shape
carat
color
clarity

Hiding Inclusions

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
If inclusions are near the edge of a diamond, can they be hidden with a prong? Or does the inclusion compromise the integrity of the diamond enough that putting a prong there could be problematic?

I came across this diamond and was wondering how possible it is to cover an inclusion like this one:

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
If inclusions are near the edge of a diamond, can they be hidden with a prong? Or does the inclusion compromise the integrity of the diamond enough that putting a prong there could be problematic?

I came across this diamond and was wondering how possible it is to cover an inclusion like this one:
My response is unhelpful because I don’t know enough yet about how inclusions affect integrity.
Sadly I’ve found that most experts don’t come to the man made threads but hopefully someone can provide you with some good knowledge and feedback.

Out of curiosity. What is the clarity grading and what kind of inclusion does the certificate say it is?

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Do you know what type of inclusion? Is this CVD stone or HPHT stone?

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
The clarity is SI2. The inclusions are described as: feathers, crystals, pinpoints. I can only pick out the big one on the bottom edge and the two smaller ones on the side edge and a few random teeny tiny dots. I feel like it could be a really pretty diamond if the inclusions could be masked by the prongs. And it's massive, over three carats for less than $10,000. It's "I" color.

My response is unhelpful because I don’t know enough yet about how inclusions affect integrity.
Sadly I’ve found that most experts don’t come to the man made threads but hopefully someone can provide you with some good knowledge and feedback.

Out of curiosity. What is the clarity grading and what kind of inclusion does the certificate say it is?

It is a CVD stone.

Do you know what type of inclusion? Is this CVD stone or HPHT stone?

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
The clarity is SI2. The inclusions are described as: feathers, crystals, pinpoints. I can only pick out the big one on the bottom edge and the two smaller ones on the side edge and a few random teeny tiny dots. I feel like it could be a really pretty diamond if the inclusions could be masked by the prongs. And it's massive, over three carats for less than $10,000. It's "I" color.

It is a CVD stone.
Wow! I think that’s a pretty good si2. Did you do the zoom out thing? I assume with your eye you’ll only see that one down the bottom. But I feel like a jeweller could probably put a prong over that. Hopefully someone can chime in and tell you whether that will affect the integrity but they seem like the normal inclusions listed on most diamonds and nothing people usually say to steer away from I don’t think.

Eellee44

Rough_Rock

It is a CVD stone.
After a quick google most articles say that si range is pretty safe in terms of integrity of the diamond. I would honestly take the plunge. You can always return it if you hate it!

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
After a quick google most articles say that si range is pretty safe in terms of integrity of the diamond. I would honestly take the plunge. You can always return it if you hate it!

The HCA is 1.7 and the imagery on the GCAL certificate looks pretty good. It’s twice my original budget. :lol-2: But even my husband said I should scoop it up.

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
The HCA is 1.7 and the imagery on the GCAL certificate looks pretty good. It’s twice my original budget. :lol-2: But even my husband said I should scoop it up.
All the GCAL ones with good imagery in the certificate that I’ve seen in photos after purchase have been really nice! If you think it looks good I say do it! Even your husband is on board! Lol Please come back and show us :)

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Ahhh! I ordered it. Thank you for your help! I’ll definitely post if it’s amazing or a total bust. I kind of felt like I NEEDED know. Thank goodness for free returns.

All the GCAL ones with good imagery in the certificate that I’ve seen in photos after purchase have been really nice! If you think it looks good I say do it! Even your husband is on board! Lol Please come back and show us :)

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
Ahhh! I ordered it. Thank you for your help! I’ll definitely post if it’s amazing or a total bust. I kind of felt like I NEEDED know. Thank goodness for free returns.
Oh my gosh so exciting!!
When should it arrive?

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Thursday, of course the day I go out of town to see some friends for a four day weekend. My poor husband will have to wait around to sign for it. If it works out, he thinks I should skip a halo, which I had planned to do. But I think he thinks this is going to look way bigger than it actually is.

I’m sort of feeling something like this: https://www.brilliantearth.com/Fleur-Diamond-Ring-Gold-BE1D0484-6331845/

But a little more simple / delicate. I live a couple of hours outside of LA, so I’ve been planning to go see David Klass regardless of what stone I end up with. I’m preparing to be underwhelmed, but crossing fingers!

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
Thursday, of course the day I go out of town to see some friends for a four day weekend. My poor husband will have to wait around to sign for it. If it works out, he thinks I should skip a halo, which I had planned to do. But I think he thinks this is going to look way bigger than it actually is.

I’m sort of feeling something like this: https://www.brilliantearth.com/Fleur-Diamond-Ring-Gold-BE1D0484-6331845/

But a little more simple / delicate. I live a couple of hours outside of LA, so I’ve been planning to go see David Klass regardless of what stone I end up with. I’m preparing to be underwhelmed, but crossing fingers!
Oh no! Haha will he open it and let you know what he thinks? I hope you are pleasantly surprised! That’s a beautiful setting. What size finger are you?
I have a round lab diamond that faces up the size of a 1.5 in a halo and on my size 5.5 finger I now think it looks rather small and I haven’t even gotten the chance to wear it yet lol! I think if the diamond is beautiful then it will be stunning in whatever setting you choose! So excited to see it and so excited to see how you set it if you do keep it!

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Oh no! Haha will he open it and let you know what he thinks? I hope you are pleasantly surprised! That’s a beautiful setting. What size finger are you?
I have a round lab diamond that faces up the size of a 1.5 in a halo and on my size 5.5 finger I now think it looks rather small and I haven’t even gotten the chance to wear it yet lol! I think if the diamond is beautiful then it will be stunning in whatever setting you choose! So excited to see it and so excited to see how you set it if you do keep it!

I’m not sure, he will probably at least open it, but he’s pretty blasé about the whole thing. I knew right away the other diamond I ordered was probably not the one and he said, “Looks alright to me.”

My ring size is 5.5 as well! I really think he sees a 9 carat diamond, he has trouble visualize it not zoomed in 20x. :lol-2: I think a delicate halo would set it off nicely and help hide any reflections of the inclusion.

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
I’m not sure, he will probably at least open it, but he’s pretty blasé about the whole thing. I knew right away the other diamond I ordered was probably not the one and he said, “Looks alright to me.”

My ring size is 5.5 as well! I really think he sees a 9 carat diamond, he has trouble visualize it not zoomed in 20x. :lol-2: I think a delicate halo would set it off nicely and help hide any reflections of the inclusion.
I’m on the other side of the world! Is it there yet? What day is it there? Haha ahhh I’ve been waiting and dying to see it!

Eellee44

Rough_Rock

Also agree on the delicate halo. I actually love the look of a bigger stone with a tiny halo. I am that excited for you lol

Eellee44

Rough_Rock

You’re killing me! Lol

foodie100

Rough_Rock
Oh this is exciting! I can't wait to see pictures! Sorry if I missed, but what are the specs again?

foodie100

Rough_Rock
BTW I am looking loosely at an amazing diamond on BE that has an even bigger inclusion than that. I was planning on asking here to see if it could be covered by a prong.

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
Oh this is exciting! I can't wait to see pictures! Sorry if I missed, but what are the specs again?
I know! She’s left me hanging lol. I’ve been waiting all week to see it.
it’s over 3ct Si2 I colour.
Ooo show us!!

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Hey y’all! I’m so sorry! I’ve been so busy out of town. So update! My husband decided to go camping while I was out of town so brilliant earth was amazing when I called them and they delayed shipping so it will arrive the day after I get back. It’s arriving on the 23rd. As soon as it arrives I promise to upload a ton of pictures!

3.18 carats, si2, 9.36 x 9.41

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
Hey y’all! I’m so sorry! I’ve been so busy out of town. So update! My husband decided to go camping while I was out of town so brilliant earth was amazing when I called them and they delayed shipping so it will arrive the day after I get back. It’s arriving on the 23rd. As soon as it arrives I promise to upload a ton of pictures!

3.18 carats, si2, 9.36 x 9.41
Yay for the update! Can’t wait to see it!

foodie100

Rough_Rock
I cannot believe you found a 3ct under $10K. You shouldn't be able to see any inclusions to the naked eye, and unless it really bothers YOU, won't be able to discern the color. Can't wait to see!

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I’m setting it in rose or yellow gold so I don’t think the color will be an issue! Cautiously optimistic. :lol-2:

I cannot believe you found a 3ct under $10K. You shouldn't be able to see any inclusions to the naked eye, and unless it really bothers YOU, won't be able to discern the color. Can't wait to see!

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
It’s here!!! Now someone tell me how to take decent pictures of diamonds. :lol-2: Pardon the manicure, after a whirlwind trip I was too tired to have them done. To me, it’s a sparkle bomb and faces up pretty white, whiter than the “I” oval I purchased and returned and whiter than I was expecting for an “I” in general. It wasn’t super easy to find the big inclusion, so that is definitely a positive. A prong would easily cover it. I can’t pick out any of the other inclusions without zooming my phone into 10x. There is a feather associated with the large inclusion that runs down away from it. You can see it from the side when you get really close but I couldn’t even get a picture of it. At this point, my only concern is whether a jeweler can set a prong on the inclusion. I think I feel like it’s too good to be true! I was planning on having David Klass set it, so I guess I just need to see if I need an appointment and make the drive to LA since the clock is now ticking on the return period.

CE6187F4-AF7B-43B4-8756-D030FD0B579C.jpeg
208170C8-EEE5-42F0-B249-7E01EA03B6C3.jpeg
A9EE3D92-92EE-4E3C-B9D0-ACE6AC107A6A.jpeg

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
With my E/F platinum Tiffany engagement ring. Inclusion noticeable, but still small at the 12oclock position. 4F31EB61-BCE5-4790-BC9D-D6D5AD808155.jpeg

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I’m going to try and take some video. But here are the cut stats. I just realized I forgot to list them. I will say I was also concerned about the table size, but ran the numbers through the AGS and GIA cut calculators and it made the “cut” for both Excellent & Ideal grades. The HCA was 1.7.

3.18, I, SI2
9.36 x 9.41 x 5.81mm
Depth: 61.9%
Table: 58%
Crown Angle: 35°
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°

5F72103B-0DCE-4CAF-92D2-BBF4FBC7ECF1.jpeg 0B78CC97-0F14-417D-8E8D-DA034EC891C4.jpeg 9B5B1729-C04D-4B3D-9E04-89762FAEA72F.jpeg

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
I’m going to try and take some video. But here are the cut stats. I just realized I forgot to list them. I will say I was also concerned about the table size, but ran the numbers through the AGS and GIA cut calculators and it made the “cut” for both Excellent & Ideal grades. The HCA was 1.7.

3.18, I, SI2
9.36 x 9.41 x 5.81mm
Depth: 61.9%
Table: 58%
Crown Angle: 35°
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°

5F72103B-0DCE-4CAF-92D2-BBF4FBC7ECF1.jpeg 0B78CC97-0F14-417D-8E8D-DA034EC891C4.jpeg 9B5B1729-C04D-4B3D-9E04-89762FAEA72F.jpeg
Yessss!! The update I’ve been waiting for!!

Honestly, I can’t see the inclusion because I can’t remember where it was supposed to be so in the photos I cannot find it.
I also couldn’t get any good clear photos of my diamond when I got it. Waiting for videos :)
Does it look clear and sparkly and great in person?
Will you keep it?

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
YouTube isn’t uploading any of my videos in HD. :(2 I’ll try again in a little bit. It’s so clear, I immediately notice how dirty my fingers make it.:lol-2: I need the little jewelers’ tweezers. I’m going to go see David Klass and make sure that the inclusion isn’t an issue. As long as he says it’s okay, I’m keeping it! My husband just keeps asking about the actual ring budget since I “blew the original entire budget right out of the water”. Whoops. I think once he sees the finished product he will be more excited. Maybe. Probably not. He really doesn't care about diamonds.:lol:

BTW I am looking loosely at an amazing diamond on BE that has an even bigger inclusion than that. I was planning on asking here to see if it could be covered by a prong.
Did you make a decision on this stone?

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock

I’m scared to take it outside when it’s not in the case. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results