clarity

Hey guys, what do we think here

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Options:

sparklecoffee

Rough_Rock
As someone who went through many of the same motions as you just a few months ago I can understand your thoughts. I'll provide a different perspective than most. I also went through the learning process of choosing diamonds and thought I had picked a couple winners myself and asked these experts what they thought only to find out I didn't have the calibrated eye...(albeit, I was in the lab diamond forum vs earth mined diamonds but the vendors and proportions and many selection criteria translate between the different diamond types).
The experts helped me pick some better but not super ideal diamonds.

I was doing this shopping in full transparency of my fiancé and would include her in many of my diamond finds.
I purchased two to compare, 1 was a GCAL 8X (although not the best example) and the other was a recommendation from PriceScope members. We honestly could not tell much of a difference at all.
I do wish we had an ACA (or equivalent) to compare side by side but we would have been out of any return window if we had all three diamonds side by side.
We chose the pricescope recommendation as it was higher color and larger.

In the end, my fiancé actually told me to stop stressing and shopping for diamonds and to be happy with what we chose. SHE was the one that was super excited about the diamond and that's the important part since she's wearing the ring all the time.
We have a story to tell about all the energy I put into searching for and learning about diamonds.

Long story short, your partner may be more than happy with a non super ideal stone that some of the experts here on pricescope can recommend.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Understood. This is a connoisseur website for diamonds and of course you guys are going to be geared with the best as the benchmark.

You have captured my feelings precisely.

This sucks, because I thought I was already in a lot of pain capturing the 1.5D that I have here, thinking I found a deal for an amazing price, but this added information is telling me that it still may not be up to par.

I've lost a lot of sleep researching things about diamonds to make sure my blind website purchase is exactly right and most importantly, she'd be happy. And now I feel like I must go back to the drawing board lol.

I'm feeling like there's no use in trying to "find a diamond in the ruff" on traditional websites in an attempt of getting lucky to come across an accidental steal, and that I need to just check what I can afford from the premium brands like ACA, BGD, etc.

You are a quick study and I applaud you digging in. I have been here 18 years and am still learning things. When I was engaged many years ago, the internet did not exist nor did the vast information that could be found here. If I had this information available to me then, I never would have had as many trades as I did through the years. That spans upgrades before my ACA diamonds and there were several. They were all off somehow; I just didn’t know how to describe what I was seeing or more importantly, what I wasn’t seeing. Those diamonds went from E to H. I thought better color would do the trick. Nope. Bigger diamond? Nope. Just frustration. Finally, through some luck, I was able to buy an ACA after having seen them here for years. That edge to edge sparkle - no deep dark centers - overall brightness - wow! These puppies weren’t even being cut when I was a bride. The point being if I had the opportunity to start out with a super ideal cut diamond, I know I would have loved it. If I could upgrade it by just spending one more dollar (not 50% more like some retailers require) it would have been nirvana!! You may think you will never upgrade and you may never. In ten years, you might be making a lot more money and she might be blown away with an even larger diamond. That ability is golden and I am proof positive of it. Forum members here want you and your intended to be happy with a great diamond, superb upgrade policy and generous return policy if it doesn’t float your boat. The fact that you have sought out help and have spent time trying to digest it all says loads about you and your desire to make her happy. At the end of the day, I hope you end up with a gorgeous diamond that both of you will be happy with to symbolize your commitment to one another!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Understood. This is a connoisseur website for diamonds and of course you guys are going to be geared with the best as the benchmark.

You have captured my feelings precisely.

This sucks, because I thought I was already in a lot of pain capturing the 1.5D that I have here, thinking I found a deal for an amazing price, but this added information is telling me that it still may not be up to par.

I've lost a lot of sleep researching things about diamonds to make sure my blind website purchase is exactly right and most importantly, she'd be happy. And now I feel like I must go back to the drawing board lol.

I'm feeling like there's no use in trying to "find a diamond in the ruff" on traditional websites in an attempt of getting lucky to come across an accidental steal, and that I need to just check what I can afford from the premium brands like ACA, BGD, etc.

Hi and welcome to PriceScope, SteveScao!

Definitely take a look at Whiteflash diamonds...their site is easy to navigate and is a great jumping-off point.

This will get you started...clean SI1, extremely fiery, and jaw dropping cut precision:

SteveScao

Rough_Rock

Definitely take a look at Whiteflash diamonds...their site is easy to navigate and is a great jumping-off point.

This will get you started...clean SI1, extremely fiery, and jaw dropping cut precision:

This is in my interest; would you really consider this over the D I have chosen?

I'm taking your guy's opinion extremely seriously. This would also save me quite a bit of money too.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
This is in my interest; would you really consider this over the D I have chosen?

I'm taking your guy's opinion extremely seriously. This would also save me quite a bit of money too.

I'd have no qualms with an F color vs a D color since both are in the colorless category. That is my subjective conclusion, though.

SteveScao

Rough_Rock
You are a quick study and I applaud you digging in. I have been here 18 years and am still learning things. When I was engaged many years ago, the internet did not exist nor did the vast information that could be found here. If I had this information available to me then, I never would have had as many trades as I did through the years. That spans upgrades before my ACA diamonds and there were several. They were all off somehow; I just didn’t know how to describe what I was seeing or more importantly, what I wasn’t seeing. Those diamonds went from E to H. I thought better color would do the trick. Nope. Bigger diamond? Nope. Just frustration. Finally, through some luck, I was able to buy an ACA after having seen them here for years. That edge to edge sparkle - no deep dark centers - overall brightness - wow! These puppies weren’t even being cut when I was a bride. The point being if I had the opportunity to start out with a super ideal cut diamond, I know I would have loved it. If I could upgrade it by just spending one more dollar (not 50% more like some retailers require) it would have been nirvana!! You may think you will never upgrade and you may never. In ten years, you might be making a lot more money and she might be blown away with an even larger diamond. That ability is golden and I am proof positive of it. Forum members here want you and your intended to be happy with a great diamond, superb upgrade policy and generous return policy if it doesn’t float your boat. The fact that you have sought out help and have spent time trying to digest it all says loads about you and your desire to make her happy. At the end of the day, I hope you end up with a gorgeous diamond that both of you will be happy with to symbolize your commitment to one another!

Thank you so much, once again captured perfectly! Hahaha. I am trying, and I am leaning to ACA now, with DejaWiz's suggestion possibly!

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much, once again captured perfectly! Hahaha. I am trying, and I am leaning to ACA now, with DejaWiz's suggestion possibly!

You really need to put a D and an F right next to each other, looking at a SIDE view…squinting very hard…with a white background… to see a slight difference in color. In a ring, you’ll almost certainly never notice any difference.

In my personal opinion, you are definitely good going with an F color versus worrying about a D.

I’m going with ID Jewelry for my fiancée‘s wedding band. I went with F color stones because I am color sensitive but i’d have also been fine with G.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Consider putting it on hold if your serious about it so someone else doesn't snag it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This one is amazing

SteveScao

Rough_Rock
Consider putting it on hold if your serious about it so someone else doesn't snag it.

Very serious and done.

Just for sanity's sake, this is the diamond I currently have in the ring, but I didn't like it's performance, can I have you guys concur you could assume poor performance just so I understand what I'm seeing?

I'm exchanging it for either the D diamond I've talked about here or the ACA that DejaWiz has suggested... I'm just going nuts on which I should do.

$8,100

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Very serious and done.

Just for sanity's sake, this is the diamond I currently have in the ring, but I didn't like it's performance, can I have you guys concur you could assume poor performance just so I understand what I'm seeing?

I'm exchanging it for either the D diamond I've talked about here or the ACA that DejaWiz has suggested... I'm just going nuts on which I should do.

$8,100

You know, if you have a bit of time before the proposal… You can just buy both the ACA and the D…See them in person next to each other…and return the one you like less. Then take the diamond and have it set in what style setting you want after that.

NOTHING beats seeing it with your own eyes to erase doubt and fear of having made the wrong choice.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Very serious and done.

$8,100

The numbers on the report are great...45% stars and 80% lowers typically aid a 40.8° PA paired with a slightly steeper 35.5° CA.

Where the problem lies (and what you're probably seeing as unsatisfactory performance) is in the cut precision: there is a bit of cut slop with the pavilion facets which is resulting in light leakage...light escaping through the bottom of the diamond instead of being properly reflected back to the eyes.

Unfortunately, these kinds of issues are either not checked for or not reported by most grading labs...that is where cut precision and advanced images become a crucial component to tell us, without deniability, whether or not a diamond is going to have a vast advantage with optical performance.

Screenshot_20230505-221519-431.png

You know, if you have a bit of time before the proposal… You can just buy both the ACA and the D…See them in person next to each other…and return the one you like less. Then take the diamond and have it set in what style setting you want after that.

NOTHING beats seeing it with your own eyes to erase doubt and fear of having made the wrong choice.

I second the suggestion to see both in person and then take your decision. For me, personally, I prioritise carat/face up size over cut (to some extent of course, there is a reasonable bar for cut that the stone has to meet, though this is not a popular viewpoint on this forum!) and so if the 1.5ct D was "good enough" I'd prefer that over the ACA!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your current stone has a lot of twist in the pavilion.
What specifically did you not like?

SteveScao

Rough_Rock
I second the suggestion to see both in person and then take your decision. For me, personally, I prioritise carat/face up size over cut (to some extent of course, there is a reasonable bar for cut that the stone has to meet, though this is not a popular viewpoint on this forum!) and so if the 1.5ct D was "good enough" I'd prefer that over the ACA!

Damn it. You didn't just do that to me.

Mods! Mods!

SteveScao

Rough_Rock
Your current stone has a lot of twist in the pavilion.
What specifically did you not like?

Regardless of light source, as I look at it from different angles, it came out looking "opaque."

The color you see in people's eyes due to being blind. The white, milky color, which didn't seem right. Like absolute lack of brilliance.

I had two people look at it think it needed to be rubbed or "washed" and that was a clear indication that she would also think that, and realize it's just the diamond... lol, so it's going back no matter what.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe you’ve been getting some excellent advice and will refrain from beating a dead horse.

Is the existing G stone currently in the setting still able to returned for full refund? If so, be sure to do so immediately before that option vaporizes. Otherwise you will be stuck trying to trade in the JA ecosystem (requires you spend 50% more) or sell privately and take a bath on the stone. Be decisive. You know you don’t love this stone regardless of the proportions or what we say so let it go and don’t mess up your return period. You have better options.

SteveScao

Rough_Rock
I believe you’ve been getting some excellent advice and will refrain from beating a dead horse.

Is the existing G stone currently in the setting still able to returned for full refund? If so, be sure to do so immediately before that option vaporizes. Otherwise you will be stuck trying to trade in the JA ecosystem (requires you spend 50% more) or sell privately and take a bath on the stone. Be decisive. You know you don’t love this stone regardless of the proportions or what we say so let it go and don’t mess up your return period. You have better options.

100%

My decision is this:

Sending the ring back to get the D diamond by JA, AND I'm going with @DejaWiz's suggested ACA from WhiteFlash to really see what this ACA hub is all about. MAKE ME A BELIEVER IN THE ACA!

I want to see where I went wrong haha. Also due to @AllAboardTheBlingTrain putting that 100% pinpoint effective accidental manipulation comment on me... lol

So, here are the final contenders:

$10,500 out the door

$12,400 out the door.

Will post videos of both when I get them, here if you guys are interested, haha.

It will be a mounted diamond vs loose diamond from WhiteFlash.

No matter what I will *PROBABLY* go with the ACA based on their upgrade policy alone, and one day get that D 1.5 ACA I'm craving for her. lol. I want to see the pure performance myself, first. If the ACA is truly that much more superior, I'll have the setting remounted for a 3rd time.

What a journey this has been. Thank you guys all, truly for dealing with, I'm sure, consistent newbies and their naive stressed brains.

Last edited:
100%

My decision is this:

Sending the ring back to get the D diamond by JA, AND I'm going with @DejaWiz's suggested ACA from WhiteFlash to really see what this ACA hub is all about. MAKE ME A BELIEVER IN THE ACA!

I want to see where I went wrong haha. Also due to @AllAboardTheBlingTrain putting that 100% pinpoint effective accidental manipulation comment on me... lol

So, here are the final contenders:

$10,500 out the door

$12,400 out the door.

Will post videos of both when I get them, here if you guys are interested, haha.

It will be a mounted diamond vs loose diamond from WhiteFlash.

No matter what I will *PROBABLY* go with the ACA based on their upgrade policy alone, and one day get that D 1.5 ACA I'm craving for her. lol. I want to see the pure performance myself, first. If the ACA is truly that much more superior, I'll have the setting remounted for a 3rd time.

What a journey this has been. Thank you guys all, truly for dealing with, I'm sure, consistent newbies and their naive stressed brains.

Oopsie - that totally wasn’t my intention! :lol: But FWIW I think you’re making the right decision by letting your eyes be the final judge.

Also, if upgrades are a possibility - I would also strongly consider the ACA then, for that upgrade policy alone. I made my suggestion basis you being one and done (with future upgrades being additional rings and not replacements :devil:)

Can’t wait to see what you think!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
indiana-jones-last-crusade.gif

SteveScao

Rough_Rock
Oopsie - that totally wasn’t my intention! :lol: But FWIW I think you’re making the right decision by letting your eyes be the final judge.

Also, if upgrades are a possibility - I would also strongly consider the ACA then, for that upgrade policy alone. I made my suggestion basis you being one and done (with future upgrades being additional rings and not replacements :devil:)

Can’t wait to see what you think!

Hahaha, that's ONLY IF the ACA truly outperforms the JA diamond. Otherwise, the JA will be my one and done.

If the ACA truly is magical, I'm all aboard the train to get to the goal diamond down the line.

Thanks for you commentaries ❤️

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I’m team ACA all the way!!! Looking forward to your impression of the diamond

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh this is going to be fun!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results