shape
carat
color
clarity

Violet- 2.56ct Color Shifting Sapphire in a SK half moon and pear trellis

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
Violet-
Sapphire 2.56ct 7.6x6.6mm color shifting sapphire from Joe Escobar in San Jose sourced from Ryan

IMG_0484.JPG
Setting- Steven Kirsch 5 stone trellis
950 Platinum
Side stones- sourced by SK
.32tcw G/VS half moon ~2x4mm
.27tcw pears ~5x3mm The request was minimal bow ties and chubby
Finger Shot.jpg
(Excuse my other ring tan...)
IMG_1380.JPG

I started this journey in love with colored stones in 2012- namely sapphires. I fell in love with how many unheated sapphires had a color changing capacity encompassing both of my favorite colors of purple and blue. I had purchased and returned many sapphires from of PS favorite vendors and had a lot of advice from Chrono, MinouBijoux, Frekechild including many others and developed a taste for what I loved. During this process I learned I didn’t care for what was considered optimal on the market and lower tone was my love. I had read about Joe Escobar on the threads and since they were local, I visited. I was so very lucky to meet Ryan on one of my visits. I found out his father was a gem dealer and one weekend be brought a bunch of goodies for me to see. I easily spent 3 hours there just looking at all different types of loose colored stones. I met Violet near the end of one of visit when he told me he had something special that his father had kept for at least a decade as “old material”. She had a belly and therefore faced up a little smaller but I loved her color. I revisited multiple times and finally decided to make a purchase in 2013.

I debated over many settings and noticed that I wavered in settings and changed my mind on whims so I decided to hold this stone until I could stay steady on a single design. Yssie had her original 5 stone come out in 2011 and reset in 2012 and I was in love with the perfect curves and artistry of her setting both from the gallery and from the top. SarahB’s 3 stone trellis came out in 2013 and I was in love with those graceful curves as well. I kept wavering. Finally in 2016 I had settled that I wanted a trellis with pears and potentially half moons if possible.

I called up many vendors for approximate pricing and feasibility including JE, DK, WF, DBL, BE, VC, SK and LM.
VC told me it wasn’t possible from hand forging.

LM told me it would be ugly and he only does “classic style settings” even though he had a beautiful trellis done in the past
BE, DK, WF, SK both gave me quick quotes
DBL’s price was extraordinarily high and even higher when I asked for a quote from the uber bench- close to the price of the stones and setting
JE- gave me a relatively high quote in person. Their process would be hand carving wax. I balked when I realized they weren’t going to spend time finding the perfect diamonds for my setting and were only going to use what was on hand.

BE had just produced a lovely setting for Valmanin’s solitaire and I was impressed with the artistry of the curves and their price was reasonable so I decided to move forward. They told me a 5 stone with half moons and pears wouldn’t be possible so I opted for a 3 stone with pear trellis. After 5 rounds of CADs over many months, I had decided that they didn’t have the skill required to execute my vision despite their constant assurance they could make me happy and it would be beneficial to both parties to depart this relationship.

I took a long break since I was so exhausted from this process. Something that Frekechild reminded me was to chose a vendor who had already executed something similar. Tired of having to micromanage a vendor and knowing that both trellis’s were hand forged , I opted for that decision. I know CADs have been made of the trellis but I noticed that they lacked the crisp and clean finish I desired. Since LM and VC had turned down my project and SK had made such a beautiful ring for sarahB I opted for SK.

I was lucky that I had a trip to NY and was able to meet him in person. It was a relief to understand my vision and how important weird little details like chubby pears and the beauty of the gallery was important to me. Something that bothered me was that BE kept telling me that I wouldn’t see the gallery much so some of the details I cared about didn’t matter. He assured me it would be beautiful. I didn’t give him much instruction other than

- the images of yssie and sarahb’s trellis rings
- I wanted tapering from the top view of my ring – pears and half moons were preferable. I gave him free reign on how to choose pears and half moons. For the pears, I desired chubby pears with minimal bowties.
- I cared about how the wires looked under the basket and the gallery
- This crappy picture
Drawing of ring.jpg
We eventually scrapped sizing beads and decided to take a pause before putting them in. We also decided baguettes were too long and didn't help the taper and switched in pears.

After 6 weeks, he shipped off my baby.
This journey has been long and worthwhile. My key learnings were

1) Chose a vendor who has made something like your idea before or at least shares your vision. If you care about details, don’t fall for the lowest price. It’s not worth the heart and headache. Visiting the vendor doesn’t hurt either

2) If you’re working with side stones, work with someone who is willing to dig through a parcel of diamonds to find the “ones”. It really helps with the proportion of the stones. I found that both BE and JE were not willing to source outside stones for me. Fancy shapes are really hard to find and match on your own without abundant resources. I think that’s what makes LM separate from much of the pack, is that he’s willing to take the time to source stones.

3) Sizing can be vendor dependent. My size at Tiffany’s, JE and SK varied approximately over 1.25 sizes.

4) Colored stones are up to your own taste. Nobody can tell you what you want. Slow down and develop your own tastes. My sapphire is far from market optimally cut but it has such beautiful color. It’s deep belly is the reason why it holds color. They are so different than diamonds. Similarly learn all the weird quirks of fancy cuts. I originally set out to find my own side stones thinking that much like all the ladies on PS they would be easily found.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous color and the ring turned out beautifully!

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
More shameless pictures. I have gained a lot of respect to those who take really detailed pretty upclose shots. There was a wedding centerpiece left over that I dismantled and played with.. SK Rose.JPG
Poor flower already was a week old and had sat through 100 degree Napa weather
IMG_1386.JPG
These succulents were so cute!
IMG_1383.JPG IMG_1384.JPG

More Random upclose shots
IMG_1378.JPG

Side shot
IMG_1379.JPG

Butt Shot. I love the wirework that nobody can see except when it's off. It's so precise and beautiful
IMG_1381.JPG
Another angle butt shot.
IMG_1382.JPG

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love:Your ring is stunning!! SK did an amazing job. Both the stone and setting are top notch.
Thamks for sharing your journey. It was a long road but the result was worth it:love:

Nitedula

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow, you put a lot of work into getting this ring perfect, and it shows! Gorgeous.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring! I would love to see more pictures! Lovely details, I like how the stone is visible from the side. :love::wavey:

Bordeaux

Rough_Rock
An oval with half moon side stones is one of my favorite combos and the pears are just the cherry on top! :love: The color of your sapphire is so vibrant as well! Enjoy!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness these look even more amazing on my giant monitor at the office... and I love that SK was willing to provide a handful of "on the bench" pics!!

The proportions. The stone shapes. The graduation. The gallery - oh my goodness, the gallery... Everything about this is absolutely perfect, design and execution - this style just doesn't get better than this specimen right here :love:

Congratulations!!! I hope you enjoy her for many, many years ::)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW - this is a truly stunning ring - the proportions, the graceful organic flow - perfection!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's stunning in every way. I LOVE how much time and thought you put into this creation and how you zenfully let it take it's own time so that you'd get exactly what you want. And I have major respect that you knew when to amicably part ways with a vendor and seek someone else. No harm in that and better for both parties.

Your sapphire is so, so beautiful. I'd love a montana sapphire but finding the right one seems so daunting!

I think SK nailed the proportions of the half moons and pears, the whole things looks expertly crafted. Enjoy your masterpiece, it's gorgeous!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a masterful creation! That color! The scale and flow of the side stones! The trellis! All brilliant! Thank you for sharing your story and stunning ring with us!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my favourite colour. Ever.

What a beautiful stone and wow! What a ring! The diamonds, the design, the wire work - it's all just amazing & has pulled together perfectly! You must be absolutely thrilled! What wedding band will you pair it with?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally gorgeous :love:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. I'm glad you stuck with your guns and kept working to get what you wanted. It came out beautifully! I love that color sapphire and the detailing on your ring is freaking gorgeous!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful sapphire and side stones and the lines of the setting. So smooth and sexy. Great job putting this ring together. I enjoyed the bench pics as well. Wear it in much happiness.

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow what a stunning ring! Thank you so much for sharing your process. I have been lurking around off & on for the last few months and am really starting to see what stones and ring styles I like. I just purchased my first gems, two spinels from LoupeTroop and am trying to figure how I might want to set them but I feel a little overwhelmed with the setting process so I really appreciate how you have broken down your experience with photos, explanations of why certain vendors weren't right for your project, and what you learned from it in the end. I think it is fantastic how you picked a stone that may not be perfect on paper but for you it was just what you wanted and were not swayed by what others may have thought of as faults! Thanks again for sharing and enjoy your work of art!

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
What an absolutely gorgeous ring and sapphire, and it was really neat to read about your journey and the different paths you took!

If people really are curious, I'm game to upload the 6 rounds of cads with BE...

I'd be interested!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring!!! The color of the sapphire is so pleasing! :love:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful sapphire and the ring looks fabulous! Congratulations.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone and really lovely elegant ring, congrats!!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! I really love the cute and color. So deep and lovely!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really beautiful ring! I LOVE the color of the sapphire! Congratulations.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful, congratulations!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! I love the color of your sapphire and totally agree that there are SO many gorgeous colors aside from the supposed "optimal" color! I have a lighter lavender blue stone myself! SK did an excellent job on the setting and that design is not easy to execute in handforged judging from previous member experiences. I 100% agree with using a vendor who has made the style ring before or makes a similar style to what you want. I have also learned that handforged is good for certain rings and cast is better for others. So happy for you that you ended up with exactly what you wanted!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous!!! :love::love::love: I LOVE everything about it, from the color of the sapphire to the gorgeous setting. I am a stickler for my jewelry to be miniature pieces of art and you and SK absolutely nailed it on this ring. Congratulations!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone and a gorgeous ring! Glad you finally got exactly what you wanted!

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
MissGotRocks, Acinom, Nitedula, acaw2015, Bordeaux, marymm, Bonfire, Austina, elle_71125, Sandeek, ac117,marcy, burmesedaze, arkieb1,MakingTheGrade, Bluegemz,Octo2005,diamondseeker2006,alene -Thank you all for your kind words! It's been a long journey but I am grateful that this is the end! I also wanted to thank the PS community to have supported me throughout this process!

Yssie- Thank you for your support! It means so much coming from someone who created the initial inspiration!

JDDN- Leaving a vendor is never easy. It was so disappointing to have to get to that point but I didn't see the point of wasting $$ in something that I knew wouldn't meet my requirements. Finding the colored stone that speaks to you is soooo hard. I can tell you that searching for the sapphire itself took close to a year or two. Unfortunately, colored stones are getting harder to find lately. I was very lucky that I didn't have any clear timelines except whatever was in my head.

Alex T- I'm actually not engaged or married. This was a just for fun ring for myself. My poor boyfriend is a little afraid of the bar I've set though. I do wear a cheapo rose gold twisted band on my middle finger every day but never next to this ring because the banging feeling is weird between them.

Hivona- I totally understand how scary setting can be!:-o So many options and so many vendors! My very first setting was $150 in silver with a spinel and I learned a lot from that process as well including how to interact with the vendor, how CAD translated into real life. I also was very lucky to have many many PSers who held my hands over the years. Elle from thegemstoneproject has been a great friend and eye for feedback and I would recommend her as a mentor/designer.

deorwine- let me find a bit of time to configure all the pictures and I'll have them up! I wasn't sure if people would feel it would be picture overload.

Catmom - I totally get what you mean by jewelry to be miniature pieces of art even in the details that not everybody else can see

Yesterday I was walking to the parking lot and remembered one of my favorite colors it throws off as the sun is setting and couldn't resist taking a picture! (Sorry my nails are perpetually in the state that they need more tender loving care!)
Shade.jpg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results