shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Current Setting

PrincessPear

Rough_Rock
Hello PSers! I need to ask for some help with my engagement ring. I love the diamond, but I am having a tough time with the setting. I am currently on setting #2, and I'm still not happy. My first setting was a simple solitaire, but the band wider than I wanted it to be, and I kind of got pressured into the setting while my husband and I were shopping. I loved the prongs; I felt like they were almost invisible.

Setting #2 is a tapered baguette setting. Initially I loved it, but the more I look at it, the more 80s it looks to me. I also feel like the setting takes away from my wedding band (which I love), and the diamond in my engagement ring, which I absolutely adore. The prongs on this ring are what really drive me batty. Being the inexperienced shopper that I am (silly me, assuming all the prongs were the same), I didn't think to ask about this while we were shopping, and the saleswoman didn't bring up the prongs at all. I find them to be blobby and uneven, although the jeweler that I did the setting disagrees, and is unwilling to fix it (I honestly don't think that the guy has the skill to do it). Incidentally, I get compliment after compliment on the setting, but I feel like it's not "me."

My husband knows how I feel about setting #2, and we make jokes about resetting it, but the more I think about it the more I think I need to. We are trying to have our first baby, and I want something that is going to keep my stone safe, but still highlight it. I want to continue to be able to wear the ring daily without worry. I was thinking a thin bezel setting (I love the way Jewels be Grace does hers), but given my not-so-great track record on setting purchases, I wanted to ask people who know what they are talking about and aren't trying to meet a sales goal. I've flirted with the idea of filing down the bulges on the side of the solitaire, but I need some guidance! Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions :)

img_11775.jpg

img_11776.jpg

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can see what you mean about the prongs- I would want those fixed too.

I actually really like a pear with tapered baguettes; I don't think it looks 80's at all....do you think you're not loving it because the style doesn't jive with your wedding band? I bet they both look great independently, but maybe not so much together. I think pears are really pretty in bezels- but I think you'd need to use someone expert to make sure you get a really delicate bezel! Or maybe you'd prefer to go back to a solitaire, but with a more tapered and delicate shank?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a side view of your solitaire? I'm not quite sure what you mean about filing the bulges down on the side. Are you just talking about trying to have it made thinner?

I don't think the bagettes look 80's. I think it is a classic look. I used to have my pear in that same setting and I wasnt thrilled with it either. It was impossible to find a nice wedding band to go with it unless you went with the matching band. I do feel like the baguettes distract from the shape of a pear. I think my favorite setting for a pear is a solitaire. I finally had my stone reset into a solitaire and love it! It let's the beautiful shape stand out. My setting has a little twist to it and has very small claw prongs. See my avatar for reference.

A nicely done bezel would also be pretty. I always worry about them blocking out too much light but if your pear is bright it shouldn't be a problem.

Do you have any idea who you would have do it?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your current set is classy, elegant, and gorgeous! That setting is what jewelers like Harry Winston are known for. It is definitely not '80s and will always be timeless. It looks great with the band. I cannot think of a better set for a pear and do not think a bezel is going to be nearly as timeless.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1463884376|4034641 said:
I think your current set is classy, elegant, and gorgeous! That setting is what jewelers like Harry Winston are known for. It is definitely not '80s and will always be timeless. It looks great with the band. I cannot think of a better set for a pear and do not think a bezel is going to be nearly as timeless.

I agree, and I love your current set. But I do think maybe part of your issue with it stem from the prongs. They aren't as thin/pointed as you may have had in your first setting (especially since you felt like they were invisible). So perhaps this is a somewhat simple issue of having a skilled jeweler re-work the prongs?

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I am going to echo the others regarding tapered baguettes being classic. I think tapered baguettes are also very old money looking.
Is your wedding band channel set princess cuts? It is just my opinion but I always think of Princess cuts as not playing well with step cuts, so I can see how you think the baguettes don't work well with them.
I think of most of the rings by JBG as being vintage /antique in style and that your band wouldn't work well with them either, as I consider princess + channel set to be a contemporary combo.
Re: the prongs I would probably look for examples of pears set in claw prongs and pursue that look rather than go with a bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1463884376|4034641 said:

+1 - Elegant, classy.. exactly the words that occurred to me

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results