shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a stone for a setting?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently got this antique white gold setting, 4 small side diamonds. It currently has a asscher cz that''s 6.5mm and could be replaced with a asscher or cushion of similar size.

Any suggestions of what I should put in here? Asscher or cushion? Pale and delicate color or vibrant and lively?

8182384.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
delicate light rose cushion, perhaps zircon. Gene?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/28/2010 7:38:59 PM
Author: VapidLapid
delicate light rose cushion, perhaps zircon. Gene?

Oops, I should stipulate no heat treated stones (rules out most zircons)

I also think I have my pinks pretty well covered. So I thought I'd try something else this time...

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
o. light malata garnet or these spinel Ive been seeing online from tajiki...and wildfish that are fancy multicolor predominately orange yellow rose that are full of colors but i cant help thinking they are essentially colorless. Did that make any sense &/or you know the ones I mean? then cushion.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
am i crazee? howabout this?

Peridot22.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
YOWZA! That''s a PERIDOT?! Where from?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously Vapid. Spill the beans, where is that beauty from?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
burmarubies.com isnt that just a killer?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I saw that setting when it was up for sale and reeeeally wished my asscher was small enough to fit in it. Anyway, I'd stick with an asscher rather than a cushion. The setting just has an art deco feel that screams ASSCHER!!! I would probably go with a more subdued color...medium-light aqua, pink tourmaline, lavender spinel, "rose de France" amethyst, etc. Not sure why, but maybe it's just a reaction to the intense color of the CZ.

ETA: What about the aqua from Peter's latest drop (10th stone down)?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I agree that there''s something art-deco(ish) about the setting, but art deco suggests strong contrasts, and that might not be doable in this case. Of course, the reason is the cutting, cause in order to get a strong contrast with the white metal you have to use a darker colored stone, but that diminishes the potential of the cutting. Maybe something with a rich red color could be a good compromise. Say a nice orangy red spessartite, where color would remind enough of art deco designs (if that''s what you want to emphasize), while still getting a lot of "performance" in the cutting due to a high refractive index. A nice tsavorite garnet could be an option too, but neither of these suggestions would be cheap in the size you''re looking for and in deeper colors.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2010 9:10:21 AM
Author: Uppy
How about this lavendar spinel?
Great minds think alike! I actually saw that spinel and recommended it to MTG through a chat outside of PS, just didn''t post it on here yet.
9.gif

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
How about an asscher cut red stone (garnet, spinel, etc.)?

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/29/2010 9:10:21 AM
Author: Uppy
How about this lavendar spinel?

Excellent choice! I saw that stone the other day and thought it was gorgeous.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now I'm considering this lovely mint garnet, 1.3ct. I still have to receive the exact measurements though.

I have a soft spot for garnets, and I think asschers might be too busy is such a small size (well, Gene thought that, and now that mentions it I think I agree, haha). So a square emerald cut might work nicely and still fit in with the deco-ness of the ring.

ETA: Hmm, the upload quality didn't work so well, the color is a bit more saturated in the original photo... Oh well.

mtgGGG.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found out from the vendor that he has a few more pieces of similar rough and could cut me something to fit if this one doesn''t work out. Nice to have a back up plan !

Sigh. Long wait until I get dimensions and more pics next week. I''ve always wanted a mint garnet !

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/7/2010 8:38:53 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

I found out from the vendor that he has a few more pieces of similar rough and could cut me something to fit if this one doesn''t work out. Nice to have a back up plan !

Sigh. Long wait until I get dimensions and more pics next week. I''ve always wanted a mint garnet !
Looks like you''ve made a very nice choice.
9.gif
Would you send the cutter the setting to be sure it fit? Just curious since I have a setting that I might want to do this with in the future. TIA

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2010 12:17:17 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Date: 5/7/2010 8:38:53 PM

Looks like you''ve made a very nice choice.
9.gif
Would you send the cutter the setting to be sure it fit? Just curious since I have a setting that I might want to do this with in the future. TIA

Turns out the stone is too small, 5.9mm, and it''s a setting for a 6.5mm stone. I don''t think that difference is surmountable. However, he has an antique cushion that would fit, and I''m exploring the ideas of a custom cut.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Weirdly enough I''ve been acquiring a lot of settings lately...my newest coming my way is a yellow gold split shank mistral from sally that will hold a 7x5. I''m thinking maybe something red for this one...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/7/2010 6:12:59 PM
Right now I''m considering this lovely mint garnet, 1.3ct. I still have to receive the exact measurements though.

I have a soft spot for garnets, and I think asschers might be too busy is such a small size (well, Gene thought that, and now that mentions it I think I agree, haha). So a square emerald cut might work nicely and still fit in with the deco-ness of the ring.

ETA: Hmm, the upload quality didn''t work so well, the color is a bit more saturated in the original photo... Oh well.
Thats a great garnet, Looking forward to seeing pictures when you get it!
36.gif

-A

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So....that garnet didn''t work out, too small. But he''s sending me a 6.5mm antique light green grossular garnet to check out, should have it by thursday! Yay!

In unrelated news, I keep missing my LOGR package! Grrrr....

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the cushion on the way, apparently his studio isn''t set up well to photograph lightly colored gems. He describes it as a "a lightly saturated green".

It''s 1.53 ct Tanzanian grossular garnet.

I asked if he had any rough to cut a custom asscher..but no go
7.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops....no pic.

sqantcushion.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also just got this setting...currently holding a cz. Any suggestions? It''s a used Mistral sally setting with a thicker band.

sallymistral.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will hold a 7x5

slly2.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s such a pretty setting! What about an amethyst or something?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2010 7:23:28 PM
Author: packrat
That''s such a pretty setting! What about an amethyst or something?

That would be cool - I can definitely see something purple popping in that setting.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just realized that 7x5 isn''t too big! Is it silly to ask someone to custom cut something that size?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
My prasiolite asscher was custom cut and is a little over 7x7 (I think about 7.15 square if I remember correctly). I think someone could do that for you, maybe Dan Stair, since he cuts a lot of smallish stones? Or John of Gemrite? Bob Kast? Michael E?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
MTG- I love the minstral!!

Oh dear, now I''m off to stalk HOW...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results