shape
carat
color
clarity

Help: Which large RB would you pick? Which is cut better?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

francesfarmer

Rough_Rock
If given the choice between the pictured two RBs as your e-ring, which would you choose?
The larger is supposed to be 4.5 carats. It has a very warm color and one visible but well hidden inclusion

The smaller is supposed to be 4 carats. It has many black and white very visible inclusions, but a much whiter color.

Also, I know its hard to tell since they are mounted, but is one cut better than the other?

Either would be remounted in a tiffany style (maybe suberbcert) setting

francesfarmer

Rough_Rock
Smaller is on the left. Can you tell which is cut better?

CLOSEUP Apr 2008 033.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
An interesting conundrum! Personally speaking, I love warmth, and the single visible inclusion doesn''t bother me, but the salt-and-pepper effect of the more included stone would drive me crazy. To my eye, the bigger stone is just, well, prettier ... but before you make a decision, please, take both rings to an appraiser! Cut is immensely important, and pretty much impossible to gauge via pictures.

P.S. - Is price a factor in the decisions, are they family stones, great local deals, is this a purely hypothetical question ...? I''m just wondering why the choice is between these two specifically (if I''m being nosy, apologies - just curious!).

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally I would pick the one with warmth because I absolutely cannot stand black inclusions. Period.

francesfarmer

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your help!
I''m leaning toward the larger one - I actually prefer the smaller size, but as you said, the inclusions are very obvious, and I think that would bother me as well.
Price is not an issue - whichever (one) of the stones I choose I will keep, free.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a nice problem to have! I think the inclusions are less obvious in the larger one, so I would choose it, probably. I also love the baguette setting and think it would be beautiful if polished! That is like a Harry Winston setting, so keep that in mind before you switch it to a Tiffany repro setting.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 5:51:23 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Wow, what a nice problem to have! I think the inclusions are less obvious in the larger one, so I would choose it, probably. I also love the baguette setting and think it would be beautiful if polished! That is like a Harry Winston setting, so keep that in mind before you switch it to a Tiffany repro setting.

Ditto!

I''d definitely go for the warmer colored stone. The other one has lots of inclusions and I don''t think I could handle that! I also love the baguette setting as is, personally!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Ceteris paribus I''d choose the J colored stone--the other appears too murky for my taste.
1.gif
Good luck on your decision!

cheers--Sharon

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
the larger one looks like it might be better cut. could you take photos of each stone, one at a time in macro mode?

oh, and i''d rather have a warmer color stone than one with several black inclusions. i have a F SI2 with a black inclusion, but i don''t mind so much because it''s very small to see, and a small stone (1/2 ct).

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Since they''re both flawed, I''d go big
2.gif

Besides better one inclusion than a bunch, no?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
the right one is clearly warmer from the side view. From the top it is not so bad. But the color might bother me.

Ice Princess Cristy

Shiny_Rock
I personally would never be able to get past the inclusions.... it would be something that would make me self concious and I would also be feeling like I needed to clean it.....
Most wouldn''t notice the coloring, and some people even prefer a warmer color. I would definately get them appraised..... did I miss the reason you were looking at only those 2?

francesfarmer

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate everyone''s advice. I took around 100 photos of both of them, in macro mode, but I don''t know if I have individual photos - I can''t take any more at the moment bc the rings are back in their safe deposit box at the bank, but I can post more pics...

Also, the reason I want to reset the stone is because I want it to look more modest, and I prefer very low settings - these things are very unwieldy! I''m a young woman. I like the baguettes too though.

The reason I''m only considering these two rings is because they''re in the family so I get to pick one.

francesfarmer

Rough_Rock
the larger one before I cleaned it. It has a wrap wedding band, but I feel like Mr. T with both of them on!

CLOSE UP Apr 2008 002.jpg

francesfarmer

Rough_Rock
The larger one, again before I cleaned it. Any ideas about the cut?

CLOSE UP Apr 2008 005.jpg

francesfarmer

Rough_Rock
neither had been cleaned at this point.

CLOSE UP Apr 2008 017.jpg

francesfarmer

Rough_Rock
Again before they were cleaned, but you get the idea

CLOSE UP Apr 2008 024.jpg

cwj

Shiny_Rock
I vote for the bigger one! Oh but please give that baby a bath!!!

Please post pictures when u decide,

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
How cool to have two ginormous family stones to choose between!

I too love the larger one - hands down. The inclusions in the smaller one would really bother me. I am not terribly color sensitive, but I would definitely take lower color over more inclusions any day.

I agree about the setting. I love it in the baguette setting, and would love to see it polished up. If I were you, I would have it polished up, and wear it for a while in the baguette setting before having it reset. If it still feels unwieldy to you, then have it reset. I''m not a huge fan of the baguette wrap for a young woman, but I would hold onto it. Maybe when you are older, you would like to wear them together. I just love the idea of getting to wear an heirloom.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Larger one with fewer inclusions fo sho! My eagle eye can't handle inclusions!

I like the baguette setting too!

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
FEWER inclusions - no contest if it were my choice. Lucky you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The table size looks pretty good on the larger stone. At least it does not have a huge table with a little crown. But even if it had a poor cut, you could easily have it recut into a very nice 3+ ct. stone!

(Incidentally, I love the baguette setting, but I also wouldn''t wear that wrap band. A baguette eternity ring would look better, IMO.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go for the lesser of the flawed...I agree, you are a lucky gal to have this decision to make!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results