shape
carat
color
clarity

high basket vs prong, pave vs channel, and designers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pannini

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am new to Pricescope, so please bear with me for my naive questions.

These are my favorites:

Been looking at websites, went to some shops, and come to the conclusion that I love the
DeBeers Forever with pave ering, but it is pricey and they don't allow our own diamonds which gives the customer little freedom in personalizing their diamond preference. I just love the look of the prongs, though. here

and
love the Ritani Classic erings with pave settings, but the ring is so thin, I want something slightly wider. here
Then recently went to Derco in SF (where I live), and found one of their erings with a high basket and channel setting (really small, like 12 RB at 0.17 carats that go about halfway around band).

Ultimately I am also in love with the custom designed ring one of the PS users posted from Whiteflash here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-are-your-thoughts-on-this-white-flash-custom-design.91099/

I really love the PS poster's whiteflash ering because it resembles the Cartier basket design, while still embracing the DeBeers Forever look. I ultimately would want DERCO to do the ring similar to the Whiteflash one, because I love the look of the Whiteflash basket and prong design. What is the etiquette with discussing these things with a DERCO designer? Can I show them the CAD and photos of the basket? Is the basket setting in the PS posting a "high basket?" The gentleman at DERCO said high baskets are the only basket settings made to allow a wedding band to sit flush with an ering, which is what I would like! But, I prefer the diamond to be set as low as possible like in the PS posting, because I don't like the look of erings with diamonds that stick out too much, it just looks weird to me.

Are there variations in basket designs?

Is bead channel a happy medium between a pave and a channel setting? I like the clean and sparkly clarity of the channel setting at DERCO, which were tiny channel rbs, but I've heard from many postings here that it is not a preferred look. So many people want pave, and I love pave, but it feels busy to me. I've heard of bead channel, but what is it really?

Sorry for all these mixed questions, I am a bit confused and picky maybe?

Would love suggestions, defintions, images, experiences with DERCO designers, opinions of whether WF is better than DERCO, etc.

I've been looking at everything here in past postings, and my eyes are tired. Found nothing that really answered my own questions directly!

Thanks much.
17.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi pannini and welcome. I have never seen a Derco custom setting in person so I cannot give you advice on who to go with. I can say that Whiteflash is a very beloved vendor on this forum and has earned their reputation. They are also very used to picky pricescopers and would not be offended or think you are crazy for giving them all the details you are wanting in your setting. Many folks have worked with them long distance. I would say if you love the look of the WF setting than why not just go with them? but, again I don''t have any experience with Derco. hopefully some others with firsthand knowledge of them will chime in.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto, I might just go with WF if I were you since the design you like is similar to a previous ring and they would definitely get this project right. As far as baskets go, they do need to be a bit higher to allow a wedding band to sit flush, and they also need to taper inwards towards the bottom rather than being a square base.

pannini

Shiny_Rock
Hm. I am tempted to go with WF now, just worried that they are far, I am comforted by a designer that is within my reach....

Still need to know if I want a channel setting with tiny rb diamonds, or if a bead channel or pave is better.... I don''t know if I''ll ever know.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results