shape
carat
color
clarity

help with engagement ring

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure why you think they will not/cannot straighten things out; sounds as if they are doing their best to unravel the snafu asap & this means you need not take it to a local jeweler/appraiser for a reading of the GIA laser inscription. I honestly don't think it's weird that there's a 5-day time frame for dropping off the package at a neighborhood FedEx shipping center, and because your purchase is under $10,000, you can do that over the weekend (their insurance will not cover merchandise priced at more than 10Gs that a customer hands over to FedEx on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday),

Best wishes!

piano

Rough_Rock
Maybe I am over-reacted :(
Let me take a deep breath.

I have 4 more days to deal with this.
I do hope it works out in the end.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It won't be easy to find a stone of this quality at this price, even considering strong fluo.
They did a full investigation and contacted you before you even got the package. At least, they are really trying to fix this. This is a good sign.

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
So did they send you the correct stone but wrong certificate? Did you check the fluorescence in the sun to see if it's hazy?

piano

Rough_Rock
Honestly, I only looked at it twice since I got it.
Very bz at work lately, and not get home until late night.
That's why I need time to verify the stone too. I just don't want to send back the cert. now and find out later that the stone was also wrong
I certainly hope not.
Anyway, I have to get it checked today and get everything straighten b4 the label expired.

piano

Rough_Rock
By the way, it looks so much smaller than I thought :)
It looks no where near 6mm in size. Maybe I over-expected :)

piano

Rough_Rock
Just a little quick update as everything seems to be in place.
I now have a correct stone and its matching certificate.
Still try to find a way to take good clean pictures.

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
That's great to hear!
What did you think of the stone? Are you having them set the stone for you now?

piano

Rough_Rock
I haven't looked at the stone under 10x magnifier yet so can't tell about the cloudy/milky or any inclusion but with the bare eyes look, it's sparkling. I had it set on the simple ageless solitaire platinum also. I guess I am all set for now.

A side question for all, is a eternity ring a must at the vowing?
I was thinking about just a simple wedding band but Mom and sister keep saying I need an eternity ring to go along besides the wband.

Q

Queenie60

I suggest that you have your bride-to-be choose the wedding band after you propose. Could be a simple band or an eternity band however leave that one up to her. Depends what she likes and what looks nice with the er. Good luck. Can't wait to se photos. :wavey:

susief

Shiny_Rock
Eternity bands are traditionally given for the birth of the first child or a milestone anniversary. Never heard of one being given at the wedding. Do they mean a diamond wedding band instead of (not in addition to) a plain one? That's personal preference, but you should definitely choose the band together with your fiance during the engagement. Your work is done ;))

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy for you (and your future wife) that it all worked out with the e-ring - your choice of a classic solitaire platinum mounting sounds perfect!

Agree that an eternity ring is definitely not "needed", either in lieu of a simpler wedding band or in addition to one (as it seems your mother & sister are urging). She may not even want an eternity ring, and since you are being mindful of costs, an eternity ring, if it does appeal to her, could be, e.g., a lovely 10th wedding anniversary present instead of a purchase in the immediate future.

I think shopping for wedding bands is very romantic, and a practical thing for a couple to do together. The wedding band I ended up selecting is not the same style I thought I wanted, before trying on a variety of bands with my engagement ring.

Have fun!

piano

Rough_Rock
Thanks all.

I might have to retract my word "eternity" since I am not sure I was using the right term.
Anyway, the rings look like these
http://www.bluenile.com/wedding-rings/womens-wedding-rings?track=NavWedWomens...

Not sure it is called "eternity ring" or just a wedding band with diamonds.

I attach the image that I got from google image search.
I thought since the e-ring setting is a solitaire, the wedding band has to be (well, now I know I am wrong) in the same style, simple solitaire also but according to the image.

_89.gif

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
susief|1461599391|4023363 said:
Eternity bands are traditionally given for the birth of the first child or a milestone anniversary. Never heard of one being given at the wedding. Do they mean a diamond wedding band instead of (not in addition to) a plain one? That's personal preference, but you should definitely choose the band together with your fiance during the engagement. Your work is done ;))

Really?? All my friends chose eternity bands as their wedding rings. HA! I don't think that tradition really applies anymore, honestly. Most women just get what they like these days. Just let your fiancé pick it out - win/win! :bigsmile:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
piano|1461609751|4023440 said:
Thanks all.

I might have to retract my word "eternity" since I am not sure I was using the right term.
Anyway, the rings look like these
http://www.bluenile.com/wedding-rings/womens-wedding-rings?track=NavWedWomens....

Not sure it is called "eternity ring" or just a wedding band with diamonds.

I attach the image that I got from google image search.
I thought since the e-ring setting is a solitaire, the wedding band has to be (well, now I know I am wrong) in the same style, simple solitaire also but according to the image.

Hey piano! Glad to see things are working out! :wavey:

An true eternity band will have diamonds/stones/unbroken design all the way around the ring. Sometimes it's misleading when sellers list as "1/2" or "3/4" eternity... this is really just a band with diamonds. :)) Hope that helps clarify a little bit!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wedding band with diamonds ("3/4 Eternity"):
3-4_eternity.png

True Eternity:
true_eternity.jpg

piano

Rough_Rock
msop04|1461610248|4023444 said:
An true eternity band will have diamonds/stones/unbroken design all the way around the ring. Sometimes it's misleading when sellers list as "1/2" or "3/4" eternity... this is really just a band with diamonds. :)) Hope that helps clarify a little bit!

Good to know.

So, what Mom&Sis showed me was just a band with diamonds or "1/2" eternity.
I guess either the eternity or diamond band are optional, not required.

About the ring, she was very happy :)

Thanks ALL for your help.

piano

Rough_Rock
There it is!

I can't get any sharper image.
It seems a little loose but she wants that way.

img_20160425.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!

A little loose is good, as long as it doesn't fall off. When she wears it with her wedding band, it will snug up some. Congratulations and well done!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
it is beautiful! Lovely size on her finger, too. :love:

Don't worry about being a little loose. i prefer mine loose too since my fingers swell up in the summer heat. My jeweler wanted to resize it when i picked it up (i'm a 5.5... probably nearly 5.25 when it's really cold which is not often here and i got 5.75) but i definitely wouldn't want to size down any. and i've been wearing my band on my right hand because it feels less restrictive.... i'm just funny like that.

anyway, GREAT job! :appl:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I'm so glad you've already slipped the ring on her finger & shared the photo with us! No wonder she's very happy with the ring -- it looks smashing & reflects the time and attention you gave to this project :appl:

Congratulations and all best wishes to you both!!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am relieved that you got the correct diamond and you and your fiance like it. I really like the diamond you got. I would exchange mine for it if I can. Seriously.

piano

Rough_Rock
LOL :D

Yeap, one thing is off my shoulder, next thing to dig into.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results