shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a Meghan Markle inspired ring..doing my best, but need guidance!

searchingforher

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

First thank you for being such an awesome and helpful community! I'm out in Lake tahoe, kind of near reno but not near near SF or LA and i'm trying to sort out how/where to get a ring made that is quite close to meghan's. My gf keeps coming back to it and loves it so much. She's gonna go w/white gold or platinum. I'm thinking 2.5-3K center stone and around 0.5 carat side stones. Maybe a center like this? https://www.b2cjewels.com/diamond-search/dd/11671619/Cushion-Diamond-D-Color-SI1-Clarity The plan, not living in a big city is scour the big online diamond dealers and choose, and hopefully I like it (or return it and start again). Then I guess, get 2 similar appearing side stones (none are identical so do you just try to get ones that are close?) and then..most importantly how do I chose who to make it? Are there online companies that PSers have raved about for custom rings that don't require a trip to ny or La? I've seen VC in person in the past when my gf wanted a halo but this is more simple and I don't want to fly back to LA. Or is it a terrible idea to go through the process through the internet?

Thank you all for your advice!! So much appreciated!

Jeff

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 5.06.51 PM.png

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not a diamond guru (they will chime in later) but I can say - someone like David Klass could make this ring design for you. There are many PSers who use David (even internationally!) and are very happy with both his prices and fabulous results. It is very common “around here” for us to send gems across the country (or world) and discuss our design and requirements via emails before receiving CAD designs and a wax model (that’s a plastic type created version of the ring) before the final ring is cast and completed.
It is a surprisingly easy and safe way to get the ring of your dreams.
As for diamonds, radiant / oval shape diamonds are harder to assess “performance wise” than Round Brilliants.
The diamond you like has moderate fluorescence. This can be a issue in bright sunlight as it can make the diamond look hazy. You would need to see photos in sunlight or seek clarification as to it’s appearance in sunlight before proceeding. However, in lower colour diamonds ie I, J - fluorescence can be a good thing as it can mask any yellow tint.
In terms of colour, D would be considered by most as “overkill”, you are paying a premium for a “whiteness” that most people can’t differentiate. Most people can’t see a yellow tint until about H.
More important is cut as it affects brilliance and of course clarity. Si can be “eye clean” but again, you need to confirm that with the vendor.
Round Brillant .50 points are readily available so it’s not too difficult to “match” a pair.

searchingforher

Rough_Rock
Thanks Bron that's super helpful! I will check out David's website. I appreciate the commentary re flourescence...i didn't know that. The only reason for the D grade (i think i'd go up to H) was it was the only one i found under 28 or 29K that a somewhat organized pattern to the facets. Not a huge fan of the total crushed ice and LOVE the vintage cut cushions a ton but it really seems that because so few people make them GOG, VC etc you pay such a premium (unless anyone has any other advice of where else to look!) Thanks so much for the input!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am not familiar with B2C, is this a stock photo or an image of the actual stone?

The diamond in the photo is of the crushed ice variety and not very well cut. Reaching the 3ct mark may be difficult for under 29K unless you are willing to compromise on color probably down in the J range, but I have not priced out stones in awhile.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not good with picking out cushions, so hopefully someone else will come along.

I have had luck with B2C. I’ve bought two already made bands from them and have had a ring made.

Victor, David, Caysie etc. brilliantly engaged can all make the ring too.

searchingforher

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much scarsmum! I guess because i put si1 in my criteria i blew right by those. I wouldn't have expected vintage cushions to be in the mix? I wonder who is making them. Did you do anything w the filter to find them, or just saw?

searchingforher

Rough_Rock
I contacted David Klass, which was very helpful! And i'm talking to Jon at AV inc to figure out if i can possibly afford a vintage cut cushion cuz i love them so much. Any other votes of who to go to to have this made? I know we want it to face up like meghans ring but i would need someone who can share some creative ideas about how we can customize from the side...i'm not great w/coming up w stuff on my own!

Jeff

searchingforher

Rough_Rock
Canukgal...yes early on she wanted a halo w/pave band but now we're both set on this ring :) thank u for asking!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The inspo is 3-4 carat center slightly elongate cushion cut with .75 carat each round sides. Its hard to get a clear enough picture to tell if it is an old cut or modern cushion. The shank is yellow gold and the prongs white metals.

Where does she stand on color? Aiming for D/E/F will blow your budget to get to the size you want. Cushions are not a very spready cut, so that will also make achieving the look a bit harder (aka more expensive). So, focus on the center stone in your budget and then adjust the side stones to keep the proportion the same. I'd be open to chubby ovals to get a similar look unless its cushion or bust.

Just remember to compare cushions by spread (size in mm), not by weight. Sometimes, a smaller diamond will be a larger spread.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.50-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-4409888

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/326ct-i-si2-oval-diamond-r8162 {nice chubby oval with incredible spread. Set with prongs in the 4-corners I think this has a similar look and look at that spread! 11.69x8.19 mm! And a very respectable ASET}

https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond...cushion-I-AGS-H-VS1-diamond-stock-16468-cert-
7.84x7.09x4.97 mm

https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond..._modern-N-GIA-H-SI1-diamond-stock-14235-cert-
7.75x7.3x4.76 mm

https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond..._modern-N-GIA-G-VS1-diamond-stock-16497-cert-
7.67x7.31x4.84 mm

Ask for photos, videos and ASET.
http://oldworlddiamonds.com/diamond...=WEIGHT&shape=C&item=diamond&referer=diamonds
http://oldworlddiamonds.com/diamond...=WEIGHT&shape=C&item=diamond&referer=diamonds

For the setting, David Klass LA, Wink Jones (High Performance Diamonds), DiamondsbyLauren**, Victor Canera*, Maytal Hannah*, Steven Kirsch*

**hand and cast
*hand forged only

searchingforher

Rough_Rock
Thank you for that very helpful advice on cushion spread, i definitely didn't know that! She is not fussy at all about the diamond but myself, i'm fairly color sensitive so i don't think i can go past H and still be happy with it. But yes, definitely cushion, she said no to the oval. Not sure if meghan's is an old or modern but my strong preference would be for a vintage cut if this whole package can be done for like 32K or under. Still dunno if is the case. The vintage cuts are a significantly more pricey, yes..or not necessarily? Going to go though all your links now thank you VERY much for that most helpful reply!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for that very helpful advice on cushion spread, i definitely didn't know that! She is not fussy at all about the diamond but myself, i'm fairly color sensitive so i don't think i can go past H and still be happy with it. But yes, definitely cushion, she said no to the oval. Not sure if meghan's is an old or modern but my strong preference would be for a vintage cut if this whole package can be done for like 32K or under. Still dunno if is the case. The vintage cuts are a significantly more pricey, yes..or not necessarily? Going to go though all your links now thank you VERY much for that most helpful reply!

True antique cushions are around the same price as a modern cushion. Modern cut antique cushion are generally more expensive for the same face-up size. They get to be "ideal" by adding a lot more material to the bottom. So, they are even less spready than some antiques.

The center is from Botswana and the first diamonds were found there in the mid-1950s (pretty small ones at that time). A real mine was not established until 1967. So, I'd bet that the inspo is a modern cushion. By 1967, there simply were few to no cuttters cutting antique cushions. I happen to love antique diamonds, so I'm not talking you out of them, but just sharing a little analysis.

This very useful image shows the side view. It has a relatively straigh basket that rests on the finger, If your girl wants a flush fitting wedding band, you might alter this side view to accomodate that. We can help when you are at that point...

https://www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebrity/meghan-markles-ring-princess-dianas-diamonds-1110196.html
upload_2018-7-15_22-41-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-15_22-39-46.png
    upload_2018-7-15_22-39-46.png
    197.3 KB · Views: 28

searchingforher

Rough_Rock
That's really helpful!! And perhaps I should clarify if i was using the antique cushion terminology, what i mean is the vintage cushions that are cut nowadays (august vintage etc).

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much scarsmum! I guess because i put si1 in my criteria i blew right by those. I wouldn't have expected vintage cushions to be in the mix? I wonder who is making them. Did you do anything w the filter to find them, or just saw?
No I just searched within budget. I don’t know where JA source their diamonds, as far as I am aware their diamonds are not available through other channels. Yes, interesting that those two are in there.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should also check with Adam at Old World Diamonds for antique cushion cuts. The setting is a pretty straight forward one so any jeweler mentioned above should be able to recreate it with no problem.

It sounds like you love the vintage pattern so my biggest suggestion would be to not compromise on that; you don't want to always look at your girls ring and think "I wish I'd spent a little more/gone a little smaller/gone a little lower in color and gotten her a vintage cut instead...". Do it right, even if it means changing your parameters a bit.

I know you've said you don't want lower than a H, but this ring is for sale and it's GORGEOUS. It's a favorite of MANY PS'ers and looks very very white in the photos. It might be worth reaching out to see if videos and photos in other lighting could be provided. They're willing to consider selling just the center stone.

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...n-cvb-august-vintage-cushion-avc-diamond-ring

Good luck, and share what you find!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore antique cushions and that ring would be spectacular with an AC center and two matching OEC sides. I am a fan of the newly cut ones just due to the fact it has taken some people YEARS here to find a perfect antique stone. But a few have done so successfully. I urge you not to settle for a mediocre stone.

I'd contact Adam at Old World Diamonds first of all and tell him what you're looking for. You're really going to restrict your options with antique stones if you want H or higher, because there are far less of those than lower colors. I would encourage you to go to I color in antique stones to broaden your options. I color will not appear to be yellow. You may have to get Jonathan at AV to custom cut your three stones to have this work out, but it would be an incredible ring. In fact, it (or antique stones) would be better than Meghan's!

Also, if you do buy from Adam, he has a good bench and can make the ring without having to send it from NYC to CA. And don't worry about doing this via distance, most regulars here have done it multiple times.

Oh, and definitely platinum, and we will tell you the alloys to request once you get to the setting stage.

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On true or modern antique diamonds. I think this is a matter of personal preference. I adore antique stones for their beauty, history and - yes - sometimes wonkiness. I love the lack of perfection and that they were individually cut by hand. No two are exactly alike. But, just be mindful to look at the girdle thickness and make sure it can be prong-set.

Modern antique cushions have asymmetry and perfection that appeals to many. They have more ideal performance and there ASET's prove that. They can also be faster to acquire as you don't have to wait forever for the perfect antique.

I agree with @diamondseeker2006 about color. Not only will H not be "yellow", but true antiques hide color better than their modern equivalents. For searching, I'd open up to include Old Mine Cuts - though they also tend to be a bit deeper. The modernization of the cushions allow for a more efficient use of the rough.

These exceed budget, but just to show the look of a large old mine/cushion. You might be able to find an antique in a setting that you can serperate and then sell the setting or place a gemstone in the donor setting int he future. Usually, stones already set can be less expensive.
https://eragem.com/wm13513.html
https://erstwhilejewelry.com/products/3-02-carat-edwardian-diamond-engagement-ring

You could use all three stones and built a new setting. But, O/P color. IT really would be worth seeing something like this in person before you settle on color.
https://www.victorbarbone.com/colle.../products/edwardian-3-diamond-engagement-ring

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I am a HUGE fan of three stone ER, I am not a fan of MM's. First and foremost, I am glad she did not go pave or halo. But I am not a fan of double prongs. Also, IMHO, her side diamonds do not appear proportionally correct. They look small to me. (I never heard the size stats on her diamonds.) I know that the side stones were from Harry's mom so they have meaning thus she may not have had a choice. Maybe it is a cushion shape with round side stones I do not like. Rather, I prefer bullets, moons, big tapered baguettes or maybe pears for cushion sides. It sounds like you are doing a lot of research in making your dream ring. I am sure it will be beautiful.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I first saw this, and thought her hand was laying on her leg and was like, "wow, European ladies and the no shave thing". Clicked on the link and realized she was holding hands and that wasn't the case at all. Gave me a good chuckle either way. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I feel the others have you taken care of @searchingforher and you are in good hands. I am a little envious you live so close to Lake Tahoe. It's beautiful up there, well except the tourist trap down south, lol.

Ahhh, how I miss my Jeep and the Rubicon trail.

In regards to your journey, embrace it. Although our styles are different, I went through a similar experience recently in trying to find a diamond and then design/build a custom ring for my girl. In my case I used BGD in Houston for the stone, and DK in LA for the setting. The closest being a minimum 8 hours away.

Everything was done online and via phone/text communications. It took patience. I got frustrated during some of the steps, but overall this community helped me tremendously and me and my girl are both super pleased with everything. Below is a link of my journey if you'd like to read and learn some of the steps I took during the process. Maybe it will help and encourage you in some manner.

Good luck on this project, I am excited for you! :cool2:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dk-bgd-custom-setting-the-home-stretch.240843/

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want to do something a bit different you might consider bezels around each stone, here’s one of my favorite rings with 4 traps rather than 2 rounds but you’ll get the idea - https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-diamond/august-vintage-cushion-avc-diamond

I wanted to show you my bezeled cushion three stone with round sides by DK so you can see what that would look like. For reference, the cushion is 7.5 x 7 mm, the sides are 3.5 mm, and my ring size is 4.75. Hope this helps!

7.5 x 7 mm Grey Spinel_hand_3.jpg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to show you my bezeled cushion three stone with round sides by DK so you can see what that would look like. For reference, the cushion is 7.5 x 7 mm, the sides are 3.5 mm, and my ring size is 4.75. Hope this helps!

:love: :love: :love:

Not typically my style, but that looks awesome @msop04! Love the colored center stone and milgraining around the cushion and rounds.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love msop's ring and think it is a great example of a larger center stone and small sides. It is a very elegant look, and I adore the proportions of Megan's ring. I just don't think her center stone would be one I would choose, if it is a modern cushion.

Adam is going to have access to more antique stones than anyone, probably. I would just stress to him you want a very well cut one. There were skilled cutters 100 years ago just as there are today. My newly cut antique style stones were hand cut, too. It's just that we know more about cutting for light return today than we did then. Even with the newly cut stones, each one is different and unique. But the cushions are cut mostly in one style.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just wanted to fangirl and say this is one of my favorite colored stone rings OF ALL TIME and I may need to make my own version one day!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results