shape
carat
color
clarity

Hey guys, what do we think here

SteveScao

Rough_Rock
I have two diamonds, and I think they're both gorgeous, and seem to check out with numbers.

Price difference is my biggest concern of $3000...

Diamond 1:

1.5ct
D
SI1
1683309390019.png
1683309409338.png

Scores HCA 1 - TIC - triple excellent

Diamond 2:

1.25ct
H
VS 2
1683309548627.png
1683309567391.png

Scores HCA 0.9 - TIC - triple excellent

What do you think guys...?

Is a 0.3mm difference in width and height size and the D color worth it?

Opinions?

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Comparable Gia XXX 1.5ct D SI diamonds seem to be going for 13k (Medium flour) to 14k (faint flour). Compared to $7700 for the 1.25ct H VS2, it seems like a decent deal for a $3000 difference.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like the look of the first one.

I'd put both on hold and then let us see the videos

SteveScao

Rough_Rock
I don't like the look of the first one.

I'd put both on hold and then let us see the videos

Sure, here they are!

Diamond 1:
The inclusion on this diamond is favorable as it makes it more personal. She has a nevus, or that beauty mark dot in her iris in one of her eyes, which would make this a little more romantic.

But, I'm here for objective options.

Diamond 2:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Neither one is that great.
The 1.25 has a largish amount of pavilion lowers twist.
The 1.5 less so but some.
The prosumers can help find you better ones.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to say that neither floats my boat...what is your budget?

There has got to be something better that falls in between the two specs-wise but with a better cut.

SteveScao

Rough_Rock
I was going to say that neither floats my boat...what is your budget?

There has got to be something better that falls in between the two specs-wise but with a better cut.

Around 11 for the diamond, really thought I did my research enough here for these to be good enough for this forum's evaluation..

SteveScao

Rough_Rock
Neither one is that great.
The 1.25 has a largish amount of pavilion lowers twist.
The 1.5 less so but some.
The prosumers can help find you better ones.

Hmm, what does that mean exactly?

"largish amount of pavilion lowers twist?"

I thought everything checked out.. Decent arrows, HCA, and angles?

Sigh. This is rough.

EDIT:

They even had an ideal scope image of the D diamond that they accidently flashed during inspection and I had them sent to me - even though it's not a JA H&A:
arrows.png

All this info and you guys are giving me it's a "decent?" :(

So sad :(

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hmm, what does that mean exactly?

"largish amount of pavilion lowers twist?"

I thought everything checked out.. Decent arrows, HCA, and angles?

Sigh. This is rough.
Its a newish way to game grading systems.
Well its old but cutting processes have gotten good enough they can pull it off more is newish.
What they do is vary the pavilion angles then twist the lowers in 3d space to save the EX symmetry grade that would not be possible without the twist.
You look for variation between the arrows to see it.
The cutter that does it the most is cutting GIA rounded 55 stars on everything, even stuff they should not.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get one of these instead. Super ideal cut with guaranteed light performance and a much better upgrade policy.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The 1.5 IS shows it was painting/digging that was causing the distortion, with just a video when you see distortions its a guess what is causing them exactly.
I was 60/40 twist or painting digging.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
If you don’t mind strong blue Flour, this 1.33ct D color VS2 brian gavin black diamond looks like an option to consider at under 11.5k. They seem to be running an 8% sale right now too?

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
The 1.5 IS shows it was painting/digging that was causing the distortion, with just a video when you see distortions its a guess what is causing them exactly.
I was 60/40 twist or painting digging.

Does this change/improve your evaluation of the 1.5ct diamond option?

SteveScao

Rough_Rock
If you don’t mind strong blue Flour, this 1.33ct D color VS2 brian gavin black diamond looks like an option to consider at under 11.5k. They seem to be running an 8% sale right now too?

Thank you for the suggestion.

I would prefer none.

The D color is also not a MUST, it would just be nice for her to know she has the "best" on some scale which, I know, I know, is a scam. Just bragging rights. She'd be happy with a .50ct I diamond, I just want to do this right the first time, without really considering upgrades.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Another option should be the following H color 1.3ct brian signature, 10% off from their discover the final series sale — so under 11k.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the suggestion.

I would prefer none.

The D color is also not a MUST, it would just be nice for her to know she has the "best" on some scale which, I know, I know, is a scam. Just bragging rights. She'd be happy with a .50ct I diamond, I just want to do this right the first time, without really considering upgrades.

Not a scam but I would make sure she has the best in terms of cut quality! It makes a difference. Check out the Whiteflash or Brian Gavin diamonds and get superior light performance and cut quality. Makes far more difference than color!

SteveScao

Rough_Rock
Not a scam but I would make sure she has the best in terms of cut quality! It makes a difference. Check out the Whiteflash or Brian Gavin diamonds and get superior light performance and cut quality. Makes far more difference than color!

Right, I will do that, but, I'm trying to understand what I did wrong or what's really wrong with the two I have here.

I don't want to just forfeit my cash to ACA, Brian Gavin Black, due to my lack of knowledge of what went wrong here. Essentially, I'd be paying them for the work in selecting the diamonds, as far as I understand it.

Just want to be educated a bit, I suppose. I thought I was when I picked these two.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Does this change/improve your evaluation of the 1.5ct diamond option?

There is better out there.
If it was the best that was available in someones budget it would be worth considering.

SteveScao

Rough_Rock
If it was the best that was available in someones budget it would be worth considering.

This diamond is 1.5 D without fluorescence at $11,100 is the price asked. My budget is / was ~11k

Give me a ray of hope that I would be impressed with my selection! lol

Or do you think there is similar +- $500 that would be astoundingly better?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right, I will do that, but, I'm trying to understand what I did wrong or what's really wrong with the two I have here.

I don't want to just forfeit my cash to ACA, Brian Gavin Black, due to my lack of knowledge of what went wrong here. Essentially, I'd be paying them for the work in selecting the diamonds, as far as I understand it.

Just want to be educated a bit, I suppose. I thought I was when I picked these two.

That's not accurate. WF and BGD stones are cut *for* WF and BGD according to their very exacting and stringent specifications, not just in proportions, but also in optical symmetry and light performance.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock

Certainly there is better cut but personally if this one was “very good” with Ideal 0 AGS light performance… at around 11k…

Is it worth it for him to drop from 1.5ct to under 1.3ct and sacrifice the D color to an H… all for a bit better cut and symmetry?

I don’t know the answer to that one. That’s a lot to give up. The biggest issue I had with his 1.5ct D option, which would bother me personally, is the black crystal on the table.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's not that ACAs or BGD are chosen from a pack of stones and therefore cost more. It's that they are cut to exacting proportions and therefore are of a higher quality. The ones you picked just aren't great. The proportions fall into ranges that are good, but if you look carefully and compare them to truly ideal cut stones, neither one measures up.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get one of these instead. Super ideal cut with guaranteed light performance and a much better upgrade policy.

If you look at these vs the two you chose, differences are massive in terms of cut quality and precision

SteveScao

Rough_Rock
That's not accurate. WF and BGD stones are cut *for* WF and BGD according to their very exacting and stringent specifications, not just in proportions, but also in optical symmetry and light performance.

It's not that ACAs or BGD are chosen from a pack of stones and therefore cost more. It's that they are cut to exacting proportions and therefore are of a higher quality. The ones you picked just aren't great. The proportions fall into ranges that are good, but if you look carefully and compare them to truly ideal cut stones, neither one measures up.

Understood, are the differences so massive that I would, without fail, be able to pick out the better cut stone if held to me in real life?

If the answer is yes, I'll really consider it, and I appreciate everyone chiming in here. Learning a bit.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Certainly there is better cut but personally if this one was “very good” with Ideal 0 AGS light performance… at around 11k…

Is it worth it for him to drop from 1.5ct to under 1.3ct and sacrifice the D color to an H… all for a bit better cut and symmetry?

I don’t know the answer to that one. That’s a lot to give up. The biggest issue I had with his 1.5ct D option, which would bother me personally, is the black crystal on the table.

In a word, yes. Precision cutting and top performance do cost. There is much more diamond material wasted to cut for performance and not carat weight. There is always truth in numbers and most of the folks here have seen and experienced the difference in top cut. They are not going to recommend settling.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This diamond is 1.5 D without fluorescence at $11,100 is the price asked. My budget is / was ~11k

Give me a ray of hope that I would be impressed with my selection! lol

Or do you think there is similar +- $500 that would be astoundingly better?

No one looking at the 1.5 in person on someones finger is going to think it is a bad diamond.
Its better cut than a lot of stones out there in the wild even if its not up to the standards here by a bit.

I'm not allowed to recommend diamonds.
That is a challenge left for the prosumers.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Understood, are the differences so massive that I would, without fail, be able to pick out the better cut stone if held to me in real life?

If the answer is yes, I'll really consider it, and I appreciate everyone chiming in here. Learning a bit.

I’ve held an ACA next to an “ideal proportion” good XXX GIA stone and compared them in my own personal search. I do believe I have a very sensitive eye, for what that is worth.

I noticed the arrows being more prominent and symmetrical. I also noticed like a 5%-10% difference in sparkle personally after comparing carefully in a couple of lighting conditions. There IS a difference. My friend who was with me could not see it though (shrug).

But there IS also a difference between a 1.3ct and a 1.5ct diamond in presence on the finger. It’s a noticeable difference.

There is also a difference between a D icy color and an H. I chose not to buy an H personally because I could see the warmth in the stone but i’m color sensitive — many others are perfectly happy with an H.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Go to Whiteflash.com and look at their extensive explanations of how they arrive at the cut of their diamonds. They go way beyond looking at table, crown and pavilion numbers - although that is a starting point. If the diamonds you are considering met that criteria, they would be sold by super ideal vendors. I understand your frustration - can it really be this complex? The answer is yes. Many of us were where you are at the beginning. Really necessary? Marketing hype? Really? I have now had nine ACA diamonds - some have been traded up - and the performance is remarkably consistent and beautiful. I get lots of compliments which is nice - but the biggest bang for me is the pleasure I get from wearing and admiring them. Just my experience and I always feel it is worth sharing. She won’t notice the size as much as she will the sparkle - lots of reviews here for super ideal cut diamonds and on vendor websites.

SteveScao

Rough_Rock
I’ve held an ACA next to an “ideal proportion” good XXX GIA stone and compared them in my own personal search. I do believe I have a very sensitive eye, for what that is worth.

I noticed the arrows being more prominent and symmetrical. I also noticed like a 5%-10% difference in sparkle personally after comparing carefully in a couple of lighting conditions. There IS a difference. My friend who was with me could not see it though (shrug).

But there IS also a difference between a 1.3ct and a 1.5ct diamond in presence on the finger. It’s a noticeable difference.

There is also a difference between a D icy white color and an H. I chose not to buy an H personally because I could see the warmth in the stone but i’m color sensitive — many others are perfectly happy with an H.

Understood. This is a connoisseur website for diamonds and of course you guys are going to be geared with the best as the benchmark.
Go to Whiteflash.com and look at their extensive explanations of how they arrive at the cut of their diamonds. They go way beyond looking at table, crown and pavilion numbers - although that is a starting point. If the diamonds you are considering met that criteria, they would be sold by super ideal vendors. I understand your frustration - can it really be this complex? The answer is yes. Many of us were where you are at the beginning. Really necessary? Marketing hype? Really? I have now had nine ACA diamonds - some have been traded up - and the performance is remarkably consistent and beautiful. I get lots of compliments which is nice - but the biggest bang for me is the pleasure I get from wearing and admiring them. Just my experience and I always feel it is worth sharing. She won’t notice the size as much as she will the sparkle - lots of reviews here for super ideal cut diamonds and on vendor websites.

You have captured my feelings precisely.

This sucks, because I thought I was already in a lot of pain capturing the 1.5D that I have here, thinking I found a deal for an amazing price, but this added information is telling me that it still may not be up to par.

I've lost a lot of sleep researching things about diamonds to make sure my blind website purchase is exactly right and most importantly, she'd be happy. And now I feel like I must go back to the drawing board lol.

I'm feeling like there's no use in trying to "find a diamond in the ruff" on traditional websites in an attempt of getting lucky to come across an accidental steal, and that I need to just check what I can afford from the premium brands like ACA, BGD, etc.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Understood. This is a connoisseur website for diamonds and of course you guys are going to be geared with the best as the benchmark.

You have captured my feelings precisely.

This sucks, because I thought I was already in a lot of pain capturing the 1.5D that I have here, thinking I found a deal for an amazing price, but this added information is telling me that it still may not be up to par.

I've lost a lot of sleep researching things about diamonds to make sure my blind website purchase is exactly right and most importantly, she'd be happy. And now I feel like I must go back to the drawing board lol.

I'm feeling like there's no use in trying to "find a diamond in the ruff" on traditional websites in an attempt of getting lucky to come across an accidental steal, and that I need to just check what I can afford from the premium brands like ACA, BGD, etc.

I suggest you try and take a little bit of pressure off yourself. Ask the people on this forum, do ANY of them still use their first engagement ring 10 years later? 20?

That’s why so many people here stress the upgrade programs in the different vendors. People just make/have a lot more money later in life and suddenly that 2ct, 2.5ct diamond starts looking really good for a 10th anniversary.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results