chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help with very dark sapphire - ring setting to lighten s

Probably so.

jerichoheart

Rough_Rock

Here is the finished version! :) I think the setting allows for a lot more light to come through, which helps a lot. I actually love the stone even more now that it's set. It completely changed the color. Before, it always looked blue and only blue. Now, it reminds me of the ocean -- parts of it appear green while parts of it appear blue. And the setting allows for the blue bands or "streaks" that are in it to still show through. I was scared when I had it set that I'd no longer be able to see the blue streaks, and that's my favorite part of the sapphire -- the part I've loved since I was a child. Now I know that they are actually flaws, ha, but to me, it adds character/uniqueness/beauty. The setting is by diamondjewelry8 on eBay (who I think is Ian.b0, but I'm not certain.) SO happy to finally have this sapphire I've treasured for 20 years finally in wearable form!

img_1746.jpg

img_1747.jpg

img_184.jpg

img_185.jpg

jerichoheart

Rough_Rock

Few more:

img_186.jpg

img_187.jpg

img_188.jpg

img_189.jpg

jerichoheart

Rough_Rock

Thank you all so much for your help!

img_1780.jpg

img_190.jpg

img_1787.jpg

jerichoheart

Rough_Rock

Last ones :)

img_1788.jpg

img_1789.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Perfect! It's not totally black (I can see the colours of blue and green), including the banding you mention. The setting fits it well too.

Coco914

Shiny_Rock

:appl: Thanks for coming back to post your hand shots! That's one bold, beautiful and blingy ring - I love how it turned out. More importantly, YOU'RE happy with it... Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A setting that "lightens" a stone?
No such thing, unless there is a setting with batteries and tiny LEDs.

ALL settings block some light from getting into and out of the stone.
I'd pick the setting that does not block light. - rather blocks as little as possible.

That means no halos.
Maybe a tension setting like this.

http://www.boonerings.com/stone-settings/sidegrooves.htm

_1293.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great job - for a dark stone, I see a lot of color. You chose an excellent setting!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

It's a lovely stone -- I really like the interesting inclusions in it. And your dream ring is absolutely gorgeous! But the LOGR one close enough that once you start wearing it, you'll probably not think of the difference -- just admiring it on your hand after all this time will be a major treat.

Can you send a photo of the stone to LOGR? Describing something like that in words is hard even when English is your first language. Maybe a pic plus dimensions would help them with the customizing. What a honey your father is to make it a Christmas present! I do love love!

Enjoy it for a long time.

--- Laurie

P.S. You have beautiful hands too!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

I nearly missed this because I was waiting for notification from the other thread :bigsmile:
I actually love the stone even more now that it's set. It completely changed the color. Before, it always looked blue and only blue. Now, it reminds me of the ocean -- parts of it appear green while parts of it appear blue. And the setting allows for the blue bands or "streaks" that are in it to still show through. I was scared when I had it set that I'd no longer be able to see the blue streaks, and that's my favorite part of the sapphire -- the part I've loved since I was a child. Now I know that they are actually flaws, ha, but to me, it adds character/uniqueness/beauty.
:appl: And THAT is what it's all about :appl:

You did extremely well considering the gem isn't a perfect cushion or oval and it looks lovely in the setting. Some Aussie sapphires are known for the green and blue mix (sometimes one or the other with yellow) and are called parti-coloured so that may in fact be what you have. So glad you love both your setting and the stone and can now wear it.

thekid98

Rough_Rock

Beautiful! I'm working on a similar project myself. May I ask what size diamonds are those on the halo? Is your setting a stock oval basket, or did they need to customize its shape to fit the perimeter of your stone? Great job!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results