shape
carat
color
clarity

Helping colleague with ER ideas

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
My colleague at work might be looking to propose at Christmas and he has looked at a few of our local jewellery stores, we are in Guernsey off the coast of the UK. I have a WF ACA and would love him to get a great stone within his budget of GBP1,000 for the setting and diamond.
I know he won’t order from the USA but I did tell him about Blue Nile. I would say the upgrade options are not required as it’s not a thing to upgrade your ring here.
Is it possible to get a good looking stone within budget ?
a local ring of 0.18ct H SI would be GBP599.00

Reactions: AV_

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This combo is on Blue Nile.

This diamond, # LD13807826, 0.48ct H-VS2, $1,071
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab

This setting, # 71924, Four-prong 14k White Gold solitaire, $180
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...olitaire-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold_71924

The diamond faces up at 5mm which is a lovely size, and should perform very well by the numbers and video. The solitaire is classic and slim which will pair well with any wedding band .. and comes in under budget.

I found these on the US Blue Nile site, but should be accessible the UK Blue Nile website if you search by the item number.

You are good friend to help out your colleague!

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
What shape is be looking at? Any colour/clarity requirements?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MaryMM’s suggestion looks nice!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Want an oval? WWW 0.55 D/VS2

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Is your colleague comfortable with ordering off Blue Nile? My understanding is that their return policy will include a return of the VAT paid as well, but maybe double check.

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
This combo is on Blue Nile.

This diamond, # LD13807826, 0.48ct H-VS2, $1,071
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab

This setting, # 71924, Four-prong 14k White Gold solitaire, $180
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...olitaire-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold_71924

The diamond faces up at 5mm which is a lovely size, and should perform very well by the numbers and video. The solitaire is classic and slim which will pair well with any wedding band .. and comes in under budget.

I found these on the US Blue Nile site, but should be accessible the UK Blue Nile website if you search by the item number.

You are good friend to help out your colleague!

What shape is be looking at? Any colour/clarity requirements?

MaryMM’s suggestion looks nice!

Want an oval? WWW 0.55 D/VS2

Is your colleague comfortable with ordering off Blue Nile? My understanding is that their return policy will include a return of the VAT paid as well, but maybe double check.

Thank you all.
A round solitaire diamond, being the best for the budget. No colour issues, a white looking stone. I was explaining that our local jewellers seem to be hung up on colour and nothing else matters when I was looking for my pendant.
With Blue Nile they don’t refund the VAT when sending to us like other companies something about being an online store. If it did have to be sent back for any issues we have a postal returns process where we don’t pay the VAT again.
Marymm I will show him that stone you linked.
the setting would be 6 claw.

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
The Blue Nile pricing seems a little strange? On US site $1071 change to UK and it’s GBP1016, not too keen on their FX rate!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Blue Nile pricing seems a little strange? On US site $1071 change to UK and it’s GBP1016, not too keen on their FX rate!

The price on the UK site includes the VAT, so around £858 plus 20%.

Edit- just realised you’re in Guernsey which I think has different tax arrangements? Not sure how that works with Blue Nile.

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
The price on the UK site includes the VAT, so around £858 plus 20%.

Edit- just realised you’re in Guernsey which I think has different tax arrangements? Not sure how that works with Blue Nile.
Unfortunately Blue Nile don’t remove the VAT for us like other retailers :(

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh that’s a shame! I guess that makes it more attractive to import from the US? It’s a pity your colleague won’t consider WF.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Would he consider a lab stone to get a bigger carat size?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My memory is failing me now, but are their not retailers in the UK that carry Cut by Infinity Diamonds? Worth investigating.

cheers--Sharon

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you said he wouldn’t want to order from USA but I am sure he likes your ring. This diamond paid with wire could possibly be in his budget. Show him the video of the diamond and see what he thinks!

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
He has a few days off work so I will show him the options when he returns.
I am going to order myself a ACA in the next few months for a ring to celebrate/commiserate my birthday so he may be interested when I start looking.

mcosme

Shiny_Rock

Does that mean that he would pay less tax if he purchased from say WF or JA?

If you do go with BN, I think it's worth spending a bit more on the petite noveau as the prongs are much nicer :)

Post #7 https://boards.weddingbee.com/topic...ing-from-blue-nile-opinionsshow-me-your-pics/

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
Does that mean that he would pay less tax if he purchased from say WF or JA?

If you do go with BN, I think it's worth spending a bit more on the petite noveau as the prongs are much nicer :)

Post #7 https://boards.weddingbee.com/topic...ing-from-blue-nile-opinionsshow-me-your-pics/
Yes, if he purchased from WF we only pay the duty with is about 3 or 4%. I can double check my customs papers for how much I paid when I imported my pendant.
JA won’t ship here and suggested shipping to a friend in UK when I looked into postage options with them.
I will show him the BN setting thank you.

Last edited:

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
I have been doing a little local price comparison and most stones are H, SI but some I found are PI? that doesn’t seem to be recorded on the scale so not sure what clarity they would be!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
It would be crazy not to buy from Whiteflash (or another US company) if Blue Nile won't remove the VAT!

P1 means I1 in the UK, you often find it in high street chain jewellers. Avoid.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
It would be crazy not to buy from Whiteflash (or another US company) if Blue Nile won't remove the VAT!

P1 means I1 in the UK, you often find it in high street chain jewellers. Avoid.

Thank you, I couldn’t work out the PI but thought it must be bad! They are offering a 0.40 H PI white gold ring for GBP1,699!

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
That's very weird that JA won't ship to you

If you're paying less tax not going with BN, this combination is right on budget :)

Or if your colleague can go above budget a bit, this setting is more dainty

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
That's very weird that JA won't ship to you

If you're paying less tax not going with BN, this combination is right on budget :)

Or if your colleague can go above budget a bit, this setting is more dainty

Yes I asked JA at the time if they would ship and that others ship here but they wouldn’t at all. Didn’t fancy the Idea of shipping a GBP6,000 pendant to a friend in the UK!
i will certainly show him your finds, I personally like the second setting.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does your friend have any idea what size finger his intended has? Another option to maximise his money would be preloved. I know it’s not for everyone, but he could probably get a bigger stone for his money. Without wishing to sound sexist, a lot of men don’t have any idea what a half carat sized ring looks like on a larger finger.

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
Does your friend have any idea what size finger his intended has? Another option to maximise his money would be preloved. I know it’s not for everyone, but he could probably get a bigger stone for his money. Without wishing to sound sexist, a lot of men don’t have any idea what a half carat sized ring looks like on a larger finger.
I did say to him that he needs to find out her finger size, not sure how he will :)
I think WF might be the way to go, he has to sit next to my ACA all day which is on a pendant so knows how sparkly it is!

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Yes I asked JA at the time if they would ship and that others ship here but they wouldn’t at all. Didn’t fancy the Idea of shipping a GBP6,000 pendant to a friend in the UK!
i will certainly show him your finds, I personally like the second setting.

Yes the second setting is quite nice!

Just a thought on finger size - definitely good to find out so we know what to expect.

Just for reference - Lovedogs bought a 0.25 carat ring and her finger size was around 6. It's still very pretty.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes the second setting is quite nice!

Just a thought on finger size - definitely good to find out so we know what to expect.

Just for reference - Lovedogs bought a 0.25 carat ring and her finger size was around 6. It's still very pretty.

haha yup I did, and then ended up selling the engagement ring and keeping the band because I just kept feeling like it was too small. I bought a preloved Tiffany style setting and put a 1ct stone in it, which ended up being perfect. So for me (finger size 6.5-7 depending on thickness of the band) .25 felt too small.

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
The 2 WF diamonds linked above are still available but whilst searching/stalking WF I have seen one that has 3 feathers on the Pavillion. It has no other blemishes. Could this be worth a look ?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results