shape
carat
color
clarity

Helping parents out financially

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
missy|1315235659|3010043 said:
Pretend all this was coming from a friend of yours, someone your own age. Then what would you and DH think?

Personally, I would think they are not friends with that behavior- if that's what they say and how they treat us.

iLander, she seems to look out more for her son (at least from how I am interpreting chemgirl's posts). There seems to be an inequality here and sure they are people but they are also family and you really cannot separate the 2 realistically. I still think this is unbecoming behavior for whomever is behaving this way-friend/family member/person.

100%

That's another problem that we're choosing to ignore.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
chemgirl|1315228218|3009994 said:
TristanC|1315189359|3009846 said:
I had to bring my laptop to do some work over the weekend and she talked incessantly about how I'm spoiled and she wishes her husband would buy her a nice new laptop. Then it was complaint after complaint that we're going to Germany and she has never been to Europe. I tried to explain that we budget and put a percentage of our paychecks into a savings account earmarked for travel; that we don't go on trips whenever we want, but when we have saved enough. Nothing was sinking in. She would just look at me and say I was a "lucky lucky girl." Its almost like she's jealous of me and I really don't get it. We're moving next month for my job and renting in our new city until I am settled in to the job and the city. She thought we would be renting a tiny cheap apartment. When she found out we were renting a house (in a better neighborhood than her son's, gasp!) she called us stupid.

WHAT?? she called you stupid? Not only is she bad a managing money but she's downright obnoxious and, clearly, doesn't have your best interests at heart.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1315242989|3010114 said:
I had to bring my laptop to do some work over the weekend and she talked incessantly about how I'm spoiled and she wishes her husband would buy her a nice new laptop. Then it was complaint after complaint that we're going to Germany and she has never been to Europe. I tried to explain that we budget and put a percentage of our paychecks into a savings account earmarked for travel; that we don't go on trips whenever we want, but when we have saved enough. Nothing was sinking in. She would just look at me and say I was a "lucky lucky girl." Its almost like she's jealous of me and I really don't get it. We're moving next month for my job and renting in our new city until I am settled in to the job and the city. She thought we would be renting a tiny cheap apartment. When she found out we were renting a house (in a better neighborhood than her son's, gasp!) she called us stupid.

WHAT?? she called you stupid? Not only is she bad a managing money but she's downright obnoxious and, clearly, doesn't have your best interests at heart.

It was a "you would be stupid to rent there when you can rent where my son lives for less" She is under the impression (false) that her son makes more money than we. If he can't afford it, we certainly can't :roll:

She is ignoring the fact that our house is closer to my work by quite a bit. Cutting half an hour off of my commute is worth the extra $75 per month in rent!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
chemgirl|1315244642|3010123 said:
centralsquare|1315242989|3010114 said:

It was a "you would be stupid to rent there when you can rent where my son lives for less" She is under the impression (false) that her son makes more money than we. If he can't afford it, we certainly can't :roll:

She is ignoring the fact that our house is closer to my work by quite a bit. Cutting half an hour off of my commute is worth the extra $75 per month in rent!

Sound like she has a great deal of financial delusions about herself and her son. What a nightmare!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results