shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Light blue/violet sapphire with Sparkle!

goldie_locks

Shiny_Rock
It would be helpful to know what he charges for this service, as there may be quite a few who are willing to do this for a fee.

Prompt email back from Jeff :). The summary is he doesn't normally do sourcing (the exception being already established customers) but thought in this instance he could help me find the perfect stone. In general, he wouldn't charge a fee unless there were significant costs accruing from shipping back and forth a bunch. So, probably doesn't hurt to reach out. He may even have some rough he plans to cut or stones in his stock that he hasn't posted yet.

Last edited:

coralee87

Rough_Rock
Awesome! I actually sent him a message through his site this morning and am waiting to hear back. @Bex

coralee87

Rough_Rock
Prompt email back from Jeff :). The summary is he doesn't normally do sourcing (the exception being already established customers) but thought in this instance he could help me find the perfect stone. In general, he wouldn't charge a fee unless there were significant costs accruing from shipping back and forth a bunch. So, probably doesn't hurt to reach out. He may even have some rough he plans to cut or stones in his stock that he hasn't posted yet.

Thanks! I emailed him a few hours ago and am waiting to hear back!

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I do think it would be worth asking Jeff White too, I ogle his cuts all the time, and that rough has some really pretty pieces.

coralee87

Rough_Rock
I do think it would be worth asking Jeff White too, I ogle his cuts all the time, and that rough has some really pretty pieces.

Yup! messaged him this afternoon and waiting to hear back :)

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you make a trip to see Joe Escobar in San Fransisco? He seems to have quite a lot of stock and it might help you to go through a lot of stones in one place. It will be so much easier to make a choice once you have had a chance to play with some different options in person.

Otherwise I would consider seeing this one in person to try to work out if it is sparkly enough.

And concavegems has a few items which match what you are looking for -- but you should really see some concave cut stones in person first as they have a different type of sparkle.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Just as an fyi, if you search for "Richard Homer" (concavegems) on everyone's favorite auction site that starts with an E, there is currently one seller listing about a dozen of his sapphire stones in new unset condition at close to half what similar ones are priced at on his site. Anyone want to pull the trigger? :geek2:

coralee87

Rough_Rock
@qubitasaurus I actually live in SF!! Thanks for the suggestion! I went to brilliant earth last week and the options were super limited.

coralee87

Rough_Rock
I've seen a few stones i like on etsy but the vendors are small/don't have many reviews. I saw this one stone that seemed too good to be true, unheated round 3cts and only 1k! What do you recommend doing? Getting more photos and reports? Or would you only buy from a trusted dealer?

Last edited:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow that sounds awesome :D, I have been reading both of these threads (1, 2) and wishing SF wasn't so far away.

They may even be able to help you bring something in from a larger supplier, who will have a more complete inventory for you to chose from. In the mean time though, I would just go look at everything (even stuff that is the wrong shape) just to get a better feeling for what you love, and what is negotiable.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that sounds awesome :D, I have been reading both of these threads (1, 2) and wishing SF wasn't so far away.

They may even be able to help you bring something in from a larger supplier, who will have a more complete inventory for you to chose from. In the mean time though, I would just go look at everything (even stuff that is the wrong shape) just to get a better feeling for what you love, and what is negotiable.

Such a great idea! Joe Escobar has access to a deep inventory of stones, in addition to all that he has on hand.

coralee87

Rough_Rock
il_570xN.1221146849_bzpg.jpg
Awesome!!! I will check it out Joe Escobar!

I found this stone on etsy.It's the perfect color/size, but I'm concerned because it's from a small vendor with only a couple reviews. It's 7.5 mm, supposedly eye clean and unheated, with no reports, and is only $1k. That seems suspicious to me. They offer a 2 week return. They said they are not set up to take additional photos which is weird...

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
il_570xN.1221146849_bzpg.jpg
Awesome!!! I will check it out Joe Escobar!

I found this stone on etsy.It's the perfect color/size, but I'm concerned because it's from a small vendor with only a couple reviews. It's 7.5 mm, supposedly eye clean and unheated, with no reports, and is only $1k. That seems suspicious to me. They offer a 2 week return. They said they are not set up to take additional photos which is weird...

There's no reason for a vendor to say they can't take more pics. I would also be wary of the price point. Is this a case of it looks way better in pics than it would in real life? It kind of seems that way.

coralee87

Rough_Rock
Elle - that was my concern too. Seems so cheap for an unheated stone. And very weird that they won't take more pics....

Bex

Shiny_Rock
Elle - that was my concern too. Seems so cheap for an unheated stone. And very weird that they won't take more pics....

My guess is that they don't actually have the stone in hand to take more pictures.

I'm also almost positive that the Etsy storefront is the same as Planetary Gems, which has received pretty poor reviews

goldie_locks

Shiny_Rock

goldie_locks

Shiny_Rock
So the one from earth's treasury came from the same small set of stones from Sri Lanka as the one I ordered, and then returned: http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/2-03-carat-medium-cornflower-blue-ceylon-sapphire/

Not sure if it's helpful, but here are my own pics of the darker ceylon from that earth's treasury lot. You can see on the lower pic that there was a little bit of violetish tone in my indoor only light. I did find the color in person to be pretty true to the hand pics and video that Jeff had sent me beforehand.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

coralee87

Rough_Rock
@dimaond_newb wow thanks! The stone looks really beautiful, I might consider it. Does look very violet in that photo!

goldie_locks

Shiny_Rock
@dimaond_newb wow thanks! The stone looks really beautiful, I might consider it. Does look very violet in that photo!

You're welcome! I'm glad it's helpful. I feel like you're at the place I was a week or two ago and I know I appreciated (still appreciate!) every little bit of input I can get :). Jeff was really accommodating about sending two stones, so might be worth it to see both, or even three if you want to throw in the lilac colored one you were also eyeing.

coralee87

Rough_Rock
Thank you! Did you end up finding your perfect stone?

goldie_locks

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! Did you end up finding your perfect stone?

I'm very optimistic that I did. Jeff is bringing in three stones to compare (pics below). Top two are Roger Dery's. I'm not sure where the bottom one is coming from, but if it lives up to expectations based on the pic, I think it's the winner - it fits all of the original "must haves" - round, royal blue, and as big as my budget will allow (8mm). The fact that I might have found THE ONE makes me think you should hold out too, if you have the time and energy. Should have pics and video early next week.

SapphireBlueCombo_4680.jpg 20684510_10102505889935387_1149286421_o.jpeg

goldie_locks

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @coralee87! I definitely have my fingers crossed. Keep us updated on how your search goes!

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
That sapphire you posted as your "dream color" is definitely more on the purple side. Do you think purple is what you're going for?

I found this one on Earth's Treasury.

- A blue-violet to purple color change sapphire
http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/1-54-carat-blue-violet-to-purple-color-change-umba-sapphire/
sapphire 1.jpg
sapphire 2.jpg

To me, that debth of color would be nice, especially for a purple sapphire. It doesn't appear windowed either. But the killer are the many little obvious spots throughout the interior of the stone, which are very noticeable when you look closely at the pictures. Whether they would be as obvious without magnification is a different question. But I would have to think that they would reduce clarity and brightness.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it doesn't work out, check brilliant earth.w

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results