LV canvas material. I personally haven't, but I also haven't bought their canvas bags in over 10 years. With regard to LV's responses to the problems, again that has been varied, from what I've read. So to people who are considering canvas pieces, and some are just very beautiful, I would recommend that you get pieces that are inherently more protected from wear by design, such as flat bottoms with feet, structured sides with seams rather than folded. Softer, less structured bags may show more wear in a shorter amount of time. There are people who don't care and expect a bag to show wear, and some people who do. I do have one men's canvas tote in damier (the dark color) left and I've had it for at least 15 years now. It's a tank. Maybe I got lucky. The dark color does not show wear, unless I examine it up close and specifically at the folded corners. No tearing, or lose seams, or discoloration or anything. I kept waiting for the bag to break before I bought a new bag. I shove so much stuff into it, and throw it around, (still do) and nothing. I broke down and bought multiple new bags anyway. I think with LV canvas bags, it's a hit or miss.

My philosophy on high end bags is like jewelry. I have to feel something when I put it on, but it has to be very durable and practical so I can use it every single day, and show minimal wear and tear, without much babying. I don't mean I would drag it on concrete and gravel and expect nothing to happen to it. But, I need to be able to put in on floors and counters and get it wet (not throw it into a washing machine but if it started to rain, I'm not going to worry about messing it up) and resist staining. I'm clumsy and will get a pen mark or smear or rub it against something oily. I don't want those stains to show. The material needs to hide that. Over time, it is inevitable that it will show wear, and if it does after 10-15 years, it is just a bag that is well loved. My mom had an Epi key holder that is discolored and dirty but it still holds its shape and functions. I use it now. Between the two of us, we have used it for about 40 years. So that is what I look for in a high end piece. Over time, I like my pieces to look used, so I use them. I don't want pristine, but I don't want ripping apart at the seams either. I want still neat looking, and serving its function. Over time, leather softens so Epi pieces will soften over time, but will still remain relatively stiffer than most leathers. It's striations are horizontal, and you will get scratches that go vertically. You have to be ok with that. If you are, you will get to enjoy a beautiful piece for many years. I have only four remaining Epi bags and I will keep these pieces forever.

With that said, my new love is the empriente line with LV. I have only one large bag and one wallet in that line. I am aiming to get a smaller bag. I know they may be a bit heavy as it is completely leather. To mitigate the weight issue, I will probably need to compromise in the size department. I'll post the one I'm really eyeing, and my old Epi key holder.
Have fun Missy. This is a fun thread. Thanks for sharing your journey and letting us share too.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too. I'm on the waiting list for the reverse canvas. I like that it's a bit different than the norm. Or, I may just give up and get empriente in either the noir or créme (but I worry about jeans rubbing color on to it).
I can't get anything even close to white or ivory. It won't last me a day.:roll2:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
40 years on this 6 key holder in Epi. I have such affection for it. I think of my Mom every time I see it. I think it’s still in great shape.
AE4F0393-E22A-4885-B9D4-689E40D68994.jpeg 0099A609-5C04-4802-8655-3CA4644A9EF7.jpeg
I am eyeing this one.
39DC80D9-2485-4E1A-AE33-CFC566677805.png
ED10019F-64F8-4500-A750-E5B9AEAA8CAF.png 5A3732FB-6B10-493E-A6A7-F7B18AB46E26.png
Or the speedy 20. Gotta try them IRL a lot more times.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This looks wonderful - really perfect balance between stylish and practical. Looks great on you!
Thanks @mrs-b I really liked the look of it and I had always wanted an Alma BB. It’s a little more structured than I prefer to carry on a daily basis now. My preferences have changed as I’ve gotten older. =)2 I’m open to a little softer look, but still inherently structured in function.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I loved that PM til I had it. When I put my things in it, it just felt like it weighed a million pounds. I loved how it was compartmentalized but it ended up being totally impractical with much in it. It had to be really well organized with a few little bags or things were bulging badly.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a large bag in this leather and a wallet and it’s very durable and sturdy yet flexible enough for easy use. If I were to buy another LV, I would only consider this line among its many lines.
23643173-3B9F-450B-A09E-504692F9754F.jpeg 783041B5-0A16-4072-8BD4-EA7E7A2A5D48.jpeg
What is this line called? Never seen embossed LV bags before.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom - I love your black bag. Is it the Mazarine PM? It's very similar in styling to the Sienna. I love the Pochette Metis. I love it in the Marine Rouge. Your key holder has held up well. What a sweet sentiment that it makes you think of your mom.

I bought a Iena PM in Damier Azur for the summer. I wanted lightweight and casual. I am under no illusions that I won't get colour transfer from my jeans but I'll only be using it for approximately 4 months a year so I'm not too worried. I'll also be treating the leather handles and bits to slow down the patina process.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved that PM til I had it. When I put my things in it, it just felt like it weighed a million pounds. I loved how it was compartmentalized but it ended up being totally impractical with much in it. It had to be really well organized with a few little bags or things were bulging badly.
Yes @ame I will need to actually wear it and try it to see if it works on a daily basis. That is why I am also thinking about the speedy 20. I tried that too and it’s super cute. Just not sure if I want “cute”.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom - I love your black bag. Is it the Mazarine PM? It's very similar in styling to the Sienna. I love the Pochette Metis. I love it in the Marine Rouge. Your key holder has held up well. What a sweet sentiment that it makes you think of your mom.

I bought a Iena PM in Damier Azur for the summer. I wanted lightweight and casual. I am under no illusions that I won't get colour transfer from my jeans but I'll only be using it for approximately 4 months a year so I'm not too worried. I'll also be treating the leather handles and bits to slow down the patina process.
Hi @Poodles4me it is The Mazarine MM. I got a bigger size because I use it for work and throw my lunch in there. Fits scarves or extra clothes. But I really loved the PM as well. Yeah, also like the Sienna. My mom has that. I love the double zipper across the top. So functional.
It’s great that you take good care of your pieces. I should but I am lazy so my punishment is that I don’t get to use light colored pieces. The azur pieces are lovely.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @Poodles4me it is The Mazarine MM. I got a bigger size because I use it for work and throw my lunch in there. Fits scarves or extra clothes. But I really loved the PM as well. Yeah, also like the Sienna. My mom has that. I love the double zipper across the top. So functional.
It’s great that you take good care of your pieces. I should but I am lazy so my punishment is that I don’t get to use light colored pieces. The azur pieces are lovely.

Thanks - I'll have to enquire if the PM will be available again soon. There are only 2 colours on the website and both are out of stock. Maybe I'll be lucky and it will be available in Marine Rouge at some point. I would be doing cartwheels if the Siena was available in Empriente leather. You can see a pattern here - I like what I like and am hesitant to change (lol).

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Empriente
@baby monster I love pebbles leather but I don’t find it in stylish derivations often. LVs version is very much my style.
Is it heavy? I love embossed bags and almost got Guccissima large tote but decided it was too heavy with all my stuff inside.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks - I'll have to enquire if the PM will be available again soon. There are only 2 colours on the website and both are out of stock. Maybe I'll be lucky and it will be available in Marine Rouge at some point. I would be doing cartwheels if the Siena was available in Empriente leather. You can see a pattern here - I like what I like and am hesitant to change (lol).
My understanding is that they discontinued the Mazarine in empriente. The only way is to go to a store and see if they can track one down for you and ship it to you. It’s worth a try.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it heavy? I love embossed bags and almost got Guccissima large tote but decided it was too heavy with all my stuff inside.
I think it depends. To me, for a full leather bag, of the size I have it is not heavy. I have a smaller full lamb skin Miu Miu bag that weighs twice as much empty. But I realize everyone is different. I think you would need to try it and see. It doesn’t have a lot of hardware so that helps.

Smores84

Shiny_Rock
Strathberry-East_West-Burgundy_2321f89f-e8fd-455d-9a7c-3ddf945ee5f0.jpg
Strathberry? $660

Smores84

Shiny_Rock
Valentino.jpg Valentino
mulberry.jpg Mulberry
m_55bac613c46d1f6af6000941.jpg Chloe
Givenchy.jpg Givenchy
gucci-bag-6.jpg Gucci
celine.jpg Celine
in-stock-11-louis-vuitton-pochette-métis-m40780-monogram-canvas-2.jpeg LV

Q

Queenie60

I'm quite surprised that they did nothing. I had a small top zipper bag a few years ago and when the zipper split I took the bag back and they immediately replaced it. I'm sorry for the misfortune.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm quite surprised that they did nothing. I had a small top zipper bag a few years ago and when the zipper split I took the bag back and they immediately replaced it. I'm sorry for the misfortune.

I have heard from a couple of people that nothing was done after the canvas split. Both were in Houston. I definitely don't recommend the canvas that isn't piped in leather or has a zipper. The folded canvas will split. But I was quite angry at the customer service. You would think they would stand behind their product. Live and learn.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your suggestions and thoughts and advice. Appreciate it and will respond when I have time but just wanted to say thank you. I am a sucker for Chanel vintage and was hoping I could find a Chanel crossbody in good shape but so far no luck. But I love all your suggestions and am pursuing each one of them. Loving this thread and everyone's generous sharing. Thank you.
taverymuch.gif

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, if I were to spend $2000 for a purse, it's gonna be leather.

Lol, I probably won't spend that much again. I would much rather have jewelry! And it's one thing my husband and I agree on - jewelry is a better deal than a handbag, lol!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results