shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with push present

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So my daughter in law is expecting in Nov or Dec and has said she may want an eternity band with diamonds interspersed with topaz,citrine or tanzanite. Depending on month she has baby. She wants to wear as a right hand ring everyday. And eventually hand it down to her daughter. From my experience and what I have read I know these gemstones are not as hard as diamonds. Especially with everyday wear of a new mom lol diaper cream ,soaps etc. But I’m no expert so I’ve come here for some pointers. What do you think? I wear my mothers eternity band of all diamonds and it is the same as it wAs the day she got it 30 years ago. I just worry about the longevity. Thanks.

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
This is such a lovely and thoughtful idea for a gift. I would not pick tanzanite. Topaz would be my first choice and citrine my second. Topaz is harder than the other two options. However, citrine can be easily and inexpensively replaced once they start to show wear.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I’d agree it wouldn’t be good for a sentimental piece to be made with gemstones that aren’t durable enough for daily wear. Can she do another eternity band (diamonds/ sapphires/ whatever else is durable enough) and have the birthstones placed on the inside of the band? Or as a piece of jewelry that would take less damage? Earrings? A pendant?

I wanted something similar to what your DIL wanted for my push present but my kid decided to come early so his birthstone is aquamarine. I was so hopeful he’d be a diamond baby… Anyway, killed my plan for a daily wear ring push present in his birthstone.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would not give a thought to any of them. She would have to wear them daily, AND keep her hands in water all the time AND chemicals/soaps to ruin the stones. The only stone I ever worry about wear and tear including cleaning, is pearls.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am cough cough almost 51 and i have the eternity band my dad gave my mum when i was born
i am furtunate to be a saphire baby

if your DIL is sentimental how would she feel about replacing damaged stones when the time comes?

you have time providing the baby is patient
to look into alturnitive birth stones (or some other more practile piece of jewlery)
https://www.gemsociety.org/article/birthstone-alternatives-season-hour-day-even-guardian-angel/

i like the pendent idea rather than subject such an important piece with an unsuitable gemstone to a life it is unsuited to that will most likely ruin it or she fully understands its not going to be an everyday wear

or your son needs to win lotto so he can afford to hire a ladies maid or at least some good domestic staff, cooks, cleaners, nannies, garndeners ets so the mum doesn't have to lift a finger

So my daughter in law is expecting in Nov or Dec and has said she may want an eternity band with diamonds interspersed with topaz,citrine or tanzanite. Depending on month she has baby. She wants to wear as a right hand ring everyday. And eventually hand it down to her daughter. From my experience and what I have read I know these gemstones are not as hard as diamonds. Especially with everyday wear of a new mom lol diaper cream ,soaps etc. But I’m no expert so I’ve come here for some pointers. What do you think? I wear my mothers eternity band of all diamonds and it is the same as it wAs the day she got it 30 years ago. I just worry about the longevity. Thanks.

I just wanted to pop in and says CONGRATULATIONS on the impending birth of your grandbaby!!
1899449huiscpgoci.gif
And best wishes for finding the perfect gift to mark such a special occasion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results