shape
carat
color
clarity

Help!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with webdiva and want to add that in NYC we have a TON of great vendors with competitive pricing. So BN makes no sense. He's spending 10k and lives local to places with great selection and great customer service. Buying a virtual stone, sight unseen isn't something he has to do, or even something I'd recommend he do in this case. There are many buyers that buying virtually is great for, he's not really one of them. He needs to go and sit and look at stones and has the resources around him where he can do that effectively.

EB has a point about the color. In an OEC you don't get too many higher colors. So maybe I or better and eyeclean.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1341706282|3230314 said:
I agree with webdiva and want to add that in NYC we have a TON of great vendors with competitive pricing. So BN makes no sense. He's spending 10k and lives local to places with great selection and great customer service. Buying a virtual stone, sight unseen isn't something he has to do, or even something I'd recommend he do in this case. There are many buyers that buying virtually is great for, he's not really one of them. He needs to go and sit and look at stones and has the resources around him where he can do that effectively.

EB has a point about the color. In an OEC you don't get too many higher colors. So maybe I or better and eyeclean.

Good point with going to see things in person! Perhaps a visit to GOG or IDJ are in order? Though I covet the OEC you posted and think that an antique stone may actually be a great choice based on her profile.

agapoula25

Rough_Rock
I can't thank you all enough for trying to help me! :)

My head is spinning. You ladies/gents obviously know a lot more about this than me, I don't even understand the abbreviations....GOG....IDJ...OEC....OWD....oh my goodness....I feel like I'm in real trouble here!

Gypsy, if you were local to NYC, I swear I would crawl on my hands and knees on a public street, to try to convince you to spare a few hours of your time, so you can go to some of those places with me to help me. lol

I can buy a car, I can fix a bathroom, but I think if I were to go to a jewelry store by myself, I would either pee my pants, or get into a fight with the salesman. :cheeky:

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
agapoula25|1341707504|3230325 said:
I can't thank you all enough for trying to help me! :)

My head is spinning. You ladies/gents obviously know a lot more about this than me, I don't even understand the abbreviations....GOG....IDJ...OEC....OWD....oh my goodness....I feel like I'm in real trouble here!

Gypsy, if you were local to NYC, I swear I would crawl on my hands and knees on a public street, to try to convince you to spare a few hours of your time, so you can go to some of those places with me to help me. lol

I can buy a car, I can fix a bathroom, but I think if I were to go to a jewelry store by myself, I would either pee my pants, or get into a fight with the salesman. :cheeky:

Our apologies! :) Luckily, all three vendors are close to you:

GOG - Good Old Gold - goodoldgold.com - 1 hr out of NY
IDJ - ID Jewelry - www.idjewelryonline.com - in NY city
OWD - Old World Diamonds - www.oldworlddiamonds.com

So the main question is - can you get more info from her friend?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey... take a deep breath. I'll be honest with you. If you want to give me a day next week when you have the time to go to the diamond district and take a train to long island. I can set up appointments for you, talk to the vendors for you myself on the phone and tell them what to pull for you, so that all you have to go is see what your eyes like and what appeals to you for her. You'll need several hours. About 6-8. I think most of the vendors have Saturday hours, though some may not. I can check on that for you too.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, meant to edit and accidentally made a new post.

Gypsy's offer is a fantastic one, and I'd urge you to contact that friend before you go to see if she has any input.

sleeprequired

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1341708479|3230332 said:
Hey... take a deep breath. I'll be honest with you. If you want to give me a day next week when you have the time to go to the diamond district and take a train to long island. I can set up appointments for you, talk to the vendors for you myself on the phone and tell them what to pull for you, so that all you have to go is see what your eyes like and what appeals to you for her. You'll need several hours. About 6-8. I think most of the vendors have Saturday hours, though some may not. I can check on that for you too.
what a lovely offer

Shiny_Rock
That sounds really nice - i was surprised my post was completely disregarded, as most of the information I gave on diamonds is common knowledge and from PriceScope links and jewellers themselves! Yet my entire post was just shot down... No worries though :)...

OEC (stands for Old European Cut diamond) it is the predecessor cut to the now current round brilliant cut diamond. It is an antique cut, and yes beautiful it is unique with different faceting and is a Pre loved diamond...

I simply thought a more common and popular option should at least be thrown out there...and I was by no means meaning to cause a stir in the coop and distract from anything Gypsy was saying. Sorry if it was taken that way.

I think your girlfriend will love whatever you propose with anyhow.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
2023, This place is like Ben and Jerry's for jewelry. When someone walks in and asks for vanilla, we serve them what they want and don't argue with them or try to talk them into anything else. And we have great vanilla. But if someone walks in and asks us what WE would recommend, well we know that there's a whole wonderful world beyond vanilla.

So imagine walking in to Ben and Jerry's and standing in line. And you want vanilla, and they serve you vanilla. And you are thrilled because they have AWESOME vanilla. Happy customer! And then the staff person moves on to help the next customer behind you. And as you are standing there paying that other customer turns to the salesperson and says... what should I order-- can you recommend something for me? And YOU, wanting to be helpful and loving your vanilla, say: Vanilla is a really safe choice, and you can't go wrong with, it and it's a classic and 90% of people out there would really be very happy with vanilla. And yes, everything you are saying is true. But do you think the Ben and Jerry's sales people are gonna say: Yes! Vanilla! Of course! Get Vanilla! OR are they gonna say... yes, vanilla has it's place BUT--- Cherry Garcia, Chunky Monkey, Chocolate Fudge Brownie and Strawberry Dreams are very popular! Do you like Chocolate? Bananas? Cherries? What do you like? Let me see if I can find something a bit more exciting to tempt you?

I don't know one person who walks into an ice cream shop that isn't aware that vanilla is always an option. It's one of those things you never really have to recommend because well, everyone knows about it. That's what a MRB in a 6 prong Tiffany style setting is like. Even people who know nothing about jewelry at all recognize that as an engagement ring and could even describe it. And there are people I'll recommend that to because it's a good fit for some. But when someone says... hey! Recommend something to me, I KNOW they know that they could get a MRB in a 6 prong, and I'm gonna ask them other questions to find out if there is something else that might suit. Most people (not even just men, women too) have NO IDEA how many different diamond cuts and shapes there are. And then how many setting designs and styles. Now I could overload them and tell them every possible thing that they could buy. Which would be the same as the Ben and Jerry's handing you a huge 40 page ice cream menu with every possible topping combo and walking away. How do know what's really good? How do you what the most popular flavors are? How do you know what does best with what? Ultimately anyone on here might decide to buy a MRB in a Tiffany after looking at all the options we present to them. But we make sure they know what the other options are, and what their budget can get them and tell them to explore the options before they decide that vanilla is the right choice for them.

I still am recommending a solitaire for this person. And even a round. Because her tastes are very classic and tailored-- neutral handbags and a tailored wardrobe tell us that. But we also don't ignore that she's an individual who likes to go against the herd (not a brand shopper, doesn't like Pottery Barn, and shops in second hand shops) and likes a good value.

In the interest of full disclosure I am the most boring ice cream person EVER. I embarrass my husband at Coldstone by ordering Sweet Cream (it doesn't even HAVE vanilla! It's more boring than vanilla!) shakes.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread should be stickied.

Actually, Gypsy, I think this would make a really good article topic. I'm going to the PS homepage now for the first time in eons and there's a lot of great stuff there, but I reckon if I didn't know anything about diamonds I wouldn't know where to go first!
Something like this on the landing page would give visitors who aren't up to posting for help a big leg up :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
About the wonderful 'flavors' available at this ice cream shop? 8)

Shiny_Rock
Much too funny, and in all honesty I love all your advice gypsy, I was just surprised my 'vanilla' was so bamboozled. Also just to remember in the world of diamonds, vanilla is not just simply vanilla, there's 1 scoop, 2 scoop, low fat, high fat, made with soy milk, goats milk, vanilla with a cherry, just in vanilla!!! in all honesty vanilla for a lot of men in the world of diamonds is still am exceedingly complicated place :) I know you put out the rocky road with cherry ripe out there, but to be perfectly honest he's in good hands wherever he ends up, I know he'll get the best of the ice cream flavor for his future fiancé.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said:
About the wonderful 'flavors' available at this ice cream shop? 8)

:naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although much older, I am so much like her and I think I would recommend a traditional round brilliant solitaire...like I have! I am a teacher, traditional, very practical, like bargains, don't have a thing for purses or designer clothes, dress very casually, etc. Since she is not really into antiques, I think an antique stone may be risky, and especially not a lower color.

If you have access to go to Good Old Gold, I think that is your answer. They are a wonderful family-owned jewelry store on Long Island and they specialize in well cut stones and have many, many settings. My ring came from there and I can recommend Vatche as an excellent brand of solitaire rings. The Caroline is a beautiful 4 prong setting and the U-113 (which I have) is a repro of the Tiffany solitaire setting. These are of the Vatche Caroline (and the diamond, 1.15 cts., and ring came from WhiteFlash, another vendor who specializes in ideal cut rounds):

_157.jpg

ccring2.jpg

_158.jpg

ccring4.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And a couple of the Vatche U-113 (diamond and setting from Good Old Gold, diamond 1.5 cts.):

img_2916.jpg

img_2891.jpg

Attachments

• vatchetiffanyrepro.bmp
    103.2 KB · Views: 694

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
Good Old Gold also sells their branded August Vintage round diamonds that are cut in an antique style but are also cut for optimum light performance. I think they're beautiful and unique.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8240/

This one is in your price range.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
All that talk about ice cream .......

Now I want some !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was eating some (chocolate, people, THAT is the ONLY flavor) while starting to read this and now I need more. Dammit. :lickout:

Gypsy, I wish you'd been around when I was looking for my ering back in the day..'course PS wasn't around either but still. Regardless, you helped me decide what to do w/my ering now and it was such a relief! Do you offer handbag assistance as well?

Agapoula, you're in good hands here! I would definitely try to get some input as to what she likes, somehow, from someone. I'm a jeans and tshirts, brown and black purse, bargain loving girl too but I'm also kinda different. And I needed some input/control over something big like an ering. Gypsy's classic w/a twist idea is a good one. Doesn't hurt to be on the safe side and find out if your gf's idea of classic w/a twist is different, along the lines of a classic setting, the twist being the shape of the stone/ lower color etc.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a classic solitaire or simple pave solitaire is always the best bet when doing a *surprise* proposal. Those are safe bets and few women would object to them or not appreciate them for their classic beauty. Rings with a unique twist are not always to everyone's liking unfortunately. So if this is going to be a surprise, I would propose with a simple solitaire. You can always change the setting later!

P.S. I just had cookie dough ice cream. :naughty:

Shiny_Rock
Thats what I was thinking what diamond seeker said..I know I am only very new to this forum but I needed to put out the information on a classic round brilliant (modern cut) for a bright sparkly stone. That as most people have said is 'safer' as 90% of the pple like and if you buy the best stone you can afford you still can upgrade the setting later. The poster sounded like he was completely unsure as to colour/cut/clarity/colour and ring size etc, so I posted general knowledge on those areas from jewellers knowledge which webdiva disagreed with :(! in totality! which did surprise me! I thought introducing another unique cut the OEC might confuse the poor man more. Most men find it hard enough to balance a simple round brilliant with the right size with the other parameters of colour cut and clarity. Thats why I also asked the ring size and bought up the ring percentage coverage chart for carat size and ring size which webdiva also disregarded!

For a surprise proposal I thought maybe safer is better and gave some general parameters...for a beautiful bright stone. I also just wanted to point out the OEC was different from the norm. But as the newbie here I truly don't mean to rock any boats. There will always be dissenting opinions no matter what. I know Gypsy has eons of experience and gives excellent advice so I hope he has fun w the vendors lined up for him :)

angietime

Rough_Rock
Listen, MY second ring was waaaaaaay under $5000. You see how large it looks. If you are in NYC, I worked directly with diamond suppliers on 47th street. Are you guys in astoria? I got a lot of stuff made from there before, but if you'd like to compare what you see on Bluenile with prices in person, you can go to John Kikis's booth at 41 West 47th St #5. Call 347-554-0625 or 212-704-0642 or you can see his facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/john.kikis
or
https://www.facebook.com/pages/John-Kikis-Fine-Diamond-Jewelry/184147428314227

Majority of the Bluenile.com diamonds are here in New York to see in person. He can save you a few hundred dollars on them, and then you won't play the guessing game.

My family has been costumers of his for years. My friends have too.
Angie

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm also getting a classic solitaire vibe here - but I have to admit that I'm heavily biased towards classic solitaires!

Re finger size - does your gf wear any right-hand rings? I think it's safe to say that her left hand ring finger is going to be within one size of her right hand ring finger, maybe even within one-half size, so if there's a way for you to borrow one of her right hand rings for long enough to get it to a jewelry counter to be measured... that would give you a good place to start.

decodelighted|1341701724|3230279 said:
Since you're in NYC ... maybe check out The Clay Pot in Brooklyn and see if anything jumps out at you. The have some unique, modern designers & antique styles... It's also not just a jewelry store ... it has lots of, uh, Clay & Pots & giftware etc ... you COULD take her there and just kind of drag her by the jewelry area (not just engagement jewelry -- other stuff too) .... and see if she ooohs & ahhs at anything.

If you're still not comfortable choosing a ring style without her input, maybe you could plan an excursion that will take you near jewelry stores where you could kind of hang around the window displays? Like maybe a movie theater near or a restaurant, and get there early enough that you time to kill in front of the jewelry store. Just remember that the displays are likely to be taken down when the store closes for the night...

agapoula25

Rough_Rock

I hate to impose on you, but if it's not too much trouble, I might take you up on the offer. If they have Saturday hours, that would be perfect...thanks again :)

agapoula25

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1341753337|3230461 said:
Although much older, I am so much like her and I think I would recommend a traditional round brilliant solitaire...like I have! I am a teacher, traditional, very practical, like bargains, don't have a thing for purses or designer clothes, dress very casually, etc. Since she is not really into antiques, I think an antique stone may be risky, and especially not a lower color.

If you have access to go to Good Old Gold, I think that is your answer. They are a wonderful family-owned jewelry store on Long Island and they specialize in well cut stones and have many, many settings. My ring came from there and I can recommend Vatche as an excellent brand of solitaire rings. The Caroline is a beautiful 4 prong setting and the U-113 (which I have) is a repro of the Tiffany solitaire setting. These are of the Vatche Caroline (and the diamond, 1.15 cts., and ring came from WhiteFlash, another vendor who specializes in ideal cut rounds):

That's one BEAUTIFUL ring! :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
agapoula25|1341890228|3231380 said:

I hate to impose on you, but if it's not too much trouble, I might take you up on the offer. If they have Saturday hours, that would be perfect...thanks again :)

OKAY so Saturday isn't a good day. Can you take Friday Morning off? I can get you to OWD and ID that way. And then you can do GOG in Long Island on Saturday. I think it's important to go to a few stores and the reality of the diamond district is that closed on Saturdays.

Give me dates. And how early are you available? Do you want me to make the appointment for your screen name? Or do you have first name that you feel comfortable posting.

agapoula25

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1341753527|3230462 said:
And a couple of the Vatche U-113 (diamond and setting from Good Old Gold, diamond 1.5 cts.):

So is this one! Oh boy....lol...I do agree, from when I started looking at rings, these were the ones that caught my eye, the round solitaires....but it's not about what I like, is it? I'd rather hear from you ladies, that probably gives me a better shot at choosing the right one. Take me to Pep Boys to pick out 4 tires, hell yeah, I'll do a great job. But this,....ummmmm..... :read:

agapoula25

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1341890375|3231385 said:
agapoula25|1341890228|3231380 said:

Sure. Which day? Give me a date. And how early are you available? Do you want me to make the appointment for your screen name? Or do you have first name that you feel comfortable posting.

This Saturday would be great if possible (any time during the day), and you can use my first name, Jay.
Thanks!!

agapoula25

Rough_Rock
angietime|1341790237|3230736 said:
Listen, MY second ring was waaaaaaay under $5000. You see how large it looks. If you are in NYC, I worked directly with diamond suppliers on 47th street. Are you guys in astoria? I got a lot of stuff made from there before, but if you'd like to compare what you see on Bluenile with prices in person, you can go to John Kikis's booth at 41 West 47th St #5. Call 347-554-0625 or 212-704-0642 or you can see his facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/john.kikis
or
https://www.facebook.com/pages/John-Kikis-Fine-Diamond-Jewelry/184147428314227

Majority of the Bluenile.com diamonds are here in New York to see in person. He can save you a few hundred dollars on them, and then you won't play the guessing game.

My family has been costumers of his for years. My friends have too.
Angie

Angie, we are really close to Astoria (Woodside), and I also have a car, so that wouldn't be a problem. But what's in Astoria? I thought all the NYC diamond suppliers are in Midtown...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jay-- is that the 14th? And can you do one morning during the week this week or next week? Thursday or Friday? I can get you a 9:30 at ID Jewelry and then a 10:30 at OWD either of those days. But the diamond district is closed on Saturdays (religious observances).\

If you can get into the city one morning during the week give me the date and I'll book you an appointment and tell the jewelers what to pull for you so they can be ready for you.

Shiny_Rock
Original poster, the 6 prong solitaire that you think is beautiful is exactly the ring I was trying to describe to you and a lot of people have suggested. Getting the right diamond takes learning about the simple four Cs, which I tried to give some guidance on and what I velieved you wanted help on. This most classical ring is the ring 90% of woman like and is a Modern Round Brilliant with this cut u can always change the setting if want later. The other option which has been suggested to you, by Gypsy is the OEC (an old european cut which is an antique stone, pre loved and not as common). What myself and other posters are trying to say is the classical modern round brilliant cut ring as in the picture might be safer for a surprise proposal. The OEC, has larger facets and is a lower colour grade is different. If your girlfriend has size four finger a 1.2 carat ring with a modern round brilliant cut will look like the ring in the picture as her fingers are slim. Thats why I mentioned the diamond coverage chart as size of the diamond in carat is also relative to her finger size.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results