shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Cadd Reviews for custom ring

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am working with my local jeweler to make ring that blends a few styles (Sholdt Vashon Pave, Erika Winters Jin, and Caleb Meyers Ring). This is my first ring using CADD for design and am out of my depth. I've scoured PS for info. Married 16 years. Lost my first e-ring in graduate school (family diamond - 2.5 ct OEC, D/E, eyeclean) :wall: .

INSPIRATION
calebmeyeritem3821modelc-291.jpg erikawintersjin.jpg sholdtvashon.jpg

I'm a wildlife biologist with finger size 10.75, with a finger length of 3 1/4 inches. I love vintage rings, but tend toward clean and streamlined. Not a lot of fussy details. Art Deco over Art Nouveau. This will house my 2.24 ct OEM Amora Gem (8.06mm-8.16mm X 5.08mm -- I hope that does not make the CADD review out of bounds). We will replace the Amora eventually, but life and a 170 year old house keeps getting in the way.

So, on to the ring....

I'm going for clean, unfussy but with a strong nod to vintage. I'm on the fence between platinum and rose gold, but being impervious to most chemicals I encounter gives platinum the edge. So, I'm looking for a full bezel, thin and minimal, open gallery, low on the hand, curved shoulders. The bezel should remain distinct, not get lost in the shoulder. Good finger coverage, but -- practical and cleanable. Something that not everyone has on their finger is bonus points.

CADDs
thru_pt.jpg
side_pt.jpg
top_pt__1_.jpg

I've seen the jewelers pave and bead/bright work and milgrain and it is lovely. My wedding band is a 4.5 mm etoile (knockoff) heavy comfort fit. Would appreciate thoughts on this for a non-delicate hand looking for elegant and timeless and feminine. Most jewelry in my size if big, bulky and masculine. This looks that, but I think that may be CADD inflation.

SPECIFIC QUESTIONS
1) Should the shoulder tuck under the bezel a bit more, so that diamonds don't project beyond the bezel edge (side view)?
2) Should the shoulder be narrower at the top? I like the fluted/swoop at the top of the Erika Winters and my jeweler included that element with enough bling to give me hand coverage. But, I wonder if narrowing the top would make a more elegant look?
3) With the metal swoops from the shoulders coming into the gallery, will it look too heavy in that area? I love the openness of the Erika Winters, so is all this metal in the CADD really needed?
4) Will this be cleanable? I fear the area under the side stones will be hard to clean. She said there will be piercing through the main band to allow cleaning. Being cleanable is absolutely key!! If I have a surprise necropsy to conduct, I may have to leave the ring on rather than risk losing it. Turtle needs a lift crossing the road, I'm gonna grab it. Snake gets mad and poops on me when I'm showing it to kids, that is life. Dropped a jar of rotting animal parts off a shelf, so goes life.
5) Rose gold vs. platinum. Any thoughts?
6) I love matte/satin finish, but I'm not sure if that would work on this ring of this design. Thoughts?
7) Elements I can add to make this more individual or unique?

Thanks for any help and thoughts you can offer.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To the issue of cleaning and how the under gallery should flow. I have an idea.

picsart_07-26-10.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1) Should the shoulder tuck under the bezel a bit more, so that diamonds don't project beyond the bezel edge (side view)?
I'm not sure I know what you mean
2) Should the shoulder be narrower at the top? I like the fluted/swoop at the top of the Erika Winters and my jeweler included that element with enough bling to give me hand coverage. But, I wonder if narrowing the top would make a more elegant look?
I like the width of the shank where it meets the bezel
3) With the metal swoops from the shoulders coming into the gallery, will it look too heavy in that area? I love the openness of the Erika Winters, so is all this metal in the CADD really needed?
see my photo
4) Will this be cleanable? I fear the area under the side stones will be hard to clean. She said there will be piercing through the main band to allow cleaning. Being cleanable is absolutely key!! If I have a surprise necropsy to conduct, I may have to leave the ring on rather than risk losing it. Turtle needs a lift crossing the road, I'm gonna grab it. Snake gets mad and poops on me when I'm showing it to kids, that is life. Dropped a jar of rotting animal parts off a shelf, so goes life.
if you remove the metal underneath it would be very easy to clean
5) Rose gold vs. platinum. Any thoughts?
if you're hard on your hands and have a d colored stone definitely platinum
6) I love matte/satin finish, but I'm not sure if that would work on this ring of this design. Thoughts?
working with your hands a lot the satin fishin will wear off, but platinum will get patina. I'd just let it get a patina on its own
7) Elements I can add to make this more individual or unique?
is there something you dont like? I don't want to add just make it unique of you like it as is

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it very much. And admittedly I like Neil's version the best. It's lovely.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy - Thanks for the input and kind words. I'm pretty excited.

Neil - Wow. Would the ring be comfortable when hands swell without the cross-bar?

Also, I marked up a picture and found a good closeup of the Vashon for comparison to show my questions a bit clearer (I hope).

(1) The orange arrow points to the area where I'm wondering if it sticks out too far. Should this area be more of a concave curve so it does not project beyond the bezel.

(2) The green area is where I was wondering about the amount of metal. The Vashon seems much thinner through there with the stones/milgrain right at the edge. Is this just the effect of the cad that makes this look so bulky?

After I approve the CADD, I get a 3D printed version to look at, adjust and re-print or send to casting. How cool is that?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From my experience a ring with an open area under the gallery is actually more comfortable when your finger swells. Gives you more room. Depending on the opening though you may need to size it down 1/8 to 1/4 your normal size

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the cads look really good. Neil's change would be good too.
I personally don't care for that look in a ring for me but it would benefit
You in that it would be way easier to clean and will handle swelling fingers better.

The only thing that I would like to see a cad with the 4th diamond up
On the sides being a little bigger so there is not as much metal where the band widens. This is pretty nit picky though.

So sorry you lost your original ering. :(sad I'm sure that was painful.
They do make necklaces that you put through your ring and you can wear it around your neck if you know something is going to be grimy. A lot of people in the medical field do this when in surgery etc. Won't keep it from getting dirty all the time but may be worth a try.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results