Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Hiding Inclusions

SouthernElle

Rough_Rock
If inclusions are near the edge of a diamond, can they be hidden with a prong? Or does the inclusion compromise the integrity of the diamond enough that putting a prong there could be problematic?

I came across this diamond and was wondering how possible it is to cover an inclusion like this one:

Sponsored By:

Related topics:

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
If inclusions are near the edge of a diamond, can they be hidden with a prong? Or does the inclusion compromise the integrity of the diamond enough that putting a prong there could be problematic?

I came across this diamond and was wondering how possible it is to cover an inclusion like this one:
My response is unhelpful because I don’t know enough yet about how inclusions affect integrity.
Sadly I’ve found that most experts don’t come to the man made threads but hopefully someone can provide you with some good knowledge and feedback.

Out of curiosity. What is the clarity grading and what kind of inclusion does the certificate say it is?

SouthernElle

Rough_Rock
The clarity is SI2. The inclusions are described as: feathers, crystals, pinpoints. I can only pick out the big one on the bottom edge and the two smaller ones on the side edge and a few random teeny tiny dots. I feel like it could be a really pretty diamond if the inclusions could be masked by the prongs. And it's massive, over three carats for less than $10,000. It's "I" color.

My response is unhelpful because I don’t know enough yet about how inclusions affect integrity.
Sadly I’ve found that most experts don’t come to the man made threads but hopefully someone can provide you with some good knowledge and feedback.

Out of curiosity. What is the clarity grading and what kind of inclusion does the certificate say it is?
It is a CVD stone.

Do you know what type of inclusion? Is this CVD stone or HPHT stone?

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
The clarity is SI2. The inclusions are described as: feathers, crystals, pinpoints. I can only pick out the big one on the bottom edge and the two smaller ones on the side edge and a few random teeny tiny dots. I feel like it could be a really pretty diamond if the inclusions could be masked by the prongs. And it's massive, over three carats for less than $10,000. It's "I" color.

It is a CVD stone.
Wow! I think that’s a pretty good si2. Did you do the zoom out thing? I assume with your eye you’ll only see that one down the bottom. But I feel like a jeweller could probably put a prong over that. Hopefully someone can chime in and tell you whether that will affect the integrity but they seem like the normal inclusions listed on most diamonds and nothing people usually say to steer away from I don’t think.

Eellee44

Rough_Rock

It is a CVD stone.
After a quick google most articles say that si range is pretty safe in terms of integrity of the diamond. I would honestly take the plunge. You can always return it if you hate it!

SouthernElle

Rough_Rock
After a quick google most articles say that si range is pretty safe in terms of integrity of the diamond. I would honestly take the plunge. You can always return it if you hate it!
The HCA is 1.7 and the imagery on the GCAL certificate looks pretty good. It’s twice my original budget. :lol-2: But even my husband said I should scoop it up.

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
The HCA is 1.7 and the imagery on the GCAL certificate looks pretty good. It’s twice my original budget. :lol-2: But even my husband said I should scoop it up.
All the GCAL ones with good imagery in the certificate that I’ve seen in photos after purchase have been really nice! If you think it looks good I say do it! Even your husband is on board! Lol Please come back and show us :)

SouthernElle

Rough_Rock
Ahhh! I ordered it. Thank you for your help! I’ll definitely post if it’s amazing or a total bust. I kind of felt like I NEEDED know. Thank goodness for free returns.

All the GCAL ones with good imagery in the certificate that I’ve seen in photos after purchase have been really nice! If you think it looks good I say do it! Even your husband is on board! Lol Please come back and show us :)

SouthernElle

Rough_Rock
Thursday, of course the day I go out of town to see some friends for a four day weekend. My poor husband will have to wait around to sign for it. If it works out, he thinks I should skip a halo, which I had planned to do. But I think he thinks this is going to look way bigger than it actually is.

I’m sort of feeling something like this: https://www.brilliantearth.com/Fleur-Diamond-Ring-Gold-BE1D0484-6331845/

But a little more simple / delicate. I live a couple of hours outside of LA, so I’ve been planning to go see David Klass regardless of what stone I end up with. I’m preparing to be underwhelmed, but crossing fingers!

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
Thursday, of course the day I go out of town to see some friends for a four day weekend. My poor husband will have to wait around to sign for it. If it works out, he thinks I should skip a halo, which I had planned to do. But I think he thinks this is going to look way bigger than it actually is.

I’m sort of feeling something like this: https://www.brilliantearth.com/Fleur-Diamond-Ring-Gold-BE1D0484-6331845/

But a little more simple / delicate. I live a couple of hours outside of LA, so I’ve been planning to go see David Klass regardless of what stone I end up with. I’m preparing to be underwhelmed, but crossing fingers!
Oh no! Haha will he open it and let you know what he thinks? I hope you are pleasantly surprised! That’s a beautiful setting. What size finger are you?
I have a round lab diamond that faces up the size of a 1.5 in a halo and on my size 5.5 finger I now think it looks rather small and I haven’t even gotten the chance to wear it yet lol! I think if the diamond is beautiful then it will be stunning in whatever setting you choose! So excited to see it and so excited to see how you set it if you do keep it!

SouthernElle

Rough_Rock
Oh no! Haha will he open it and let you know what he thinks? I hope you are pleasantly surprised! That’s a beautiful setting. What size finger are you?
I have a round lab diamond that faces up the size of a 1.5 in a halo and on my size 5.5 finger I now think it looks rather small and I haven’t even gotten the chance to wear it yet lol! I think if the diamond is beautiful then it will be stunning in whatever setting you choose! So excited to see it and so excited to see how you set it if you do keep it!
I’m not sure, he will probably at least open it, but he’s pretty blasé about the whole thing. I knew right away the other diamond I ordered was probably not the one and he said, “Looks alright to me.”

My ring size is 5.5 as well! I really think he sees a 9 carat diamond, he has trouble visualize it not zoomed in 20x. :lol-2: I think a delicate halo would set it off nicely and help hide any reflections of the inclusion.

Eellee44

Rough_Rock
I’m not sure, he will probably at least open it, but he’s pretty blasé about the whole thing. I knew right away the other diamond I ordered was probably not the one and he said, “Looks alright to me.”

My ring size is 5.5 as well! I really think he sees a 9 carat diamond, he has trouble visualize it not zoomed in 20x. :lol-2: I think a delicate halo would set it off nicely and help hide any reflections of the inclusion.
I’m on the other side of the world! Is it there yet? What day is it there? Haha ahhh I’ve been waiting and dying to see it!

Eellee44

Rough_Rock

Also agree on the delicate halo. I actually love the look of a bigger stone with a tiny halo. I am that excited for you lol

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

JEWELRY BLOG

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.