shape
carat
color
clarity

Help: Which large RB would you pick? Which is cut better?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Definately another vote for the larger one with the less inclusions - couldn''t handle the salt n pepper effect..
Another thought, as DS has already mentioned, I would seriously consider having either re-cut into a slightly smaller size, to improve both cut and potentially clarity- if you have it re cut to ideal standards, this will also help mask the warmth of the stone..
I am certainly not very imformed when it comes to this process though, so an opinion from a professional would be best If you did want to consider this route..
i ditto the others though, whatever you decide what a nice choice to have!
5.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would pick the larger warmer diamond. Personally I would also keep it in the existing setting, but thats me!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 7:14:09 PM
Author: francesfarmer
the larger one before I cleaned it. It has a wrap wedding band, but I feel like Mr. T with both of them on!
LOL!

I vote for the larger one also.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldnt be able to stand the inclusion, so I go for the bigger one
1.gif

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock
Just a suggestion. If you can take the cleaner diamond out of it''s mounting, find someone who has a Sarin machine and have them figure the cutgrade and the recut on the stone. The darker stone''s color appearance and brillance can be greatly improved. Fine cutting improves the light performance which makes the color appears better. The Sarin machine will tell you what the stones cutgrade is in both AGS and GIA cut grading systems (if they have purchased the programs). If lets say it comes out as a AGS cutgrade 5, which is usually a GIA Good, the recut program will tell you the finished weights in all the better cutgrades. With this information, it might make your decision a little easier. Go to a store that has larger stones that are fine cut and compare the brillance and I think it will make really help you choose what is the correct stone for you.

Good Luck!

Dan

francesfarmer

Rough_Rock
Thank you all very much. I think you all made the decision to go with the larger, warmer stone easier for me. And Dan - that''s a great idea about the Sarin machine, these stones are OLD so I am curious about the quality of the cut.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
frances, from what I can see, neither stone appears to be an OEC, they look like modern RBs to my eye. At least from what I can see.

francesfarmer

Rough_Rock
Thanks surfgirl - they''re not OECs, I''m not sure how old they are, I''d guess 50-70 years old.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you started wearing the larger one? What are the stories on the two rings?

francesfarmer

Rough_Rock
Hi Addy,
No I haven''t, really I''m just dreaming. I''m not engaged (I am in a VERY ltr), but I''m thinking of using one of these as my e-ring if I do become engaged... I''m not sure if it''s appropriate or not though since they''re already mine.
A friend of mine recently let her BF propose to her with her grandmother''s stone and everyone talked about it behind her back, saying the guy was cheap. Our girlfriends seemed to think she got cheated, since she already would own that diamond, engagement or not.

CLOSE UP May 2008 174.jpg

disneybride

Shiny_Rock
Are those arrows I see in the latest picture??

disneybride

Shiny_Rock
Frances, if I wore a four carat ring I wouldn''t think twice about where it came from or who it belonged to! I think it''s beautiful to wear an heirloom stone and most PSers feel the same way. Your stone is beautiful and looks like it displays some blue flourescence which, in my opinion, is gorgeous. I would wear that baby happily even if it came from the grandmother of the man in the moon!

P.S. anyone who would talk about your enormous ring is probably dealing with a little green-eyed monster....just an FYI.

francesfarmer

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 3:13:18 PM
Author: disneybride
Are those arrows I see in the latest picture??
Disneybride,
Ha! As I mentioned above, this stone was cut a loooong time ago, so it''s unlikely there are arrows (right?)

I''ll attach another pic just for fun - these are of the 4.5 ct warmer colored stone, after a cleaning.
I''m wearing it on my index finger in the photo.

CLOSE UP May 2008 140.jpg

francesfarmer

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 3:17:45 PM
Author: disneybride
Frances, if I wore a four carat ring I wouldn''t think twice about where it came from or who it belonged to! I think it''s beautiful to wear an heirloom stone and most PSers feel the same way. Your stone is beautiful and looks like it displays some blue flourescence which, in my opinion, is gorgeous. I would wear that baby happily even if it came from the grandmother of the man in the moon!

P.S. anyone who would talk about your enormous ring is probably dealing with a little green-eyed monster....just an FYI.
Thanks!! I love the idea of wearing an heirloom as well, but it would be mine to wear either way. However, logic says it''s more beautiful than a lot of things the BF could afford, so why lock it in a closet and make him buy me a smaller one when I already have one to wear?
Thank you for the kind words :)

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
After looking through this whole thread a second (okay, third) time...I''m definitely a voter for the larger, warmer colored stone. Not because it''s larger, though, but because it seems to be cut better and it''s a much clearer, cleaner stone.

So lucky you are to have not one, but TWO giant stones!!

And I think it''s a great idea to use that stone for your engagement. When you are ready to become engaged, just give your man the diamond, and have him set it in a totally to-die-for setting...and that would make it a whole new ring!

francesfarmer

Rough_Rock
Thanks tberube!
I''m attaching a pic of the 4.0 ct, more included stone, taken outside (this stone was in my ring finger while the larger was on my index - ie these shots were taken under the same lighting conditions).
Sorry to keep bumping my own thread - it''s just that ever since I realized I could use one of these as my e-ring I have been totally obsessed. An engagement, however, is nowhere in sight right now.
I''ll definitely go with the warmer stone over the more included one.

CLOSE UP May 2008 138 CROPPED 2.jpg

snowflakeluvr

Shiny_Rock
when the time comes, let your significant other buy you a gorgeous custom-fit band to go with that bad boy-enjoy wearing it-it''s stunning
emsmile.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, Leon Mege setting and wedding band. That can be his contribution! The diamond looks good now, but I am sure I''d have it recut to make it ideal cut and reduce the size just a little (unless you live in Beverly Hills or something)!

disneybride

Shiny_Rock
Frances, I''m not as experienced as many of the other PS ladies, but I''m 99% sure I see some arrows, especially in the second to last picture you posted! I agree with the previous poster to give it to your DF and let him pick a setting. You could have him recut it down to roughly 3 carats if you''re very self-conscious and want him to spend a little money.
1.gif

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
OMG it is beautiful.

hands down, less inclusions. the other one would drive me crazy.

the stone cleans up VERY nicely
36.gif

francesfarmer

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 6:39:00 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Yeah, Leon Mege setting and wedding band. That can be his contribution! The diamond looks good now, but I am sure I''d have it recut to make it ideal cut and reduce the size just a little (unless you live in Beverly Hills or something)!
Thanks! I''m in NYC but I''m not usually a flashy person. I''m afraid to have it recut if there is any risk of it cracking or otherwise being damaged though, since it''s an heirloom.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes - the warmer one for sure - it looks so nice!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 2:52:38 PM
Author: francesfarmer
A friend of mine recently let her BF propose to her with her grandmother''s stone and everyone talked about it behind her back, saying the guy was cheap.
That makes me sad. Passing on a family heirloom is now cheap?
7.gif

As for your rings, I think they are both lovely, but I prefer the one you chose to be your potential future engagement ring. Any ideas how you might want to reset it?
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a lovely choice to have to make. I far prefer the larger stone, but I wouldn''t kick the smaller out of bed for eating crackers!!

I think both are beautiful.

And using family heirlooms does not equal cheap!!!

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
ff, since ur in NY, perhaps we can see the beautiful stone.

Harriet and I were suggesting a NY get together. If and when, hope to see her there!!!

francesfarmer

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/29/2008 2:02:48 PM
Author: Eva17
ff, since ur in NY, perhaps we can see the beautiful stone.

Harriet and I were suggesting a NY get together. If and when, hope to see her there!!!
Thanks Eva! Sadly for me the stone is locked up in the bank until I am "old enough" to wear it but keep me updated!

chirp

Shiny_Rock
definitely the warmer one.

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a thought - you could have the more included stone set into a pendant, and then have a way to wear both! I agree that the inclusions would bother me in a ring, but probably not as much in a pendant.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The warmer diamond looks to have a decent enough cut to my eyes, it looks good! Wear that baby proudly!!!

jessicat

Rough_Rock
I know I''m late coming in to this, but I just wanted to say: WOW!!! Those rings are so fantabulous I can hardly believe my eyes. Lucky you! I like the larger cleaner stone best, like most people it seems. For the record, I also agree that anyone who would call you or your FF cheap if you used it as an e-ring is jealous - in no way is using an heirloom cheap, and NOT to wear either of the rings would be the crime in my eyes. Enjoy when you do finally get to wear one, and come back with pictures!

Jessica

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results