shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with CAD Drawing

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
@rockysalamander I showed her this thread and your post. Below is what she agrees with you on and how she will word it to the designer.

1) Top View:
What I like about the Legato Sleek is the tapered setting. From the given CAD drawing, the curvature is not very defined. But it could be just the drawing (ideally, the top should be more curved, like the green line). Would the tapered effect be achieved in the actual ring?

BQn_ybSiM9aINfztm6Phj_Lbb2AuCks_YJzqi7co89fdatc9_Vj_69nTyiYzGd9JTz9B6uJXxoPr84IgfZdYZUfAKyoWVs6vcCyNel-U6JCvRcjp_dB4TyNDCbrHEYoo-XH2Vvwq
JjP6cAwL8mO--Mk54iPAuc7gcfbPUydIeFxgfoFvRASJMkDqs7VeSLgDskeNd09ONe2ZKJNH9VdpgMUi9cUo0JCo7b6EQ7tZZ_pvErLQg_TMbuO-Oxu2PCeaOru6oQtNP0a1oKQ0

2) Shoulder:
I noticed that the shoulder part in the CAD drawing (marked by the blue arrow) is different from the Felicity head. It is also different from the original Legato Sleek head (as seen in the bottom picture). This has to be resolved as it looks vastly different. I’m ok with it resembling either the Felicity or Legato Sleek.

FOGZRBq6zqbcgnw1PimdjQsQ6z0fzHLMrfrUpOp4AgKWYD_AEiOnKfHevdfqd4uyanddORn3fWN0HQ_AHPXc1mdqSrPoU8RaaoSX2RNM_YmJGvJhfJHM29XK6IOeloAn67KnYk3p
AvCb9F2vhvX5C7hTqZ7S9yAn_hfpViLocs5ZqygQ-lxoQgEtBRSQNW7361f-xqwn3MhWmraPd2xilRG4k1UCLg_SSSIdJxFZG4jtOj9qTFIi84MpWuq97QVxzYkMwb17l9R0kGjT

3) Prong:

Comparing the prongs in the CAD drawing and the felicity head, those in the drawing are more convex (hence, jutting out more) while the prongs in the felicity head are more concave (which is what I like about its smooth, sophisticated look). These are marked by the yellow arrows for your reference.
FOGZRBq6zqbcgnw1PimdjQsQ6z0fzHLMrfrUpOp4AgKWYD_AEiOnKfHevdfqd4uyanddORn3fWN0HQ_AHPXc1mdqSrPoU8RaaoSX2RNM_YmJGvJhfJHM29XK6IOeloAn67KnYk3p

Also, I believe the top part of the claw prongs would be shaved down in the final product (rather than protruding out as in the CAD drawing). Do correct me if I’m wrong.

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
Yes it does. But it seems like the changes to the shank are turning it into the felicity and at least you then know the head will be right and I'm sure it's structurally sound or they wouldn't sell it. Both the legato and sleek line say they are 1.5 at their thinnest point. I'm sure someone will chime in if I am in the wrong here though and I'm open to hearing why.

Hi Shellcm, seems to be some confusion around width vs thickness as WF calls it. I myself was confused too.

Felicity has width and thickness measurements.
Legato has only width measurements.

The width for felicity is only 1.65mm. Making it wire thin. While my partner prefers it wider at 2.2mm.

upload_2017-9-30_17-47-44.png
upload_2017-9-30_17-48-1.png

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TOP, I like the use of the Legato picture. I would re-phrase her statement that she wants the top view to match the Legato in that picture.

Gallery, Is she ok with the CAD as is, you did not include any comments?

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
TOP, I like the use of the Legato picture. I would re-phrase her statement that she wants the top view to match the Legato in that picture.

Gallery, Is she ok with the CAD as is, you did not include any comments?

I added the gallery part into my email to WF. She didn't mind the gallery looking as is. So if WF cannot achieve the gallery but can fix other parts then she is happy.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome! Great to hear you were able to get clear direction from your gal. Hang in there, it will all be worth it. (and its almost over ;)2)

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
Awesome! Great to hear you were able to get clear direction from your gal. Hang in there, it will all be worth it. (and its almost over ;)2)

Yeah but there is no 'surprise' left :(. Yeah I hope WF follows the brief.

They were concerned as it seems everything is copied from the felicity.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah but there is no 'surprise' left :(. Yeah I hope WF follows the brief.

They were concerned as it seems everything is copied from the felicity.

When and how you give her the ring are still your surprise to build for her...and...you cared enough to get her what she would love. I can't tell you how many women would love for their man to involve them in the ring design and purchase. Really. Other boards are filled with posts from women either stressing because their opinion is not asked for or stressing because they hate the ring they were given.

RE: WF -- Do you mean they were hesitant to copy the felicity directly? If so, that's not unreasonable as it is a designer setting. I don't want to roll thing backward, so feel free to ignore the rest of this post, but this is the legato sleek with a prong simply extended from "their" design element. Something like this would not infringe on the Felicity. The middle prong does not need contact with the bottom to be functional. See picture below of a GemstoneProject setting showing how the center can completely float and does not require a full length strut below.

upload_2017-9-30_20-36-23.png
upload_2017-9-30_20-40-59.png

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
@rockysalamander it is funny you posted that image. I drew this as part of my brief. The felicity head looks like legato sleek anyway: https://imgur.com/a/kIbGa

Looks very similar. I told them if felicity can't be achieved then it is literally adding the north and south prongs onto the existing legato sleek head. I will see what they say.

Edit: image was part of my first brief. The first CAD looked nothing like it.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great minds think alike! I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed....:pray:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2014-12-09 11.55.51.jpg

Don't know if this helps but this is my Vatche Serenity size 4.5 with 2.21 diamond (Felicity with pave). I think that it is set too low and I like the Whiteflash photo of the Felicity better. But the latest WF CAD has it set too high imo. There should be a happy medium where the culet is easily visible. Should mention that they made the donut an oval instead of the usual round so I could wear a band with it if I chose to. Also, what are the dimensions of your diamond and ring size, that could change the curves a bit.
Is this the royal crown?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
engagement-standing.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander it is funny you posted that image. I drew this as part of my brief. The felicity head looks like legato sleek anyway: https://imgur.com/a/kIbGa

Looks very similar. I told them if felicity can't be achieved then it is literally adding the north and south prongs onto the existing legato sleek head. I will see what they say.

Edit: image was part of my first brief. The first CAD looked nothing like it.

Just checking in. Any progress?

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
Fair enough. I'll keep crossing my fingers for the next cad.=)2
Sorry had just woken up and saw your reply in my initial message.

The drawer came back on clarifying 2.2mm is for width and not thickness and that was it :|.

I asked him for ETA on CAD. The time difference is proving difficult as I wake up at 12 midday Texas time.

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
WF Reply below:

1) Top View:
What I like about the Legato Sleek is the tapered setting. From the given CAD drawing, the curvature is not very defined. But it could be just the drawing (ideally, the top should be more curved, like the green line). Would the tapered effect be achieved in the actual ring?

WF Reply:
This is an mainly an optical illusion, because you can see the bottom of the shank on either side of the taper from directly overhead. Due to the CAD limitations, they appear to be one. The tapered shank is shown better from the side view.
Also, the taper is more noticeable with smaller diamonds, as the diamond surface area covers part of the shoulders.

2) Shoulder:
I noticed that the shoulder part in the CAD drawing (marked by the blue arrow) is different from the Felicity head. It is also different from the original Legato Sleek head (as seen in the bottom picture). This has to be resolved as it looks vastly different. I’m ok with it resembling either the Felicity or Legato Sleek.

WF Reply: I see what you are referring to, and Leon and I will discuss making this change on the CAD.

AvCb9F2vhvX5C7hTqZ7S9yAn_hfpViLocs5ZqygQ-lxoQgEtBRSQNW7361f-xqwn3MhWmraPd2xilRG4k1UCLg_SSSIdJxFZG4jtOj9qTFIi84MpWuq97QVxzYkMwb17l9R0kGjT

3) Prong:

Comparing the prongs in the CAD drawing and the felicity head, those in the drawing are more convex (hence, jutting out more) while the prongs in the felicity head are more concave (which is what I like about its smooth, sophisticated look). These are marked by the yellow arrows for your reference.

Also, I believe the top part of the claw prongs would be shaved down in the final product (rather than protruding out as in the CAD drawing). Do correct me if I’m wrong.

WF Reply: Part of your question relates to #2 and we will look into this. However, claw prongs are a finishing element and I will note your preference for claw prongs on the order.

4) Diamond Height
Blue line: diamond is sitting a little too high, please pull the head lower to pull the diamond down
Green line: No change, intersection of the legs for the N/S is correct
Yellow line: North and south prong begins too high, please lower it to yellow line position.
Orange line: Can the shoulder gap be slightly bigger, even if it doesn't match the drawing below.
yLPHtBGwVA4my1vapo140ZJszVQ0C_8cERbq-CFSUkD_AjxYkwvkqxulpDRd9iAfXhFEnPqGQqmRKqUwCYME001hvNn3htVQGzrO6jggzYHQu_R2u8y750mf8GjIeJzZmJgzm1gqTPklTVk=s0-d-e1-ft

WF Reply: The difference in center stone height is related to the larger carat weight. It is proportional, and is very low profile.

Sean Reply:
Blue Line: So the girdle being too high is due to diamond proportion?
Green Line: No issues as it matches felicity
Yellow Line: this references the middle prong that splits into two:
  1. The base of the middle prong's two splits need to start lower.
  2. Can the base of the two splits start off thinner and become larger as it approaches the tip of the prong? To create the curves
Orange Line: Can the triangular gap be larger

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3rd times the charm. I think its fantastic. There are so few 6-prong options...they should offer this as a setting without going custom with and without pave. If they do, I think it should be named after your girl! Glad the CAD designer captured the design so well. Can't wait to see this!

maybe @Texas Leaguer will peak on this thread and be inspired to design a 6-prong legato, but with a pretty gallery like this one!

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
@rockysalamander yes I agree! This should be the Legato six prong version.

I wouldn't say it is a copying a different designer as the Vatche Felicity is already very similar to Legato as is. Literally just two additional prongs added to the Legato.
I am not fussed about the triangle being small.

Now comes the polishing part and hope it comes out delicate.
Anything I need to inform them in regards to polishing etc?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander yes I agree! This should be the Legato six prong version.

I wouldn't say it is a copying a different designer as the Vatche Felicity is already very similar to Legato as is. Literally just two additional prongs added to the Legato.
I am not fussed about the triangle being small.

Now comes the polishing part and hope it comes out delicate.
Anything I need to inform them in regards to polishing etc?
Not at all. The finish on their pieces is lovely. Just tell them to "make it so Jim". :lol-2:

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just got the new CAD drawing. I am quite happy with the results!

What do you think? @rockysalamander

WF CAD Sean Teo 3.png

Oh myyyyy. Very fetching design on the third try. Looking forward to seeing pics of the final product.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sent the new drawing to my partner without saying anything to see what her honest opinion is. She said it is exactly what she was going for. :D

Hurray!!!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now for the 2 weeks wait. Ahh!

I know. Its agony. After I approve a design and until the first beauty shots, I obsessively check my email. Even thought I KNOW it will be a bit. Its going to be lovely...hang in there.

Sean_T

Shiny_Rock
I know. Its agony. After I approve a design and until the first beauty shots, I obsessively check my email. Even thought I KNOW it will be a bit. Its going to be lovely...hang in there.

I have been waking up multiple times every night to see if the CAD drawing is done. I am known for being a little obsessive !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results