shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with 3+ carat diamond selection

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock
Hello all!

I'm back on PS after many years and signed up as a new user due to a new email address. I hope this is the right area to post our questions.
So happy to be reading all of your informative posts again! The addiction begins again....

We are planning on getting engaged within the next 4-6 months and are beginning the exciting and slightly nerve wracking process of buying one of the most beautiful things in the world - a diamond! :kiss2:

We have a few questions I'm hoping we can get some clarity on before we begin to contact vendors. We are hoping to find a RB in the 3.5 range approximately J-K color and SI1 with the closest we can get to ideal cut without breaking the bank completely.

Based on my recent searches, it seems like pricing varies quite a bit.
How long might it take to locate a diamond with great proportions and what might we expect to pay? Is 20-25k realistic even in the slightest? Is a different shape like a OMC a better value in this range?
Are there certain vendors (James Allen, Whiteflash, etc.) that would be best to contact in helping us locate a fireball that is slightly warmer?

I know this will be a process and thought we would tap into the experts knowledge and advice first. I have been reading a lot of your posts over the past few weeks with many many more as time permits.

In advance, thank you for your help and I hope you all have a wonderful day.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I would vote OEC for the way the cut holds colour & dare order too.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Then, this is a surprise - www ... If August Vintage makes new versions of the OMC this well, they might well come up with a very beautiful one fitting your requirements better.

rambling!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stretching your parameters and putting them into the search bar at the top of the forum, there are only 30 or so stones that have potential to perform well and hit or come close to your desired requirements!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then, this is a surprise - www ... If August Vintage makes new versions of the OMC this well, they might well come up with a very beautiful one fitting your requirements better.

rambling!

That is cool - it looks like a Yoram stone!

Reactions: AV_

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DbL has some nice looking stuff, although nothing in rounds right now:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could be worth dropping Yoram a line if you fancy any of these ones - he might be able to custom cut :)

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock
Could be worth dropping Yoram a line if you fancy any of these ones - he might be able to custom cut :)

What a great idea!

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock
Stretching your parameters and putting them into the search bar at the top of the forum, there are only 30 or so stones that have potential to perform well and hit or come close to your desired requirements!

Thank you so much for including this! Some of the stones look absolutely beautiful. I really appreciate the time you took to help me.
How do you think an M would look color wise? Would some flor help the stone face up a bit whiter? I'm thinking that after the holidays the selection might improve.

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock
I would vote OEC for the way the cut holds colour & dare order too.

I love them too! I will keep looking. Please feel free to let me know if you find anything exceptional.
I am thankful for your help and cant wait to find "the one".

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
If you’re open to M in a MRB, you should check out Brian Gavin’s Cape collection.

I prefer old cuts, but that’s strictly a personal preference.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An M will definitely show some tint from most angles and in most lights, but if it's cut well, it will also strongly return bright light and coloured fire :)

Don't forget that stones are graded face-down, rather than face-up, so they don't have light return to lift the colour!

You should check out some threads with lower coloured stones, though - they can look a lovely, creamy vanilla colour, but it is entirely your personal taste you need to buy for. It's no good buying something because someone on the internet says so - you have to love what you buy, it has to call out to you, so 'going with your gut/heart' is a good idea. :)

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-link-for-j-k-color-1ct-thread.251801/post-4623036 (wise advice)

Trawl through and find some more! :)

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Are you interested in yellow diamonds? Some of the comments believe me you’re maybe leaning that way. I have a beautiful brownish yellow 3.3 ct that I purchased well under your budget. It was prob only in my budget because it’s a brownish yellow. It was sold as a very well cut colored diamond and I do believe that’s true. Here are some photos: 615EB7C5-2C4B-4F18-82C6-13E25C8CFBE5.jpeg 6987F9CC-EE3B-4401-9971-38C227CAC1B7.jpeg

I know they’re not super easy to find but maybe it could be an option?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you interested in yellow diamonds? Some of the comments believe me you’re maybe leaning that way. I have a beautiful brownish yellow 3.3 ct that I purchased well under your budget. It was prob only in my budget because it’s a brownish yellow. It was sold as a very well cut colored diamond and I do believe that’s true. Here are some photos: 615EB7C5-2C4B-4F18-82C6-13E25C8CFBE5.jpeg 6987F9CC-EE3B-4401-9971-38C227CAC1B7.jpeg

That looks incredible :love:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In terms of yellow-coloured stones with good light performance, some more examples to consider (ignoring shape!)... :)

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
That looks incredible :love:

Thank you! I never thought I’d ever get a 3 ct diamond in my 20s so I’m super excited! Plus round and yellow is really my jam.

It’s at David Klass right now being reset into a temp solitaire while I figure out if I want to make changes to it/ how to make it easier to resize so it doesn’t have to go to California every time I need to resize it. I’ve steadily gained a lot of weight since my husband and I got first together and I expect my weight will fluctuate a bit more...

But I can’t wait to get it back! The wait is killing me.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know we don’t normally recommend SI2 stones but this are worth an inquiry

over budget but fun to think about lol

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock

I know we don’t normally recommend SI2 stones but this are worth an inquiry

over budget but fun to think about lol

These are SO beautiful! Thank you for posting them. Now I'm really wondering which shape to choose :love:

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock
An M will definitely show some tint from most angles and in most lights, but if it's cut well, it will also strongly return bright light and coloured fire :)

Don't forget that stones are graded face-down, rather than face-up, so they don't have light return to lift the colour!

You should check out some threads with lower coloured stones, though - they can look a lovely, creamy vanilla colour, but it is entirely your personal taste you need to buy for. It's no good buying something because someone on the internet says so - you have to love what you buy, it has to call out to you, so 'going with your gut/heart' is a good idea. :)

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-link-for-j-k-color-1ct-thread.251801/post-4623036 (wise advice)

Trawl through and find some more! :)

You sure know how to pick beautiful stones and settings!

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock

WOW!!! That's gorgeous

DiamondFix

Rough_Rock

rambling!

I've never heard of August Vintage but I'm so glad I know of them now

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results