shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with very dark sapphire - ring setting to lighten stone

jerichoheart

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! :)

I'm very new on this journey and could really use some help. Many years ago, I received an Australian blue green sapphire as a gift. I always thought it was beautiful and cherished it (it has tremendous sentimental value to me).

The problem is that it is beautiful when the light is coming through it, but when indoors, it turns into a black blob. Can anyone recommend a ring setting or suggestions that will allow more light to come through? I am clueless about all of this, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Someone said that I should not put a diamond halo around a dark stone as it will make it appear darker, is this accurate?

The other problem I'm having is that it's a bit of a larger cushion oval stone (4.28 carats. 12.42 long x 8.79 wide x 4.08 deep). I like very dainty jewelry, and I'm having a hard time finding a setting that can accommodate the stone and still appear dainty. I sent the measurements to an ebay seller who does custom jewelry (jewelryhere09) and they said the stone was too big to be set in a ring and would have to be re-cut??

I can't afford a super expensive setting (this is for a RHR), and was looking into some LOGR settings on eBay which I'll post a few pics of because I would greatly appreciate your opinions.

I'm including a few pics of the stone (with a little light coming through it -- it was rainy, so it's an indoor shot) and then no light coming through it. I would GREATLY appreciate your suggestions! Thank you so much for your help!

img_1631.jpg

img_1630.jpg

img_1618.jpg

img_1641.jpg

jerichoheart

Rough_Rock
Re: Help with very dark sapphire - ring setting to lighten s

Two LOGR ring settings I'm considering:

066a.jpg

066f.jpg

logroption.jpeg

__kgrhqf__pee8wr_eybwbpplwmcecw__60_1.jpg

jerichoheart

Rough_Rock

I should add the dimensions of the stones in these settings. Sorry. The topaz in the first setting is 7 x 9. The amethyst setting is an 8 x 10 (my stone is around 9 x 12.5). Do you think my stone is too big for these settings and would look bad/out or proportion?

106d.jpg

106g.jpg

106h.jpg

c3d3a3c28ab2d6f3fc0042445625b2e8.jpg

jerichoheart

Rough_Rock

Sun came out, so I took a pic of the sapphire on my hand. I know it's not the most desirable color, but the gem was a gift & has sentimental value and means a lot to me. Just want to make sure I choose a setting that enhances it as best as possible.

img_107.jpg

Coco914

Shiny_Rock

While your sapphire may be darker than what's considered "ideal", I actually like it quite a bit. I have a number of sapphires that vary in colors from pastel blue to deep midnight blue...and my favorite happens to be the darkest. Can't help it, that's just my taste! Anyway, yours is a very nice size and I think you have options with regard to the setting...

If you have your heart set on a halo, I'd spring for an upgrade on the diamonds...and I'd go with white gold...to contrast the deep blue of your stone. I love this one, which was owned by a fellow Pricescoper, that recently sold on the DB. It's similar to the setting the Amethyst is in, only more "open".

There's also the option of having the stone set higher, in a bridge style setting. That would let light in on all sides, like in the photo below. You could probably have DanielM create a custom ring like this at a reasonable price.

highset.jpg

2179459.jpg

jerichoheart

Rough_Rock

Hi Coco914,

Thank you so much for your kind words! I greatly appreciate your response and suggesting a bridge type setting. I absolutely LOVE the ring setting you posted in the last pic (with the halo, and it appears tanzanite?). Do you have more pictures/views of that ring/setting, or know where the setting came from? Was it a DanielM custom made setting? Thank you so much for your help!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

my opinion and rambling thoughts:
1-i knew it was australian the minute i saw the pictures and before i read the thread.
2-i like australian sapphires
3-i can't tell but is this a cab or are there a few facets high up?
4-i like your sapphire but it is not of the high end surround me with diamonds quality....i think too many will call attention to its flaws rather than its making its flaws features.
5-please do NOT cut this stone! i know you like dainty but once cut, you won't be able to get it back and there is no guarantee it will be any "lighter" anyway.
6-you say this has sentimental value: preserve that by NOT cutting it, please please please. i love the size.
7-have you thought of having set as a pendant?
8-if you must have a ring and that ring must have diamonds, perhaps a setting with some down the shank [not a lot] would be better.
9-i think putting a halo on this stone will make it look darker.
10-and a third time: please do not get talked into cutting to fit a setting: i'd rather see you set it as a plain solitaire than do that.

eta: i like the first photo coco posted.....and i'd set this east/west orientation if it were me.

jerichoheart

Rough_Rock

Hi movie zombie! :twirl:

Thanks so much for your help and advice! It's not a cab, I just have a very, very old camera which can't seem to pick up the facets :) It actually has quite a few (I counted around 26 on just the face of the stone and then I gave up, ha). The first 3 pictures I posted, the gem was actually upside down. Unfortunately, my camera can't seem to focus on the stone and ends up blurring.

I took it to a reputable independent gemstone/diamond appraiser and he said it is $1,000, which I know is not very much for a sapphire that is 4 carats. I've seen tiny ones at local jewelry stores that are 3x that price. So, I couldn't figure out why mine was so large but appraised so low. I'm guessing now it's because of the color/flaws?

No worries -- I would NEVER cut this gemstone. It's definitely not an option :) That would break my heart. I've treasured it for 20 years.

Local jewelers have recommended that I have it put into a pendant too, but I don't ever wear pendants and I'm afraid it would just sit in my jewelry box. =\

Do you think this ring setting (with a different/larger head of course) would be suitable? It's a bit more simple and might showcase the sapphire more: (it's by AmericanSet)

Or do you think it would be better to go with a split shank to help balance out the size of the stone?

Thank you again for your help! I would be completely lost without you all!

__kgrhqj__jye3mewi_ydbn6b4y3soq__0_3.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My thoughts (for what they're worth)!

1. It's definitely NOT too big for a ring.

2. I wonder if the Ebay seller was trying to say it was the wrong proportions for a ready made setting? Typically with a length of nearly 9mm you'd go for a 9x7 but I suspect that your stone is much skinnier than 7mm (it's a very elongated oval - which I love BTW).

3. If I'm right about the dimensions, it's going to be problematic fitting it into a ready made setting. If I'm wrong then you may have some choice but I suspect it'll be limited.

4. Is it a cab? It's difficult to tell. If it is, you need also to consider the prongs.

5. The first LOGR setting you've posted has the perfect open basket underneath and whatever you go for, I would strongly suggest you limit your search to settings like this one. However that LOGR won't fit your stone as yours isn't a normal oval. LOGR can customise settings to your stone BUT they will only suggest one or two (this is because of the shape of your stone) and they may not have any they can customise. Bear in mind if you go for this option you must be VERY VERY VERY clear about the dimensions of your stone. Their first language is not English and a number of people have had their requests misinterpreted.

6. To keep costs down, have you considered silver? You might be able to get somebody on Etsy to make you a silver setting.

To keep as much light as possible you need to set the gem as high as you can/want, have prongs and not bezel and keep the back open. This is all you can really do. Unfortunately I suspect because your gem is very dark to begin with, it's not going to look lighter. The only thing you could try is to place the gem on a silver coin - sometimes light can be reflected back from a solid back, other times it just makes things worse. Have a go and see what happens - you never know!

Coco914

Shiny_Rock

Jerichoheart - I do love the halo I posted. The stone in the center is actually a light blue sapphire. Here is the original link to the ring when it was posted here on Pricescope...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/light-blue-sapphire-michael-e-made-a-beautiful-halo-for-me.176780/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/light-blue-sapphire-michael-e-made-a-beautiful-halo-for-me.176780/[/URL]

Whatever route you go with setting, I'd love to see what you decide on! (I'm not a pendant person, either btw.)

Moviezombie - When you say the halo will bring out the stone's "flaws" were you referring to the darker color? Or cutting issues? I don't personally feel that a stone has to be the ideal color in order to have a halo set around it. ::shrugs:: I rather like the idea of contrasting the darkness of the sapphire with bright diamonds, especially being that this is a sentimental gem. In a sense, it makes a statement - that its a special or valued stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A setting won't improve the stone's appearance but you can get something that won't make it look worse. I do not recommend a halo because it will provide too much contrast (think zebra) and further close out the light where the sapphire ends up looking like a black blob even in lighting where it used to look fine. Select a setting that is as open as possible and some bling down the shank for interest is fine.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Chrono explained it.

AU sapphires often have zoning and that will be more apparent in this stone with a halo.

i'd go east/west setting with a split shank if i thought i absolutely had to have diamonds with it.

and whatever setting, i'd keep it simple. your stone while not "ideal" is ring worthy and should be the start of the show, not the "bling".

imo...as always!

Coco914

Shiny_Rock

Chrono/MZ - I see what you both mean with regard to zoning and why one might not wish to draw attention to that. Still disagree with regard to the contrast between diamonds and a dark stone, but to each her own! My opinion is simply that...an opinion. Regardless of what the OP decides, I like the sapphire and would love seeing what she decides to go with. :D

jerichoheart

Rough_Rock

Thank you all SO much!

Coco914, I will definitely post pics once I get the stone set!! :) I really appreciate the pics you posted of the settings, and thank you so much for sharing the link with more info! I go back and forth about the halo -- I'm the same with you in that I like the light/dark contrast. I especially love the halo on the pic you posted!! I'm literally changing my mind about the halo every 5 min. Not sure what I'm going to do.

LD -- It is actually closer to a 12.5 x 9 x 4 size stone (not a cad -- my camera just can't pick up the details of all the facets for some reason. Or perhaps it's the fault of the one taking the pictures? ha :) ) They said it is not a standard stone and would need a custom setting. Thank you for the specific advice about LOGR! VERY helpful! I did ask about silver, and just about got laughed out of the jewelry store :( They were not very nice about it. If you know of someone who does custom settings in silver, please let me know! I will definitely look into etsy. I would be very interested in that option as I need something cost-effective.

That's too funny that the flaw in the sapphire is actually my favorite part. I guess it is called zoning? I love that it has parts of it that look green and then has beautiful blue lines going through it. I thought it made it unique and I was sad that the zoning got "lost" without light shining through the stone. The things you learn! I'm definitely getting an education here & enjoying learning.

Thank you all so very much for your kind help & suggestions! :)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

yes, each to their own opinion!

personally, i think an east/west setting with a split shank with some diamonds would work for this sapphire. gives a bit of bling but shouldn't over power the sapphire and show its imperfections: in fact, at that point i'd probably tell people it was deliberate to highlight them! i like the zoning in this stone. its unique and has personality. and i like that lots.

Coco914

Shiny_Rock

I love a stone with personality, too. To be honest, I think this one will be pretty no matter how its set. I can certainly see it looking very at home and lovely in a split shank... a ring doesn't have to be blingy to be a quality piece.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jericoheart - lots of the Etsy vendors work with silver. Do a search for "Etsy" on this part of the forum and you should see loads of names pop up! I've only used Sally from HeartofWater (often abbreviated to HoW on here) but I know others have used a wide range of Etsy artists. There's one who works specifically with silver but I'm afraid I can't remember his name (sorry). Hopefully others will chime in to help.

Coco914

Shiny_Rock

I like your wife's sapphire ring setting... It's quite substantial. Did you have that modified by an eBay vendor?? Or a local jeweler??

Thanks for posting!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'd look into Daniel M at etsy. http://www.etsy.com/shop/danielmjewelry

I'd do EW in this setting (Britney Spears' engagement ring to Kevin Federline):

britney_ring.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

jerichoheart

Rough_Rock

You all are the BEST! Thank you SO much for all the additional responses/help and pictures! It is helping me tremendously figure out what I want to do! I found my dream setting on etsy (I'll post a pic) but can't afford it right now. I am thinking about temporarily putting it into a LOGR setting, and then saving up my money for a custom design down the road. I am looking into artists on etsy who specialize in silver so I might go that route, too. I also found a comparable setting to the one on etsy that I love, and I asked the man if he could give me a price quote for a slight re-design to make it look more like my dream etsy setting. The first pic is the etsy one ($1300) and the second one is by Diamond Jewelry Zone (China). Anyone ever heard of or used diamondjewelryzone on eBay? I asked them if they could make it in white gold for a cushion oval cut, and then add diamonds to both sides of the shank.

If this doesn't work out, then after seeing the pic FrekeChild posted, I'm leaning toward the dainty split shank in the very first pic of ring settings by LOGR that I posted.

BlountJewelsInc -- Thank you for posting the pic of your wife's beautiful sapphire ring!! It helped me so much seeing a sapphire the same size in an actual ring setting!!

Thank you again for all of your help! Your suggestions have been extremely helpful!

il_15.jpg

9d698fd825100ce733574628c2608322.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The Etsy setting is very pretty but uses a much smaller stone. Once your stone is set into it, the twisted shank can probably only be seen peeking from the side but don't let that stop you from getting it. I think your stone will look great in it and applaud your choice in holding off until you save up enough for it.

jerichoheart

Rough_Rock

Do you think it will still be that way if I have it set normally (North/South) as opposed to East West? You're right that the sapphire does take up most of my finger even when sitting North/South. I wonder if I have the setting up higher, if it would show the band better?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A 4 ct stone is a 4 ct stone no matter which way you look at it; setting it N/S will allow more of the band to show through. I would not set it higher though because you have the stone's natural depth to work with. Too high and it's either going to spin or get knocked about or a combination of the two.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well everyone probably knows just how much I love Aussie sapphires (I'm wearing mine right now! :love: ) BUT actually I'd say get it recut. I know you have said this wasn't an option but perhaps just getting it re-faceted in a slightly shallower cut may improve the tone and allow you to see those divine silky coloured bands! :naughty: It would give it more sparkle and it's so large - hopefully you wouldn't lose much in dimensions AND you could also get it cut to fit a standard ring size! eg. 12x10 or 10x8 etc. :appl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

i know you want to get this set and wear it NOW.....
but i think you'd be better off using that same $ to go towards your dream setting.
do it once and do it right.
and at this point after all these years, why settle for less?
having $400 already set aside could be the motivation to save the remaing $900 for your dream setting.
you're already 1/3 [just under] of the way there.

jerichoheart

Rough_Rock

Thank you all again for your help and suggestions!! I've decided to go ahead and get the first setting from LOGR (the first pics of settings that I posted that has a split shank pave with the topaz set in it). LOGR e-mailed me back and gave me an offer I couldn't refuse :) My Dad is purchasing it for me for Christmas, and then in the future when I have enough $$ I will upgrade if I'm not completely happy with the LOGR (although, I'm hoping I will be!).

Here is my question...I have taken the stone to several jewelers and half have called it an "oval" and the other half have called it "cushion." Two others (including a gemologist) that I took it to called it a "cushion oval" Based on the pics I posted above, can anyone tell me what shape they think is safest to call it? I told LOGR it was a "cushion oval" and then later referred to it as a "cushion." Do you think it will fit into a cushion setting? Will post pics of the setting in an "oval" shape that I purchased (but LOGR is customizing it to a cushion). Please advise! I haven't "agreed" to buy it yet so I can still make changes. Thank you again for your help!

_536.jpg

_537.jpg

jerichoheart

Rough_Rock

Another pic of the sapphire:

img_1673.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The shape seems closer to a rectangular cushion (with rounded corners) than a true oval.

jerichoheart

Rough_Rock

do you think it would have any issues fitting into a cushion setting even though it has rounded corners? I'm just trying to determine what shape I should have LOGR make the setting. Do you think cushion is my safest bet?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results